Pella Windows and DoorsPella windows are crap!

We spent a lot of money on pella windows and they turned out to be crappy. We get so much moisture around are windows that a rag is soaken wet. We called pella several times complaining about the problem A guy even came out to our house to look at our windows. He said our house is seeled up to tight thats why we get moisture.That is not true, we even have a dehumidifier. They did nothing about helping with the problem. I do not recommend pella windows to anyone.

• Pa
    Paolino Paperino Aug 14, 2015

I agree, Pella is bad from start to finish. The product is bad, the installation wrong and the customer service the worse you can get. Trying to contact the headquarter does not help. They do not stand behind their product as they claim, they also add damage to your home (e.g. my floor) and they do not take responsibility for the damage and pain they cause to you.
    Going for Pella will just result in a nightmare. Stay away from them!

• Re
    Reed Carpenter Jul 05, 2015

1991 Family Room Addition...Pella Designer Series...casement & fixed windows...wood sill and wood sash bottom rail totally rotted out...wood components do not appear to have been treated for rot...defective design of sash glazing...as an Architect I thought Pella was a superior product which should last a life time...I was very wrong...I recently started to repair what appeared to be surface rot...what I discovered is an horrendous problem...I will be contacting the local Gunton/Pella architectural sales representative tomorrow morning...my 1927 home has wood double hung which are in great shape and I expect they will last at least another 88 years...

• Pe
    Pella Sucks Jan 17, 2015

I built a house in 2000 with Pella Pro Line windows. I have four sliding doors and 38 windows. I have had to replace ALL of them due to rot. I was able to get Pella to give me many of the replacement sashes, no labor credit, prior to the expiration of the ten year warranty. Now all of the sliding doors are rotting out as well as the fixed windows. Even the replacement sashes that are only four years old are starting to show signs of trouble. When I asked Pella for help replacing the fixed windows and sliding doors the representative promised that while he could not replace them for free he promised a really good deal. That great deal turned out to be twice as expensive as any competitor. Way to sick it up my you no what Pella. NEVER, EVER AGAIN WILL I USE A PELLA PRODUCT!!! I am laughing last as they just lost a $50, 000.00 chance to put windows in my sister's new home because of the way they treated me. By the way they told me I had to wax and re-caulk my windows every six months to protect the warranty.

gsmckee Sep 26, 2012

As we all know if Pella were providing quality customer service for their shifty product there would be no negative postings on the web. We have also found out, by purchasing 49 Pella Architect Series Double Hung windows, that Pella does not stand behind their products. We are now working out our differences in a court of law. As many of you may know, once you have been taken by a company, at least in Iowa, we only had 2 years to file with the court for help. We gave Pella the benefit of the doubt and nearly 2 years to fix our windows. They refused to even attempt to provide any communication unless we called every day or emailed every day. We then figured out that Pella was only "playing us" to run out their 2 year time frame. So here we sit, waiting on the Iowa Court System to play out. Our trial is set for Marion County Court, Iowa on February 12, 2013. This has been a long time coming, as we have been homeless since the fall of 2009 when we installed our Pella windows into our home. They leak water/snow so badly that we have an extremely awful mold problem when it is wet. You can see the videos that are posted on YouTube of our home under Pella Window Problems. We posted these so that other home owners could see the potential windows that they might be thinking of putting into their homes. We want to educate the population on our problems. Please do your homework!

gsmckee Sep 20, 2012

I don't know if I would go as far as many who have posted. Pella is a window company. How hard can it be to build a good window for a window company? From my experience, I have come to decide it has to be that Pella just does not want to stand behind their products, at least in our home. We have a home full of newly installed, in 2009, Pella Architect Series windows. Many, if not most, leak. Pella has been to our home several times. They tell us one thing while their staff is is in our home, then they NEVER follow through. We have dozens of letters saying just what they will do, in fact we made a tape recording, the last time they were in our home. They will not stand behind what they said. So we can only conclude, Pella just simply does not stand behind their defective products. Make sure that you read carefully and do your homework before you purchase from Pella!

• Bm
    BMWDG3 Sep 09, 2012

I built a new house in 1989 and installed Pella windows at a cost of $14, 000.00 (serious money at that time), and after 23 years they have held up fine. Everyone I talked to in the building business said Pellas were the very best windows and doors and nothing else was even close. In October of 2010 I replaced my metal fronts double doors with Pella fiberglass dark Mahogany doors and with the installation cost I invested almost $3000.00. Now the outside of both doors where the sun hits, they have turned a chalky white. I can not believe they failed in less than 2 years. I am so mad I can not see straight, and NO for the 50th time, I do not have storm doors in front of the outside of the Pellas, which Pella says will cause big time problems. NEVER BUY PELLA FIBERGLASS OUTSIDE DOORS. I wish someone would have advised me before this bad decision. I think Pella did make good doors and windows in the past, but like most company they now make junk and try to go on their past reputations.

• Bo
    bocam39 Aug 23, 2012

To whom it may concern:
    I had my first appointment with your company to install my windows on November 4th 2011. I took that day off from work and waited at my home. When your worker did not arrive at the scheduled time, I called Pella in Montreal to ask what was going on. I was told the worker’s truck had a problem and could not make it to my house. Why did the Pella not call me to inform me this themselves? Why did I have to call your company to be told my appointment was essentially canceled? This is unacceptable customer service. I am employed at an architecture office. Projects have deadlines that must be respected thus I must inform my boss in advance when I need to takes days off. My wages are hourly and I lost income due to your worker’s unreliability. I then had to take another day off from work to schedule a second appointment with your company.
    The second appointment to install my windows was on November 11th, 2011. Since this appointment, more than 9 months have passed and the installation of the windows are still not complete (see images in document). The joints of the windows were exposed throughout last winter and are still exposed today. This is not only affecting the esthetics of the windows and my hom but it is also damaging the frames structurally.
    I have called Pella in Montreal several times since April to ask for the windows to be completed. Finally, a worker was sent to my home on June 12th, 2012 whereby I had to take yet another day off from work. I honestly thought that this would be the final time that I would have to take time off from work for these windows. However, this was not the case. A Pella employee came to assess what work remains for the windows and then told me that he could not finish the work today because he had 5 other homes waiting to be done first.
    I have spent close to 10 thousand dollars for my windows which I believed came from a reputable company. Your salesman and your contractor told me that I had made the right choice to buy Pella windows. However, I have not received the service nor the final product that I was promised and for which I have paid top dollars in full. Other than the fact that the exterior of the windows are not complete, here is a list of additional problems:
    1. One of the windows has two handles missing
    2. Unacceptable workmanship
    3. All nail holes were left exposed
    4. The ends and edges of all trims are not stained
    5. Some elements are not assembled well
    6. Damages caused by windows not being sealed

I have purchased a total of four windows from your company and I am very disappointed and unsatisfied with not only the product you have provided but also the very poor service. The quality of work I was provided was very different from the windows that are on display in your show room; you have not met my expectations, you are deceiving your customers and this is unacceptable. The cost of each window is close to $2500 each, a high price to pay for the windows and service you have provided. I am very disappointed with your company.
    Since June 12th, 2012, I have not received any news from Pella. I am expecting an official letter from your company which states when the work on my windows will be finally completed. If there is any structural damage to the frames of the windows due to inclement weather I expect your company to repair them free of charge. Additionally, any damage around the windows caused by the fact that windows were not properly sealed must also be properly repaired by your company. Moreover, I have a two year warranty on these windows. The warranty should only begin on the day the work on the windows has been complete.
    I hope that this is the last time I need to contact your company with regards to the unfinished and unsatisfactory level of work that you have provided. Note that if you do not respond to this letter adequately I will be forced to pursue legal action.
    Thank you for your immediate cooperation, Bo Teng

• Pa
    pamorjim Aug 14, 2012

We have 15 pella windows, 4 bay windows, 2 sets french doors. First window installed has just a little graying wood at lower right corner. However 1 bay window in second floor had a round spot on the window sill/seat that bubbled ( i thought my daughter spilled perfume or something) Then after several years it seemed to grow larger. I had the builder come back and look at it, he took pictures and a Pella rep came to look at it. Pella sent new flashing. No one wanted to repair, do the labor or give me estimates on cost to do the labor. Just ignored the problem. Now, it has grown all across the seat and large bubbles on the one side. Local contractor advised to get a mediator to inspect. Sounds costly. Sounds like that is the next step. Anyone know the outcomes of the class action suit against Pella?

• Pe
    Penny Greenless Apr 05, 2012

I have been in my house for 11 years now and every winter we have moisture up at least half the window. I have black around the wood now and it looks awful. My sliding door has water laying in the run of the door and now my wood on the inside is rotted. They came out to check it and I have 2 sets of window's that fog up that they are replacing but as for the door they said it's because I didn't clean the snow away from the door. I guess I shouldn't live in Ohio where it snow's because that door doesn't hold up. I am very frustrated because they want me to pay to replace it and I feel it is there product that didn't last.

• Dr
    D Robb Mar 21, 2012

I can solve all of the condensation issues everyone has.

Listen really close: unlock your window and let the cold air in. That's right, thats what your old windows were doing. Pella has designed their windows to seal as tightly as possible. Now when the temp of the int. pane of glass drops below dew point you are going to get condensation, its almost unavoidable during very long very cold runs of weather. If the humidity is higher than 0% in your home, and it is, and the humidity outside is 0% you Will get condensation, its almost unavoidable.

First thing to look at. 1 Do you have Low-E and argon, if you window is less than 15 years old you should or your contractor ripped you off.

2 If you answered yes to 1 than get a humidity gauge for your home and keep it below 35% this is healthy living standard, and anything in excess of it will make it very difficult to get rid of int condensation.

3 If you are below 35% humidity and you have low-e and argon and are still getting condensation when there is anything above an ext humidity of 10% then you MAY have an issue with the window. On a Pella I recommend you go outside and check the lower piece of aluminum on your sash. Is it loose? yes? call your pella service dept, you need a new sash.

Pella windows don't cause int condensation, do a little research on the causes of it and you may be shocked to learn the reason you get it is because the window performs so well.

• Es
    Esmer Feb 20, 2012

STOP! TURN AROUND!!! PELLA CAN NOT BE TRUSTED!!! BEWARE OF PELLA!!!
    The warnings I wish I had before signing that contract with Pella. In April 2011 we purchased two sets of French doors and two sidelights. The installations could be compared to a very bad DIY project. One door would not open completely while the other set doors would not close properly, and that was just the minor issues. After many calls and complaints, Pella sent another crew. They pulled everything out and started from the beginning and did a fanatic job. We were happy for about three month. Then I noticed grilles falling off the door and sidelight. Pella's tech said two doors and one sidelight had to be replaced. On November 2011 the doors were replaced but the sidelight was not because the replacement was also defective. The installation of the doors was once again installed improperly, making it hard to close and lock. That's not all. Now the new replacements are defective as well, grilles falling off them. Pella sent another tech to inspect. He said all doors and sidelights were defective and must be replaced. It's going on 4 months and we're still waiting. Pella is waiting too; waiting patiently for us to go away. Fat chance, Pella.

• Su
    Sue Jarecki Jan 24, 2012

We put PRO line 2 on the South side of our house and PRO line 3's on the North side. We have no problem with the PRO line 3's but the PRO line 2's are not so good. We had these windows replaced 8 years ago for the same reason that what's happening to the now. The varnish is popping off and the wood is starting to rot. We had the Techs come out and look at the windows and they told us that we had too high humidity in our house. When the service called me to inform me that Pella can't replace these windows due to high humidity in our house. I asked him if the humidity is so high then why are the North side windows doing the same thing. He said he don't know why and can't answer that. I told him the humidity stays around 40% (which is the norm.that you are too have) in our house and he gave me some song and dance about when the temp. drops at night so should you humidity, I told him that I do not check the humidity level in the middle of the night due to I'm sleeping. He said that Pella just suggest that we use a 50/50 Clorox water mix, clean the wood, sand the wood then stain and varnish again. I told him that I shouldn't have to do that to windows that are 8 years old. The pictures that I saw is exactly what our windows are doing. Pretty sad when you can't get a window to last more than 10 years, we put a cheap Crest line in our garage and that window has been rained on snowed on and the humidity in the garage in the summer time is a little high and we have not had one problem with that window and it only costed us $50 bucks. I'm going to try to call Pella, Iowa and do some complaining there and see where that goes. Don't give up anyone keep complaining.

jodi jednat Jan 15, 2012

I have had nothing but problems with my window i had put in 2 years ago. I have dealt with the rep. many of times having him out to look at these and all i get out of him is the humidity is to high in my house.We run a dehumidifier and we still get all the condensation on them. I would like something done about this i spent way to much money on them.
    I refuse to deal with the same person i have in the pass, i will never tell people to buy pella windows.

Jodi

• Pb
    pb roy Jan 09, 2012

I have 7 out 17 Pella windows and 2 out 2 sliding doors that are rotting due to proline seal leak. No help from Pella.

• Cm
    cmpg Sep 19, 2010

$33, 000 top Pella Architect series wide muntin casements, fixed transoms, french doors, 6' half circle window. Installed 1998. W/in 2 yrs had Pella out due to sticking, dragging windows and what looked like swelling in bottom sash clad joint. Pella techs see no problem. Tell me sticking and dragging is "settling". I question the clad joint that faces 'up' on the bottom of the window - potential water problem. Techs tell me joints are super sealed and water will never, ever penetrate. I question how 'settling' causes the dragging in the MIDDLE of the one piece Pella casement unit/frame. Techs have no answer, but they stick in aluminum shims to raise casements. Same problems and call outs 3 more times. Same denials of any Pella problems. Techs even slop on some clear calking, even smearing the caulk in the aluminum 'joint'. Techs still claim that Pella windows are sealed and wood under cladding will NEVER swell. Last year call out again. Windows joints are swollen and several are rotting through to inside frame. Now the 6' Half circle window rubber seal visibly 'waved' up inside glass and condensation in inside entire glass window. This window is fixed and in a 20' peak. Pella denies replacing problem casements. Their claim: "Ooops, past 10 year warranty". Doesn't matter that we've had their techs out for 3-4 times in last 11 years. Pella ALSO denies replacing 6' half circle window with obvious seal issue. Their claim is the same: window installed 11 years ago. EVEN THOUGH PELLA SEALS ARE UNDER A 20 YEAR WARRANTY. $6500 estimate to replace rotting windows and 6' half circle window. Now why would we PAY to replace with Pella??? Lawsuit will be filed. Pella is brazen and while I have been reading other complaints, uses this tactic of dragging out Pella failed windows to beyond the warranty and/or excusing it to other problems. We had Pella supervisor check out installation and they still blamed builder/contractor issues, not their problem. I so want to walk up to new construction houses w/Pella stickers on their windows and tell them to Pella's issues. Our addition is beautiful(windows excluded), and we have had many people walk through for ideas before they begin their own project. We advise them NOT to use Pella Products. The original part of our home has double hung windows w/storms. No issues and 45 years old. We are in the Philadelphia area, so are not coastal, nor do we have year round humidity, or excessive rainy seasons. Previously, we lived in a 160 year old home in Boston Suburbs with the original windows still intact and operating. NO ROT. Pella windows won't last 10 years, let alone 160 years. BUYER BEWARE...

• Du
    du_crealty Sep 14, 2010

I am in agreement with gsmckee, as we are having similar probs, installed all of our Pella windows, sliding doors & skylights in 1990. Would like to get into onlinelitigationdiscovery.com site also, unable to due to same reason as gsmckee.
    Please anyone, can you help us? We don't have that kind of $$$ to replace anything at this time.
    du_crealty

gsmckee Aug 25, 2010

I am unable to get onto the website onlinelitigationdiscovery.com . I would like to read all the other comments if I could open this site. Can anyone help with this issue? Please let me know at [email protected] if you have had problems with Pella products. Our family is still unable to move into our home because of the water damage that is coming in through the seals between the sashes in the double hung windows. Pella nearly all once, but the water still continues to run in our house when it rains. We look forward to hearing from you.

• Gl
    glassguy213 Aug 13, 2010

I just want to say to SFPella that they need to do some checking. We have a neighbor in Claremont Hills (Berkeley where you live) who is in litigation with Pella. The stipulation for the case is that they NOT spread word of their settlement. They had about 40 windows installed- high end alum clad Architect- and they ALL leaked. They are the ones who turned me on to the problem. I have a house in KY with Proline windows and many (or all) are leaking and rotting. The windows have a KNOWN defect with the seal between the sash and the jamb and Pella can't deny it although they are trying because it will cost MILLIONS to correct!

Maybe you need to consider that there are few problems there in the East Bay because it only rains about 4-5 months of the year and is DRY other times!

The cause of the problem is a poor sealant application under the cladding related to a change in process at the factory. It will not be on all windows because sometimes it is applied in a way that works. Depends on how much water hits the window etc. Pella blames installation but if the installation is so critical why don't they make it so that it can't be installed incorrectly! They have been in the home products business to know that some jack-leg builder will handle their product. They are trying to shift the blame! PELLA SUCKS!!

You can see in my photos that the first is what happens first. This is a fixed window and the sash is soft and rotten.
    The second is a different window (casement) facing a different side. Clearly rotten sash.
    The third is the other casement window in the same set as number two (opposite corner)
    Finally a fixed window about 20 feet off the floor. I had to take pic from the balcony so not so good. Sash and sill are rotting. On a third side of the house. I have windows on the fourth side that I can't get pics of without a ladder.

• Co
    Colt Ducksnort Mar 04, 2020

@glassguy213 The problem is that the windows are made to be re-glazed from the exterior and they cannot get the seal to hold. It's as simple as that.

• Ab
    ABailey Jul 01, 2010

I'm sad to say that I've experienced many of the same problems with my Pella Architect Series Windows and Doors, including cladding problems, seal failure, spotting on the glass, rotting wood among other issues. These Pella windows and doors were installed throughout my house in 1995. Problems with the windows began less than 10 years after installation. Pella refuses to acknowledge these claims. On my website, onlinelitigationdiscovery.com, you can see photos detailing the defects with my Pella windows and doors.

I've very interested in hearing other people's similar experiences with Pella. If you have had these problems with Pella, please go to my website, onlinelitigationdiscovery.com and tell me your similar experience so that we may educate consumers. Thanks for your time! -A. Bailey

• Ab
    ABailey Jun 30, 2010

Reading through these posts, I'm sorry to say that I've experienced these same issues with my Pella Architect Series windows and doors (cladding problems, seal failure, rotting wood, spotted glass etc.) installed throughout my home in 1995. Pella denies responsibility for these issues. Please check out this website, detailing the various window and door failures/defects in my home: www.onlinelitigationdiscovery.com I'm interested in hearing any similar stories regarding your problems with Pella on my website. Thanks for your time!

• Am
    AmericanMade2010 Jun 15, 2010

If you're having serious issues with water leaking around your window and doors products, you might want to check out some test labs that specialize in those kinds of problems. Off the top of my head there are about 30 or so nationally accredited companies that specialize in that kind of work. Check out www.FTLtesting.com and you'll get an idea.

JOHNNY LEROUX10 Jun 02, 2010

I'm now in my 5th home that has had every window replaced with a Pella. Current home has 18 large windows - including 4 triple sliding doors. Never had one problem. Installer was meticulous which I've been told can make a huge difference with mold, moisture and potential mildew problems after removing and replacing a window. Most people that have had these issues with any window replacement - Pella or otherwise - had an installer that didn't have a clue as to how to install. They were merely handymen trying to disguise themselves as expert installers. This is a problem that Pella and any other manufacturer need to deal with because ultimately it affects the reputation of your company and your product. Pella has a great product if installed correctly!!

• Sf
    SFPella May 27, 2010

Hello, I work for the San Francisco branch of Pella and am very shocked to hear all of these complaints. It seems as though none of these are on the west coast which would be why I don't hear these stories. We constantly have returning customers coming into our showrooms wanting more of our products installed in other parts of their home or preferred customers wanting the Pella product and experience.
    I would like to address some of the complaints I've read.

1.) If you are having Low E put on your windows it will be slightly darker than a clear glass (only noticeable if two windows side by side are different.) The Sun defense and dual sun defense will be even darker but are more energy efficient.
    2.) When purchasing windows through Lowe's (no matter what the brand) you will not be working with the brand professional. Lowe's employees know a little of everything and that is why I would recommend by from the source such as a Pella windows and doors showroom where you can see displays of the products and speak with professionals. Also, Lowe’s does not hire Pella Certified Installer. All of the Pella Installers are certified and trained by Pella professionals.
    3.) The San Francisco branch has a service and parts department located locally to provide faster service if and when needed.
    4.) For hung windows that don't open with ease: Our Owner’s Manual suggests keeping the jamb liners clean by using a thin coat of paraffin or other dry lubricants in order to keep them working smoothly. You can also apply this to the sashes. DO NOT USE OILY LUBRICANTS!
    5.) Tips for winter time moisture management: open window coverings during daylight hours to increase airflow over the glass.

• Aa
    aaroan Feb 21, 2010

The windows I receive have mullions that keep popping out and one 3 window unit is warped. I call and bug surprise - they claim it is my fault. They said it was the spray insulation I used. Ya, sure, it is still spongy after curing. I can press on it and it will collapse, then when I release, bounce back. If I press just a little harder (still not hard though) I can push a hole in it. Ya, whatever Pella. And the mullions? Well, they'll send me new ones, promise. I wait and they don't. I call, they say they will. I wait and they don't. I call and they say they will. This goes on until the warranty is out and then - oh, sorry, your windows are out of warranty. I will NEVER buy Pella again. Worst decision financially. I hope others read this and know to stay away.

• Nd
    N Dep Dec 09, 2009

Pella windows Pro Line are all rotting away, the service guy who came to my house explained the caulk used on the windows in 1998 failed to hold the sash that is why water comes down the glass and rots the wood. My living room window was so bad you can stick your finger threw the wood. Because my window is out of warrenty by a whole 4 months it is not covered even though my first service call about this problem 2 years ago. The rep at the time saw the wood rot and just sent me a new window but the problem was it was the wrong window, So I have to pay over $2000 to get new windows for 2 rooms but they are giving me a discount but charging me $100 a window. These windows are crap and Pella should fix there problem. Look for wood rot underneath the window mine are casements. Yes they where painted.

gsmckee Nov 21, 2009

We purchased Pella Architect Douglas Fir double hung, low E and all that jazz. We have only had them installed in our home 2 months. From day one, we have been requesting that Pella deal with the problems we are having. We installed 53 windows and have a list of over 230 problems with those units. The problems range from daylight between the sashes, to wood that is totally split. To date we have not received any assistance. We live only 35 minutes from Pella Iowa, so distance is not an issue. One of the biggest problems is that we purchased douglas fir windows. We were dilivered simple pine windows with a thin layer of veneere. We are looking for others like us that are interested in joining in a law suit against Pella. We can be reached at [email protected] if you are interested in comunicating with us, we would like to hear from you. The rest of you, Stay Far Away From Pella!

• Pv
    pvbw Oct 19, 2009

I am also having leaking problems with my pella windows. We have a good, meticulous contractor who took all the siding off the house and sealed it like a submarine, so there can be no issues of water getting in around the wiondows and the windows still leaked. I am pretty upset about it. Insurance company is sending out engineers, but the agent believes it is the windows, and insurance doesn't cover construction/product issues. Pella sent a tech after we put over 100 on our cc to get them to make the service call and waited three weeks. The tech pronounced the glazing as ok, although he never got up on the tall ladder to check it. He just looked at the underside of the crankout where there is water damage. Today Pella called to declare the leakage is not their product, although the error on the miters of the metal cladding at the corners of the windows is clearly evident (overlapped wrong so water runs in). A couple years ago they had to replace another crank out window that rotted through, although the Pella rep conveniently overlooked this fact when I spoke to her, until I reminded her about it. We asked that the issue be appealed to the corporate office, so now I am waiting for that and the engineers.

Another poster here asked about a class action suit. There is one in the investigatory stages against the Pro-Line Pella product, which is what I have. Google and you will find the Chicago law firm.

I just want the leak fixed, permanently. Let's hope they do the right thing, but having read everything I can on this company on the net, I am not holding my breath.

• Io
    Iowa guy Oct 14, 2009

What ever you do, "DO NOT" let me say this again "DO NOT" install Pella windows!!!

They are junk!!!

I installed over 20k of them in 1994 and have had nothing be problems with them! They are the PRO Line wood windows. Everyone of them has rot on the bottom!

There is a law firm that is working on a Class Action suit right now!!

There a thousands of us out there!

JohnKress Oct 11, 2009

I just completed the installation of 7 Pella casement windows and an Anderson patio door in our family room three weeks ago. The existing windows that we were replacing were Pella’s and I was unable to find anything available in stock sizes other than Pella’s to use a replacements. The original Pella’s were single pane windows with inside storm panes, not insulated gas filled double pane units. We had a continual problem in the winter months with condensation building up on the sills and ice on the window panes when it was extremely cold outside (living in Minnesota).
    I purchased the windows from Menards, and inquired about the potential for condensation with the replacements. I was assured that these new windows are far superior to the ones I was replacing, that the gas filled panes should not have any condensation buildup like the original windows.
    I installed the windows according to the instructions provided with butyl sealing tape, installed in layers overlapping like shingles, starting at the bottom working to the top. I sealed the rough opening to window space with Dow Great Stuff. I must admit that the solar gain is vastly improved.
    Yesterday morning I awoke to find the outdoor temperature was 29 degrees F. I also noted that there was about 2 inches on condensation built up on the bottom of each of the window panes. At the same time the Anderson patio door was completely devoid of any condensation.
    Last year we replaced all of the other windows (slide-bys) with Crestline windows of the type. None of these windows had any condensation on them, either.
    What is the problem with the Pella’s?
    Is there any argon (or what ever type gas) between the insulated panes?
    Right now, as I write this, it is 37 degrees outside and there is nearly ½ inch of condensation on the bottom on all 7 of the Pella windows and nothing on the other windows.
    I’m going to proceed with a complaint to Pella, even though it sounds like a waste of time, from what I read here.
    I guess the prominent bit of wisdom I can pass along is this –
    DON’T BUY PELLA WINDOWS FOR ANY REASON WHAT SO EVER!

• Sh
    Sheila in Rockford Sep 14, 2009

Even though the Pella sliding patio door has the screen on the inside, we agreed to purchase it as long as it matched the side windows and it would qualify for the tax credit. We asked the salesman if the glass would be clear and not wavy. He assured us that it would match. It did not. When it arrived, the glass was darker. The salesman told us (after it was delivered) that it had to be darker for the tax cardit. We asked him to pick it up, cancel the contract and issue a credit. He offerred us several options, including replacing the glass with clear glass and giving us paperwork so we could get the IRS credit. THAT'S IRS FRAUD! That shows you the character of Pella. The salesman agreed to issue a credit back to the Wells Fargo credit card, and we called Wells Fargo and they said that they were showing that a credit was coming through. (Later Pella cancelled it.) We thought all was well. NOT. The salesman called again and offerred more options and we told him we were only interested in picking up the door and giving us a credit. This week the salesman left message on our answering machine twice: the first one was to say that he had one more option before issuing a refund. We called to say we wanted the refund. The second time, two days later, the salesman left message that he was processing the credit and wanted to know how much we paid to the credit card so he would not how much to credit. We called back to say to just reverse the amount and credit Wells Fargo for the full amount and we would worry about getting our overpayment from them. Before the sale, the salesman returned calls. Now he doesn't. Wells Fargo called the Pella Store here in Rockford and Pella told the credit card company that they could not issue a credit because we had to merchandise. THE MERCHANDISE IS WAITING IN OUR GARAGE FOR PICKUP!! Wells Fargo gave us a name of the fiancial mgr, but it appears he does not return calls either. We have no other alternative than to file a BBB complaint. By the way, the construction company for our Northwoods vacation home would only replace our windows with Anderson Windows. We had them for 2 years now and they are beautiful with no problems. The house is much warmer in the winter.

chrislm Sep 04, 2009

I would like to know if there is any current class action lawsuit going on regarding these windows. I cannot believe that they are able to keep producing this junk and we're powerless to get the word out and at least let people know there is a problem before they purchase, or that they have a problem developing with their windows and don't know it until it's too late. Honestly, I'm going to start attending the home shows and have photos available outside their booths to show people what happened to our patio doors and windows. I'll start a campaign in Milwaukee and surrounding suburbs to let the builders know what's going on with this company. Renovation companies, insurance companies...I'll send letters and photos to everyone I can think of. Perhaps we should all do that and we'll cover the nation!

John Bryan Aug 10, 2009

I have Pellas throughout my house and to be honest I cannot complain about quality. These windows are circa 1982 vintage. However, I can complain about the very high cost for parts. A single roller assembly for a sliding glass door with wood frame is approximantely $90. This is outrageous!! Also, when I went to Pella to purchase and have installed 6 windows for a church I help maintain, I learned a nasty lesson about shady marketing. The windows were on "SALE"! 30% off. But they still seemed very expensive. So I asked what the original price was and they told me they couldn't reveal that!!! I really pushed for this price but they were adamant in not giving it to me. I suggested that under these shady circumstances why the just didn't adveritise them as 90% off since they wouldn't tell you the price from which the 90% was derived. The salesmen were NOTHING but Salesmen. As soon as I signed the paper to purchase the windows - ALL service from the "salesman" ceased. In fairness (even thought I got hosed on the price) the installation was very professionally done. These were fibreglas framed because the single pane of glass was so large. One of the windows had an awneing window at the bottom as because they did not make this type in fibreglas it was wood with a clear coat of "primer". Pella want $300 to paint this one window. I would look at Marvin or Anderson the next time - though I have heard that Anderson only sells to builders.

• Ti
    tim Jun 09, 2009

If you want to deal with even a worse window and all time ripp-off company try dealing with Champion windows of Omaha. Totally junk windows and even worse customer service by the ripp off artist Alan Freilich. If you think Pellas are bad you had better run from Champion windows

• Df
    DFP Apr 21, 2009

I purchased a new home with Pella windows and besides moisture problems, many of the windows will not close and we have to go outside and push on them to close. We ended up suing the builder as rain would come in through the windows and Pella took the builders side since the builder is a big customer. Poor maintenance was their excuse! The judge felt the builder was at fault and we prevailed against the builder. I am shocked that such a horrible product can be sold as a high end product let alone a low end product. I can only hope my message saves someone from my ordeal. As a last note, I grew up in a home that was built in 1912. The original windows are still in this house and they never have had problems like the Pella's.

Andrew H Mar 28, 2009

I recently had Pella windows installed in my house, I hate these windows, they are crappy low quality junk. They were the recommended, mid level, most comon windows. I had a former relative hook me up directly with the the installer, so I cut out the middle man (Lowes) to save some money since I'm a single father raising 2 children, and every dollar counts. I would love to list what sucks about these windows, but its the fact that everything sucks about them, that seems to surprise everyone except the people who own them.The locks could easily be broken from the outside, they look horrible and are constantly shedding material, dont seal, for the most part dont function how they should, they make noises when the wind blows, (which i think has to do with the screens, which dont stay in place anyway), flippinthe open to clean takes alot of pratcies to not damage them, and sometimes the windows FALL OUT when I'm cleaning. and they never stay clean, they trap debri and dont let it drain, it it just splashes all over the glass the next time it rains.. I have yet to see any advantage over my 1950s era econo windows.I think the train that passes by my house is actually louder now and my heating bill hasnt changed... I'm near suicidal about dumping the last of my money into what I thought would be a worthy improvment for my home. I can hear the windows out back rattling right now as the wind blows

• Gq
    GQMGT Dec 31, 2008

Pella's customer service is as bad as it gets. In August I ordered a Pella custom door through Lowe's. When the door arrived, the quality of the finish was terrible. There was actually someone's hand print in the stain. A rep came and looked at it and ordered another door. This one arrived with the wrong color stain and broken glass. A third door was ordered. It arrived with white paint overspray on the stain side. At this point, I said I would keep the 3rd one provided they could compensate me something for everything I'd been through. It took them 3 weeks to offer me a whole $200. Lowe's finally intervened and gave me the door at cost. 3 months transpired from start to finish.
    My daughter installed 3 of their windows in a breakfast nook. They leak air something terrible. A Pella rep. looked at them and told my daughter to pull down really hard and lock it. Duh !! Her windows are junk !!
    Neither of us will EVER buy another Pella product.

• Bi
    Bill Willcox Nov 29, 2008

We paid $8000 for Pella doors and they need to be slammed to be shut. Wow! Pay that much money and they don't close well. Pella guy came out and talked to contractor and told him they close great, better than most. Ha! Talk about frustrated!

Jackie Nov 11, 2008

I agree that Pella windows are not the best quality and the service is not acceptable. I too have a lot of moisture on my windows. Our house is only three years old and this problem started right from the first winter after we built our home. I called and was told that we have too much humidity in our home because it is so new and that the moisture should go away. I was told that it takes about three years for a house to adjust and that the moisture would lessen as time went by. Rather, I have cracking paint around my window sills, mold around the window sills, and still enough moisture in my windows that I use about two towels to wipe up all the water every morning. It is just disappointing that you spend all this money on windows and expect them to add beauty to your home not headaches to the homeowners. I think they need to look into this problem and if their claim that it is because it is a new home with too much humidity is a common claim, they should work on improving their windows to help elevate this problem, not just passing the blame to the installer or blaming a house for being too tight and humid.

Jay T Nov 09, 2008

Bought a pella storm door 2 years ago. Started rotting out from the inside our. They charghed me $30 to ship another lower quality storm door to me that is going to fail like the first door. Do not buy a Pella product - poor quality with no customer service!!!

• Mi
    Mike Sep 27, 2008

I ordered 12 Pella windows about 3 years ago. 7 months later I ordered 7 additional windows for another room. Needless to say, I was very upset that they changed the look of the windows in the interim and my den windows do not match the windows in the rest of the house. To make matters worse, I ordered screens for the first batch of windows and made a point when ordering that I had the "old style" windows (they were only about a year old at that point). I was told they no longer carry screens for these windows but a service tech could make adjustments to make it work. Well the adjustment was drilling holes in the frames of all of these windows to allow the screens to fit. It looks horrible! And the shades between the glass are junk. Despite service calls and replacements, the shades are still crooked. Also, the attachments on the screens to raise and lower the shades do not fit securely over over the tab on the window making it very difficult and frustrating to adjust the shade when the screens are on.

Pella...what a disappointment.