Pella Windows and DoorsPella windows are crap!

We spent a lot of money on pella windows and they turned out to be crappy. We get so much moisture around are windows that a rag is soaken wet. We called pella several times complaining about the problem A guy even came out to our house to look at our windows. He said our house is seeled up to tight thats why we get moisture.That is not true, we even have a dehumidifier. They did nothing about helping with the problem. I do not recommend pella windows to anyone.

• Fo
    Former Pella Corp. employee Jan 16, 2007

I don't recommend them either, and I used to build them!

Saynoto pella May 10, 2018

@Former Pella Corp. employee Thank you for being honest.

• Ci
    Cindy S Jan 21, 2007

Window problems are often due to improper installation by the builder/contractor, which can void the warranty on the window. It's very hard to hold a builder/contractor accountable, and the companies will point fingers at each other. Make sure you document your complaint very well, and don't let important deadlines pass without written proof you notified them of the problem. You can find out about one common problem that's often done wrong, window flashing, on several good building sites like jlconline.com or buildingscience.com

Also, it's highly recommended you hire a competent expert to inspect and discover exactly why you have these problems. Get legal advice before deadlines run out too. Sometimes a state's statute of limitations runs LONGER than the builder's one year warranty but don't count on it.

It's not normal for excessive water to be coming in, no matter what they tell you. Many people have very low humidity and still have this problem because something leaking. You can buy small hygrometers to measure the humidity around your house.

If these houses are built to be so fragile that you can't have a normal life in them then it's a flaw in design/construction. No one should have to mop up water from a window in a new house.

Ann Apr 10, 2007

I ordered pella french doors 850 series. the doors I received looked different from their display and their answer was they change the style of that model and too bad for me the new style does not match the rest of the doors i already bought. They told me they do not need to update their display and had no even idea if their display would even be updated since they can change anything they want without having to change the display! ...buyer be aware what you're looking at when you look at pella display may not be what you'll be getting...never again I 'll buy from them their customer service is really arrogant next time I will buy some high end window like marvin even if it means spending more...I am telling everybody I know how little this company cares about their product which by the way does not look as good as in the showroom where the unfinished pine is coated with varnish and made you to look better than what it is ..cheap pine ,grade 1, but still cheap pine

• Ri
    ricky bobby May 17, 2007

They are a fine product you probably just don't maintain them properly like your owners manual says. And if they were made from grade one lumber they would have knots all through out the wood! Do some research and quit complaining.

• Pc
    P Chester Sep 18, 2007

Not only do the windows have serious problems, but the service is really bad too. I purchased a bay window that was damaged during delivery and now, 5 months later, I can't close up the wall because the service department has not even ordered my parts yet. They just called and needed the specs for the window so they can order the parts needed. A service tech came to my house 2 months ago to measure and make sure that the correct parts were ordered.

• Ga
    Gale D. Brugh Oct 14, 2007

We had a passive solar home built 20 years ago. We used Pella windows because we wanted quality. BIG mistake. From the start we had leaks. Pella blamed it on the builder. After 20 years of trying everything, we had a builder work on the problem only to discover that the windows did not have a flange on the bottom so water ran into the dormer wall and down thru the roof. The window frames were totally rotted. Finally after much expense and wasted time the windows are replaced and the leak has stopped.We had a similar problem with the sun room and Pella. Partially paid to fix that.

• Mg
    MG Oct 17, 2007

You need to make sure that when installing you follow the instruction to the letter. The windows are the best on the market for the money. The warranty is the best on the market. If the product is not installed to the specifications you WILL have problems no matter what.

• Th
    thew Jan 08, 2017

@MG Nope they are Garbage..

Michael DiMaggio Dec 06, 2007

Don't waste your money! We are on our 4th new house and the builder talked me out of Anderson Windows and put in Pella!
    The worst mistake of my life! At Pella's request we had our house tested for exsesive moisture, the test came out fine and Pella told us to take a hike! So for 3 years we get up in the morning and scrape ice of the inside of our windows ( have pitures to prove it) and try to keep them dry! I never had this problem with Anderson windows, so buy Anderson! One other thing are builder bought us a industrial dehumidifyer and guess what higher electric bills and water on the windows! So Pella said your heat is set to low, so now it is 70 F in our house and still water!
    So now lets see higher gas & electric bills and constantly wiping your windows,what a great life!

• Ro
    Rob K. Jan 13, 2008

I have two new Pella fiberglass moulded french doors in my new home.
    All the "DOORs" are 3/8 inch out of square from top to bottom edge. I'm not talking about the Jamb's being out of square, I mean the actual door.

The entry door with sidelight's and transom are another problem. They sent the wrong swing door and it took 8 months to get the replacement.

My contractor has been trying to get Pella to correct the French Door out of square problem for months and they claim it's the installation causing the doors to be out of square. There is no way that installing the jambs out of plumb can cause the fiberglass door to become un-square.

The would like to see Pella in a class action suit. Viewed by many to be junk.

• Co
    Colin Kean Jan 19, 2008

I have a Pella Bay window that was put in a new addition on my house. The window leaked from day one in Nov. 2006, seeping water all around the "seat" board and window trim edge. Pella (more the company that handles Pella sales in our Mid Atlantic region) came to my home about 5 times before they decided the problem was with a micro weld on the interior bottom of their window. The weld is supposed to direct the water to the weep holes outside, but was sending a small portion of the water back into the house. Pella agreed to replace the window and pay for the installation.

So the window was delivered to my garage in August 2007 (could have been late July) where we made sure it was put so that no damage could come to it. In September my builder came to install the window. I made sure I was home to see that It went straight from the garage and into the opening without incident. The installation was smooth as silk and I was convinced the problem was cured. Note: We were experiencing a drought all summer and fall. In November we got our first real rain out of the Northeast, which comes at that window. It leaked. I contacted Pella and let them know, and volunteered to double check some things to make sure the problem wasn't on my end. Then I had to wait for the next good rain.

The day after Christmas it rained and the window leaked like a sieve. It leaked 20 times worse than the other one ever did. We soaked up no less than 4 bath towels of water out of that window seat that day. Obviously I called Pella. They did schedule someone out to my house on Jan. 14th. He was very nice and caulked two spots on the window hardware on the window that he felt hadn't been done properly during manufacturing. I was pretty sure this wouldn't take care of it but we are taking corrective steps here, so I was not going to complain.

On Jan. 17th it poured rain. And I took on more water than I care to comment on in just a few hours. I mean a bath towel so wet after less than 4 hours that you couldn't pick it up without water pouring out of it. ---called Pella. The Manager with the distributor told me that his supervisors had told him the problem must be with the installation of the window and that they would come out and water test my window if I pay $3,000 up front. I told him I would call him back since that amount stuck in my throat upon first hearing it. I then went about double checking my window.

There is no problem with the installation. No water is coming in at all from the top or along the sides where the window meets the house. The water as I found with a simple "shower" test (no I did not hose water directly at the window but rather created a specific shower effect against the area where I suspect the water is coming in) and presto, it looks as if that same micro weld problem is happening. I showered only the lower corner of the bay window where the side window meets the front window glass and in just moments.... WATER. Nothing the hose touched had ANYTHING to do with the installation. Not where it meets the house and not where the roof was built over the window. Nothing! So I guess now I have to upfront money to Pella so they can come out and discover that they have another faulty window. Sadly I'm concerned that for them this is now going to be 100% about the cost, but now I have a window that leaks so bad that I'm afraid to not be home during a good rain! I'm calling them to schedule their "water test". I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a story of -they took my $3K and told me it wasn't any problem with their window, which I know is not the case. I'll post up when I have a result, but right now I'm not sure where I stand.

• Ni
    nicholas p lorenzo Jan 24, 2008

I have been in the glass and window industry for 25 years. I have replaced and repaired every window made and let me tell you that pella windows are the worst windows i have ever seen or worked on!also wait till you have to have service /repairs on them. I am presently trying to get parts for a client hows pella windows are less then two years old and havent had any luck at all. The saying you get what you pay for is counter intuitive when it come to pella. Over priced junk in my estamation!

• To
    Tom Carpenter Apr 25, 2008

I have the same moisture issue I see described by others here.
    I bought a bunch of Pella's and actually got some of the parts quick years ago when I first had issues, but it looks like I might be better off replacing them after looking at the rotted wood. The metal casing on the exterior has poor run-off design and traps moisture. A Pella rep was out when the window frames were exposed and when completed and he approved of the install. Years later, I see they rotted from under neath. I'm curious to see if they'll do anything for me.

• Co
    Colin Kean Apr 26, 2008

I'm on my second Bay and Pella just finished sending down an engineer to look over my window. Basically what they found was that the "micro weld" that they use was cracked at one of the angles. The problem as the engineer saw it occurred in the factory. He also found another break in the vinyl that had a piece missing that he felt was also at the factory. The caulking was sloppy inside the track and he cut out several big globs that were in places that would only direct the water to the cracked micro weld.

Pella has determined that I'm going to have to get ANOTHER Bay installed. I'm waiting on them now for delivery and install instructions. Now, they did not act as though this is a problem they are seeing a lot of, but that being said, this was my second already, and they leaked in similar ways.

• Na
    Nancy Greenstein May 12, 2008

We have had to have almost all the Pella windows in our home replaced. The warranty on the replacement windows will expire the same date as our original warranty. We are elderly, on a fixed income and expected these windows to last our lifetime. In this case we will need to sell our home before the replacement windows fail.

We had to pay for Pella to inspect the windows and then the labor on the replacements.

We have owned many homes over our lifetime and can say the inexpensive windows from Home Depot that we installed in a garage apartment two years before we installed Pellas look like new!

• Ec
    e.carr May 23, 2008

We have Pella doors and windows on our 8 year old house. All of a sudden EVERY window has mold at the bottom. I get no response from Pella on this.

• Re
    Red Jun 06, 2008

Pella hardware is absolute garbage. Just about all the cheap plastic covers between the window and crank have broken retainer tabs after five years of use. The roll pins that holds the crank to the shaft are always backing out. One by one the "blinds between the glass" mechanism for raising or lowering the blinds has broken due to a plastic pin on a roller bearing that breaks.

Stay away from this junk!

• Db
    d bohler Jul 07, 2008

I had 8 Pella windows installed by Pella reps within the last 20 months. I am experiencing a leak between the a double window installation. The Pella tech has shown up twice with caulk gun in hand. As the leak appears to be related to the direction of the wind and rain on the window, I can't yet tell if this will temporarily fix the leak or no. The leak appears to be between the windows. However, I did not buy Pella windows and have them installed by Pella to have Pella put caulking all over them to keep them from leaking. Something basically wrong here. I sense that Pella is trying hard to weasel out of the warranty which, by the way, is an insurance policy that the customer pays for when he buys the windows. If the warranty work is never executed the payment for the warranty goes right to Pella's bottom line.

Does anyone know of any class action against Pella?
    Does anyone know what Florida state agency is concerned with improper business practices and the improper execution of warranties?
    Does anyone know of any Federal agency concerned with improper business practices and the improper execution of warranties?

Saynoto pella May 10, 2018

@d bohler Contact your attorney general. Also other agency's that protect consumers, or at least say they do. Its hard to tell in the year 2018.

john m Aug 13, 2008

I have had nothing but problems with these overpriced and poorly performing windows. My sliding doors both leak air and in the winter ice over on the wood, not the glass. The threshold is always wet and or frozen over. They have been in for about 8 years and I have had to sand down and reseal the threshold 2 times already. They came to my house and tested the moisture and said it was fine(they now deny doing that of course). Basically, all problems are mine and not theirs. Parts of my sliding doors have started falling off. They will fix them for a price of course. The only solution I have found for my wet windows is to cover them with pastic for the winter so they don't need wiping down constatntly, and so I don't have to redo all of that woodwork also. I will never buy another Pella product again

michael cardoso Aug 19, 2008

to all those who have moisture between the glass it could be due to this:

If u have long drapes or curtains in front of the window and have heating vents right beside it, the heat gets trapped between the drapes and the glass and causes the diference in temperature, therefore causing the moisture build up. If you simply keep the drapes open or close that heating vent the problem goes away and your Pella products will be able to do their job efficiently.
    Certain things cannot be blamed on the windows. in this era of extremelly quick construction, alot of shortcuts are taken. this impairs the efectiveness of your home. things such as leaks normally tend to happen threw the walls and not the windows. this cannot be controlled by the window.
    Improper install is also a key factor with these issue. alot of people want to take the cheaper way and hire their own installers, then, when the install is not done properly they blame the product. Your brother in law is not the best installer despite what he says...lol

matt Aug 28, 2008

I have worked for pella windows for many years and have never had one of my installs call back for any service problems. Not that it is worth anything but I am sorry that the product, the install, or the service you recieved was not up to or beyond par like it should be for the money that is paid. I work my ### off to provide everything that a buyer wants or needs. I wish i could have been your installer on these projects. -matt

Mike Sep 27, 2008

I ordered 12 Pella windows about 3 years ago. 7 months later I ordered 7 additional windows for another room. Needless to say, I was very upset that they changed the look of the windows in the interim and my den windows do not match the windows in the rest of the house. To make matters worse, I ordered screens for the first batch of windows and made a point when ordering that I had the "old style" windows (they were only about a year old at that point). I was told they no longer carry screens for these windows but a service tech could make adjustments to make it work. Well the adjustment was drilling holes in the frames of all of these windows to allow the screens to fit. It looks horrible! And the shades between the glass are junk. Despite service calls and replacements, the shades are still crooked. Also, the attachments on the screens to raise and lower the shades do not fit securely over over the tab on the window making it very difficult and frustrating to adjust the shade when the screens are on.

Pella...what a disappointment.

Jay T Nov 09, 2008

Bought a pella storm door 2 years ago. Started rotting out from the inside our. They charghed me $30 to ship another lower quality storm door to me that is going to fail like the first door. Do not buy a Pella product - poor quality with no customer service!!!

Jackie Nov 11, 2008

I agree that Pella windows are not the best quality and the service is not acceptable. I too have a lot of moisture on my windows. Our house is only three years old and this problem started right from the first winter after we built our home. I called and was told that we have too much humidity in our home because it is so new and that the moisture should go away. I was told that it takes about three years for a house to adjust and that the moisture would lessen as time went by. Rather, I have cracking paint around my window sills, mold around the window sills, and still enough moisture in my windows that I use about two towels to wipe up all the water every morning. It is just disappointing that you spend all this money on windows and expect them to add beauty to your home not headaches to the homeowners. I think they need to look into this problem and if their claim that it is because it is a new home with too much humidity is a common claim, they should work on improving their windows to help elevate this problem, not just passing the blame to the installer or blaming a house for being too tight and humid.

• Bi
    Bill Willcox Nov 29, 2008

We paid $8000 for Pella doors and they need to be slammed to be shut. Wow! Pay that much money and they don't close well. Pella guy came out and talked to contractor and told him they close great, better than most. Ha! Talk about frustrated!

• Gq
    GQMGT Dec 31, 2008

Pella's customer service is as bad as it gets. In August I ordered a Pella custom door through Lowe's. When the door arrived, the quality of the finish was terrible. There was actually someone's hand print in the stain. A rep came and looked at it and ordered another door. This one arrived with the wrong color stain and broken glass. A third door was ordered. It arrived with white paint overspray on the stain side. At this point, I said I would keep the 3rd one provided they could compensate me something for everything I'd been through. It took them 3 weeks to offer me a whole $200. Lowe's finally intervened and gave me the door at cost. 3 months transpired from start to finish.
    My daughter installed 3 of their windows in a breakfast nook. They leak air something terrible. A Pella rep. looked at them and told my daughter to pull down really hard and lock it. Duh !! Her windows are junk !!
    Neither of us will EVER buy another Pella product.

Andrew H Mar 28, 2009

I recently had Pella windows installed in my house, I hate these windows, they are crappy low quality junk. They were the recommended, mid level, most comon windows. I had a former relative hook me up directly with the the installer, so I cut out the middle man (Lowes) to save some money since I'm a single father raising 2 children, and every dollar counts. I would love to list what sucks about these windows, but its the fact that everything sucks about them, that seems to surprise everyone except the people who own them.The locks could easily be broken from the outside, they look horrible and are constantly shedding material, dont seal, for the most part dont function how they should, they make noises when the wind blows, (which i think has to do with the screens, which dont stay in place anyway), flippinthe open to clean takes alot of pratcies to not damage them, and sometimes the windows FALL OUT when I'm cleaning. and they never stay clean, they trap debri and dont let it drain, it it just splashes all over the glass the next time it rains.. I have yet to see any advantage over my 1950s era econo windows.I think the train that passes by my house is actually louder now and my heating bill hasnt changed... I'm near suicidal about dumping the last of my money into what I thought would be a worthy improvment for my home. I can hear the windows out back rattling right now as the wind blows

• Df
    DFP Apr 21, 2009

I purchased a new home with Pella windows and besides moisture problems, many of the windows will not close and we have to go outside and push on them to close. We ended up suing the builder as rain would come in through the windows and Pella took the builders side since the builder is a big customer. Poor maintenance was their excuse! The judge felt the builder was at fault and we prevailed against the builder. I am shocked that such a horrible product can be sold as a high end product let alone a low end product. I can only hope my message saves someone from my ordeal. As a last note, I grew up in a home that was built in 1912. The original windows are still in this house and they never have had problems like the Pella's.

• Ti
    tim Jun 09, 2009

If you want to deal with even a worse window and all time ripp-off company try dealing with Champion windows of Omaha. Totally junk windows and even worse customer service by the ripp off artist Alan Freilich. If you think Pellas are bad you had better run from Champion windows

John Bryan Aug 10, 2009

I have Pellas throughout my house and to be honest I cannot complain about quality. These windows are circa 1982 vintage. However, I can complain about the very high cost for parts. A single roller assembly for a sliding glass door with wood frame is approximantely $90. This is outrageous!! Also, when I went to Pella to purchase and have installed 6 windows for a church I help maintain, I learned a nasty lesson about shady marketing. The windows were on "SALE"! 30% off. But they still seemed very expensive. So I asked what the original price was and they told me they couldn't reveal that!!! I really pushed for this price but they were adamant in not giving it to me. I suggested that under these shady circumstances why the just didn't adveritise them as 90% off since they wouldn't tell you the price from which the 90% was derived. The salesmen were NOTHING but Salesmen. As soon as I signed the paper to purchase the windows - ALL service from the "salesman" ceased. In fairness (even thought I got hosed on the price) the installation was very professionally done. These were fibreglas framed because the single pane of glass was so large. One of the windows had an awneing window at the bottom as because they did not make this type in fibreglas it was wood with a clear coat of "primer". Pella want $300 to paint this one window. I would look at Marvin or Anderson the next time - though I have heard that Anderson only sells to builders.

chrislm Sep 04, 2009

I would like to know if there is any current class action lawsuit going on regarding these windows. I cannot believe that they are able to keep producing this junk and we're powerless to get the word out and at least let people know there is a problem before they purchase, or that they have a problem developing with their windows and don't know it until it's too late. Honestly, I'm going to start attending the home shows and have photos available outside their booths to show people what happened to our patio doors and windows. I'll start a campaign in Milwaukee and surrounding suburbs to let the builders know what's going on with this company. Renovation companies, insurance companies...I'll send letters and photos to everyone I can think of. Perhaps we should all do that and we'll cover the nation!

• Sh
    Sheila in Rockford Sep 14, 2009

Even though the Pella sliding patio door has the screen on the inside, we agreed to purchase it as long as it matched the side windows and it would qualify for the tax credit. We asked the salesman if the glass would be clear and not wavy. He assured us that it would match. It did not. When it arrived, the glass was darker. The salesman told us (after it was delivered) that it had to be darker for the tax cardit. We asked him to pick it up, cancel the contract and issue a credit. He offerred us several options, including replacing the glass with clear glass and giving us paperwork so we could get the IRS credit. THAT'S IRS FRAUD! That shows you the character of Pella. The salesman agreed to issue a credit back to the Wells Fargo credit card, and we called Wells Fargo and they said that they were showing that a credit was coming through. (Later Pella cancelled it.) We thought all was well. NOT. The salesman called again and offerred more options and we told him we were only interested in picking up the door and giving us a credit. This week the salesman left message on our answering machine twice: the first one was to say that he had one more option before issuing a refund. We called to say we wanted the refund. The second time, two days later, the salesman left message that he was processing the credit and wanted to know how much we paid to the credit card so he would not how much to credit. We called back to say to just reverse the amount and credit Wells Fargo for the full amount and we would worry about getting our overpayment from them. Before the sale, the salesman returned calls. Now he doesn't. Wells Fargo called the Pella Store here in Rockford and Pella told the credit card company that they could not issue a credit because we had to merchandise. THE MERCHANDISE IS WAITING IN OUR GARAGE FOR PICKUP!! Wells Fargo gave us a name of the fiancial mgr, but it appears he does not return calls either. We have no other alternative than to file a BBB complaint. By the way, the construction company for our Northwoods vacation home would only replace our windows with Anderson Windows. We had them for 2 years now and they are beautiful with no problems. The house is much warmer in the winter.

JohnKress Oct 11, 2009

I just completed the installation of 7 Pella casement windows and an Anderson patio door in our family room three weeks ago. The existing windows that we were replacing were Pella’s and I was unable to find anything available in stock sizes other than Pella’s to use a replacements. The original Pella’s were single pane windows with inside storm panes, not insulated gas filled double pane units. We had a continual problem in the winter months with condensation building up on the sills and ice on the window panes when it was extremely cold outside (living in Minnesota).
    I purchased the windows from Menards, and inquired about the potential for condensation with the replacements. I was assured that these new windows are far superior to the ones I was replacing, that the gas filled panes should not have any condensation buildup like the original windows.
    I installed the windows according to the instructions provided with butyl sealing tape, installed in layers overlapping like shingles, starting at the bottom working to the top. I sealed the rough opening to window space with Dow Great Stuff. I must admit that the solar gain is vastly improved.
    Yesterday morning I awoke to find the outdoor temperature was 29 degrees F. I also noted that there was about 2 inches on condensation built up on the bottom of each of the window panes. At the same time the Anderson patio door was completely devoid of any condensation.
    Last year we replaced all of the other windows (slide-bys) with Crestline windows of the type. None of these windows had any condensation on them, either.
    What is the problem with the Pella’s?
    Is there any argon (or what ever type gas) between the insulated panes?
    Right now, as I write this, it is 37 degrees outside and there is nearly ½ inch of condensation on the bottom on all 7 of the Pella windows and nothing on the other windows.
    I’m going to proceed with a complaint to Pella, even though it sounds like a waste of time, from what I read here.
    I guess the prominent bit of wisdom I can pass along is this –
    DON’T BUY PELLA WINDOWS FOR ANY REASON WHAT SO EVER!

• Io
    Iowa guy Oct 14, 2009

What ever you do, "DO NOT" let me say this again "DO NOT" install Pella windows!!!

They are junk!!!

I installed over 20k of them in 1994 and have had nothing be problems with them! They are the PRO Line wood windows. Everyone of them has rot on the bottom!

There is a law firm that is working on a Class Action suit right now!!

There a thousands of us out there!

• Pv
    pvbw Oct 19, 2009

I am also having leaking problems with my pella windows. We have a good, meticulous contractor who took all the siding off the house and sealed it like a submarine, so there can be no issues of water getting in around the wiondows and the windows still leaked. I am pretty upset about it. Insurance company is sending out engineers, but the agent believes it is the windows, and insurance doesn't cover construction/product issues. Pella sent a tech after we put over 100 on our cc to get them to make the service call and waited three weeks. The tech pronounced the glazing as ok, although he never got up on the tall ladder to check it. He just looked at the underside of the crankout where there is water damage. Today Pella called to declare the leakage is not their product, although the error on the miters of the metal cladding at the corners of the windows is clearly evident (overlapped wrong so water runs in). A couple years ago they had to replace another crank out window that rotted through, although the Pella rep conveniently overlooked this fact when I spoke to her, until I reminded her about it. We asked that the issue be appealed to the corporate office, so now I am waiting for that and the engineers.

Another poster here asked about a class action suit. There is one in the investigatory stages against the Pro-Line Pella product, which is what I have. Google and you will find the Chicago law firm.

I just want the leak fixed, permanently. Let's hope they do the right thing, but having read everything I can on this company on the net, I am not holding my breath.

• Gs
    gsmckee Nov 21, 2009

We purchased Pella Architect Douglas Fir double hung, low E and all that jazz. We have only had them installed in our home 2 months. From day one, we have been requesting that Pella deal with the problems we are having. We installed 53 windows and have a list of over 230 problems with those units. The problems range from daylight between the sashes, to wood that is totally split. To date we have not received any assistance. We live only 35 minutes from Pella Iowa, so distance is not an issue. One of the biggest problems is that we purchased douglas fir windows. We were dilivered simple pine windows with a thin layer of veneere. We are looking for others like us that are interested in joining in a law suit against Pella. We can be reached at [protected]@aol.com if you are interested in comunicating with us, we would like to hear from you. The rest of you, Stay Far Away From Pella!

• Nd
    N Dep Dec 09, 2009

Pella windows Pro Line are all rotting away, the service guy who came to my house explained the caulk used on the windows in 1998 failed to hold the sash that is why water comes down the glass and rots the wood. My living room window was so bad you can stick your finger threw the wood. Because my window is out of warrenty by a whole 4 months it is not covered even though my first service call about this problem 2 years ago. The rep at the time saw the wood rot and just sent me a new window but the problem was it was the wrong window, So I have to pay over $2000 to get new windows for 2 rooms but they are giving me a discount but charging me $100 a window. These windows are crap and Pella should fix there problem. Look for wood rot underneath the window mine are casements. Yes they where painted.

• Aa
    aaroan Feb 21, 2010

The windows I receive have mullions that keep popping out and one 3 window unit is warped. I call and bug surprise - they claim it is my fault. They said it was the spray insulation I used. Ya, sure, it is still spongy after curing. I can press on it and it will collapse, then when I release, bounce back. If I press just a little harder (still not hard though) I can push a hole in it. Ya, whatever Pella. And the mullions? Well, they'll send me new ones, promise. I wait and they don't. I call, they say they will. I wait and they don't. I call and they say they will. This goes on until the warranty is out and then - oh, sorry, your windows are out of warranty. I will NEVER buy Pella again. Worst decision financially. I hope others read this and know to stay away.

• Sf
    SFPella May 27, 2010

Hello, I work for the San Francisco branch of Pella and am very shocked to hear all of these complaints. It seems as though none of these are on the west coast which would be why I don't hear these stories. We constantly have returning customers coming into our showrooms wanting more of our products installed in other parts of their home or preferred customers wanting the Pella product and experience.
    I would like to address some of the complaints I've read.

1.) If you are having Low E put on your windows it will be slightly darker than a clear glass (only noticeable if two windows side by side are different.) The Sun defense and dual sun defense will be even darker but are more energy efficient.
    2.) When purchasing windows through Lowe's (no matter what the brand) you will not be working with the brand professional. Lowe's employees know a little of everything and that is why I would recommend by from the source such as a Pella windows and doors showroom where you can see displays of the products and speak with professionals. Also, Lowe’s does not hire Pella Certified Installer. All of the Pella Installers are certified and trained by Pella professionals.
    3.) The San Francisco branch has a service and parts department located locally to provide faster service if and when needed.
    4.) For hung windows that don't open with ease: Our Owner’s Manual suggests keeping the jamb liners clean by using a thin coat of paraffin or other dry lubricants in order to keep them working smoothly. You can also apply this to the sashes. DO NOT USE OILY LUBRICANTS!
    5.) Tips for winter time moisture management: open window coverings during daylight hours to increase airflow over the glass.

JOHNNY LEROUX10 Jun 02, 2010

I'm now in my 5th home that has had every window replaced with a Pella. Current home has 18 large windows - including 4 triple sliding doors. Never had one problem. Installer was meticulous which I've been told can make a huge difference with mold, moisture and potential mildew problems after removing and replacing a window. Most people that have had these issues with any window replacement - Pella or otherwise - had an installer that didn't have a clue as to how to install. They were merely handymen trying to disguise themselves as expert installers. This is a problem that Pella and any other manufacturer need to deal with because ultimately it affects the reputation of your company and your product. Pella has a great product if installed correctly!!

• Am
    AmericanMade2010 Jun 15, 2010

If you're having serious issues with water leaking around your window and doors products, you might want to check out some test labs that specialize in those kinds of problems. Off the top of my head there are about 30 or so nationally accredited companies that specialize in that kind of work. Check out www.FTLtesting.com and you'll get an idea.