Payless Car RentalVery poor customer experience

Payless offers a lower cost service online for car rentals. However, once you arrive at the desk to pick-up your car they use a series of bait and switch type behaviors to add a series of add-ons.

It is high pressure sales and in my case an outright lie to add additional insurance coverage and a misrepresentation of the total cost. I attempted to find the manager once I checked with my insurance company on the coverage I had for a rental. When I was at the car return the manager was inside, when I went inside the manager was at the car return.

The first part of this approach is to have no one at the counter so you're in -line for a very long time. Like myself, their clients are not business people they are families looking for a deal and they use that fact. While you're in line a natural reaction is to want to get out since family or friends are is waiting on you. There were no less than 10 different options I was questioned about, a continuous push to pre-buuy gas and upgrade to a bigger vehicle. Once you've gone through this the form has no less than 10 places you must initial about the what you've purchased or not and then a signature. In my case I was told $10 for coverage my insurance doesn't cover in Arizona, it was a lie and moreover it was $10 per day no total. My fault for not reading more carefully but also, I've never had Hertz or Avis pull this type of thing.

I believe the approach is legal but skirting the edge and it is certainly unethical. Personally, I'll never use them again. If you ever do use them, they are lying for teh most aprt about any upgrades or costs, just say no. Also, there is no way to get them to just give you your contract aas signed up for online, you have to go through the entire 30 minutes wait in line and close to 20 minute loop at the desk.

Then, be sure you look the car over completely. They are all over the car on return looking for any damage to charge you for.

I did email them and got a reply saying they don't see anything wrong, the absolutely cannot refund any money and won't check on it. Also, the note has an attachment stating that I cannot use their direct response as it is a personal and confidential correspondence.

Pretty much they got the money and don't care otherwise. The behavior of the sales rep shows this is obviously a trained situation.

Not much else other than a very poor customer experience.

• Valerie Aug 17, 2006

I don't understand .. All you have to say is NO. That is what I do when I get all the questions do I want this and that .. High Pressure .. I don't think so! Next time just say NO! Sucker!

• Valerie Aug 17, 2006

I have never rented a car without the rental representative try to get me to buy extra insurance. I even had Hertz tell me that I was responsible for ALL damage to their car even if the accident wasn't my fault. Then they try to get you to upgrade your car to have you pay more per day. The only place where I consistently get a wreck of a car, no matter which company I use, is Norfolk, Virginia's airport.

• Ro
    Ron Smith Aug 01, 2007

I agree with what you say. I did use Payless in LA California and had a great experience however the experience I had in Orlando Fl. was much as you stated. I didn't get pounded about insurance, that would have been a major mistake on their part, but I did get hit with the up grade thing. I had reserved a economy car for the ease of driving around and fuel efficiency but after I refused the upgrade was giving a big Nissan Titan V-8 pickup instead. When I said I didn't want it I was told that was it, take it or leave it. I know what you mean. I too contacted the corporate office for Payless Car Rental, spent a lot of time filling out a survey only to get a response back from the manager of the Orlando rental saying they were sorry but that was their policy. Even though they had the similar car they offered me for a higher price they stuck me with a big gas hog.

• Ra
    Ramona King Jan 02, 2008

Payless/Fox Rental Car in Kansas City is a complete rip off-beware! Unless you have had the experience of being lied to and cheated, you can't possibly understand.

jayjayv Jun 21, 2009

Payless Car Rental in San Juan a total rip off. The quoted prices online are false when you go to the counter your hit with triple of what was quoted and they refuse to take 3rd party insurance only their insurance which makes the rental insanely expensive more than the recognized rental companies. Ontop of that there is an employee that has grabby hands and steals things inside vehicles while they are being inspected for damage i.e. my cell phone was stolen by a chubby employee. DONT RENT FROM PAYLESS!! Unless you want to pay lots of money and get your things stolen.

anonyMiss Jul 11, 2009

Just like anywhere, you are responsible for your belongings. Who's to say someone you let in the car even works there?

And it's so much better to buy the insurance at the counter. Because if anything where to happen they would go after you first and it would be your responsibility to go after the 3rd party. NO ONE goes after the 3rd party directly.

It's like a mail-in rebate. You'll probably never do it.

• Ca
    Carey Renfroe Aug 20, 2018

I was charged $10 a day for adding an addition driver. The young man didn't tell me there was a charge.

• Ra
    Randi McKissick Aug 21, 2018

Hi,

I rented a car in Texas and it keeps stalling. Every time I drive it it dies. I called and they said the car has to go all the way back to Houston hobby airport to get a new one. I'm here for work and do not have time for this. I am seriously upset.

• Pe
    Petronela Spoiala Sep 05, 2018

On 23.06.2018 I rented a cat from Payless Otopeni, Bucharest. I returned the car on 29.07.2018 and they told me that I will receive my deposit in 10 working days. Today is 30.08.2018, I still didn't received the money. What should I do??...

• Ju
    Judydorf Sep 18, 2018

I reserved an SUV for Sat 8/18 thru the 23 Aug.

When I arrived. they claimed to not have an SUV for me only A larger one. Which forced me a bigger SUV and did not give me a discounted price but doubled the price without a promo discount

• Ly
    Lynne Denise Sep 18, 2018

I tried to contact Burlingame, ca. At the San Francisco airport after losing an item in my rental. All numbers on line were incorrect and it took hours to find someone to assist me with lost and found. Payless Car Rental needs to have up to date email and phone information.

• Ru
    russlindsey Nov 13, 2018

payless charged me $70.00 more than I was quoted. I was assured there would be no additional charges when I picked up the car at the tampa location.

• Ro
    Romero4life Jun 06, 2019

My car was impounded and Payless had to pick up I was trying to get threw to them for 4 days straight never got no help or phone calls and was hung up on took money from my bank with no explanation of charges