Opodo Ltdrefund of hotel bill

J Jul 18, 2019

Dear Sir / Madam,

I am writing to you to raise an issue about: Travel Agents

The issue that I have experienced was: Booking almost a year ahead, I used Opodo to book flights for myself and my wife, Susan Lorraine Cook, between London Heathrow and Quito. We flew out with no problem. However, while we were away, just days before our return, we discovered the return flight I had booked had become non-existent! We subsequently learned that 8 months previously Tuesday flights from Quito to London had been cancelled, but we were never notified.

To go into more detail, the return flight I booked through OPODO, was IBERIA 6454 departing Tuesday 18th June 2019 from QUITO 17.55 - Arr. MADRID 11:15 on Wed. 19th June 2019.
This flight was confirmed by Opodo as recently as 4th June. However, when we passed through Quito Airport on 14th June to take an internal Flight to COCA, we went to the IBERIA Desk to check that we were booked on the Flight. We were then informed not only that there was no such flight, but also that there had not been a flight to Madrid on a Tuesday for the last 8 months! Mysteriously, and without any consultation with me, the flight date had been changed by BA to a day earlier, Monday 17th June. We could never have taken that flight in any case, as we'd be in the middle of the Amazon rainforest on that day.

A travel agent contact of ours managed eventually to secure 2 seats on the next available flight out of Quito on IB 6454 Thursday 19th June, departing 17:35. This meant that we had to spend an extra day and night in Quito. Accordingly, we had to book a night in a Hotel near Quito airport - Garden San Jose. We had to make extra arrangements for house sitters to look after our house and pets at home. It was a stressful and uncertain few days while this was sorted out.

We would like to be reimbursed for the cost of the overnight stay in the Garden San Jose for $441.72. We'd also like compensation for the house sitter's expenses staying an extra 24 hours at our house in Oxfordshire. £40.
And if the system allows, I'd like compensation for what was a very stressful few days of what should have been a thrilling trip to the Ecuadorean rainforest, worrying about how we were going to get home.

I look forward to your prompt response on this matter. As recommended by Trading Standards, I would like to keep a complete record of my case, so please reply back via this email account.

Yours faithfully,

IAN SHARP

Booking Reference [protected] - SUOJQA
Lambs Croft
Sibford Ferris Banbury
OX15 5RE

• Updated by James Ian Sharp · Jul 18, 2019

I sent this complaint via resolver on the 26th june 2019 and was infirmed that my request to be reimbursed for the hotel bill incurred as a result of a mistake by opodo, but have had no response from opodo with whom i have a contract for the booking