NetflixAccount was hacked, and charged even after termination of service

F May 20, 2020

I contacted Netflix customer service on 05/12/2020 regarding a hack on my netflix account which resulted in 3 month charges while my account was both inaccessible and canceled by me prior to the hack. My Netflix account has now been removed at my request.

I had canceled my account with Netflix in Feb 2020, however found out from customer service on 05/12/2020 that the account wasn't actually canceled but put on "hold". Based on information provided by Netflix customer service, it turns out that my account was hacked on a device I had used while traveling and I wasn't informed of the incident. The hacker was able to use my account after I had canceled it, change the email address and password, change the plan, language, while I was still being billed and unaware of the changes happening.

This is both outrageous, for a simple security check with a code verification by email would have prevented all of this from happening.
I therefore hold Netflix fully responsible for the incident and lack of clarity:
1. I was never informed that when I canceled my account it was still active,
2. My credit card information was saved int he system without my consent.

Customer service has initiated a reimbursement of only the current month (May 2020). I request Netflix reimburse me the March and April charges on my account which wasn't feasible by their customer service I called.

I will also file a complain with the Better Business Bureau.

my email for response:
[protected]@gmail.com

• Do
    Done With Netflix Sep 08, 2020

My netfix account was hacked and I learned several important things people need to know.
    Sorry for the novel below.
    1) netfilx will cancel the account but that is different from deleting an account. If it was hacked and canceled it can also be reactivated by the hacker. Netflix won't tell you this.
    2) netflix won't offer to remove your credit card from the account to avoid potential charges from the hacker. You need to specifically request to have your card removed.
    3) you can have your account deleted, but they don't make that easy. You can't speak to a person.They won't give you a phone number. They want you to email a request in. Keep in mind someone has already used your email address maliciously.

• Cw
    cwtpc May 21, 2020

A lot of words you're throwing around there. Let's go through some of them.
    - Your account wasn't hacked. Someone knew your email and password combination, or you left yourself signed in on a shared device while traveling. If your device was hacked, do change passwords to -all- services you used on said device.
    - Do you have an email confirming that your account was canceled? Go have a look, I'll wait. If your account was on hold, you'll find one asking you to update your payment method to continue watching (you basically didn't have enough balance on your account), and later one informing you of your email having been changed when someone had gained access to your account. By the way, being away on travels and not reading your mails is no reason to moan about not having been informed about things.
    - If the account was yours to begin with, you will have given permission to charge your credit card for monthly billing when registering. The billing information was saved -and kept- in the system because you never indicated you wanted anything done about the situation before.
    Finally, the silver lining: you've learned a valuable lesson that is to check your credit card statements and read your emails. Surely that's worth the ~$20 you're out of pocket.