MetLife Dentaldental insurance

T

MetLife Dental is the worst dental insurance imaginable. I have worked for 25 years and have had several dental insurance plans; none have been as bad as MetLife - not even close.

MetLife maintains an endless list of denial reasons - the bulk of which are not provided in the Summary Plan Description. When one sends in a pre-authorization request, MetLife comes back several times with ridiculous questions as "stall tactics". If you get the service anyway (due to pain, potential loss of tooth, etc.) before the pre-autorization comes back, MetLife denies the claim. If you get back a pre-authorization, it states it is not a guarantee of payment; MetLife often refuses to pay anyway. It is a catch-22.

In my situation, I work for a self-insured company, so MetLife is just the administrator. All of the premiums I pay go for poor quality administrative practices, stall tactics, contradictory statements, mis-communication within their business, AND their lawyers. The actual payments for services come from the company I work for. If I cannot get assistance from my Human Resources department, I would have to sue my company through ERISA. I am paying for their lawyers and would then have to pay for my own. What a scam! What a great deal for MetLife - no accountability.

It is getting harder and harder to find reputable dentists under their plan. I wonder why. If they treat employees poorly, I'm sure they treat dentists as badly.

Please do everything you can to avoid MetLife and petition your company to drop them or not to use them. They are a highly unethical business. They operate under a "thug" business model.

MetLife Hater in Arizona

• Mo
    MonicaG Sep 09, 2014

metlife is a piece of crap. We are 2014 and I have been fighting with them since October 2013 to get a 3 crowns and 3 bridges done. We were finally able to get them pay 50 percent for 2 crowns and bridges. They bring excuses of the world to deny you and delay so that you give up and YES ...you will eventually give up because you want to fix the problem. So, having an insurance like this is worth NOTHING. I got this insurance through my work and will never ever take it again. Rather pay from my pocket than think that insurance will!!!

• Da
    davezilla Nov 23, 2009

I agree. I have also had sevarl different dental plans through the course of my employment (26 years) and Metlife is the worst one I've ever had.

To top everything off, they only alow $1, 500.00 per person maxmimum. Yeah, that might have been okay in the 70s, but now? Forget it. That's maybe three amalgams or ONE big job (like a crown or root canal).

So, if you need any significant work done to your teeth, you are able to get maybe one procedure and either hope you have a gigantic bank account, or do a little bit every year and always be in debt.

Sadly, in the rural area I live in, Metlife is the ONLY option.