Complaints & Reviews

Resolved online fraud

I made a purchase on my charge card to funtonia.com... They did not have PayPal and I was hesitant at first. Stupid on my part I did it anyway, 2 weeks later I had a charge to Match.com. I had never visited nor used Match.com. I am normally very safe when using the internet for purchasing things. I would always investigate the company online before purchasing, My fault on this one I DIDN'T. Goes to show it only takes 1 time and they get you. I called my bank and hopefully things will be resolved soon. My bank first said I do not need a new card with only 1 item charged that was fraudulent. I told them BS... Send me another card now.

Resolved unathourised payment from my credit card

An unauthorised payment was atken from my credit crad on 14 February [protected] TX.

I am no longer a member of that website and have not used it for months

Resolved scam save your money

As far as I am concerned Match is a scam I subscribed for six months based on their guarantee (If you do not meet anyone within six months you get six months free) I did the six months unfortunately I did not meet anyone so I notified match and thought my guarantee would then start and thought it had untill I got my credit card statement I have been argueing with match and my credit card company to dispute the charge since December of 08. So save your money match will not find what you are looking for. Its a scam.

• Di
    dieey Jul 06, 2009

I met a scammer on www.nudistloving.com in last year. I report her to site owner, they investigate and found that she sent about 20 same emails to other users at the same day. After tracking her in 2 days, they blocked her IP as scammer. At last they provide me 1 month free gold membership for report her.

Resolved fraudulent service

Match.com provides no customer support whatsoever. I tried their service in an attempt to meet a nice woman. Their "services" include a daily matching with 5 people who supposedly fit my preferences (interests, religion, body-type, AGE) and the provided "matches" were never actually anything that I was looking for. Their "scientific" matching criteria seem to be based on who's nearest geographically. I emailed the Match.com, requesting that I not be contacted by Match.com with profiles of 45 year old (and older) women (I'm in my 30's and would like to have children), with Match.com suggesting these would be ideal partners for me to pursue.

The aspect I consider most fradulent was, in an attempt to coerce me to reinstate my account, I was bombarded with emails and "winks" the day I cancelled my account, when I had only had minimal contact with a few actual women in the months previous. Upon attempting to view the profiles of these suddenly interested women, I found that at least half of the profiles were either deleted or, in some cases, DUPLICATE! I believe this company to manufacture false profiles and falsely contact their customers in an attempt to drag out the customer's experience with Match.com. ridiculous.

John

• oggggggg Apr 26, 2011

Match.com ia a fraud, they will steal your money
    They don't answer my last email now that they have my money,
    they approved of my profile more then ten times.
    and then through me out with a one word explanation, and refuse to give me my money back, Wow Has stealing from people on SS become a way of life for them?
    what do they tell your kids when they ask what they do?
    o we steal from old people on SS why?? yes I'll teach you how to do this some day.
    well I'll see you in small clams court; if this rape charge an other that will faller doesn't do you in
    I feel good about myself. life is good for me even though their are people like you around stealing from us.
    i would join a class action suit in a secant, good buy Yahoo, you will never get another cent from me.
    Occie Gilliam see i sign my full name cause i have nothing to hide.

Resolved refusal to refund

My wife and myself opened an account for her cousin in China and paid them £43.13 GBP. Match then closed the account and refused to refund or discuss their reasons without a court order (subpoena).

Is this theft? it feels like it

• Lo
    lolaisodd Oct 06, 2009

What happened? Did you get a refund back?

Andread May 07, 2011

Hi there, I have requested a refund for most of the money I have paid yesterday to subscribe as this website is misleading. You advertise that there are over 60.000 to 40.000 online people when in reality there are only about 500 members online. Lots of people don't have a membership, lots of scammers on here and to make it worse, there are lots of ghost profiles as well!

I have contacted their customer's service but got no answer for my question.

Kind regards, Andrea

Resolved withholding client emails

This online company that matches dates fraudulently keeps customers by not allowing the other party to receive their emails. This keeps profiles online forever teasing them with interested people you can never get an email to. I had the experience of knowing a potential date's real address and we noticed that when we sent emails thru the site they didn't reach either one of us. I then had a few interested people email me and I sent emails back to them and they never responded "mysteriously" making me think they changed their minds. Well how many times can this happen until you realise you're being scammed? It happened about 5 times to me over a year. This is fraud in the worst way, to falsely represent a meeting opportunity and keep people from actually contacting each other. This company should be OUT OF BUSINESS for FRAUD. They don't care if you meet someone, they just want to make sure you stay online with their compnay and stayed interested with the emails you can never respond to so they keep their money flowing.

28539jackie Nov 24, 2009

I worked for Match.com. I can help with your complaint. First, call their customer service, they can run a test on the emails. Every so often there is a tech issue either on Match.coms end or the customers end. The tech department can work with you, although it will take a few days before they can contact you regarding your tech issue.
    As for the "Mysterious" emails, there is no such thing. Your account has a record of emails sent and recieved, as well as the other members. A rep can not go into another members account without their permission and tell you if that person has read your email. I took calls such as yours only to find out that the other party recieved the email and simply didn't respond. It could be they began dating someone, went out of town, etc. There are however fraudulant profiles which Match.com shuts down immeditaely. If I were single I would use their service, but I would be very careful as I am on Myspace.

• Ap
    appliedarts714 Jul 23, 2015

I have noticed this twice just before my subscription was due to expire.

Resolved unauthorized billings

I was online checking my bank account and found there were two unauthorized charges of $34.99 made to my...

Resolved unwanted renewal

I signed up for their dating service for six months. After the first month, the only way I would get emails is if I would update my profile on a regular basis. I decided to take my losses on what didn't seem like a very effective dating service and let my subscription lapse after the six months I'd signed up for. WELL, I found out (TOO LATE, by the way) that they put you on automatic renewal - somewhere in the small print it's in there I'm sure (I never bothered to check, I know they wouldn't want to be sued). A company with integrity would have put that way up front and given you an option during your signup process. Anyway, they charged me for a whole six months more. I was so peeved! I was going to try to get around it but then I thought I'd have as little integrity as they do and I don't want to stoop that low. I managed to spend less by calling and having them giving me a smaller amount of time. But there's no way you will get away without paying for at least one more month at their absolute top price ($30 plus dollars)

Resolved website lies

They offer you to register for free and it says you can be viewed by anyone and it is NOT true. They just want you to pay. My free registration does not show in search results at all, neither my username. They keep sending you emails of your matches and subscription emails where you have to give your credit card number which I won't give under no circumstances to that site. So they should not even offer a free registration because the only thing you can do is search everybody except yourself and read their profile. The way to contact me if I would appear on search results was my own situation, easy way to reach me.

They lead you to believe things that are not true. They should at least say "nobody can see you" instead of "everybody can see you". Crooks!

• Sh
    shan May 01, 2009

I agree. Match.com is a total fraud. Every response has been from a scammer. Match uses date baiting, which is sending an attractive profile the day your free trial ends. The only way to read thier email is to sign up. The person never responds because they dont exist. Match is also impossible to reach and they ignore complaints. Save your money.

• Al
    ally May 26, 2009

They also charge your cc again after you tell them a month in advance not to renew... I don't think I will ever get off this site!! CRAP!

Resolved fraud and cheating

I'm a young widow. After careful consideration and because I am new to georgia, I decided to join match.com...

questionable business practices

I signed up with Match.com a few days ago. When you first sign in, you are asked a series of questions. It isn't til the very end when they hit you with all kinds of charges for their service. Your profile can still be viewed by others and you are sent potential matches by e-mail every few days. BUT, the catch is, if you do not pay money or "Subscribe", anyone who e-mails you will never hear from you and you cannot see any of that persons information unless you pay money. This just happened to me a few moments ago. When I phoned Match.com, I got a rude woman named Mabel. When I expressed concern over the fact that I had received an e-mail from a potential match for me, but that I was unable to view that e-mail or even respond, all Mabel had to say was "well, I'm sorry you feel that way." Now this person will feel that I am snubbing them and being rude. AND, another clincher is this: Match.com was advertising this New Years weekend as free communication weekend where those signed up with them can communicate for free. That advertisement on TV did not say anything about whether this only pertains to paid subscribers or both subscribers and members. While this service has potential, they need to quit screwing people over and step up to the plate and make this an honest service all the way through, not just part way.

• Je
    jennysong Jul 27, 2011

Hi, I agree with you. Once I sign in some dating sites but after I meet some similar problems like you. But when I found my true love in the site:sugarcupid.com. I know there is still a true site is really want to help others to find a perfect match. the site is serious safe and you don't worry these problems like that.So don't hesitate and join us. I promise you will not regret.

Resolved bad service

I did not order this service.

I am a senior citizen and on a limited.

Funds. I found someone had used my debit card and called my bank to stop payment. I then called the company to see whos e-mail was the one they used.

They would not give it to me. So I could report this as a fraud. I will my bank so they cannot charge me again. As I see the number of complaints against this company. Nothing is being done to stop them. They are just stealing. I am going to report them to the better business bureau.

• Valerie Oct 06, 2008

Actually email correspondence with match.com:

I reached a customer service representative by the name of Robert and with the

approval of his supervisor. He informed me that they would correct the error and

I would receive my next 6 months free as promised with my new expiration date

being 21Mar2008.

Thank you for resolving this issue. The representative I spoke with was

extremely polite and helpful.

W 15Sep2008

Date: [Mon, 15 Sep 2008 7:45:14 -0400]

To: executiveteam AT match.com

Subject: Fraudulent guarantee

Dear sirs,

It has come to my attention based on the email I received from you employee that

your 6 month guarantee is fraudulent. Not only have I had numerous memberships

with match, I did qualify for the free six months. On 13Sep2008, I attempted to

accept the free 6 months. The question is worded awkwardly on purpose I imagine

so to ensure the possibility of striking the wrong key (yes or no). When I

realized I had accidentally made the incorrect keystroke. I contacted match

immediately via email on the same day to inform them of this, clarify that I had

not met anyone in 6 months, and request the free 6 months I had earned according

to match.com's guidelines. I was refused. Cleary this action is fraudulent and

clearly when you check you records, you will find that I earned my free 6

months, and you will correct the problem and give me my free six monthx.

Otherwise I will feel it is necessary to contacti the attorney general's office

Subject: Re: Other ISSUE=139619 PROJ=38

No I did not decline! I told you I accidentally hit the wrong button. I

contacted you immediately after on the same day it occured. What part of I did

not meet anyone special in 6 months did you not understand? This is very poor

practice and does not follow your terms. Should I make a formal complaint to the

better business bureau or who should I make a formal complaint to. WHo is your

manager. This is not an appropriate way to do business. I expect to be contacted

by someone who can resolve this issue!

---- "Match.com" <customercare AT support.match.com> wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Notification of Issue Change

Description:

Entered on 09/13/2008 at 22:47:27 by Jonathan T.:

Dear Member,

Thank you for contacting Match.com.

We received your inquiry regarding the Match.com Guarantee.

Our records indicate that you declined the guarantee extension on 09/13/2008,

and are therefore ineligible to receive the extension.

Per our terms of use, Match.com Subscriptions which do not result in a Match.com

Extension (due to ineligibility of the subscriber or failure of the subscriber

to accept the Extension) will automatically be renewed for successive six-month

subscription periods at the subscription rate in effect at the time of renewal.

See Match.com Terms of Use for details regarding Match.com subscriptions and

charges on your billing account.

For reference, below is a link to the Match.com Guarantee terms:

For immediate answers to most common Match.com Guarantee questions, please visit

our help section at:

Your Partners in the Search for Someone Special,

Match.com Customer Care

Jonathan T.

Entered on 09/13/2008 at 11:00:01 by w AT nc.rr.com:

I qualified for the six month guarantee but I think I accidentally hit the wrong

button. Could you check for me? I did not meet anyone special in 6 months and

would like to receive my free 6 months.

Thank you.

• Ei
    Eileen Ehrmann Oct 16, 2008

I have tried unsuccessfully to cancel my Match.com account. They keep deducting from my checking account. I thought I cancelled 3 months ago. Please helkp me. I no longer remember my password or username with Match.com

Anderson Jaramillo Oct 23, 2008

Doen anyone have a customer seervice number for these ###s? They are extremely fraudulent and once they get your credit card number they will charge you fo ever no matter what. I am at the verge of cancelling my crtedit card just to somehow get out of this.

Match.com is a scam.

28539jackie Nov 24, 2009

I worked for Match.com about a year ago. Your complaint appears to be one that I have heard numerous times, but the fruad is not on the part of Match.com. Nigerians, as well as other scam artist's somehow get a hold of your credit card information and open accounts with Match.com in order to scam other members. I used to take about 20 complaints a day as well as calls from the Nigerians themselves trying to open accounts with Match.com. Match.com does take these complaints seriously. They immediately shut down any profile that is being investigated as fruad. They also have a special team to investigate and help crack down on these scams. Chances are your charge card was used by a Nigerian to open an account to scam other memebrs out of money. Match.com will refund your bank promptly in that event. The customer service reps hear that complaint on a daily basis, and they do forward cases of fraud to their investigation team. Hopefully your bank closed your charge card account and issued another card with a new number. Be very careful when making online purchases, as well as in stores.

Matthew king Jan 09, 2016

Cool I'm not the only one that has problems with match dot com being a scam.

fraudlent charges

so i logged on to my account this morning and i found charges to wmv.match.com well after some investigating work i find out its a fraud charges on my card. not only have i never used match.com but i'm married and have no reason to. so now i am waiting to hear back from my bank

fraudulent charge

Fraudulent charge on my debit card for $34.99 then credited it back to me... obviously they had my debit card...

tricky "subscription" charge after 30 day purchase

IAC World Headquarter owns match.com . Match is notorious for this. I signed up in May for a "30...

unauthorized charges

Oh, one last detail. The charge was for $34. 99. The thing that makes me so mad about this is that it cost...

termination

First of all Match.com billed me for another year when I cancelled and had a return email verifying that I...

not checking out applicants

My husband I have just discovered is registered with both match.com & meetic.co.uk as single with grown up children (yes from his first marriage not our two pre schoolers though). Not only that but he is seeking somebody with children to become part of their family! Futhermore he has a record for violence against his first wife and is known to the police for violence against me. Why don 't these dating companies make better checks.??

• Va
    val Oct 13, 2008

• Sg
    sgt.acquah Jan 19, 2014

TO THE SITE FOR PUBLICATION

INVOLVING GHANA. Having thoughts or doubts about who you are really talking or chatting with (whether he or she is a scammer or not) or you have never set physical eyes on that person(s) before. Internet scam has become very rampant in our today’s world now. Ghana Police Service is now at your door step, if you are talking, or chatting to whether he or she exists, to internet dating and business.

2. We to help you to be very sure about the following;

1. Whether he or she is a scammer or not.

3. To help the Republic of Ghana to fight against internet fraud and scam, in other to maintain the good name of the country, Ghana.

4. Report in other to save other person(s) hard earned money from the scammers and fraudsters that is, not to fall a victim.

You can contact us by the following email addresses;

1. [email protected]

2. [email protected]

Looking forward to help you in all aspect of internet involving a Ghanaian person(s).

no matches

I am a subscribing member. In 6 months I have only been matched with 2 men who matched my criteria. Met only 1-and he was only on here for a trial membership. All the other matches I receive each week-an average of 54 per week-do not match. They are either looking for someone who is younger, or lives closer to them. I would think that match.com would match the criteria for both parties-and not just send a one way match, what good does that do?
Also the trial memberships encourage scammers from Nigeria. Have been contacted by individuals that all use the same photo.
Match.com states they don't allow individuals who are "separated" I receive matchs with persons who say they are "separated." What's with that?
Also, I am trying to get my free 6 months and they are giving me some b.s.
I do not recommend this dating site. Have gotten more activity on free sites. Because I'm set up for automatic renewal (to get the guarantee) I now have another 6 months that has been paid for. I would like to cancel and get my money back on a prorated basis-but they don't offer this service.
RIPOFF! ! ! !

28539jackie Nov 24, 2009

I worked for Match.com. I can help with some of your issues. You can call customer service regarding the matches. When I worked there a cusotmer would have several ways to search, one method was called "two way". Speak to them regarding your match criteria as well. They're there to assist you.

Match.com doesn't allow anyone who is legally married to join their site. If someone has contacted you who is married you should notify Match.com and they'll investigate and shut down their profile.

Nigerians are a big issue, I would shut down 20 profiles alone in a single day, as quick as I did, they'd open a new one. I found some of the Nigerians that I busted posing as an American on Myspace as well. I mean, with the same picture and exact same wording, ontop of it they tried to get me as a Myspace friend, not knowing I was the person who busted them on Match.com. They seem to be on every site trying to scam Americans out of money, and they somehow manage to find people who hand over thousands of dollars at a time, thinking they are actually helping an American. There's no way to stop it. It's a big problem everywhere.
    Good luck!

Resolved match.com guarantee issue was finally corrected

I reached a customer service representative by the name of Robert and with the

I would receive my next 6 months free as promised with my new expiration date

being 21Mar2008.

Thank you for resolving this issue. The representative I spoke with was

extremely polite and helpful.

W 15Sep2008

so to ensure the possibility of striking the wrong key (yes or no). When I

realized I had accidentally made the incorrect keystroke. I contacted match

to match.com's guidelines. I was refused. Cleary this action is fraudulent and

clearly when you check you records, you will find that I earned my free 6

months, and you will correct the problem and give me my free six monthx.

Otherwise I will feel it is necessary to contacti the attorney general's office

No I did not decline! I told you I accidentally hit the wrong button. I

contacted you immediately after on the same day it occured. What part of I did

not meet anyone special in 6 months did you not understand? This is very poor

better business bureau or who should I make a formal complaint to. WHo is your

by someone who can resolve this issue!

---- "Match.com" <customercare AT support.match.com> wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Notification of Issue Change

Description:

Entered on 09/13/2008 at 22:47:27 by Jonathan T.:

Dear Member,

Thank you for contacting Match.com.

We received your inquiry regarding the Match.com Guarantee.

Our records indicate that you declined the guarantee extension on 09/13/2008,

and are therefore ineligible to receive the extension.

Extension (due to ineligibility of the subscriber or failure of the subscriber

to accept the Extension) will automatically be renewed for successive six-month

subscription periods at the subscription rate in effect at the time of renewal.

See Match.com Terms of Use for details regarding Match.com subscriptions and

charges on your billing account.

For reference, below is a link to the Match.com Guarantee terms:

our help section at:

Your Partners in the Search for Someone Special,

Match.com Customer Care

Jonathan T.

Entered on 09/13/2008 at 11:00:01 by w AT nc.rr.com:

button. Could you check for me? I did not meet anyone special in 6 months and

would like to receive my free 6 months.

• Nr
    N. ROSE Oct 02, 2008

MATCH COM HAVE CHARGED ME FOR 6 MONTHS INSTEAD OF 1 MONTH .. I CANNOT SIGN IN TO RECTIFY .. ALL I GET IS STANDARD REPLY .. THEIR SUPPORT ADDRESS NOT WORKING

SandraInCo Oct 03, 2008

I also am having trouble with match.com and their guarantee. I was not even offered the free 6 months-I'm set up for automatic renewal. Am trying to get the free 6 months and getting the run around. Have been matched up with person who don't even fit my criteria.

• Wa
    walter swinford Oct 14, 2008

i can not log on to my account, using my password ??

• Je
    jen Mar 30, 2009

I also was never offered the free 6 months-I'm set up for automatic renewal, and I just realized that it has been over 6 months.When I called and asked at first they told me "sure we will refund your money today, and will give you 6 months free! After talking to supervisor for 20 min. assistant told me "you are approved! just wait couple hours for acct.to refresh and then click on "green words" 6 months Guarantee -above your profile pix and follow directions " I was waiting all day for my acct to change but, the only thing they did is closed my acct.I called back and asked whats happening with my acct? assistant said "you canceled it so you don't have it"! I o I said " you guys told me you will refund my money so I can have my 6 months free, so I agreed " . They told me " we will get back to you"! now I am waiting.