Marriott Vacation Clubstay away!

C Review updated:

Marriott Vacation Club Salespeople are Super-trained "used car salespeople!" They tell you how easy it is to book with Interval, their Parent Timeshare Company. They explain how much easier it is for platinum members, like myself, to book at your host club. Trust me - it is all fabrication! I could not book a week in October at my host Canyon Villas 11 months in advance! Once you trade a week into Interval, try finding a place to book for a week that's not a Ski Lodge or Tropical setting in the summer! Costs? How about $20, 000 for your week of timeshare, $750.00+ for annual Maintenance fees, $104.00 to trade week for points, $99.00 for Interval Membership, $84.00 to book your week, and oh yeah - $79.00 to cancel. After canceling, even due to a death in immediate Family, you have 60 days to use your week at a Resort. Good Luck with that! Breckenridge and Cancun are usually available in August, however. Check the figures, booking fancy hotels is much cheaper, and you don't have to stay a full week at the same location! And, you get the week you want without booking a full year in advance! Stay away from Vacation Clubs! Trust Me - a true sucker!

• Da
    david d. Dec 10, 2009

Charlie,

You seem very confused. I have owned with Marriott for almost 10 years. I have never reserved something more than 6 months out and I have gotten every reservation I have tried. I own two weeks and routinely reserve my home resort every summer with one week at the beginning of the summer and the other week at the end of the summer without fail. we have used it as well in spain, paris and aruba.

I feel the same way as you do about my MacBook. I suspect it has more with me learning to use it than my Apple being a lemon.

Call Marriott or Interval and ask someone to teach you how to reserve. Ask them especially about flex exchanges below 60 days. I get a lot of options that way. there are tons of locations you can go to and they are a mouse click away from reserving them.

• As
    asiaeats Jan 29, 2017

@david d. Our friends owned at Marriott Vacation club in Phuket and love it, we were referred for a presentation. Prior to the presentation we did some homework and found a vacation club re-seller who listed Marriott owners memberships for sale. The company is iVacAsia.com
    We bought the exact same program and points the developer showed us, however we saved 50% by buying from an existing member. So glad we did our home work. We found iVacasia to be professional and knowledgeable. Thanks again iVacAsia and we are referring all our friends to you versus the resort.

• Bu
    Bugmangaza Oct 17, 2010

I agree with Charlie. I also cannot book 11 months out as owning a three bedroom they just have been booked. At 10 months out the same but note not all availability are released 11 months out or 13 months out. They hold some back. As we own two weeks the early booking is a benefit we are told of owning multiple weeks. This seems to not be the case. Everything is about the learning curve but check if the unit works as stated or are there differences between reality and what you were told or believed.

• Vi
    Vince T Dec 08, 2010

I totally agree with Charlie, Marriott Vacation Club is completely a ripped off. With all of those fees annually, I could have got a a luxury all-inclusive vacation package any year any time I want to use. Not saying their maintenance fees keep going up every year! Now they even try to lure you into paying another $569 something for converting your unit to Marriott points. Bugmangaza, do you want to buy mine? I'll let you take over at no cost http://i-gotdeal.com/marriott so you can have the whole month membership with Marriott!!!
    Vince T

• St
    Steve C from Burbank, CA Dec 15, 2010

I also agree with David D. I have been a Marriott owner since 2006 and also own a Lawrence Welk unit. I bought both for a total of $23, 600 and could not be more happy with my purchases. I never stay in my home resort, I have always traded with II or for points every other year with MVC. I have always gotten what I wanted when I wanted to go, even for friends and family. With the initial "bribe" and other points accrued my wife took a 2 week European vacation which we would never have been able to afford without MVC. I think it is all a matter of knowing how to play the "timeshare game". Good luck.

Steve C of Burbank, CA

• Pl
    Pluperfect Apr 09, 2011

It's far cheaper to just book a week at a Marriott than to pay for it as a Marriott Vacation Club member.

Timeshare man Apr 19, 2011

@ Pluperfect
    Not true for example look online, for Palm Beach the annual Maint Fee for a 2 bedroom 2011 was $1383.59 for owners, according to marriott.com at a normal rate for non owners including tax for the same seven days in the platinum season its $2, 356.53! Thats almost a thousand dollar difference, you can state your opinion but that is not fact.
    @Charlie Sheetz
    You are only a true sucker for believing you are. Many people have problems with timeshares, the fees are expensive, they nickel and dime you, they never have what you want, etc... The only reasons for these complaints are due to your lack of diligence for not calling owner services or going online and gaining appropriate knowledge on how your timeshare works. First of all you incorrect saying Interval is Marriotts Parent Timeshare Company, it is Marriott Vacation Clubs partner. They in no way shape or form have any ownership over Marriott. They are our licensed exchange company to help our owners make trades to go to other resorts. Also most owners that have problems with II dont know how Interval operates. Again why havent you asked questions to a owners service rep? They have advisors and counselors for a reason. You are also incorrect with fees a one year memebership with II is $89 and its only $29 to change or cancel. I think you said $79 to make Marriott look more evil. Also we offer insurance for those kinds of things like a death or illness to reimburse your maint fees back. Again you can complain all you want but you needs to get correct facts first.

M.Athwal Aug 01, 2012

We are having problems with Riverside County, CA because someone in the Title department put the wrong address down and was sending our tax bills (that I didn't know we had) to the previous owners. Now we will probably loose our usage to foreclosure. When I asked Marriott for help they kind of said, sorry, but that's your problem.
    Now how is it they can "help" us by selling the unit to us but they can't help us with a problem like this?
    All they care about is getting your money. After that you're on your own.
    Beware if you own that thing in Palm Desert California!! the County won't help, all they want is your money and to steal your timeshare and Marriott doesn't care.!!!

TiredOfMarriott May 03, 2014

We purchased a platinum week in Lake Tahoe in 2006, but we struggle every year to exchange our 2 bedroom, lock-off unit for any properties within the Marriott Vacation Club locations. Marriott Vacation Club is a HUGE ripoff...!!! We spent 10's of thousands of dollars on this property, but we ALWAYS have to go outside of Marriott and use non-Marriott locations for all our vacations. I trusted Marriott because I travel a lot and they have been consistently good over the years. However, buying into Marriott Vacation Club was the worse purchase I have ever made. I really regret it.

• Co
    Corvette2001 Jun 06, 2014

Everyone wants to see value for their money/investment. If you do your happy with MVC if you don't your not.

I went to a presentation recently, and I was close to buying. I was able to get them to give me 24 hours to think about it. The deal was to buy 2500 points with another 2500 bonus points for immediate signing. They would also pay for my stay at their resort for that week. The cost $26, 000.

I used the 24 hours to scan the net, and run the numbers and angles in my head over and over again.

I came to the conclusion that after giving MVC 26, 000 they still owned the game. They can raise the point values for the vacations I wanted which would cause me to buy more points. If I wanted to sell they control the value of what these secondary points are worth, not on the open market but on Marriott's market.

For me buying a hotel room is not really a good investment. I would rather use the money to make a down payment on a vacation home or go on regular vacations.

• Aw
    awesome mom Jul 01, 2014

MVC would treat you well if you are an elite/ platinum member which we were before. As your status changes, that changes too. If you lost your job and couldn't pay your dues on time, worst! Their customer service with the (863) area code were the worst customer service I ever encountered. Even if you already made payment arrangement plan and diligent and continue to honor that plan, they would keep sending letters saying you haven't done it and you are in default. Payments are not reflected on my payment history on their website. It's good thing I kept track of my e-mail communication and all with them. Also, when listening to their timeshare presentation, don't be fooled. By the way, if ever they are giving away certificate where you can stay at their resort for free as part of their timeshare presentation, believe me it's difficult to get that free stay because they would always say that it's either fully book or what have you. We haven't been able to use it until it expired. If I knew then what I know now, I would never have gotten this MVC timeshare.

• Tr
    traveller1234 Aug 06, 2014

I also agree that the vacation club use is very restricted.Agree with some of you that it would be cheaper to book directly for a week in hotel considering all the costs associated.Also there are fine prints that you can only transfer week to Marriott reward program every other year, Cost of maintenance also has gone up in past few years.Also if anyone is looking to buy you can get it cheaper from outside sources.Marriott points program is even worse, if you do not use in the same year you loose all the points
    Beware before you purchase this.

• Pf
    PFoley Sep 01, 2014

The decision to purchase vacation club points can be difficult. The only way to determine if vacation club ownership represents a good value is to perform a financial analysis. This requires comparing costs associated with vacation club ownership with the costs of the alternative - paying retail costs for lodging fees. Before I purchased vacation club points, I created a spreadsheet to determine if there was a financial benefit associated with vacation club ownership. The spreadsheet was so helpful that I decided to create an application so that I could analyze future vacation club purchases. This application is called PointsCruncher and is located here: http://pointscruncher.com. I hope it helps make vacation club ownership decisions a bit easier.

Phil J. Honolulu, HI Dec 03, 2014

Don't buy into a brand new Marriott Vacation Club Point Package unless you are very rich!
    Marriott Vacation Club Condominium Resorts are very nice, there are 50+ throughout the world.
    If there is one location you really like, look on ebay to a deeded week and save yourselves $20, 000 to $30, 000!
    You can purchase a Marriott Timeshare Resale week for generally $3000 to $6000 from a previous owner.
    This week on ebay there were 60 reale weeks available. 28 were "buy it now" 32 others were true "auction" style format.
    Take a look at Central Florida's (Better Business Bureau) listings of dozens and dozens of BBB complaints against Marriott.
    Marriott Vacation Club's corporate headquarters is located in Orlando, Florida - that's why its the BBB in Central Florida.
    These complaints will open your eyes to challenges, costs, late fees, legal posturing and customer dissatisfaction from actual owners.
    Marriott Vacation Club is a new company now, it only licenses the name Marriott, from Marriott International of Bethesda, MD.
    Its important that you understand that this new and different company has different values than the original highly respected Marriott.
    The President of Marriott Worldwide Vacations Corporation is Steve Weisz (picture) Google his annual earnings/salary $4M

• So
    sooz1958 Dec 04, 2014

The Marriott sales people lied to us ... no doubt. I hate this program. You never can get what you want... the maintenance fees go up and up...Honestly the Marriott family should be ashamed of themselves... they flat out deceived buyers.

Phil J. Honolulu, HI Dec 04, 2014

I just found a website, of Marriott's, that offers Marriott Vacation Club Resale Weeks themselves and was surprised how reasonable the prices were. I compared many resorts. Maui for example had every other year deals starting around $10, 000 for a 1BR with a garden view to an every year 2BR with an ocean view for $35, 000. You can search their entire inventory worldwide. These units are repo's and defaults from past customers who just walked away from the obligation completely or couldn't keep up with the maintenance fees. The website is www.marriottvacationclub.com/resales and its very impressive. These costs are substantially lower than what brand new couples and families pay when they tour the Marriott Resort during the infamous 90-minute presentations and some would say and agree that a deeded week is much better than the points club deal Marriott has been selling retail these past four years. In my opinion, a deeded week, is much better than the "flexible" point system because the week will always be seven (7) days. Someone brand new can purchase seven (7) days worth of points but that will perpetually diminish because every couple years the cost to stay per point increases. When you have a deeded week, you can completely avoid the points system. Ebay is another great source for Marriott resale weeks. You will pay a whole lot less than even Marriott's own resale site, but you may encounter the ROFR "Right of First Refusal" giving Marriott the option to buy it back for pennies on the dollar from the original owner. Doesn't mean you will lose your money, but it could waste some time. They do not buy back (ROFR) every time so you can keep trying with ebay.

Phil J. Honolulu, HI Dec 06, 2014

Marriott Vacation Club 2015 Maintenence Fees Increase.

Visit www.tugbbs.com (Timeshare User's Group Bulletin Board System) for a detailed breakdown of every resort and every floor plan. Most annual increases for 2015 were 4.66% with a wide range from 3% to 7% For owners on the Destination Point System there is not a specific 2015 increase however the fee per point has increased 33% since redefined program to points launched in mid-2010.

Phil J. Honolulu, HI Dec 07, 2014

Don't join Marriott's Vacation Club unless you are very rich...

A few years ago, Marriott Vacation Club (NYSE: VAC) became its own new company when it split off from Marriott International (NYSE: MAR) ever since then there has been a gradual departure from the high integrity and morals of the original company which was led by the wonderful Bill Marriott, and his father before him J. Williard Marriott Sr. going back to 1929. This new company (VAC) only licenses the Marriott name. This new company is led by a bunch of greedy individuals who are only focused on bringing in more revenue today, at all costs. If you have just purchased, you might be able to cancel within the first week. If you are thinking of buying into Marriott Vacation Club, you might be much better off looking on ebay for a resale week and I'll revisit this topic again.

Marriott has been selling timeshares for the past 30 years, and don't misunderstand me, many are very nice. For the first 25 years, anyone who purchased a Marriott timeshare would receive a deeded week to whatever one resort you had selected or no doubt was visiting at the time of purchase. So that meant every year, or maybe every other year if you did a bi-annual deal you knew exactly what sized room you would have for 7 nights and also what type of view; e.g. mountain or ocean. Now if you wanted to go elsewhere, to either another Marriott property or another deluxe timeshare somewhere else in the world, it was possible by paying fees and depositing your week into a trading network, Interval International, and if you were a real good advance planner you could do your trade, but with the Marriott brand there is very little inventory place in for trading.

Roughly 5 years ago at the time of the split off from the original Marriott, the new greedy leaders and management came up with a clever way to outsmart everybody and provide a dis-service to their owner customers from the past 25 years. The new leadership revolutionized the product completely, put all 50 resorts into own new club, created a new currency called the destination point, and essentially anyone who has bought in these past few years is an equal owner to all 50 resorts. Instead of the paperwork being a deeded week to one resort, it is all legal with points and mumbo jumbo about a Florida land trust.

How they outsmarted everyone covers includes: a) no one resort can ever sell out, because they just keep selling points so in theory if your preferred place is sold out there has to be somewhere you can go b) they completely eliminated the lockoff concept that timeshare owners have utilized for years. Say if you bought into a 2-br for one week, you can turn it into two weeks by only staying in the smaller side. Its a nice concept that many old school timeshare owners have utilized. c) Although the legacy owners from the first 25 year shave their deeded week, they are often pestered with phone calls and emails encouraging them to lookover to converting to the point system, charging their old customers thousands of dollars to convert while also selling them more points in addition to the devaluated points they received at conversion time for their trade in. d) now each individual day at a Marriott resort costs a certain amount of points, but instead of being one simple points chart there are dozens. Weekends cost more than weekdays, various season issues, various floor plans, various views make it quite confusing and you know what they say "the devil is in the details". Plus every two year snow Marriott increases the number of points that it costs to stay each individual day within all the all other category details just mentioned: day, season, view, room size. You really need a calculator with you to make sure you know what each vacation costs in points. e) If you don't use your points, you loose them. You can bank your points for the following year if you remember to do it, but not again the following year.

Now this does not even touch on closing costs and definitely not maintenence fees. Maintenence fees are a reality with the timeshare industry. Old Marriott owners have the maintenence fees for their deeded week(s), All the people on the new program for these past 5 years pay maintenence fees tied to each point that they have been issued. And naturally like everything, the maintenence fees kep going up too. Be sure to calculate all of these potential costs.

On ebay, the Marriott timeshares definitely hold their value better than any other brand. On ebay the inventory is constantly changing and evolving but if you play it smart you can save yourselves easily $20, 000 - $30, 000 you will not get to go to all of the resorts, you'll have to just pick the one you like best. Marriott timeshare go between $3000 and $6000 on ebay bot that sure beats spending $23, 000 to $36, 000 or more.

The problem with Marriott resale weeks on ebay or anywhere for that matter: During a typical 2-3 month closing period of your Marriott resale week, Marriott themselves might come in and exercise their (ROFR) right of first refusal and buy that timeshare interest back from the original owner (for pennie son the dollar) leaving you and your resale seller emptyhanded. Most resellers will advise you that if the ROFR occurs you will be refunded your money, so be aware of that aspect, and protect yourself. Even if it happens once with the ROFR doesn't mean it will happen the second time.

Its fun to shop on ebay and to study the trends, You can go on there and mark each Marriott timeshare and "watch" it so each time you return to ebay you can easily find them. Read all the ads carefully. Examine the closing fees that the resellers have stated they charge and sometimes the previous owner will pay those closing costs for you. Find the various resorts, make sure you are clear on the resort, the unit size, the MF$, maybe a bi-annual deal is better for you.

Good Luck. If you can save $20, 000 to $30, 000 with a Marriott resale timeshare purchase, why pay full retail?

PROPOSED CLASS ACTION SUIT
    SUBMITTED: Saturday, December 06, 2014

Below is a cut 'n paste from The Orlando Sentinel. Orlando, Florida is the timeshare capital of the world and the location of the headquarters for Marriott Worldwide Vacation Corporation, which is led by President Stephen Weisz.
    The remainder of this installment of "Don't Buy into Marriott Vacation Club...unless you are rich" is the cut 'n paste except for the contact information of the NY based lawfirm, in case you would like to contact them yourselves:

Squitieri & Fearon, LLP

32 East 57th Street, 12th Floor
    New York, New York 10022
    (P) [protected]
    (F) [protected]

Online

[email protected]

Proposed class action hits Marriott timeshares

By Paul Brinkmann
    Orando Sentinel
    May 20, 2014

The Marriott Vacation Club is being sued in a proposed class action that targets the company’s time-share trading programs.
    The Orlando-based company was named a defendant in a lawsuit filed recently by three law firms on behalf of one named plaintiff, Salvatore Desantis of New Jersey.

The suit alleges that Desantis and other timeshare owners suffered loss of value to their timeshares when Marriott switched in 2010 from a week-based trade program to a points-based program.

The week-based program allowed customers to purchase a week of ownership at a specific location or resort. They could trade, but only with other specific locations. In the points program, customers buy points that can be used at a variety of locations. The points program is intended to offer more flexibility, but critics of the program complain that the basis for determining value of points at various properties can be arbitrary or disputed.

According to the suit, owners who purchased timeshares before 2010 are confined to the week-based program, which has a dwindling number of members. Marriott has offered owners a chance to trade up into the point-based program, but only for a fee of $10, 000, the suit alleges. Attorneys in the case said the class could number up to 15, 000 timeshare owners.

A spokeswoman for MVC's law firm, Greenberg Traurig, said the company declined to comment on the lawsuit.

“You have a lot of people who feel like they’ve been short-changed, ” said attorney Stephen Fearon of New York-based Squitieri & Fearon, one of the attorneys for Desantis. “In the next stage of discovery, we will try to get more information to identify the class.”

Ray Barto, another attorney with Squitieri & Fearon, said some owners “just don’t have the 10 grand, and some have it but just don’t want to shell that out. There’s also people who paid the fee already that could be in the class.”

The lawsuit seeks class action status. It was filed in Orange County Circuit Court in March but transferred May 9 to federal court in Orlando before U.S. District Judge Gregory A. Presnell. Other firms representing Desantis are Varnell & Warwick of Lady Lake and Gersowitz Libo & Korek of New York. Greenberg Traurig is representing Marriott Vacation Club.

Message boards for Marriott timeshare owners, including Marriott Rewards Insiders, reflected comments and discussion threads where members discussed the transition from weeks-based to points-based programs.

ADD ON THE "AIRFARE ONLY" COSTS TOO
    SUBMITTED: Saturday, December 06, 2014

In this installment of "Don't Buy into Marriott Vacation Club...Unless You Are Rich" we will be discussing the airfare component and how its expense surrounds Vacation Club ownership.

Depending upon where you live in America, and where you take your family vacations, you may like to drive, or you might have to fly. Driving certainly has its advantages: flexible timings and no need for a car rental. Flying is faster, you'll get there sooner; and sometimes its the logical solution, due to distance, or the inability to drive to e.g. the Hawaiian islands.

One enormous disadvantage to Vacation Club ownership, whether its Marriott, or any of the timeshare brands or resorts is not only the cost of airfare for all of your family members, but also the fact that when you purchase airfare only, at full retail, its always the most expensive.

Its amazing how the internet has revolutionized travel and vacationing options. Over this past decade it has improved and re-invented itself a few times. On line merchants; e.g. Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, etc. along with the power of the internet have given all of us the access to search and sort and compare prices on a tremendous amount of inventory.

When you purchase a vacation bundle (hotel + airfare + optional car) through one of these vendors, you definitely get a much better deal on the airfare component than when you purchase the airfare alone. Plus, these internet travel solution providers have agreements with all of the major timeshare resorts (Marriott, Hilton, Disney, Wyndham plus more).

So why make a lifetime of vacationing decisions up front? Just live cash and carry.

No need to join the "Once Exclusive" type of luxury resort, they are all on expedia, etc.

Take all of the factors into consideration when doing your economic evaluations...

This way you can avoid being ripped off or locked into a lifetime contract you will regret!

Respond to this report! What's this?
    #3 Author of original report
    MARRIOTT 2015 MAINTENENCE FEES INCREASE
    SUBMITTED: Friday, December 05, 2014

In this new installment of "Don't buy into Marriott Vacation Club..., unless you are Rich" we will discuss the perpertual trend for Marriott Vacation Club to continually raise their maintenence fees.

First, let me introduce you to a great web-site: www.tugbbs.com Its stands for Timeshare User's Group Bulletin Board System, and as always, I like to back up my assertions with facts and reference materials.

Now, when we discuss Marriott increasing their maintenence fees, there are two customers segment types:

1. The original owners who bought a Marriott Timeshare from 1984 to 2010 and/or anyone who has purchased a resale deeded week (or inherited a deeded week) from a previous owner, a reseller, bought on ebay, etc.

2. Any owners who bought brand new into the points system which was introduced in mid-2010. For this segment, lets look at a brief (cut 'n paste) from www.tugbbs.com

(As of 9/11/14, the Pricing Information page at marriottvacationclub.com indicates a base price of $12.24 per Point. There have been several price increases since the MVCD introduction (similar to Marriott's Weeks system in which price increases have been implemented on a regular basis.) For historical context, the introductory base price was approx. $9.20 per point; see for the pricing history contained in an official document obtained during a sales presentation. )

So for 2015, for owners on the points program there is not a specific 2015 increase announced yet, but if you read the paragraph above you can see that Points Maintenence Fees have already increased 33% in 4.5 years.

For the deeded week owners, www.tugbbs.com has every specific resort, every floor plan's 2015 increase. Was too complicated to do a cut 'n paste. I purused all around and saw many 4.66% increases, other increases ranged between 3% to 7%.

So in summary, Points MF increased 33% in 4.5 years and the deeded week annual increase approx. 5%. That web site www.tugbbs.com also features complaints and monitors satisfaction. Marriott owners score 44% on complete happiness/satisfaction.

Club President's 2013 Earnings: $4, 052, 376
    SUBMITTED: Friday, December 05, 2014

According to Wikipedia, the President of the United States annual salary (since 2001) is $400, 000.

According to Forbes Magazine, Steve Weisz, the President of Marriott Vacations Worldwide Corporation, his 2013 total earnings were $4, 052, 376.

This means that the based on 2013 financial figures, the President of Marriott Vacation Club earns 10x more than the President of the United States.

Based upon a 365 day year, and 2013 figures, the Marriott Vacation Club President earned $111, 024 per day.

If $1850.40 was the average/median maintenence fees that an established Marriott Vacation Club owner pays per year for their deed week or points, this means that for every SIX (6) OWNER families that pay their maintenence fees for the entire year, each group of six is applied to Steve Weisz's daily pay.

Or an an annual basis, take 2, 190 (two thousand one hundred ninety) owner's annual maintenence fees (averaged at $1850.40 each) and you have the total annual compensation for Marriott Vacation's President Stephen Weisz.

The Rip-Off here is that maintenence fees are presented to be related to the upkeep of the resort properties, not maintaining a greedy executive's lavish lifestyle. Marriott Timeshare Owners have a legitimate grievance here!

Visit the web site for (BBB) of Central Florida
    SUBMITTED: Thursday, December 04, 2014

Ever since the new leadership came along, turning Marriott Vacation Club into its own company (NYSE-VAC) paying licensing fees to use the name "Marriott" and redefining the Marriott Timeshare Business into Destination Points instead of the deeded weeks, numerous complaints have been registered in Central Florida's (BBB) Better Business Bureau as the new corporate heaqdquarters are based in Orlando, FL and the company is led by President Stephen Weisz.

Search online for BBB-Central Florida to see liteally dozens and dozens and dozens of registered complaints about the new company which formally does business under the name "Marriott Vacations Worldwide Corporation." Flipping through these numerous complaints will give you tremendous insight into the dark sided under belly of all those friendly smiles back at the resort.
    You'll definitely see trends with broken promises, hidden costs, and the endless expense of these luxury items that are often called "investments." You'll also get to read some responses from Marriott themselves which occassionally will reveal inflexible policies and legal posturing that follows.

Now if you are very rich, these compounding expenses might not matter much to you. If you are not wealthy, arm yourself with information free of charge. If you just bought in, definitely take the time to review the contractual details.

President earns over $4M anually
    SUBMITTED: Thursday, December 04, 2014

Aloha Folks, The American Dream is alive and well in Orlando, Florida for Marriott Vacations Club's President Steve Weisz. When you earn over $4m per year that's well over $10, 000 per day based upon a 365 days per year, $10k per day just for waking up, it's your day off no problem, you're still earning over $10k per day. Great job if you can get it, huh? Mr. Weisz must be the smartest man on earth, for any company to pay $4M per year.

One might ask, where would all this revenue come from? Some obvious answers include: Grossly overcharging Club buy in costs, annual maintenence fees, misc. add-on charges, late fees, penalties, the list goes on and on. Below is a cut 'n paste from a Forbes salary article. Verify this information with on-line search.

Marriott Vacations Worldwide Corp

President, Stephen Weisz age 63

Compensation for 2013

Salary $764, 423
    Restricted stock awards $1, 330, 021
    All other compensation $8, 207
    Option awards $570, 011
    Non-equity incentive plan compensation $1, 350, 000
    Change in pension value and nonqualified deferred compensation earnings $29, 714
    Total Compensation $4, 052, 376

ON LINE RESALE WEEKS, FROM MARRIOTT
    SUBMITTED: Thursday, December 04, 2014

These costs are substantially lower than what brand new couples and families pay when they tour the Marriott Resort during the infamous 90-minute presentations and some would say and agree that a deeded week is much better than the points club deal Marriott has been selling retail these past four years. Is a deeded week better than their new points system?

In my opinion, a deeded week, is much better than the "flexible" point system because the week will always be seven (7) days. Someone brand new can purchase seven (7) days worth of points but that will perpetually diminish, every couple years the daily cost to stay per point increases. When you have a deeded week, you can completely avoid the points system.

If by chance you just bought into Marriott Vacation Club and are researching Marriott timeshare because you just bought, I would strongly encourage you to visit Marriott's Resale web-site so you can calculate how much you have just been overcharged. Every state has a recission period where you can cancel, so you better hurry because the clock is ticking.

Ebay is another great source for Marriott resale weeks. You will pay a whole lot less than even Marriott's own resale site, but you may encounter the ROFR "Right of First Refusal" giving Marriott the option to buy it back for pennies on the dollar from the original owner. Doesn't mean you will lose your money, but it could waste some time. They do not buy back (ROFR) every time so you can keep trying with ebay, but shop carefully, and feel free to contact the seller with any questions.

LOOK AT THIS ONE DEAL ON EBAY!
    SUBMITTED: Wednesday, December 03, 2014

Today on December 3, 2014 I was purusing through the ebay listings of Marriott Resale Weeks and there were 61 of them posted for purchase which did does not include rentals. The Marriott Timeshare Rentals on ebay are a good deal because you are buying them directly from an owner, vs. dealing in the vacation condo rental market which can be tricky.

Anyways, this particular deal is on for 4 more days. Its for a true timeshare resale week purchase in the panhandle of Florida, in Panama City, at a resort named Bay Point. Here is why this is a sensational deal for a 2BR Villa, every year but only silver season (read all ebay ads carefully) for only this one resort:

1. The cost is only $19.00 for "Buy it now" ( a savings of roughly $25, 000)

2. All closing costs are paid for buy the seller ( a reseller savings of roughly $700 )

3. A $300 visa gift card is offered as an incentive for a serious buyer.

Below is the cut 'n paste from an ebay ad:

Silver Season Usage in Bay Point Florida! Only $19 "Buy It Now"

Buyer will receive a $300 visa gift card when the property transfers at the resort!

Buyers First Year Available: 2015

Usage: Annual Usage

Float Unit: 2 bedroom 2 bath, sleeps 8

Float week: 1-6, 49-50 Silver Season

Unit has a full Kitchen

Estimated Maintenance fee: $1231.00 due annually

Special Assessments: $0.00

Property Tax: Included in the maintenance fee above

Perpetually deeded ownership (Week 03, Unit 2406)

The buyer of this unit will be responsible for the additional fees listed below. All fees are due in escrow one week from receipt of the purchase contract. Resort Closings, Inc. will perform the closing (non-negotiable). Closing costs include account inquiry, escrow services, document prep, recording services and resort notification.

Additional Fees Include:

Resort Closings Inc. Closing Costs: $475.00 (Paid be Seller)

County Recording fee: $80.00 (Paid be Seller)

2014 maintenance fees, taxes & Special Assessments: $0.00

Resort transfer Fee: $120.00 (Paid be Seller)

Marriott has ROFR on this property!

CONTINUALLY POSTPONE THE EXPENSE!
    SUBMITTED: Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Hello again, another installment into my "Don't buy into Marriott Vacation Club... unless you are rich" article If you've been reading my other reports, you will see insight and recommendations to search ebay for a Marriott Timeshare Resale Week so you can save yourself $20, 000 to $30, 000 or more. Naturally a "used" Marriott Timeshare week only allows you to go to that one Mariott condominium resort, but that can be okay, its different though than the super-expensive points club membership/ownership that Marriott currently sells. In this installment, I want to introduce two new concepts:

1. Look to ebay, under vacation rentals and timeshare and you can find yourself a good next vacation. I honestly did this just a couple months ago. For $1100 I stayed 8 nights on Maui at the Westin Ka'anapali Villas timeshare resort just north of Black Rock in Ka'anapali. I purchased it from an ebay member who had been on ebay since 2002, like me. Plus this ebay member had over 300 positive reviews. He was a Starwood Owner and sold me a great deal. Now on one hand I still believe $1100 is a lot of money, but for the Westin, my gosh, for a studio kitchenette, and no presentation required, good. So since we're kind of focused on Marriott here, I have seen the same kind of rental posts on ebay which is so much more credible than Craigslist and better than the vrbo.com ads because they all have all sorts of deposits and cleaning fees. After my 8 nights I had to pay just under $50 for transient tax, but that was the only extra charge, $100 cash deposit at checkin. What I have noticed on ebay for these one time timeshare rentals is that last minute is where the very good deals are and if you secure an accomodation super-early which is noble to being a good planner, you might end up spending a bunch more.

2. Marriott sells Preview Vacations, in a very discreet manner. If you want to stay at a particular Marriott resort, assuming you are already not in their system as an owner, the marketing reps at that very resort can usually sell you an open ended vacation in a smaller sized unit, generally 5 nights for $500 however you are required to sit through the 90-minute presentation on that future trip. These are generally open ended and are good for up to 18 months, but they generally are not compatible with a last minute inquiry and availalility. I tell you this to make certain you know you have other options and that any way that you can CONTINUALLY POSTPONE THE EXPENSE makes prudent sense in these uncertain times. So if you decide to pursue the preview vacation, discreetly call upon that one resort, ask for the marketing rep, tell them that you think you met them several months back, mention the idea, but then let them take over and present it to you. Be prepared to pay e.g. $500 up front on cc and you probably won't even know dates. It does work. But again its offered discreetly.

more Marriott Timeshare through ebay!
    SUBMITTED: Monday, December 01, 2014

On December 1, 2014: www.ebay.com had 60 diiferent ads for Marriott Resale Timeshare weeks from owners direct or through resalers, brokers and/or title companies representing the owners direct. One nice thing about ebay is that you are able to contact the owner with questions while the auction is still up. Sometimes you can negotiate an even better price, but not always. Other times, there is a way to make a "Best Offer" The inventory on ebay is always evolving. As an experienced ebay buyer and seller, let me share with you some insight on the physcological lows and highs when you are a seller. In the middle of your auction you are feeling great. Near the end of the auction, when something really is marketable and will sell, lots of bids will come in at the very end. When the auction ends and you had no bidders yet still are faced with ebay fees and even more when you relist, this is when a seller is most vulnerable to sell even lower.

Ebay has many different formats. Of the 60 Marriott timeshare resale posts on 12/1 - 28 of them were in the "buy it now" format which means if a serious buyer (or non-serious idiot) comes along and hits the button the auction ends. The most popular format is "auction" style which as the timeline. If the ad says $1 on page one, you had better make sure that you open it up real good and see what the actual price is, on top of the winning bid, plus of course maint fees and closing costs.

DON'T GET GRUBER-ED!
    AUTHOR: Phil J.
    SUBMITTED: Sunday, December 14, 2014
    In this installment of "Don't Buy into Marriott Vacation Club unless you are very Rich" we take a close look at some economic facts and again "unless you are rich" we caution you to not get Grubered!
    The MIT Economics Professor thinks "American Voters are Dumb" and so must the architects of the Marriott Vacation Club Destination Points Program. The new Marriott company must think that American Vacationers are really stupid!
    It does not take an Economics Professor to identify the dual-flawed double downward trajectory of value for the customer. You see, when you decide to purchase a lifetime's worth of annually renewed "bucket of points" under the new Marriott program; you lose, in two important financial areas:
    1. Every 2 years the point value COST PER DAY of Resort Stay Increases.
    2. The maintenence fees COST PER POINT Continually Increases.
    For example, if you were to buy in and purchase enough points to get yourself a 2 bedroom condo for one week every year. Ten years later those points might only buy you 5 nights, or 7 nights in a one bedroom. As time goes on, your investment continues to lose its value beyond the "driving the car of the lot" its as if every few years, in addition to the rising costs, you lose a door or a wheel too. Plus, in less than 5 years since the program has been introduced, maintenence fee cost per point has risen 33%. In both of these examples, you will definitely lose financially and Marriott always wins.
    Other ways Marriott must think you you are dumb is that you need their help to determine where to stay on your family vacations. Like you are not able figure it out yourself each year with all the variety and options and online resources such as expedia and ebay and vrbo and redweek and tug and priceline and travelocity and the list goes on and on. Plus they must think you are really stupid that you would prepay the bulk of these cost up front, for your entire lifetime, not to mention... Are you so sure that you know what you want to do for the remainder of your lives? Don't get Grubered by the new Marriott company!

Phil J. Honolulu, HI Dec 16, 2014

Trickle Down GREED! That's what you have with the new company that is Marriott Vacation Club (NYSE-VAC)
    AUTHOR: Phil J.
    SUBMITTED: Sunday, December 14, 2014
    Leading the FRAUD Train, a new company that hijacked the Loyalties and the Name Brand Recognition of MARRIOTT,
    This old timer, an old Marriott Executive, Stephen Weisz, acquires company (to start his own) through an aging Bill Marriott.
    Weisz then "pays himself first" leading the way to his daily $11k income which is just a part of a $4M annual pay schedule.
    Then with no respect or regard to existing customers of 26 years, changes the rules to benefit him and his new company.
    Greed and Revenue reign. Published company values no longer matter. Its a greedy corporate culture out of Orlando, FL.
    The greed from the corporate culture trickles down to their various centers. The greed is picked up by their management.
    It's really a sad tale of corporate greed. There were ample methods for the new company to move forward with integrity.
    Instead, e.g. Stockholders and President are paid dividends funded from increased maintenence fees passed on to owners.

A FOOL AND HIS MONEY ARE SOON PARTED
    SUBMITTED: Monday, December 15, 2014
    In this installment of "Don't Buy into Marriott Vacation Club unless you are Rich" we revisit that old saying of how "A Fool and His Money are Soon Parted" and draw a comparison to some folks who buy into their new points program.
    In a perfect world, even if you are rich, let's take a scenario of a family ready to pay $42, 000 for enough points for an oceanview 2BR villa for one week with plans to take this same vacation every year. Based upon the new rates for the maintenence fees, its roughly $2000 per year, but they will go up.
    Now in this perfect world, where you have the cash, you could cherry pick the ideal resale week for the same resort, and at top dollar pay $12, 000. This would then leave you $30, 000 in savings by going resale and then in theory if you could place that $30, 000 into a lockbox or better yet into an annual CD and not touch it for any other purpose than maintenence fees, then you would have 15 years of maintenence fees already banked.
    The fees will continue to increase but then you would be collecting some interest on the CD. Each year when its time to reinvest, just take out $2k, and reinvest the remainder into a new CD. This is one way to win with Marriott, and not foolishly part with your money. Marriott Resale Weeks can be found online on ebay, redweek.com, tugbbs.com and a variety of other places. Do your research!

Phil J. Honolulu, HI Dec 22, 2014

RESALES ON REDWEEK

In this installment of "Don't Buy into Marriott Vacation Club unless you are Rich" we will further clarify "Don't Buy Into the Brand New (Retail) Less Desirable Point System" If you can afford a luxury purchase such as a Marriott Timeshare Property, do yourselves a huge favor, and purchase a resale week vs. a retail deal and save yourselves $20, 000 to $30, 000 or more! There are many sources! One awesome source is www.redweek.com Once you set up a log-in with Redweek and want to begin shopping for a Marriott Timeshare for either a one-time week rental or a lifetime resale deeded week, you must first begin by selecting one resort; e.g. Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club on Oahu's sunny west side. Below is an example of the dozens and dozens of choices for you. Plus, when you are on the real site by selecting "view" you can get more information on contacting the seller. Peruse through these listings. They start at only $4000. The "Use" column is very important because back in the days of deeded week procurement, Marriott offered "every year" or "every other year" choices also known as Bi-Annual. Bi-Annual obligations might actaully be better for you for a wide varierty of reasons. As you scan down you'll see the lowest costs are for bi-annual weeks either "odd" numbered years or "even" numbered years. It isn't until you see "annual" where the every year deals begin. Check it Out! Instead of getting Ripped-Off with a Brand New Overpriced and Masterfully Planned Destination Points Program that Marriott currently sells at their resorts, Go Resale! Check out these resale week deals for Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club (and make sure that you understand the closing costs and issues and the maintenence fees):

Price Week (Season) Use Type Unit View Bd/ Ba Occ
    $43, 500 1 (High) cal Annual Deed Ocean view 2/ 2 8 View
    $47, 500 Floating (Varies) Annual Deed Varies 2/ 2 8 View
    $49, 900 52 (High) cal Annual Deed Ocean view 2/ 2 8 View

Phil J. Honolulu, HI Dec 25, 2014

REGARDING THE RECENTLY DISMISSED LASS ACTION LAW SUIT AGAINST MARRIOTT VACATION CLUB (part 2)

Aloha Again and just some more afterthoughts on the Class Action Lawsuit that was dismissed against Marriott Vacation Club. After reading some of the expressions of desire to sue from Marriott Owners who blog on Redweek, and the like, it got me to thinking... If another, better focused Class Action Lawsuit was to resurface against the new company Marriott Vacations Worldwide Corporation (NYSE-VAC) not to be confused with the 86 year old American Treasure and Brand, Marriott International (NYSE-MAR) while learning lessons from failed attempts of the recent Desantis case: How could/would the new complaint read?

Some fodder to begin with includes bits and pieces of: Fraud, Deception, Breach of Implied Contract, Negligence, Bait and Switch, Overcharging, Failure to Provide Purchased Product, and lastly Embezzlement. These are serious allegations or statements but its bits and pieces of them that touch upon this unique case study. For example:

1. Was there full disclosure to the old owners who bought from (MAR) who then were influenced and persuaded to pay more to convert to the new system that they were now dealing with an entirely new (VAC) company? If since November 2011, the old owners were not advised that they were dealing with a new company, essentially an absence of full disclosure...Isn't that a deceptive tactic on MVWC's part?

2. If a system that deals with sizable customer investments in the range of $20k to $50k works one way for 26 years, and that's how its sold, and promised to remain, is it ethical and legal to change it so dramatically?
    Isn't that at face value a breach of contract? And for the company that forced the changes on marketplace, is it ethical for that new company to charge their existing customers to convert over to the new system?

3. If participating in a timeshare trading network is all part of the value proposition for the 26 years worth of customers who purchased the deeded weeks from 1984 to 2010, isn't the company obligated to continue to facilitate and rejuvenate that process/those procedures with adequate inventories as promised and verbally reinforced by the all the salespeople along the way vs. the opposite of what the new company does by strategically placing small inventories that result in little trading availabilities which then make the new points system not only look more attractive it makes it appear to emerge as the only viable alternative?
    Isn't that at face value a deceptive practice?

4. When the new company is doing so well that even the stockholders are receiving cash dividends on top of increased value of their stock per share, does it seem proper and ethical to still increase the annual maintenence fees to the owners that frankly made it all possible? Doesn't the term "owner" itself imply equitable rewards with financial success? Shouldn't the owners receive dividends? These owners are on the hook with added assessments when the financials are not looking good, shouldn't the owners receive some consideration in good times?

5. The Points Program on paper is somehow based upon a Florida Land Trust. Now how exactly does land in Florida turn into Points? And how can these points from a Florida Land Trust be spent at other locations? And why do these points even expire? If Marriott customers are purchasing these points with cash, why is there such a short shelf life?

6. One theme of chronic complaints is "We can never get in" and these complaints are articulated through the Legacy Owners who bought in between 1984 and 2010 as well as the Destination Points new buyers and converters since the controversial Points Program was introduced. Granted, some may try to make their reservations for highly desirable times or on short notice, but everyone? Shouldn't there be some mercy and accountability from Marriott in these examples? Is it fair to all the customers who pay out the sizable cash to ultimately not get to take any vacation that year, to lose out completely, or have their points expired? If its acceptable for a firm's "use it or lose it" policy to even exist, what about those who really try to use it and their reservation is denied from Marriott at their home resort or their trade was denied from ii because Marriott failed (their strategy) to provide the adequate inventories?

7. Another theme of chronic complaints is "The salesperson told me..." All of us in life have learned lessons of verbal statements vs. a written agreement and in contract law the signed contractual agreement wins. But can it ever reach a level of grand conspiracy? If unethical actions are taking place at dozens of sales centers all of the nation, could laws ever be modified in these examples or will the written contract always win no matter what supplemental verbal statements of persuasion may be strategically used? Is it safe to assume that vacationers will not have the time or desire to read through nearly 100 pages of contract? Or that they might wait until they get home either not knowing or just forgetting that the clock is ticking on their time to cancel? Their rescission period.

8. How exactly did (VAC) President Stephen Weisz acquire the Timeshare Division from the publicly held Marriott International? As an Executive from (MAR) the public company, was it really ethical for Stephen Weisz begin a total annual earning schedule of $ 4 Million + which divides down to over $11, 000 per day. Was he entitled to earn 10x more than the salary of the President of the United States as an employee of a publicly held company? Was he the Founder? (NO) Owner/Investors of any timeshare vacation club expect that their annual maintenence fees towards the wide variety of expenses to upkeep the property, and no doubt they are reasonable enough to know that their dollars are applied towards salaries and other infrastructural support expenditures. Do owners have a right to be upset when they see these annual fees they pay maintain the lavish lifestyles of greedy executives?

Phil J. Honolulu, HI Dec 26, 2014

Timeshare Industry's Lack of Government Regulations.

This author is generally not a proponent of increasing the size or power of government. However here, we are talking about an industry who's product purchase can be one the of the largest a consumer ever makes. You have your home purchase, number one. Your timeshare or vacation club purchase is often more costly than your automobile purchase, etc. Left unchecked, and free to create their own maze of self-serving rules, Timeshare Industry Organizations can do almost whatever they please, such as Marriott taking a 26 year old system and changing the rules which at times are very harsh and shrewd for the primary purpose of increasing their profitability with little or no regard to past company promises or the customer's previous sizable financial investments. And just because they bury a few paragraphs into a very long, detailed contract stating they can change things, that does not make it ethically correct in many people's view.

The timeshare industry is in a unique position that inherently offers them many advantages. There are very few other industries that have their customers contractually obligated to perform for the actual lifetimes of those customers. If payments are not made, or if its deemed that a customer is not following the rules, or performing, the accessibility to the customer's product is denied and/or penalties compound. Unlike a home builder, a car manufacturer, or a lending institution, If a timeshare company goes out of business, the customer no longer has access to the product. If a timeshare company becomes so financially successful from perpetual rising rates or crowds of new customers to where the older customers can not seem to access their product purchase (which is really a key complaint from many, about Marriott Vacation Club ) there's really nothing that can be done in an industry that has virtually no regulations beyond initial cancellations. It's their way or the highway. Choose the highway, lose all the money you had invested in your vacation dreams and pipe-dreams. If disasters, or a major expense or even desired enhancements arise (e.g. pv solar installation) for the timeshare company's real estate; buildings or grounds, the timeshare companies are able to charge additional assessments to their owners to pay for such expenditures. Its almost as if the timeshare industry can extort money from their customers as time goes on and the years go by, and the customers, who are also called the "owners" have very little recourse except to default. These are some of the long term reasons why possibly government regulations could protect customers.

Now here's an additional short term Government Regulation Suggestion to eliminate misunderstandings: Its similar to Regulation Z, Truth in Lending, in the consumer lending industry. For this discussion, Timeshare and Vacation Clubs purposes, let's call it Regulation TVC. When the deal is being made, in addition to the e, g, 100 pages of contract, and the endless paperwork that the Timeshare Industry's Lawyers produce to protect their interest, not yours, there is a new 1 page summary, required by Regulation TVC, that is designed to protect you. The 1 page summary (which may actually needs to be 2-3 pages ) requires line by line initials to a vast range of brief and simple of statements in simple English that cover all the comprehensive relevant details. From deposits, cancellations, penalties, assessments, customer responsibilities, reservation procedures, financing, expectations, annual maintenence fees, data on previous increases in maintenence fees, non-usage, trading, swapping, selling, advanced planning requirements, other recourse, etc. Every conceivable detail of required customer understanding is further guaranteed by the customer's initials, line by line.

Phil J. Honolulu, HI Jan 05, 2015

Aloha Folks! Please visit my web-site www.complaintsmarriottvacationclub.com Its filled with humor and visual stimuli too.

• Un
    UnhappyMarriottMom Jan 22, 2015

I am a MVC Points owner and am thoroughly disappointed in the lack of availability we have to resorts. I often book 10-12 months in advance, depending on if we are staying 7 days or fewer. I still find there is no availability. I find it difficult to believe all units have been booked that far in advance. This program is a total scam. Is there a class action lawsuit? Any info would be appreciated. I know it is buyer beware and the lengthy contracts probably cover MVC for all kinds of things, but this entire points program seems to be a scam. They keep selling it when they can't even service existing customers.

• Su
    SurferAl Jan 27, 2015

Marriott Timeshare has not only changed the months for our Gild membership season, we have to have our maintenance fees paid at MARRIOTT NEWPORT COAST VILLAS BEFORE we can reserve our week. So now if we want a week from Jan-May of 2016 we have to pay those fees 12 months before, sometime in early 2015, just to reserve our week. We deposited a 2014 week with Interval International (which also involves fees) and got a week in 2015 at our home resort after Marriott told us there weren't any available. Marriott won't let us use it unless we pay up our 2015 fees ... even though we didn't use a stay in 2014 and that's the week we are using. So.. if I want to reserve a week in 2016 I need to pay 2016 maintenance fees NOW to reserve it for next year. As it is We're getting the shafts for 2 years of stays. I'm a disabled veteran and haven't been able to work for 8 yrs now. They won't even rent our 2015 week to pay the fers. We have to try and do it now. These people don't care. I've already contacted customer service who did forward it up the ladder quick. I firmly believe.that they are padding availability for owners because we got a phone call from the promotions Dept last Xmas asking us if we wanted 4 days at Newport Coast Villas, our home resort and whom told us no weeks were available!
    BUT... I was told politely "..Sorry.. there's nothing I can do...". Even though the maintenance fees are paid for the year being used. Also if somone from another timeshare company had use Interval International they would get their stay.

• Pa
    Paul Nordini Jul 07, 2015

I am preparing to file a class action lawsuit on behalf of all Marriott Vacation Club owners that operate on the points system. Essentially, no one can truly book a stay at any of the nice places that they sell. Alternatively, people are forced into making trips to places they find undesirable or not use their points. Call me, and I want to hear your story. Paul [protected]

• Jz
    J Zimmer9 Aug 18, 2015

I have a time share at Marriott Grand Vista - It is the absolute worst decision I ever made. In the past 10 years I have only been able to get a reservation at my resort twice. I have had to go through Interval International which is a whole other story. Save your money. You can has a great vacation on the maintenance fees alone. Bank the cost of a timeshare and go where you want to go anytime you want. Never, Never, ever buy a timeshare!

• Sh
    Sharon Campbell Sep 08, 2015

I have never had complaints before this year. My husband and I were actually planning to purchase more points to get to the next level. We didn't have problems getting reservations until the last year or so. Last year, we only found one beach villa available but we were late booking. This year, we tried to book early and couldn't get anything we wanted. We had to use the waiting list. They hold your points when you're on a waiting list. It's a gamble because you can't be on a list that tells you when something you're interested in is available.

We changed our minds about trying to buy enough points to get to the next level after we discovered they've raised the points for the next level and those who had already achieved executive status were not grandfathered in. If they changed the game on their members with that, what's to say they'll change it on other things in the future. They told us that they would not increase the number of points needed for villas, but I don't trust that they won't and I'm not sure they haven't been doing it. I've lost trust in them. They seem to be selling more points but haven't been building more timeshares. On top of that, they keep a certain number of villas to rent for revenue. I have no idea what percentage of the villas go to points owners and what is rented out to the general public. All I know is that there's obviously not enough reserved for owners to make it worthwhile to buy the points and pay the maintenance fees.

People are trying to get out of their timeshares and selling them cheap. We thought about trying to buy more points second hand but we would still have more maintenance fees with those extra points and there would still be a shortage of villas.

• Sh
    Sharon Campbell Sep 08, 2015

I like the vacation club points plan when we first joined. We bought some additional points later and planned to buy enough for the next level. Several things have happened to cause us to no longer trust the time share program.

• Da
    Dannymac Dec 13, 2015

Don't do it. I've been a member of Marriott Vacation Club for 10 years, and the value of the property to resell my week is 25% of what I purchased, and they said it would move with current real estate values. Not true. They now sell that same week for significantly more, but we take a 75% haircut?? Using the week is very difficult each year as well, and expenses continually increase. I would NOT recommend it.

• So
    Sokol, Agron, Samir Selmani Jan 27, 2016

• Re
    rehillus Jan 30, 2016

How about having to pay a fine of $25 late payment fee for 70 dollars that you owe and no one sends an invoice or e mail to make you aware of the issue by the way the issue was cleared last year with balance 0 but somehow it came up this year with a fine and can not book my week till i pay the 70 dollars with fine YES I THINK THEY ARE A BUNCH OF CROOKS...agree

Timothy M. F. Mar 10, 2016

I have 1 question, why should I lose destination points after 1 year if not used after I have paid for them . That seems kinda like stealing, if I buy a house and pay for it no one comes after a year and takes it away, the points should be deeded just like the properties are or were and should stay with me as long as I want to keep them.
    Tim

• Wo
    worthlessRE Apr 18, 2016

Tried to get out of Marriott many times. Even applied to pay Marriott's exorbitant charges, they take 40% and sell at 40% of original cost. After many years and reams of paperwork I am still paying through the nose. You have to sign 14 pages and have it notarized for Marriott's protection. Not interested in dealing with even one more possible scan. These are terrible 'investments'. Marriott makes a fortune renting unused timeshare and screwing owners out of money.

• Ig
    igivup May 22, 2016

I have owned 3 weeks for fifteen years, always taken an hour and a half phone call to get a week reserved. I had a week reserved at Ocean Watch
    Myryle Beach for May [protected], My guests arrived 4 hours ahead of us with confirmation papers in hand. The front desk said they had no record
    of that confirmation, Now, my wife and adult son spent 3 hours on the phone talking to about 8 different people all over the country tying to figure it out, it finally came down to some one in Utah had dropped the ball. They told us there was no rooms available and could do nothing for us, Meanwhile I was on another phone calling to Ocean Watch to get a reservation for same dates, they said they had a couple of rooms for $2500. I relayed that info to my wife who was on line with a supervise, he told her that was in a different block and could not help. We had to book another hotel down the street. A 15 year member and they do not care. Someone advise me what to do, Marriott screws you coming and going. By the way I have had 3 $20, 000 timeshares on the market for $ 7000 each and onl $2000 offers. What a sucker I am. Ron from China Grove, NC.
    I wish someone could get a class action lawsuit started

MarieTemp Dec 27, 2016

@igivup I think we need to find someone to get a lawsuit going. These guys are criminals and steal from people daily. Does anyone know how to satrt a lawsuit like this. I am SURE we can get THOUSANDS of people involved.

• Th
    The Big Fool Dec 01, 2016

Bought 2 weeks Beach Front Platinum Marriott Timeshare in 2000 but have never been able to stay at my home resort when I wanted to. If fact I have never had a stay in my home resort, the only time I was ever in it was when the Marriott Sales person showed me around!! The weeks cost me $80000 if this was not bad enough all the maintenance fees were on top of this every year.

Paid for peak time of year and could get any availability even when booking 13 months in advance. There have been years where I have paid the maintenance fee and not been able to stay anywhere at all. I ended up only being able to trade with II for off peak resorts in places that I would not want to visit like Spanish beach resort in November. I could have had a fabulous 5 star vacation anywhere in the world, and at the time I wanted with this amount of money. I have tried to sell for $2000 per week and no one wants to buy. Thinking it would help when the new points system was introduced I paid to have the option to convert my weeks to Marriott Destination Points which also turned out to be useless too.

Have asked Marriott several times and they will not buy them back but have finally said they will take the weeks back but not give us any money for them i.e. we surrender the deeds and walk away with nothing, but the nightmare will end. the 2 weeks which has cost me £80000 they get it for nothing and then can resell it again for another high profit .

When we bought we were told we could stay anywhere in the world either at a Marriott Timeshare or trade with Interval International. Or trade each week for Marriott Reward points. We were also told "It's a great investment Timeshare goes up in price not down your weeks are real estate Beach front property doubles in value every few years " Marriott reward points are based on the price of the hotel rooms and the 110000 points I can get for each week would now only pay for 2 nights in a 5star hotel, and then they put you in the worst room in the hotel.

The whole experience has cost us numerous sleepless nights, and we have lost well over $130000 as we have nothing to show for it except lots of hard work to pay for the nightmare lots of withdrawals from our Bank and lots of credit card charges for the maintenance charges each year. Which is now $5629.14 for 2017. Which I have to pay whether I like it or not, I can't believe I was such a fool to sign up to pay a maintenance fee which goes up in price every year for perpetuity, even when I am dead my children are expected to continue paying.

My advice, I have and am suffering constant worry due to the lies I was told. I am paying the equivalent of a brand new car every year just for the maintenance fees and get nothing for it. So if you buy timeshare be prepared to lose 100% of your "Investment"

MarieTemp Dec 27, 2016

We have owned the Marriott Arubs Surf Club for over 10 years. the only real complaint we have had were the outrageous maintenance fees. We are now paying over $1800 a year. How ridiculous. We recently converted our weeks to the destination points program. We were sold it as if it was an "upgrade" to what we already had. We converted and bought an extra 2000 points under the assumption and the sales people that this was an upgrade. We just got a letter in the mail saying our maintenance fees were past due. What?? They arent due until January. In over 3 hours spent in their sales center on VACATION, they reluctantly didnt tell us that the points will also come with an outrageous maintenance fee!! No way. I need to know what my options are. Never once did they mention this. They zip through the 8000 pages of contract and never once said anything about the maint fees. I am sick to my stomach. Done with Marriott. I need to know what my options are. We put over $6000 down on the points and want this canceled due to absolute misrepresentation.
    I will make it my number one effort in life to put these criminals out of business.

• Le
    lee3993 Jan 19, 2017

I owned my timeshare with Marriott for approximately 10 year Unfortunately I lost my job and could not pay my maintenance fees first several months I called Marriott in January and explain My problem .I called them back in October to make payment they informed me that my timeshare had been foreclosed.
    My Timeshare was paid off I had no mortgage on it Marriott never contacted about the foreclosure They will not give me a phone number or an email address to the Foreclosure Department nobody is contacting me I've called several attorneys they only deal with getting out of timeshares.
    If anybody could give me some advice of 4 to go or what to do it would be appreciated thank you

• Al
    AlexRuiz Mar 16, 2017

These timeshares are a scam. Please read the below article before you buy