Lumber Liquidatorsdeceptive representation of product

R

In 2011, we purchased cork flooring for our new home. We chose from the sample in the Lumber Liquidators (LL) showroom. They displayed flooring with a layer of cork laminated to a wood base. The total depth of the product was about 3/8 to 1/2 of an inch. This is what we were looking for. The finish had a 25 guarantee as well. We ordered flooring for 6 rooms in our home based on this sample. We did not have them do the installation because their nearest location was 50-60 miles from our home in Solvang, CA, and my husband is a contractor whose crew has installed many types of flooring over the years. When the boxes of flooring arrived at our home about one week before move in, the cork finish showed through an opening in the box and it looked as we expected. When they went to install the floor and opened the boxes, we realized that the cork flooring we purchased was just a thin (1/8 in.) thick of cork and was not backed to wood at all. Due to timing, we had to install these floors and they were ugly from day one. I called LL and they refused to send someone out to inspect because we hadn't had them install it and it was "probably installed incorrectly". I also told them that the 25-year finish scuffed permanently if you brushed your foot on it and it looked terrible. They still refused to come out. After 2 years, we replaced the cork in our living room, kitchen, pantry and laundry room with hardwood and we just finished 2 of the bedrooms with a laminate we, thankfully, did not purchase from LL. We are out thousands of dollars because of their deceptive display and refusal to stand behind the products they sell. Incredibly, about 9 months after we purchased the flooring, we went back to their office to check on some flooring for one of my husband's clients and they had the same cork showing it backed to wood on display in their showroom. I told one of the salesmen that I had a problem with this and explained why. He just looked at me blankly and put the sample back on display. I believe LL should reimburse us for the new flooring we had to purchase. There is still one room left to replace and this room will display how horrible this cork flooring is after just 3-1/2 years, let alone 25 years!