LGRust around bleach dispenser

K

I purchased my LG top loader washer in April 2012, in 2015 I started to notice rust around the bleach dispenser. I’m pretty diligent about cleaning up spills etc... and thought this strange, if this were normal then all washers would rust around the bleach dispenser right? It’s now October 2017 the rust is now causing the washer to crumble & now I noticed rust at the hinge only on the same side NOT the other side...not yet anyway.
I contacted LG a year ago and they told me it was a “cosmetic” issue not a health and safety issue and to fix it, it would cost me $245 .
The thing is, I’m not the only customer with this complaint, there are hundreds more, there’s even a Facebook page with this complaint! and still no action or customer care from LG!
So now I’m shopping for a new washer, and it’s not going to be an LG.

Rust around bleach dispenser

Jamila Smith Jun 29, 2020

I agree that you shouldn't have to make repairs and that LG should make good on this. However, since they aren't, it's easy enough to pop the top off, sand it down and apply rustoleum appliance paint on it. I'm planning to do that with mine before it gets as bad as yours and I will also disconnect the bleach dispenser pump and not use it at all.

• Un
    Uncle_Joe Jul 22, 2019

Mom just mentioned this on her LG top loader. Has LG provided a solution?

• Tp
    tpcbird Aug 13, 2018

Had cheap washers in the past that didn't rust after 15 years.

• Sh
    Shaun R. Oct 01, 2017

It's very unfortunate that you're having the problems you are. I'm in the industry and actually think LG has one of the best lines of washers in the market.

If you have someone handy around, you can sand all the rust down; use some Bondo putty to rebuild any areas. A little spray paint and you're like new.

• Tp
    tpcbird Aug 13, 2018

@Shaun R. Why should you have to make rust repairs on a 4 year old machine that costs over $1000?