Complaints & Reviews

bait and switch

Company uses bait and switch and media hype to lure in new users.Can't bill the VA properly.[min 6 credit hours for half time] Representatives use vulgar and demeaning commentary when they can't get thier way.

Tech support :-) Gott to love them. They have no working knowledge of computer networks, nor how they work.They can't diagnose/fix thier own systems and any comments to fix thier side of the mix gets you nowhere. They continually blame the consumers equipment, even when it is functioning PERFECTLY.

The problem is server side after the switch from comcast level 3 line to att/qwest VPN dsl [apparently, other colleges have a level 3 pipe...] connection.

The reps wont answer emails until you call them first and spend an hour on the phone with them.They swear they will bend over backwards to fix your isses that never get solved.Then they make slanderous commentary torwards you and hide behind 'professional ettiquet'. If I have to tell someone three times to get something done, I'm already walking to thier supervisor's office.

I asked, even demanded to disenroll and have yet to be dienrolled.This was a week ago.As it stands I am suing for slander, if not VA payments for this year plus other funding mistakes as well. If you are a tusdent I STRONGLY SUGGEST you find another university like ITT TEch or U of P or Capella to attend.

Anonymous Ramirez Jun 18, 2009

One writer suggested to attend ITT technical Institute. I suggest you guys stay away from that school as well. ITT Tech is just nationally accredited nor regionally accredited. Kaplan is regionally accredited. If universities will not take all of Kaplan's credits, guess what...they are not going to take ITT technical Institutes' credits at all. ITT Tech does not have university status.

• Je
    JessicaLb Jan 16, 2010

hey lets get together and fight this!

kaplanuniversityrippedmeoff.webs.com

Kaplan university ripped me off SPREAD IT!

Many people don't know they can do something about this!

anonymous student Dec 06, 2010

I am being sexually harrassed by my admissions advisor Roger Krane at Kaplan University in Florida. I want to report him, how can I go about to doing that? He calls me everyday, while he is high on crack, and tries to talk to me into having sex with him. He speaks very vulgar things including beastiality. I feel violated and scared that he will ruin my education because he is an advisor for the school. I don't know what to do. Can someone help me?

• Be
    bennyhill38 Mar 24, 2011

I am looking for a attorney or attorneys to file a suit against Kaplan university. I am a service connect disabled veteran who got ripped of by Kaplan. They charged me with Plagiarism even though I proved there was no plagiarism to force me to retake classes. Additionally they dismissed me from the school do to a policy issue but then get a email from FedLoans saying Kaplan said I withdrew from the school? Alot of my Student loan money is missing, and financial aide money even though the VA paid all the tuition? I need an attoeny asap! I tried to send emails to finish my last 3 classes and get no response from no one even the dean. Please someone can help a disabled veteran to find an attorney? Email me at bennyhill38 at yahoo dot com.

• Tr
    Truthhurtz88 Apr 13, 2011

I NEED HELP!!! How can kaplan be doing this to so many people.?!?!?!

I have been going back and forth with kaplan for the past 7 months. I am about to start my 4th year in my BS. They are telling me that I have used all my FA ($50450 and mind you the limit is at $57500) and that I will have to pay about $14000 out of my pocket for the final year plus $7000 for my next 3 terms of classes. I have called them every week for the past few months, and I get different answers. No one knows what they are doing. When I started reading other peoples complaints, I noticed they said something about the school is suppose to send us money directly. I never received any money from Kaplan. I have a 3.74 and mainted it through my entire 3 years here and now I cant finish because I cant afford it. They told me the reason for my having to pay such a large amount is a tution increase that occurred in my 2nd year, where the credit changed from 336 to 371. I dont know what to do but someone said to contact the Ombudsman, I hope this is a good start.

financial aid department

Kaplan University has the worst financial aid department I have ever encountered. I enrolled in February of...

dropped/unlawful charges

Kaplan is the biggest joke of a university!!! I did nothing but argue with them from day one of my 2yrs with them. They would not send me money left over each term, instead, they would keep it and say I had none left, which I did...The class content was always screwed up and I would write the Professor about mistakes I found and she in turn would turn the complaint in, of course, Kaplan knew it made them look bad when a student was always finding mistakes with the class and they weren't smart enough to figure them out in the beginning. I was locked out of my classes many times. This past March 2009, I was finished with my AAS in medical assisting and they told me I could not graduate because I had a fee I had to pay, which was false. They ended up dropping me from Kaplan, so guess what? I don't graduate and I am out $63, 000...But the joke is on them because I have hired a lawyer who is getting them on 6 different counts..We will win this because I have a the proof of moneys, student aid, etc...Kaplan will have to pay for my schooling and owe me 2.5million...

Lish Jun 04, 2009

Are you involved in any class-action regardign Kaplan? I am very interested in filing a suit against them along with joining a class action.

• Ak
    A Kaplan Mess Oct 12, 2009

Let me know if someone has one. I want to join as well. This is ridiculus.

• Ju
    JulieElena Mar 09, 2010

I'd like to join!!

• Ni
    niagomez24 Apr 06, 2010

I would like to join! I need to. They can't take $8000 from me + financial aid for 3 months of school!!

• Te
    TexasRose62 Oct 16, 2010

Hi to all of you. I too am a victim of Kaplan University scam. I've been going to Kaplan for the past three years and attending classes in the Legal field to become an attorney, I had so much trouble in the beginning with Kaplan not getting my fianancial aid and loans taken care of that I was on the phone with them everyday for three months threatening them with the United States Attorney General's Office here in Michigan. They finally took care of the money situation, but have since decided that they want to place me in classes that I didn't want to take. I called them and left many messages for my academic advisor in regards to this situation. Her name is Kayla McClain and she's the one who has dropped the ball with cancelling my classes and then I find out that I want to transfer elsewhere to receive to my law degree, as Kaplan is not associated with the American Bar Association. I had to pay for my transcripts to be sent to two different colleges and now am locked out of my classes that ended on the 5th of October 2010 in which I needed to make up some work and had persmission form my professors to do so. Kaplan said that once I decide to transfer out of Kaplan I'm blocked from the website entry. How do you like that????? If anyone else has had bad dealings with Kaplan in this regard please contact me via my e-mail adress: [email protected]

thanks alot and good luck with you lawsuit as well.

• Ti
    Ticked in Cincinnati Mar 05, 2012

I tried to take classes via the internet in June, 2007 and dropped out in July, 2007 due to their messed up system - would get the message "Assignments successfully submitted" but the get messages back from the "professors" stating that they never got them. The classes only lasted about 4 weeks. Since that time, my federal income tax refund has been taken from me - over $3, 000.00 due this school. I had sent several letters to the BBB in both CA & NY where the collection agency was, then later the attorney general's office in FL whom have said that they have received several complaints about his school and are "working on it" and "it could take several years". Hello, I've already dealt with this garbage for several years, time for the attorney general office to actually do something about it. We need to get a group together to really go after this school. Over $3, 000.00 taken from me without any proof of a grade or credit. WRONG!!!

drug use

my fiance goes to Kaplan University in north sacramento for nursing and all i see there is drug addicts and...

tryin to get me for money!!!

I had applied for college online classes through Kaplan University and was approved quickly!! After I got...

customer service

I am currently gainfully employed full-time making a decent salary with benefits and have a Bachelor's degree from an accredited state university. I curiously explored the option of several online education services thinking I might possibly further my existing education and 15 years of experience with additional certification. I contacted Kaplan along with a few other firms. I received a call today from a Kaplan representative stating they had been trying to reach me for some time. In reality, I believe they left one phone message and today's call just happened to be the second attempt they had made.

The female representative began to explain to me Kaplan's offerings. I had expressed interest in Medical Office Management courses. This representative had a very rude attitude. When trying to inform her of my interests and what type of program I felt would best serve my learning habits and schedules, she interrupted me more than once. I finally said that I was not intersted in speaking with Kaplan any further if this was the type of heavy-handed tactic they used with potential students. The representative then said I was, "clearly not Kaplan material." You think? I just laughed and hung up.

After doing further research on complaints against Kaplan, it is evident they have issues. I read more and more financial horror stories. With such poor solicitation representives, I can only imagine how they treat you once you actually sign on the dotted line. As previously mentioned, I have a Bachelor's degree from an accredited state university and more than enough experience to know that Kaplan would not be the route the go. Beware!

• Je
    jeanette fleming May 13, 2010

im mary fleming i want my student loan from kaplan university they will not send me my student loan and i cannot get in touch with them on the phone i have been calling for 3 days to the financial office and no one will answer they put you on hold and want come back to talk to you.

• Lu
    lucypatty May 26, 2010

jeanette join the party it sucks really scamming us using the government as a coat.

scaming students

The academic advisors and financial aid department are not helping the students. I made several attempts to reach both, during my two years and they never respond. Then they make you jump through hoops on a deadline date and tell you it must be done or you can not keep going. (I did recently acquire an advisor that did try to help, only to be shot down) They do not communicate with other departments, (academic advising, degree planning, etc...) the needed requirements in each program to ensure the students will graduates on time. They utilize natural disasters against the students to get more money out of them. They delay your graduation, they do not help the student comply with financial aid requirements to help the student succeed. Their mission statement is false advertisement.

I sincerely believe they do their best to prevent the student from completeing any program on time and will intentionally cost the student as much, out of pocket or more student loans, as possible. They dangle your degree in front of you keeping you throwing out more money to finish, but you won't get there until they are through milking everything out of the student mentally and financially or until the student gives up and has no degree and obligations to student loans.

• Mo
    mokshaw Jul 08, 2009

they lie to you in oreintation about helping students
    and tell they are so you can sign up with them then they blow you off
    dont try to make a reasonable effort to help you find a part time job
    and charge yo you a high monthly payment have some unqualifyed
    teachers

charging tuition without sudents knowledge

My name is Patricia Wilhite, I was a student at Kaplan University, taking Criminal Justice. I almost graduated until they locked me out of classes. I was not informed that I no longer had Financial Aid. Instead Kaplan ran a tab to the tune of $8904.00, locked me out of the classes they had charged me for during finals, which ruined my GPA of 3.67, and caused me to fail the classes.

I do not believe that this is just to any student. I see them advertise to students, my advise is seek another University. Thanks to Kaplan I cannot get a degree because they will not release my transcripts, they ruined my credit by putting this bill against my credit.

I cannot afford at this time to hire an attorney to have this straightened out, however, I am seeking help. I do not believe it is legal to run a tab so high that students cannot continue their education. Myself and an adviser tried repeatedly to contact Financial Aid to resolve this however, no one would return calls or emails.

Here is a letter that I sent to Kaplan: No one has responded, I am not surprised.
17826 Rabbit Farm Rd

c/o The Dean
888 7th Ave
New York, NY 10106

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing this letter as a complaint of how unprofessionally I feel the financial aid office and the advisors are at your University.

I enrolled in you University in the summer of 2006. I chose the School of Criminal Justice. The admissions department sold your school as being top rate. As I pursued my education in this field I found that there was never an adviser available to help. My adviser changed several times so I never knew who I was to talk to.

Each class that I took was scheduled and books were sent. I was under the impression that my pell grant and student loans covered my courses. I was NEVER informed that it was not.

Kaplan kept enrolling me into each class of my course study however, in the summer of 2008, while I was at the end of my classes (Crisis Intervention and Juvenile Justice) I was blocked from finishing the finals without any notice of what was taking place. I contacted the school immediately and spoke with Brian in the adviser area. He told me I needed to speak with a Ms. Shepherd in financial aid. After leaving many messages and not getting any response I contacted Brian again. He sent emails and tried on several different occasions to contact Ms. Shepherd in financial aid, he never received a response either. As a result I received a low and failing grade in each of those classes, and was not able to continue my education. This is all within months of receiving my degree. If you look at my grades you will see that I am an “A” and “B” student not a “D” and “F”.

After persistent tries I finally was able to talk to someone to find out what was going on. I was horrified to find out that I was cut from classes because of an $8, 904.00, tuition bill. I was never informed that my pell grant and student loans were not covering my classes. Due to the lack of professionalism with the financial aid and advisers, I have lost my chance at a higher education. There is no way that I can possibly pay that kind of money.

Thanks to Kaplan University, I will not be able to finish my long desired dream of having a higher education. I believe your school sets people up to take their money and puts them in financial and educational ruins. Your school has since turned this amount over to a collection company and is withholding my transcripts.

I will follow through to inform others who may be considering Kaplan as an educational facility of what they may be in for.

I was never given the chance to say I cannot afford this, or I cannot enroll in anymore classes until I find the means to pay for it. Your school took it upon themselves to keep enrolling me until the $$$$ was so high it became impossible to pay.

I would also like to have the last two classes that I took removed from the amount and the grades, since I was not given the chance to complete the classes because I was locked out.

I look forward to your response in this matter.

Sincerely,

Cc: Kaplan Headquarters

Katie Mar 25, 2009

Patricia,

I don't know if you just described YOUR situation with Kaplan University, or MINE.

My story is absolutely identical to yours. I had no problems with Kaplan until April 2008. Well, no problems except having 4 financial aid advisors. Now, yesterday, I receive a call from Student Accounts telling me that I am "severely past due" - when Kaplan just sent me a check for $1200. I'm thinking... if I owe you [the school] money, why are you sending me a check... When I had received it, I called financial aid, and they said that "everything is fine, that is left over money from your loans to cash"..

Suddenly now, I owe $6000+. Out of pocket. WHY do they keep registering you and allowing you to take classes when you obviously owe them money?

Seems like shady business practices to me.

My email address is [email protected] Please contact me. Maybe if all of us band together - maybe we can get a resolution, somehow, some way. This has to be illegal.

• Fr
    frazier15 Jun 14, 2009

Gz, I have went through the same as both of you!!! I have went there since 2006 and I have about 6 months left of bachelors and they did the same thing to me!!!

Maximo Dec 12, 2009

Its called personal responsibility. Because you never bothered to look at your bill or didn't have enough common sense to know that your aid wasn't going to cover your bill is NOT the schools problem.
    Grow up

• Tu
    tuckersmom Mar 25, 2010

Hi,
    I feel the same way as you do. Please contact me. It is not too late to do something about this. If you are interested in handling this matter legally please contact me at [email protected] or call me personally so I can give you all the information needed! 3373239098 (Any time is great)

Jessica

scam and cheating

My son had decided to attend Kaplan online and was applying for student aid, he is 19 and employed, he kept...

awful place

After enrolling in Kaplan for my BA in paralegal, I decided to look for them on the web to see if I could find out more about them and I found a lot of bad press. I then called my admissions rep Greg Rounds to voice my concern. He asked where I got my information from and I told him complaintsboard. He then went on to tell me how the people posting to complaintsboard where people who didn't do what they were supposed to do and that they were the ones at fault for their problems at Kaplan. It was as if he was reading from a script. I then said ok and told him that I would investigate the matter further. I found many more sites with the same 'shady' stories about Kaplan.

Yesterday I received an email telling me that my books were being shipped UPS. I then called and Greg Rounds and Lauren Eldridge were not taking calls. I was able to talk to a girl in financial aid. She said that she would make a note on my financial aid that I was not going to be attending and for me to just refuse the books. That would be fine except I am not home during the day because thats when I work and I live in a resort community and all UPS/FED-EX packages requiring signatures are taken to the hotel where they are signed for out of courtesy and packages can be picked up from there. I tried explaining this to the girl, but she acted like I was lying. Any ways I then emailed Greg Rounds and Lauren Eldridge trying to find out why I was being sent books. The only one who replied to my email was Lauren Eldridge and the email she sent back was a joke. It said: 'I assume you are still not planning on attending. Please reject this package when it arrives.Thanks'.

Ok, which part of I want to be un-enrolled wasn't clear. I am beginning to feel as if I signed a contract with the devil. These people are a joke and so is the school. I went to the hotel this morning and asked for them to reject any packages that come for me. I can only hope that my Kaplan experience will be over soon, but I have a feeling there will be more problems.

I would like to thank all of you that took the time to write about your own experience with Kaplan. This kept me from making the same mistake.

Patrick Feb 23, 2009

I then called back and spoke with Greg Rounds and explained to him that I had found many sites and law suits that involved Kaplan. I then asked him to unenroll me. He asked if I would send him an email stating that I no longer wished to be enrolled in Kaplan and he would take care of the rest. That was on Feb. 5, 2009. I thought it was over and I had gotten away from Kaplan with only losing the application fee of $45.00. Last week I received an email from a Lauren Eldridge about my classes. I forwarded the email that I sent to Greg Rounds about un-enrolling and asked that I be contacted if this had not been done.

lizm877 Feb 24, 2009

Hate that place I got ripped off too. I was wondering where you found the info on the lawsuits i'd like to find out if I can join in on one if you could email me where to look i'd appreciate it... [email protected] Thanks

• Ro
    Rosemary J Mar 01, 2009

Henry, This did not happen to me! The $45.00 I spent went toward my first tuition. I hate to say this but most of what I am reading here is pretty lame.
    Kaplan is a good place, even my books were included in the tuition, and it was not as expensive as where I went before.

So far, I am doing well with my classes and am able to get the help I need. My questions have been answered everytime that I have called my advisor.
    They are friendly and get the answers I ask for.
    THERE was NO application Fee! What are you talking about?/

And by the way, I have googled Kaplan, and haven't found any "shady" stories anywhere.

jayhawkiegrl Apr 08, 2009

Rosemary, you are just dumb. All you have to do is type in Kaplan University complaints and you get a buttload of information about complaints!!!

• Sh
    shi.shi May 11, 2009

yeah i would love too know also!

• Sh
    shi.shi May 11, 2009

haha.. Rosemary J.. ive never had a good experience with Kaplan, IVE NEVER LEARNED ANYTHING and when i had questions THEY NEVER HELPED! i don't know whose treating you nice at kaplan. but he person who was over me I NEVER HEARD FROM HER AGAIN..

i couldn't even CONTACT HER and when i did she NEVER ANSWERED THE PHONE..

so i called the school telling them to unroll me also and they told me to do something about my financial aid or something so i did.. later on they still told me they didn't received it im like i just did it days ago later on i get a 2, 000 bill.. they sent half to a lone an the other half they kelp so now they telling me i owe them 500 dollars and i owe the bank 2thousand..

they threaten me saying if i don't pay it then its going on my credit in 30days.. i didn't believe them and didn't care because i didn't have a job at the time they were just trying to get money/

i got a credit check every year and they are NOT on there.. im not paying them squat lol its been 3yrs and still they are calling on the low low acting like someone so i can answer there phone call. they might as well give up. I am now attending a REAL university that is in my city so yeah people should leave Kaplan, Phoenix, etc all those kind of schools alone there not good.. go to your own college in your state they even probably provide online school for you and my school does.

great education, terrible student accounts department

I started Kaplan's MBA program in August 2007. I was excited about the emphasis program I chose, it was unlike any other school's program. My admissions advisor was extremely attentive (but not pushy like some have said) and Kaplan was one of the recommended schools from my company who would be reimbursing me for much of the costs.

The curriculum itself I've found to be appropriately challenging. I feel I've learned a great deal through the course discussions. Most professors I've found to be fair, but I have had one or two that I feel were not appropriately administering Kaplan's policies. I don't feel any class has been a waste of time and have definitely picked up lots of good information that I apply daily in my job.

My major complaint, and its big enough I struggle with recommending Kaplan to friends, is dealing with different personnel from the school. My academic advisor is absent about 95% of the time. Ignorning phone calls and emails. Randomly she'll send a "good luck this term" email or leave a similar message. But she never responds to my requests to her.

Worse than that, is dealing with the Student Accounts department. My company is reimbursing me for most costs associated with my program. When I started at Kaplan I was told I could be billed per term, rather than by month - and that I could have my tuition deferred until the end of each term so that the time between making my payment and receiving the reimbursement from my company was very small. Well, my billing kept getting switched to monthly (against my request/wishes and without my knowledge) and the tuition deferment kept disappearing off my account. This leads to 2-6 calls a day from Kaplan with a recorded message about "fulfilling my educational committment". When I answer and "stay on the line" to speak to an agent I always get disconnected. When I try to CALL the student accounts numbers direct, I rarely get a live person. On the rare occasion I DO get a live person - the minute I explain that I need to be billed per term because it makes it easier for me to file my reimbursement request - I get transfered to someone in business affairs who never returns my call. So, I normally spend 2-3 weeks of every month sending repeated emails to student accounts to correct their weird billing errors. And to be clear - I'm not a deadbeat. I long gave up on the tuition deferment attempts. Within 1-2 days of each terms charges being applied to my account - I make the payment. However - those amounts differ from whatever imaginary payment plan student accounts has me on - so they continue to cite me as past due even though my account balance is $0 for all but about 2 days of every term. The only person who ever DOES respond to my calls and emails is the financial aid officer assigned to me - which I don't understand since I don't USE financial aid - who tells me she has tried to change my account to per term billing numerous times and someone in student accounts always changes it back. I'm currently in my second to last class and can't WAIT to finish just so I don't have to deal with these ridiculous billing problems any longer.

sassy Jun 08, 2009

Well I enrolled in Kaplan College I agree they have to worst customer serivce to business office would i guess handles the accounts tried to charges me the loan money that I sent back to Bank Of America. But they Financial Aid should be the one dealing with my money. They have an bad billing system.

academic advisor position

Be ware...if you get a call from Kaplan saying there Looking to hire academic advisors, training Starting...

fraud and scam

I was about to enroll @ this University because it sounded very interesting the way that they are conducting...

over charging

My daughter ashley quarles enrolled to kaplan in sept. We received our tax information where for the first time the amount of money paid out to them was over 6000 dollars. She has only completed two courses and is now on the 2nd. We had the school to send out a copy of her records. They were charging her 1600 per class. They said each class was 5credits. After checking with other schools we found out they were 1/2 credit each. To complete a two year degree in business
Mgnt. It was going to cost over$30, 000. Please tellus where to start for help. They have taken over 2, 000 in govt. Grants that we have not seen. Any advice would be helpful. Sheila hampton86. @yahoo.com

Kaplan Who Mar 11, 2009

Hi, I just had a really bad experience with FA myself. I contacted OMBUDSMAN with the Department of Education. I had Kaplan investigated and they found that Kaplan was at fault for something and they had to refund money back to my loan places and write off money they were trying to get me to pay them of over 8000.00 dollars. Start there and make sure you check were your money is going and how much tutition is.
    Tina

• Ak
    A Kaplan Mess Oct 12, 2009

This was very helpful. I have graduated and they are trying to get me to pay back money. I did not even know until I saw a collection on my credit report for Kaplan. They stated that they returned money from my Pell Grant. I received a check at the end of my last term and they want that money back stating it was to be applied to my tuition

• Gr
    Gregory Waters Jun 08, 2011

I have to same problem with Kaplan. I think we should sue them

inferior education I did all my friends homework.

My friend is doing her IT online Master degree program, at Kaplan Univeristy, and told her not to go there, as they did not require any testing, or GRE, nothing, except, her resume, which they didn't call on either.

However my friend write at the ability of no higher than 6th grader and it isn't even correct. I use to be a System Analyst, Computer programmer. She became defensive when I told her that going to Kaplan University is actually kind of a mark against you because it means that a she can't write her a Graduate school level, and in addition it is set up to where her entire grade depends on your just reading a couple chapters and then writing a report. Oh, I forgot so can't add so she can't apply to any other or REAL Master Degree Programs, basically she is an illiterate, that can't add and subtract, much less, do igher math to be a systems engineer.

She kept sending over her assignments, and I w0ould fix them edit, and basically do her homework. And she gets A's of course. And the things that I read that she got an A on she did herself wouldn't have passed 6th grade writing.

So, here my beef, with this school, no matter what she does, she gets an A, as she is paying CASH, she wasn't on any student loans as she doesn't need them. I think that it number one that they accept homework with proving that the person did it. I mostly want to warn anyone that takes anything at Kaplan University is the equalvancy of buying fake degree online for 19.99. Much $approximately $4, 000 a class.

First and sign of a bad school if the require standardized test scores. Means they aren't accredited accept to have an online shcool, doesn't you will learn anything and I people in the industry know Kaplan University is fake.

Oh, my friend got her degree at Phoenix, another place to get a degree if you are an illiterate and want to have other people do your homework.

We actually use to be friends for twenty years and she stood up for the Kaplan University, and then got mad because I would't do her homework. Oh the homework is so ill prepared and anyone with or without a brain can figure it out.

Point you get good grades if you pay cash and have some else do your home owrk.

Buyer Beware!

Kaplan GradStudent27 Jun 05, 2009

I would like to see you pass Kaplan with the grammar mistakes you made here.

• Ky
    kymo21 Feb 18, 2010

I agree with Kaplan grad... how did your friend even get A's if you were checking her papers?

KaplanGradDavid Aug 26, 2010

Proof read your own work before you decide to bash your "Friend." I say "Friend" because you also bash her like she's mentally ill or something. I have an associates degree in Web Development that I earned at Kaplan. Less than a month later I got a job for a web design firm in Chicago. The company I work for is PAYING for me to return to Kaplan and earn a bachelors degree. Sounds like you and/or your friend are just bitter because you got kicked out for poor grades!

• Ta
    Tahir Ahmad Jul 08, 2013

It is true that Kaplan gives MUCH higher grades (GPA) to students compare to any traditional or REAL universities. I have completed my B.S in nutrition science with 3.91, which no way i could be able to get this in other traditional universities like California state university. Currently, for me that degree paper is a piece of trash, which i cant use it in any way. As far as education level goes, Kaplan university is no way even near to graduate level. Their classes are not transferable to other REAL accredited colleges or universities where you can actually apply for a nutrition license in future. Their fees are also very high for the level of education they provide. It clearly shows a sign of business where profit is their main concern, not education. True education is only achieved through traditional way (face to face) and through non-profit colleges or universities. Best of luck for all of those who seek for real degrees.

unreturned phone calls from financial aide

My name is Tammy Johnson and I am so ticked off right now with Kaplan University online. I have been taking classes on line for the last year and after I starting class this last term, I tried to log in on the second day of class and could not. After trying a couple of times I called my advisor who didn't even know that I had been dropped from the school. My advisor then placed me on whole for a few minutes then came back and said that she was so sorry to inform me that I had been dropped because I was not academically where I need to be for the time that I had been in school. I immediately started trying to get enrolled at another school for this term which I have not had a problem doing, except for getting Kaplan to send back the money that they just got for this term. Now they have started to call me saying that I owe them (Kaplan) $2200.00 that was not payed for the last two terms but the while I was in school it just showed pending payment. I have been calling some guy named Ed Crayton for the past week he was suppose to be my financial aide officer, but I am still waiting and need less to say I probably will have to sit out this term, but I am going to file every kind of complaint that I can.
If anyone knows how I can get in contact with any of the people in financial aide would you please e-mail and let me know or even if someone from Kaplan is reading get in contact with me and I will stop filing complaints against the school.

• Un
    unbelievable Jan 16, 2009

it seems like you are just a pissed off person.. oh, did i spell that right??
    i think you are stupid for calling someone stupid.
    if you are not happy with your life, that is not someone else's fault but yours.
    BTW, how many languages do you speak? you must be super articulate.
    English is my 3rd language.
    get a life!

• Lo
    Lori Adkins Feb 05, 2009

I agree with Tammy, Kaplan as a whole is a cluster ###. Whoever comments about her being in the wrong is just hired by Kaplan to agree with them not the students whom are paying for their inflated salaries. I have been called a liar, by the Professors. Whenever I tried for a whole week in a unit to complete a teleconference worksheet, she said, "the conference worksheet was open to all students, the other students had no trouble completing it, therefore you should have had no problems" .

I applied for Pell Grants and Student Loans: The Pell Grant went through, but the FAFSA didn't they kept telling me I was missing Documents, whenever I would call my FA, she never answered calls or emails sent. Week after Week, I went through this. Whenever going onto my account and calling the Loan Company they both said I wasn't missing anything. Everything was determined by Kaplan.

During Unit 3 mishaps on grades and entering worksheet requirements, I quitt. My grades were very low by this time, due to the Professors imcompetence. The Professors and Instructors have complete control over all of the worksheets, conferences, discussions, etc. Believe me they certainly are getting inflated salaries also.

I have no faith in Kaplan, therefore I am so happy about terminating my college experience with them.
    I think it is rediculous that Kaplan now has a commercial now stating how they are accredited, and you do not have to stand in line, or work your schedule around a campus schedule. Bull Crap, the Prof. and Instr. tell you when you can piss, ###, anything.

I do not agree with anyone who takes the money and runs. They can kiss my ###.

paperchase Mar 02, 2009

Jason needs to learn how to spell "realise"!! dumb ###

• Ro
    roboboogietimetimetime May 12, 2009

Actually, there is a Tammie Johnson who is (or at least was) an employee of Kaplan, essentially in HR. Is there any chance this is the same person? That would be a great irony.

• Ei
    Eizabeth Apr 15, 2010

Tammy, i am sorry to hear that you and so many have had issues with Kaplan, I am finishing my first year ans have been pleased with the service I have gotten. Yes there have been some issues but I stayed on top of them; if no answer was recieved in the time I allowed. I checked out local colleges in my area, such as NC State, Campbell, Duke Univ. and Chapel Hill. They all run about the same in fee's. The one plus that Kapalan has is that they offer better programs, by skipping a lot of history and courses that are not needed. An online program was not 100% obtainable at any of these universities. As, I accepted the offer of Kaplan to go to school, I had a gentleman standing in front of me that works in admissions to one of these colleges and stated that Kaplan is in the top 5 in the nation and that if I was accepted that I would be better off taking their offer thna attending day and evening classes at there university; this sealed the envelope for me. I must say that I have been well pleased with Kaplan. Now, on the other hand, I will probably carry some of the loans to my grave.

Elizabeth in North Carolina

fraudulent billing practices

Please contact me regarding your experiences with this company. I am wondering how many of us have experienced the same fraudulent billing practices.

Thank you.

EVA

• Mo
    Momof3 Jan 21, 2009

EVA,

My daughter is encountering billing problems with Kaplan but how can we contact you? How can you help us? She was kicked off the online Kaplan campus (was not able to log in) because of her account. Kaplan system indicates that her account is in arrears which is completely untrue. She has a payment arrangement set up and the school has been debiting her bank account.

Patricia Wilhite Mar 14, 2009

I have had the same problem, the only problem is that no one will contact you. Here is a letter I sent however, no one will respond.

17826 Rabbit Farm Rd

c/o The Dean
    888 7th Ave
    New York, NY 10106

To Whom It May Concern:

I look forward to your response in this matter.

Sincerely,

Cc: Kaplan Headquarters

Lisa Ernst Sep 11, 2009

Hi Patricia
    Odd, I am experiencing the very same thing as I am three weeks away from graduation. I was never informed of any balance owed Kaplan as I have worked toward my degree either. It was not until I began discussing the possibility of continuing on in my educational pursuits that I was informed of a $4337.00 balance they claim that I owe them!

I have been passed along to several people in the Financial Aid office and in the Office of Returning Students. Each person I speak to gives a different account of what has happened, and gives a different account balance they allege I owe them.

In reading this board today, I have wished that I found it sooner. I may have reconsidered my educational pursuits to another institution completely. I have read countless stories similar to my own on this board. I am appalled that Kaplan continues to conduct this sort of scam over and over, as witnessed on this board.

I have started to do a little research on Kaplan as I've read there are many pending civil suits filed against them. I have been looking for information with regard to those suits as I'd like to be informed of how many people they have actually done this to.

I hope that your situation works out for the best for you as I know you've worked as hard as I have to achieve your goal. I am a single mother with two jobs and still found the time to pursue my education. I have worked very hard, and my children have sacrificed time with me, to get to this? A debt they say that I owe but know nothing about?

If you want my advice, a copy of everything you send to Kaplan should be sent to the US Dept. of Education.

misinformation, confusion, playing dumb, scam,

I was eager to attend school, and it has been 5 years since Ive been in that environment...So of course I had this social anxiety and didn't really wanna attend actual Classes. I wanted a degree in nutrition and wanted to do it online. I found Kaplan and filled out a form so they could call me.

George Adams, the admission advisor, was overwhelmingly nice and "supportive" but pressured me into starting straight away. I wanted to go, but only under two conditions: One, I could have a loan all to myself, and two: I would not have to pay anything until I graduated. I was very serrious about this. George assured me that I could absolutely do this. He told me that my dad would have to fill out a parent plus loan application because I was still considered a dependent. and After we did the fafsa fill out, It showed my dad made too much for me to get any grants or anything. George told me the Parent plus loan was only part of the process and that he would be denied, in which I would then be able to take out a Stafford Loan for myself to cover for the first academic Year. Dad filled it out and got accepted, which wasnt suppose to happen, so we cancelled the application and called Geroge. He said this was fine and not to worry at all. I started my classes, which by the way were wayyy too easy. It was one week away from the withdrawl date and I recieved an email that the parent plus loan was missing? and I made it clear that if this situation was not cleared up I would be withdrawing because I was not getting stuck with the payments. George wanted my dad to call bank of america. He told me dad would just have to sign "something" and that again, he would not have to take out any loans. Dad was sent back and forth between fin aid and bank of america and they didnt even have him do anything. George calls us up finally and tells us I dont have to withdrawl and everything is perfectly set and ready to go. I dont withdraw. I get a call a couple more weeks later from Student Accounts, asking me for 622.00 a month for my balance, because they gave me a loan for have my tuition and then charged me the rest. I was totally ###ted and all the staff act like they have no idea what is going on. Stdent accounts calls me EVERY DAY 2-3 TIMES A DAY DEMANDING MY MONEY. Fin Aid and Academic advisors act like they never know what I am talking about I have saved all my emails and cancelled my loan to bank of america. I asked for a compliant form over a month ago because they are trying to get me to take out additional loans when they know I have no co-signer, and they tell me that if i dont I have to pay them. They are ###s. They lie and act dumb and pretend you never siad anything. They will never recieve a dime from me and if they dont fix this ###, I will certainly take legal action against them. DO NOT GO HERE.

• Ta
    Tania Apr 20, 2009

Kaplan University online school have an really irresponsible staff when it comes to help students. I drop off school 2 month ago, they didn't told me about they were missing some files in their system. so, they weren't taking money out of my loan when i call my lender call me saying that my loan still open and there's no activity on the account. i call school and after i talk to them they said what kind of paper i was missing. Same day i fax the paper A COLLECTION COMPANY call me saying that Kaplan University hired them to get the money i own. i been calling since then and i haven't get hold of my fanacial officer i call a lawyer to see what happen?!!!

messed up

As an ex employee I am speaking of what I witnessed but turned my head the other way in disgust of how Kaplan University has complete staff of men and women whom sleeps with each other and play favoritism to one another in the workplace. Anyone that is not a virgin should know how sex smells, foul body odors and can determine when a person has just had sex and did not cleanse their body from seminal fluids and wash up. Throughout the day it is obvious when Team Leads (men) and female employees leave for lunch together and return an hour later looking suspicious and smelling suspicious like sex was just performed. The smell travels with them as they are coming back in the work area to resume their jobs and the air conditioner adds to the curiosity of questioning (what is that smell)? Not only is the body odor offensive a person cannot ask someone to go to the restroom and wash up their body parts smells. Also to speak about someone smells to a supervisor may also be look upon as defamatory and hardly would anyone report this to a supervisor.

Numerous sightings also has been viewed by me and ex colleagues I am aware witnessed this also themselves of employees (married men) and female employees (single with children at home) hugged up walking around the parking lot smoking cigarettes and or sitting in the parking lot eating lunch and then the car is jumping up and down and foggy. Security is in the parking lot and I am sure staff has viewed the sightings of employees having sex on the premises in their cars. But that is not their jobs they are there to protect employees and stop crime. I am sure if Kaplan spouses at home (wives) were aware of what was going on they definitely would be checking out their husbands movements at Kaplan throughout the day.

In addition, I am aware of an Adm Adv wrongfully fired by Kaplan after an incompetent financial aid representative did not document important details in the students file after interviewing her. The Adm Adv claimed the student file had no messages of student status to be approved for financial aid. The Adm Adv discovered the same day fired what happened in financial aid for more than a week which should have been a message to write off the student she was in default and needed a clearance letter after interviewing student. The student was not happy about being in default and told FA Rep she will call back when she get her clearance letter. However, the Adm Advisor called FA department and was unable to find out what happened to the student she was not transferred and there is no document in files. So the Adm Adv kept calling student because FA rep never sent her an email, nothing to what happened to the student, causing the Adm Adv not to make goal. Eventually the Adm Adv sent the student a closed file after the student stop contacting her. Guess what, Kaplan fired the Adm Advisor when the student called and reported she sent her emails and harass her by calling too much. They made the student feel like royalty and fired one of their best Advisor over a misunderstanding. First, the student cursed her Adm Adv and hung up telephone. Next the student emailed the Adm Adv and boasted of how she will get in the school through another advisor after she cursed her advisor and disrespected the advisor. The advisor requested an apology and said she will be sure the student doesn't get recommended and sent email to the student as well as explaining how the student is causing her to be placed in the boss office by wasting her time. Well, the Sr Director fired the Adm Adv, the same day the notes finally from FA dept was documented. The Advisor said she copied notes sent to student to prove she did not harass her. The boss claim the emails back to the student was not all company memos and fired the advisor for getting emotional with the student. Well it backfired on the boss because he strangely resigned the very next week or they fired him because he no longer works there. Wonder what happened? Sounds like karma. But today, I heard Kaplan is giving out checks to employees of supposedly violating the Labor laws, Wage and Salary and underpaid thousands of Advisors. So if anyone use to work for Kaplan, you should receive a letter about this, you could have a check in the mail because the current employees was told they were receiving Christmas bonuses. They do not know that is underpayments Kaplan handed them for working all that overtime on weekends. Also its a rumor that some Adm Adv are hired earning salary and some Advisors are hired earning hourly pay. Thats against the law and is another wage and salary discrepancy. That sound like favoritism to me and discrimination in salary I am sure which race those were getting salaries. Oh boy... I can't wait to hear what the results will be. I predict in my crystal ball Kaplan will be singing the song written by Mary J Blige very soon, 'I'm going down... I am going down... because my students are not around... Baby... My whole world s upside... down... I am going down... I am going down... my whole worlds upside... down... I will be so happy when that day come because nasty evil mean wicked and disgusting people deserve to go down. They not only have themselves in class action lawsuits but doesn't fire hoochie mamas (ie. weave, bleached and punk hair styles, gothic, false eyelashes, tight clothing, cleavage, mini skirts, street attitude) for having sex with married men (team leads) in the parking lots. Kaplan does not like employees who are intelligent and challenge them, theirs a rumor Kaplan will fire you for attending a college different than their school. The employees work there that are too imperial or conservative gets fired for the least things they do. Its Florida law, employers can fire you for anything including your race, but who could prove it. Thats messed up.

KaplanSlave Jan 11, 2009

It is unfortunate that I have to agree with the writers comment; but it's true. I'm not a disgruntled ex-employee; but a fearful one who still works there and fears for my job daily. In my entire career, this is by far the worst employer that I've every worked for; but with our economy being as such, what am I to do?

This corporation has absolutely no loyalty to their employees; we're treated like slaves. There’s no such thing as equal employment, there's a lot of discrimination, if you look the wrong way you’re fired; and open door policy doesn’t exist, because no one wants to talk to you. Their goal is to fire the employees for stuff that is so frivolous but will disable the employee from drawing unemployment. If you're able to earn a pay increase, soon after obtaining it; you will loose it or be fired; because it’s too much overhead.

Per the Department of Education, we're not supposed to sell education, but Kaplan will fire you if you don't. Only those who are lucky to get an enrollment after they have changed the lead policy over and over again with the intent of totally interfering with your compensation plan, are fortunate to obtain the tools needed to do the job, like viable leads. God help you if you have a bad week, because you're setup for failure; forced to work harassed leads until someone enrolls, or threatens your job for harassment and you’re put on paper work by the end of the week; which enters you into the never ending revolving door.

My point, you have a lot of stressed out admissions employees who are pushed beyond their limits, not knowing when they will be walked out; forced to enroll all kinds of students just to stay a float. Now your prospective students are tested before entering and should they flunk the entrance assessment and can't enroll, the advisor is still held to a sells matrix that goes against the advisor, who constantly fears the lost of their job; while doing the job of other departments. Please don’t let your prospective student have a financial aid or academic question; they will get lost in the shuffle and the question will never get answered; as they are always referred back to the admissions advisors, who will loose their jobs for answering the questions.

There are so many advisors out on personal FMLA; you would think that the people who process short term disability would have received a red flag by now. No one should have to work in an environment that is hostile and intimidating. Micro management is one thing, but Kaplan has far exceeded that area; and is simply bullying their advisors.

This is an American version of a Sweat Shop and needs to be investigated.

• this one is just funny...

I couldn't tell if there was a complaint or sexual frustration that you didn't get any parking lot loving for yourself.

I am moved to transfer to a different school. Can i get the name of the organization where no one has affairs at work? This is important to me because I know that never happens at work anywhere else in Corporate America.

• Le
    Legal WOES to come Aug 27, 2012

Kaplan recently had a lay-off, which they failed to report to the state of Florida. I wonder if it had to do with the pregnant women they laid-off in June 2012. In the Orlando site, it was told to us that it was because of their performance but most of the pregnant women that were laid off made expectations and never received verbal or written communication about any "bad performance." Most were four months or more into their pregnancy. One women was just a week away from having the baby. The person that made that decision in upper management will certainly have legal woes to face, I hope!

scam, fraud, extortion

I started in the Legal Studies program and have completed a years worth of classes all paid for via VA Vocational Rehab. For the entire year I've had one problem after another. Here is a brief accounting: Accused of plagiarism for using quotes out of a US Supreme Court Document to enhance my arguement on a very old court case- US Supreme Court Docs are public and can be used as long as they are cited and I have the paper to prove they are cited. When I asked for the instructors vitae (resume) and all info regarding his license to practice law I was quickly moved to another class with a different instructor- but wasn't expelled for plagiarism. My point here is that I didn't commit plagiarism...and Kaplan knows this but if Kaplan can fail you in a class they can have you pay to retake it again. I was blocked from classes because they said I failed to submit a FAFSA. First that is voluntary and I didn't need it because my education was already paid for. They did indeed block me and of course the financial aid dept. does not return emails or phone calls. When my VA Voc Rehab counselor got thru they back tracked and told him I was 12 thousand dollars in the arrears on tuition which was absolutely not true because he had an accounting of all the money paid to date. They finally relented when he presented proof of monies sent. Guess Kaplan didn't want to screw with the govt to badly. Finally, I had an instructor give me a D in class for a paper because he said I didn't follow the rules. When I submitted to him the Rules as per the instructions on the classes home page...he back tracked and said he'd sent out "different' rules. Again this is a simple scam- anything lower than a D and you have to retake the class as it doesn't transfer for the degree. Since the VA is paying my way they felt they had an open check book. I've withdrawn and oh boy am I waiting for the war. Per their policy I notified the Academic Advisor and in this case I went right to the top- he never responded until I copied him in on the complaints I sent to the Attorney General's offices in three states, Senators in four states, OIG, Dept. of Education, and Federal Financial Aid Dept. I also inlisted the VA to help fight as my goal is to obtain all the money back that was spent on Kaplan as it was fraudulently extorted. Kaplan will demand payment as they refused to acknowledge my withdraw- I refuse to pay them for anymore classes. Please to all of you that read this don't go unless you are a glutton for punishment; for all of you that have had problems...please write all the agencies I named above and the Senators in each state Kaplan has an office/campus plus your home Senator. Also complain to the Dept. of Education. Kaplan is needlessly ripping people off as well as our Federal Govt. I think the IRS needs to audit this company!

• Ly
    Lynn Jun 06, 2009

They are an illegal operation and should be closed downwith every student refunded his/her money. ASAP.