Jet Airwaysticket auto cancellation

Booked 2-way ticket from Singapore to Chennai (Date of Booking 25th May). And Travel date was 14-Oct (Sin to Chennai) & 23-Oct (Chennai to Sin). for some reason, I did not travel on 14-Oct and took a different flight for Singapore to Chennai. But when I Departure from Chennai on 23rd, I was told to go to Jet Airways Office in the Ticket counter as my Ticket was Cancelled. I walked all way from International Airport to Domestic airport where the Jet airways office is located. When I approach the officer, she told since I didn't travel on 14-Oct (Sin to Chennai), my return ticket cancelled by them. Not sure if this kind of rule is there. And there is no intimation to me thru email or Phone. The lady was very rude and told it is my duty to check with them. what bothers if I m not travelling in one end and why other return to be cancelled without informing passenger. what they will do if I traveled from Singapore to Chennai but not traveled on Return. I was really disappointed that such a reputed airways behaves like this.