Having problems with HomeAway?

HomeAway reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Oct 15, 2008. The latest review Refund not received! was posted on Sep 22, 2020. The latest complaint delay of getting refund about a cancelled reservation by agent / rental of a condo was resolved on Sep 18, 2017. HomeAway has an average consumer rating of 1 stars from 252 reviews. HomeAway has resolved 9 complaints.

HomeAway Customer Service Contacts

1800 662 594 (Australia)
+1 877 228 3145 (USA & Canada)
+44 208 827 1971 (United Kingdom)
+64 98 011 377 (New Zealand)
+43 720 884 188 (Austria)
+45 89 882 613 (Denmark & Norway)
+31 202 629 300 (Netherlands)
+351 308 801 569 (Portugal)
1011 W. Fifth Street, № 300
Austin, Texas
Please note that HomeAway was acquired by Expedia Group in 2015, and in 2020 HomeAway and VRBO were rebranded as Vrbo

HomeAway Complaints & Reviews

HomeAway.com — fraud and scam

I tried to rent several large properties through home away. After sending an email to a few "owners" I...

Home Awaybad rental experiance

We rented a condo on VRBO - Home Away and had a horrible experience. It was listed as a luxery condo for $3000.00 a month.
We rented for the month of Feb 2013. We arrived to find it filthy and the property mngr. had no clue and accused us of creating problems. The furnishings were cheap and in bad shape the master bed was a futon mattress on a slat frame from Ikea. One of the other beds was also but on a broken frame the owners refused to replace. It was a nightmare. It is relisted as Ahwatukee, Arizona Vacation Rental by Owner Listing 321138ha on Home Away. Stay Away is our recommendation. I posted a few of the pictures we took while there. The soiled sheets we found in a drawer in the bedroom, full of mold ! The shower was dirty as was the bath in the other room. The walls throughout were filthy. The list is long and endless !

bad rental experiance

HomeAway.comwhat a poor experience from home away and vrbo

What a total rip off. Their policy is for customer to pay in full and Home Away will get to your ad when we feel like it. I paid for a platinum membership on Jan 1st with the understanding that my ad would not be posted until I had all the information in the ad. I had info in by Jan. 2nd...and called Home Away/VRBO and asked them when the ad would be posted. She said in a few days. On the evening of Jan. 8th I called Home Away/VRBO back and spoke with John G. (they wont give out their full name). I had given him my name and property owner # and he confirmed the account. John G. said I didn't have my rates in...so I signed in and saw that I did indeed have the rates entered into the website. He said oh!...I thought you were someone else! Did he even bother to look at my account?? Ok..so John G. said he would send a note to production. When I asked when the ad would be posted, he said 3-5 business days. Ridiculous!...its already been 3-4 days past their promised posting date. Meanwhile I'm paying top dollar for the ad and he can't expedite it any more than that...nor will they offer any refund for the week that they wasted! I asked to speak with someone in management and he said he could have someone call me back in 24-48 hours. Wow...more incredibly poor customer service. I had no other option but to ask for a refund and cancel my account. We'll see how long that takes if I in fact ever get the refund. What a poor experience from Home Away and VRBO!!

HomeAway.comhomeaway.com vacationrentals.com vrbo.com don't post negative reviews, completely shield property owners which is their revenue source

After filing a complaint with Homeaway which didn't produce any results I tried to post a negative review about a property owner, Irina Velichko, who took advantage of me during the hurricane Sandy in NYC. Very aggressive and unethical person. Homeaway made me edit it at least 3 or 4 times after agreeing to post it. But my review never showed up as the listing 66945 on vacationrentals.com became expired. When I tried to post a review for another listing by the same owner which markets the same apartments Homeaway refused to allow it. Now the apartment where I stayed reappeared via another listing that doesn't allow reviews, www.homeaway.ca/cottage-rental/p445073vb. So, the owner is still renting and I'm still waiting to get my $500 back as Homeaway is only there to protect the owner.

This property owner has tons of only 5-star reviews which, after a closer look, seem a bit suspicious. Some other listings are: 418780 on Homeaway.com, 135411, 234041, 355219 and 423346 on vrbo.com. Her business site is www.aurenyinc.com.

HomeAway.comthere is no customer service

I was going to write that the customer service couldn't get worse, then decided that was misleading. There is no customer service. We have been members for 4 years, gold level (they just increased the cost from $700 to $750 for guaranteed placement) for 3- long enough to know without a doubt that they make many, many mistakes (at the owner's expense) and couldn't care less. For instance (and I could provide many other "instances"): I found my house listed on page 5 after doing a search using the parameters our house falls under. I called and asked why we were bumped from page 1. She said "up your subscription level".
        I said "We're gold. these are all platinum above us? In our small town?"
        "No. its a seniority issue."
        "We've been here longer than almost all of these other listings."
        "You don't have enough reviews."
        "We have more than almost all of these listings."
        "You dont have enough pictures"
        "We have as many as you allow... are you even looking at our account??? We are listed after basic level, brand new, non-reviewed houses with just a few pictures THAT DON"T EVEN FIT THE SEARCH CRITERIA!"
        "Yes maam."
        "Then why dont your responses make sense? Let me talk to a manager."
        "Theres no one here like that. I'm sorry maam, I've done all i could."
        That's HomeAway for ya!

HomeAway.comif you do use them and something does go wrong, good luck

We used Home Away for the first time last month so my family, parents, and brother could all stay together the weekend of my brother's wedding. The condo we reserved was fine and well supplied until we discovered one night that a corner had 20+ insect eggs burrowed in and insect larvae burrowing out of the carpet (we have a video if anyone is up to see at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtMDuZKoQmA&feature=channel&list=UL). We let the owner know immediately, but as it was over the weekend, she couldn't do much, which was understandable.

We wrote a very professional and polite letter requesting a partial refund from the owner, as we felt we would request the same if we were staying in a hotel. Having been landlords in the past, we felt that if we were in the owner's shoes, we would be horrified for the tenant. We told her it was our hope to resolve things amicably and to be able to leave positive feedback for her.

The owner refused and told Home Away we coerced her into giving us money for a good review, and Home Away agreed and told us we were ineligible to leave a review of her property. I endured a lecture from a CSR who insisted on addressing me as "Customer" rather than my name on how reviews are an avenue to benefit future travelers (considering that my review was in regards to a possible health risk, I found that highly ironic), not to extract demands from homeowners.

I asked to speak with a manager. A man named Jason claiming to be senior personnel called us, read my original email to the owner himself, and AGREED WITH US that we did not coerce the owner into anything, but claimed he was unable to do anything, and this is a closed matter.

So, if you use their service and nothing goes wrong, great. But if you do use them and something does go wrong, good luck - these reviews here and their online record with the BBB attest to that. I just can't believe that in light of both of those, they appear to be not even care about cleaning up their corporate image.

Their email signature: "Thank you for using HomeAway— the world's most trusted online vacation rental marketplace." What a crock.

HomeAway.comI lost over $3,000 for rental

I have used VRBO mainly in the past and have had wonderful vacations. Recently I used HomeAway??? The owner received my money and then the manager of property notified me the day before I was to arrive that the owner had booked over me with a personal business acquaintance? I have been in email conversations with property managers and so called other business accosiates of the owner and expected full reimbursements as promised...to then receive a check for an outlandish amount and told to cash it, deduct what I am owed and then return the remaining money to ? YES!!! I was scammed big time. The owner has a very impressive FB profile. Have yet to Hear anything from him after sending personal messages. All phone #'s do not connect. Everything before hand checked out as legit...but it wasn't!! These people whoever they are...are good at what they do to string you along. I lost over $3, 000 for rental...but to have cashed that check would have ended up costing me over $8, 000. more. I've just recently contacted HomeAway...I have not heard back from them...but the property is no longer on there site. Renters beware!!!

HomeAway.comthe customer service is basically worthless

The customer service is basically worthless. I have had multiple problems with guests writing reviews and they don't get published. My guests are getting very upset because they often submit 2 or 3 times and weeks later the review still is not posted. Reviews used to be posted in 2-4 days. now I have had reviews 'sit in the pile' to be pushed through for 2+ weeks. When you call they basically do very little and say they will 'try ' to get the review posted but it still takes several days. Although they are usually pleasant, I am getting tired of having to call repeatedly just to get a review posted..

And if you want to talk to a supervisor, forget it. They tell you that they will 'start a case' for you but it is often days before a supervisor calls you back. I have never dealt w/ a company where a super is not on staff during regular work hours to assist w/ escalated matters.

• Su
                  Susanne R Mar 22, 2016

This company is EVIL! I will not do business with them again. They started charging renters a bogus (no value added) "service fee." It is insulting that they think they can get away with bilking people out of their hard earned cash just because they are the biggest site out there. It is only a matter of time before HomeAway goes away. Bye, bye HomeAway.

• Je
                  Jennifer lyons Oct 17, 2012

She ripped my mom off. She also has a dance studio in Warwick. Jennifer Lyons. If you see the name run! She rebooked and kept double for that month.

• Je
                  Jennifer lyons Oct 17, 2012

Try posting against bad stays! Got ripped off and can't warn others. Just stay away from Jennifer Lyons property. Double books and no refund. Try that one.

HomeAway.comrude costumer service, can not sign, lies all the time, refuses to up load my home's video

They have been saying that they are up grading their site, when I complained over a 6 month time after I signed up for a year, they stated: "we do NOT guarantee service at all times". They have been giving me a run around for 6 months about their glitch in their system that does NOT allow the owners to log in, and in a rare instance if you are allowed to log in then it takes for ever to go from one page to the next hence they win the award for having the slowest service. I video taped my back yard because I have incredible views of the nature & the large back yard which is my biggest selling point, but they prohibited my video on Homeaway.com but allowed it on VBRO.com. A manager called me finally after 3 days and basically said the same thing as the above complaint and said that my video should have something to do with my property, I told her it was from MY back yard and if she was worried then go remove all the beach/ocean pictures on their site since NO one owns that but she got even ruder and advise me to call their legal dept. when I mentioned I would call the better business bureau and sue them. Had they told me about their horrible service I would have NEVER ever gave them a dime to advertise my home. They SUCK, do NOT prescribe to their services. They are hungry for money only, will push your listing up ONLY if you pay way higher price and once the sale is done you will NEVER hear back from them again! This is my opinion with this horrible site, use your own caution, better yet go to some other site!

HomeAway.comI would avoid this company

I have used this website in the past to find lodging. I will rethink that action as after staying at a very mismanaged property/mold, etc... I tried to write in a negative review. The owner disputed this review. After several phone calls and an email requesting 3 or more types of documentation - rental agreement, picture inside the property, receipt, etc.. (1 of which should be more than sufficient). I found that the "customer service" at this company is almost completely totally lacking, in specific Ron was unhelpful and rude on call. I would avoid this company and try for other companies that are showing up trying to do this process right. Beware Homeaway, VRBO, and vacation rentals.com are all the same company.

HomeAway.comhomeaway is a scam for the home owner

Homeaway is a scam for the home owner. They have an auto renewal policy once you sign up. I realized when I saw my credit card statement, tried canceling, even asking for it to be pro rated, and was denied by their "review board". I was told you can turn off the auto renewal under account settings, but there was nothing to turn off. Once they get you in, they count on you being oblivious to the auto renewal charges. During the last year and one half, all of our renters have come fom VRBO. Not a single one fom Homeaway. Certainly not worth the $329.

HomeAway Condo rental in Gulf Shores, AL — they refuse to reimburse my money

I rented a condo in Gulf Shores, Al from this website. I reserved in back in early March, the reservation wa...

HomeAway.comI had a terrible experience with homeaway.com and would advise against using their service

I had a terrible experience with HOMEAWAY.COM and would advise against using their service. They are quick to collect their payment but took 3 months to actively post my photos on the listing. $400+ later, I received only 7 inquires in the entire 12 months and numerous times tried to speak w a supervisor . Each time I was told that I would be called back that day. On only two of those times a supervisor called me back but it was several days later and I was never given a direct phone number having to initialize the original call spending multiple hours of my time hanging on the phone. I absolutely hate this company. I don’t even hate a fly, but I do Hate Hate Hate homeaway.com . I would recommend saving your money and listing it yourself as we did way better. Or call a local property management firm and let them deal w the hassles. Avoid at all costs homeaway.com.

HomeAway.comhorrible customer service

I had a terrible experience with HOMEAWAY.COM and would advise against using their service. They are quick to collect their payment but took 3 months to actively post my photos on the listing. $400+ later, I received only 7 inquires in the entire 12 months and numerous times tried to speak w a supervisor . Each time I was told that I would be called back that day. On only two of those times a supervisor called me back but it was several days later and I was never given a direct phone number having to initialize the original call spending multiple hours of my time hanging on the phone. The worse supervisor that I spoke with was a guy named Michael who simply justified their position. I absolutely hate this company. I don’t even hate a fly, but I do Hate Hate Hate homeaway.com . I would recommend saving your money and listing it yourself as we did way better. Or call a local property management firm and let them deal w the hassles. Avoid at all costs homeaway.com .

HomeAway.comthe site is constantly down, does not work 100% properly for listing owners

This website SUCKS for listing owners!!!Also it seems to be a good tool for to get direct access to owners renting their properties, the customer service is HORREND for owners listing on this website. The site is constantly down, does not work 100% properly for listing owners, has many glitchas - and technical support/ customer service NON-existent. The only thing excistent is their steep annual rate hikes by up to 300% after they purchased all other rental listing companis in thsi market ;-(

HomeAway.comrude patronizing staff on calls and very unhelpful

Rude patronizing staff on calls and very unhelpful. Discovered even though the marketing material on site and in emails is "customer service" heavy there is actually no customer service...the agent tole me that they are just an advertising site with no contorl or service level agreements with owners - BE VERY CAREFUL

HomeAway.comthey refuse to reimburse the supposedly small percentage of people who have been victimized

Similar to some others on this site, we were scammed and Homeaway refuses to accept any liability. My sister-in-law booked what we thought was a great long weekend. Nearly a month later, Homeaway sent a "sympathetic" email about how the home owner's email had been hacked, but how they are not responsible. My sister-in-law checked with the owner and sure enough they had no idea who she was (i.e. our money is gone and we have no place to stay).

Based on the info we've since dug up, this has been a problem for a couple of years, but other than a few "look out for phishing" notices on their site, they won't do anything about it. When my sister-in-law emailed the homeowners to reserve our spot, she had no reason to think the people who responded were scammers. This wasn't one of those Nigerian prince deals. This was a seemingly legitimate transaction. Homeaway is a big company with a ton of money, but they refuse to reimburse the supposedly small percentage of people who have been victimized. Nice customer service, Homeaway. Real nice.

Homeawayfraud

I have made several calls to Homeaway regarding fraudulent activity on one of our listings and they have failed to respond. Whenever I call, they say that the person from the "security" department is unavailable and that they will call me back. This has yet to happen. Homeaway is providing its property owners an unsafe place to do business yet they charge the owners to list the property with them. We are now victims of a scam done on the Homeaway site and we have not been able to get any help from these people at all.

HomeAway.comdishonest practices

Homeaway's business contract states that a listing can be cancelled by phone.
                                  Called last year to cancel my listing with Homeaway as I had sold the business. Was told that there were no refunds for the six months remaining for which I had paid. I accepted that as their policy.
                                  Six months later they charged my credit card again, for over $300. I called and reminded them that I had cancelled six months earlier. They claimed that they had not received my call.
                                  They kept saying that I would have been notified by email. I had sold the emails with the company, as they were legally the new owners, along with the website that went with the company... [protected]@... and [protected]@...
                                  I told them I had sold the business six months before and had nothing to be advertising. They refused to refund my money even though the advertising was for the following year on a business I no longer owned and for which I had cancelled the listing.

HomeAway.comabetting vacation rental internet scam

I booked HomeAway.com listing #363323 " Jungle & Beach Estate" by KRIS GREVEN & partner SHAW WEN thru Homeaway.com website which banner itself as the "world's most trusted vacation rental website". Very far from reality. I paid deposit of the rental - 50% of $3, 050 - the deposit amount I found to be very unfair and unreasonable to renters but then the website doesn't police this as well. About 2 months after making the deposit here comes the advise that the property was taken back by the owners DICKSON GIL and ERICA GIL without regard to renters who paid deposits already. Evil modus operandi.. a) lease the property... b) collect deposits.. c) make it appear there is problem with the lease... e) blame the partner and owners (who for all we know may belong to scam ring as well) and run with the money. Great... just great... I wish there is justice somewhere.

• Ca
                                        CarpeDiem8932 Oct 22, 2011

PLEASE READ : REBUTTAL BY PROPERTY OWNERS:

My husband and I are the actual property owners of the home in question. I was alerted by a vacation renter that there were several nasty posts about us and our home on the web. I looked online I found many posts - all written by the same disgruntled person.

My husband and I and our home have been the focus of these posts, recorded on various complaint boards by a Ms. Kris Greven AKA Krista Friedman. She has posted these in an attempt to slander us, cause as much damage as possible and to ruin our online reputation for a vacation rental home which we operate. Some of these posts were made by Ms. Greven acting as herself, some were made by Ms. Greven pretending to be various persons posting complaints. All of the allegations made by Ms. Greven are false and have absolutely no merit. She has posted false allegations for the pure purpose of spite and anger. I am reposting this identical rebuttal on each and every untrue complaint I find so as to shed light on the truth about the person who wrote the complaints. It had been my desire to move forward and not to be forced into putting any more energy into this bad situation. But if the poster of these untruths persists, than so must I.

I wish to respond to the allegations made by Ms. Greven so that persons considering renting our vacation rental property will have a clearer picture of how we became the focus of Ms. Greven’s angry attacks. If you read through these allegations carefully, you will see a glimpse into to person who wrote them; unstable and out for revenge for wrongs that she feels were done to her. Please take note of the time that most of these posts were written; most composed in the middle of the night. It will give you insight into Ms. Greven’s history and the source of much of her wild instability.

Ms. Greven has a long term history of being implicated in vacation rental fraud. Long before she became involved with us and our property in February of 2011. This can be researched by simply putting her name (s) into Google. I provide this information in hopes that anyone who is considering a vacation rental with us will read this and do some additional research.

I also will provide my contact information at the end of this rebuttal. We have nothing to hide and would be very happy to personally answer any questions. More importantly, we can and will provide references of guests who stayed with us, many of whom were defrauded by Ms. Greven. We aided them and did what we could to help as many as we could. I cannot describe here the complexity of the situation but here is a brief a summary as I can provide.

THE HISTORY:

My husband and I decided to lease our Las Vegas home in February on 2011. We ran an add in Craig’s List and were approached by Ms. Greven about running a vacation rental from our home. She stated that she was a property manager for an investor who wanted to lease our home for that purpose. We ended up leasing our home on a 6 month lease with an option to renew. The lease was legally assumed by this investor who’s name I will not give. NO WHERE on ANY document was any reference to Kris Greven as being a partner or party of the lease. The legal lease holder, had brought Ms. Greven on board as a property manager. Although Ms. Greven always professed to us to be his silent “partner”, her name was never on any paperwork nor did the legal lease holder indicate to us that she was anything other than a vacation rental manager.

Ms. Greven ran the property for the investor who we only met the day he viewed the house, the day he signed the lease and finally on the day he signed the early termination of that lease. We did not ask any questions. The rent was paid on time and the legal lease holder upheld his end of the arrangements.

Three months into the lease the legal lease holder came to find out that Ms. Greven was allegedly siphoning vacation rental profits into her own bank account. My husband and I did not become aware of the situation until the lease holder approached us and asked for a early termination of the lease and explained what had happened. He had been financially “wiped out” by Ms. Greven and said he had no means by which to pay us our rents.

Upon hearing the lease holders story we began some research of our own. Things began to come to light about Ms. Greven’s shady past; not limited to using the our home as a venue for “massage parties” (which we discovered and stopped), de-frauding vacation rental guests out of security deposits, taking deposits for vacation rentals far beyond the date of the end of the lease and depositing these deposits into her personal account (which was later seized and closed by the bank for fraud) and keeping those deposits. She was using OUR HOME to commit these acts.

Within the same week, we were approached by someone who had been allegedly defrauded by Ms. Greven. This person provided proof to us of an extensive arrest record of Ms. Greven for fraud and methamphetamine use. We confirmed these arrests as true as proven by public record. In addition we did our own research on the web with her aliases and discovered a past littered with vacation rental fraud.

We ultimately filed a restraining order against Ms. Greven and she was banned from the property. The lease with the legal lease holder was legally terminated and we faithfully and legally followed through with every detail of that lease termination, including refunds of all deposits to vacation renters who had contracts with the legal lease holder as well as housing vacation renters that held legal contracts with the legal lease holder who wished to continue with their contracts. We also signed contracts for the legal allocation of all assets left in the home.

Sadly, Ms. Greven had defrauded many people using her own name and bank account. Most of those people were contacted and lost their deposits. As Ms. Greven had no legal rights to the property and appeared on no lease, she also had no right to act as the lessor and absorb deposits from clients. ESPECIALLY as far a 6 months PAST the termination date of the original lease. Those monies were kept by her and no one has been refunded that she defrauded to this day. We ultimately worked with the bank to have the account she was using to defraud people closed and redirected people to a place where they could file a criminal complaint against her. We have spoken with the police in regards to these matters and they are also very well aware of Ms. Greven’s checkered past.

In short, we, along with many unwary vacation renters are victims of Ms. Greven’s path of destruction. We have no criminal history. We own the home and that fact can be checked on any real estate information site. We are good standing members of our community. Please, don’t take our word for it. Research it yourself.

A good start to run some research on Ms. Greven is the following link will direct you to a “Complaint Forum” post that will shed a bit of light about Ms. Greven AKA Krista Friedman. There are many more where that came from.

Kris Greven AKA Krista Friedman — Scam

In conclusion; after the termination of the lease, we (the legal owners), continued to run the home as a vacation rental to honor the legal contracts held by the legal lease holder. As part of our attorney devised lease termination contract, we finished up the contracts that had been in his name. Sadly, there were MANY that came forth that had unwittingly deposited monies into Ms. Greven’s account. We were able to accommodate some of them as well, but most were directed to the District Attorney’s Offices to file suit.

My husband and I ultimately decided to continue to run the home as a vacation rental for ourselves. It was easy for us to oversee and it made financial sense for us to do so. If you are considering renting our home but have Googled either our names or the property address and are fearful of renting, we understand. As I stated, we have nothing to hide and will gladly answer questions, provide references and talk with you about any concerns you have. It was Ms. Greven’s intention to dissuade you from wanting to rent from us with the post that proceeds my rebuttal. She is angry and this is how she feels she can best hurt us for putting a stop to her fraudulent rampage. I won’t post my phone number here. Please email me and I will promptly then provide you with any info you require and my contact phone number so I can personally answer your concerns. Thank you for taking the time to read this. I look forward to talking to you.

My email is as follows: [email protected]