Home Depotwater heater

I’ve ordered Home Depot Installation of a GE 40 gallon 12 Yr warranted Water Heater to be installed. Because I wanted to use my Home Depot card and it was an emergency I went with Home Depot. I paid 887.00 total. $300 for install and $587 for water heater. It became a nightmare. I was sent to 3 different stores after being charge and refunded 3 times. I needed a water heater!! The store that’s closet to me is Elmont LI, NY; an appointment was set. Waited for the contractor to call me each time. I waited 2 days to be told that Home Depot Elmont NY, does not install in Queens, NY. Ok. So now I call Home Depot back and the representative advised me that Freeport Long island NY can install in Queens. Now this was too good to be true. It was. The Manager from Home Depot Freeport said no after telling me yes. Now mind you these stores are the closest to me.
One month gone and my second refund later. Home Depot rep advised me that the only store in Queens to install a water heater was Springfield, NY. I was very please to hear that and anxious to proceed with appointment, etc. I was also aware of complaints online, regarding installers for Home Depot especially water heaters and the $100 charge they’ll try to impose.
So with that all being said, the installers from Tristate arrived and just like a script; First of all they sent what seemed to be very young and inexperienced (assuming approx. 18-21 yrs). As soon as they saw the heater, first words were (yes thats 2 installers) said Oh no we have a problem. Like I said just like a script. The water heater is tall and require additional cutting. I said ok, How much? I do contract work as well. I said Do you need snippers to cut the tin vent. I will do it my self. I was actually advising the plumbers. The young man quoted me a price of $90 for a valve and then it seemed like he forgot what else to say and decided to call his manager. After speaking to the manager he turns to me and says we are not equipped to do the work and did offer me an alternative water heater which was shorter and with 6 year warranty. He told me it was not boxed. For all I know it could have been a return so I declined. The plumbers left. I called the Tristate contractors myself so what happens next since they were not equipped to do the work. I was advised that they will have to place another order to install with proper items. So I went to the Home Depot to obtain a refund. was told $887 minus $ 100. Of course I told my story and declared “Its not my fault the plumbers were not equipped and seemed inexperienced.” I also advised that Home depot has alot of complaints online regarding installation services. I was given my refund. I decided to purchased the water heater and get a 20yr professional to install and was charged only $250.00 It appeared to me that these young plumbers were rehearsing along with the manager going from home to home to collect a $100 fee providing no work and/or poor service. Keeping a used water heater in their truck. This is truly a scam and quite tacky. Until they came to me.

Jose Batistuta Apr 20, 2011

I will never use GE Water Heaters sold at Home Depot. I am a licensed plumbing contractor. I used GE water heaters purchased at HD several times - and every one failed. HD will not take the heater back. I had to call GE to send somebody over to take a look at it. If he determines the heater is really defective he issues return number. In the meantime my customer is 2 days w/o hot water - and I have to repeat the installation for free to save my reputation. Shame on Home Depot. Never again. Thank you.