Home Depotpoor delivery service

When I ordered a clothes dryer from Home Depot I knew that they did not do their own deliveries - in fact, they make a big deal about using General Electric, which is supposed to make you feel better. What they don't bother to tell you is that GE is just the middle man, who in turn contracts with some local Podunk delivery service using part-time laborers. This does two things: first, all your delivery information has to go through three separate companies, so any hope of getting the instructions correct is hopeless; second, there is no responsibility - whatever goes wrong with your delivery is always "the other guy's fault."

In my case I was assured by a Home Depot representative that if I purchased a "stacking kit" with my dryer that the delivery men would be more than happy to stack my new dryer on my existing washing machine. Having been fooled before by Home Depot in the past I even made another call to their "delivery hot line" number and was again assured that there would be no problem. And being a belt and suspenders man I then included these stacking instructions in my order. Of course, I have since learned that no one reads these instructions.

Of course, on the day of the delivery, the delivery man claimed to have no knowledge of having to stack my dryer. (This was after he had already tracked my carpeting with his dirty boots.) He and his partner then quickly jumped in their truck and hurried off to their lunch appointment, apparently happy to not have to make this delivery. I then spent the next two hours in the hell called Customer Service for Home Depot, GE and the local deliver guy. Of course, they all were so busy pointing fingers that no one had the time to help me get my dryer delivered. In fairness to Home Depot, they did finally agree to refund my money - the same money that they had held for the last three weeks.

Bottom line: use the Home Depot delivery service only if you are prepared to cover your floors with plastic, have tea and cookies ready for the delivery men and end up with your appliance sitting in the middle of your floor. Believe me, they will find some reason not to install it. Home delivery should be a time for a retailer to gain the good graces of their customers - instead Home Depot has decided that it is a just a necessary evil of their business and treats their customers accordingly.

• Go
    Gowest Jun 03, 2016

I ordered up over 2000.00 worth of laminate flooring (higher end Pergo) on May 14th, and was told it was a special order, and that it would be in within 7-10 days. I started calling on day 10, and was given a later date (5/29). On June 1, I called, and was told June 6. On June 9, they called me to tell me that my flooring had been sent to a different state (like 2000 miles away) but that they would rush order it. Today, June 13th, I finally took delivery. Now I am chasing the HD installer. When I called the store, it was like it was the first time they had ever heard of me. In the meantime, people from whom I ordered furniture for that room are hounding me to deliver-I never thought it would take 6 weeks to get one room done. My house needs lots of stuff-granite counters, new sinks, lots of wall to wall, tile, but it will be a cold day when I use Home Depot again. They'll be lucky to sell me a light bulb in the future.

• Ha
    hayfarms Sep 13, 2013

Home Depot Customer Service at an all time low. Purchased a washer and pedestal, a five year additional warranty and special stainless steel hoses from Home Depot on August 25th. A little over $1500.00. I received an e-mail that the pedestal was out of stock and wouldn't be available until November. Made a mad dash to purchase a pedestal at the local HH Gregg that was the exact same one that Home Depot did not have in stock. $48.00 LESS! Delivery came and on my first wash code E42 showed door jam and my wet clothes were locked in. Called service and was told that a repair order was transmitted and in place for the following week and that a part was being sent over night to our home for the repair man to install; NOTE, the part was received 6 days later. A one hour old machine broke. The repair company: a local Dial One, with a very bad reputation for inexperienced 18-22 year olds trouble shooting repairs and padding bills. (Read their complaint board, its like War and Peace). Not an Electrolux Service Tech a sourced out plumbing / electrical / washer / dryer / refrigeration / and whatever else goes wrong home service. We demanded a new unit. After speaking with Electrolux repair, customer service, logistics, Home Depot Customer Service and an unknown delivery service our washer was replaced. The second washer was tested before the delivery persons, from GE Delivery left the house and code E42 shows up again. The door won't open. After three full hours and the installer, myself, husband speaking to several representatives from both Home Depot and Electrolux and several transferred phone calls we were set for a re-delivery for the third time on 9/14/2013. We received a call at 3:45 PM Friday 9/13/2013 from April in transport (not sure what leg of transport) only to say that delivery was off and reset for Wednesday 9/18/2013 there was a logistics problem. Didn't inquire if that was a good date for us or did I have a preference. After a push for a better slot I was told that was the best she could do and I could accept it or cancel the delivery the day before when I would be called with a time frame. I asked to speak to a supervisor and Ms. April stated there was no one else and gave me, after two request, Customer Care phone number. I called and was put on hold twice. I asked if she could review and see if there was a recall on this unit or a problem with the door latch. I was told that it probably happened in delivery and then put on hold to be transferred to Home Depot. I was then told that Electrolux did not use the same delivery service as most of the other companies Home Depot dealt with and that was some of the delay in delivery. They did not use GE Services one of Home Depots largest. A blatant lie as GE delivered the 2nd broken machine to us. To date I have no washer, and no change in delivery date, but a lot more "...I'll connect you to the proper department". Since August 25, I have been doing laundry at a Laundromat to the tune of $3.50 per wash load and $3.50 per dry load. Three weeks and a total of 17 loads I am now approaching the $125.00 mark. The delivery service that Home Depot offers is the most dysfunctional disorganized and discombobulating group of "pass the buck" chain of command employees I have ever dealt with in my entire life. I will never purchase an appliance from the Home Depot again. In the process of getting a full refund I found out that the warranty that was ambiguous presented is through Home Depot (must have been a commission involved) and not Electrolux, leaving me with a Home Depot warranty on nothing. So if I cancel the washer order the warranty would apply to NOTHING for 5 years. Nice sign and creative advertising at its best. I could have done better at a pawn shop!

• Da
    Dave Russell Feb 24, 2013

After getting a requested consultation visit from Home Depot's sales associate, on Nov 19 my wife purchased new kitchen appliances, granite counter tops and plumbing work for the kitchen and two baths. She was really excited to get a new kitchen in our small Melbourne, FL home. On Nov 27 we had appliances delivered from the $8, 511 purchase at Home Depot in Melbourne. When I arrived home from work three hours later, I went to my den as I always do to take off my wedding band and put it in my leather watch case - the case is about the size of a fat loaf of bread. I was shocked when I opened the case and found the top level of three watches missing. I called for my wife Sandra and her jaw dropped. We knew what had happened. No one else had been in the house that day. The den is right around the corner 8' away from the kitchen. It was the Home Depot delivery guys. I sat down at my desk and opened the center drawer. An iPhone and a thin digital camera were missing. We checked for her iPad that had been on the kitchen counter. It was gone. Subsequently I have found that another watch from a drawer by the doorway was also taken. Nothing else is missing other than our confidence in Home Depot.

Apparently Home Depot outsources delivery. In this case Home Depot has an arrangement with Ralph's Delivery but Ralph's Delivery outsourced the work again to CMJS. Two sketchy guys handled the delivery. Sandra was at the house although on her hands and knees cleaning behind stove and refrigerator, moving stuff so the microwave could be installed, and making sure our two Golden Retrievers didn't bother the 'Home Depot' delivery guys. One of them made a quick snatch and grab visit to my den while she was not paying attention. Now she feels badly that it happened under her nose and we both are just really disappointed that a big deal Christmas present for us both has cost us so much. We both feel violated.

The delivery guys, of course, denied the theft and the Sheriff's office has been unable to tie the theft to the two guys. We still have finger print dust in the den (leather doesn't take prints).

Three of the stolen watches were valuable. The three police reports document the case but not the disappointment. The Home Depot store manager knows about this but didn't reach out. The delivery people turned it over to their insurance company who said it wasn't a loss, it was a theft and the staff denied the allegation.

My homeowners policy doesn't cover valuables like this. Typically I am chary about offering unsolicited advice. I'll make an exception here because I am pissed. Were I faced with this problem and the CEO of Home Depot, I would do a few things: yell at the store manager, change the three level deep no accountability delivery process, and make it right with the customer. NONE of that happened. Buyers beware - Home Depot delivery contractors steal!