Home Depot - Hot Water Heatersunfair installation charges

I recently purchased a natural gas water heater from Home Depot. The telephone operator that processes phone orders told me the installation charge would be $200. He also said there was the "possibility of more charges to meet code". When I asked what code, he said "building code for your county". OK--so I may have to pay an extra $50 or so. When the plumber arrived, of course he found a myriad of 'code violations' requiring new parts and service. I asked him what 'code' was he referring to and who established these charges? He said the charges are "determined by Home Depot" and the code is "the State of Georgia". OK, so what does this mean? Who knows? I was then told that I had to purchase an inspection permit for $50 so that a building code inspector could come out and validate the job. Do inspectors really visit all the homes that install a hot water heater? "Yes, sir, they do".

The final upcharge was $450. I complained and the plumbing company said "Home Depot doesn't charge tax, so I will discount it $70." Doesn't charge tax? It's ridiculous that consumers have to pay $650 to install a $300 hot water Also, the plumber had all of the upcharges printed on one page---to clarify: the plumber just checked off all of the upcharges from a printed list. He knew (and Home Depot knows) exactly what the extra charges are going to be in advance. Home Depot needs to be upfront and honest about these charges when consumers call in for a job that takes no more than 1-2 hours of work because of some "code".

• Vi
    Vince Jun 16, 2008

I happen to be a plumbing contractor in San Diego. Maybe all you cheap people should live in an apartment. You seem to think skilled craftsman should work for peanuts. The company they work for and themselves should make as much or more than lazy customers who have no idea what a blue collar job entails. Also when J. Harris says a water heater install takes 1 or 2 hours, does he or she know what it takes to dispatch, stock trucks, organize, train techs, comply with local codes, etc.? People lets think before we ### about nothing. I would have charged much more so my techs and myself could have a lifestyle we deserve.

• Fl
    Florence Such Jan 20, 2008

The prices are outrageous and the charges for these codes even moreso, this is supposed to be built extra correctly and that is why the higher price so why so many codes... I think it is a rip off and there should be a way for persons to put in heat cheaper than that.

With prices so high on food and other things like housing etc. we better use a little insight and make a product that is both safe and less expensive. Also, we should conduc our business wiht a little
    ethics so that people can be treated fairly when purhcaseing something as simple as a water heater.
    Mrs. Florence Such