Hobby Lobby Storesextremely rude manager

Jul 20, 2019

Yesterday 7/19/19 I encountered the rudest customer service experience I've ever had in my life at Hobby Lobby off of Bell & 7th St. In Phoenix Arizona and with a manager by the name of Carla. I had been shopping for a while already when I was starting to locate my last few items that I needed assistance with. I asked a nice sales associate about getting a pack of the Copic markers for me. She stated she had to get the manager to access them. As I waited patiently for a managers assistance I started looking at epoxy resin near by as I had heard from an artist friend that hobby lobby carries their favorite kind. Then all of a sudden the manager approached me very quick and extremely rude while reaching into my cart and says, "is this ours, what is this?" Referring to some of the items I placed in my cart to purchase. (Mind you I'm standing in front of the cart with my hands on the rail.) I replied, no, those are the items I'm purchasing. I have them organized by sale categorie to make it easier. I've been shopping here for years and have always done it this way. Carla (the manager) then says even more rudely you need to lay everything out in your cart and proceeded to reach across me to expand the baby seat in the cart and says you can place everything out here instead... (First off I have a cart full of stuff what exactly should I be placing in the baby seat that would fit, and secondly when did rules develope on what's an appropriate way of loading up your own shopping cart?) I don't know about you but I prefer to keep like things together especially when purchasing several items as I find it just makes it easier on everyone. Carla never even asked me about the copic markers which was supposed to be the whole reason she came to "help" me. Instead she insulted me and was so rude she just made me want to leave right away and not even finish shopping.

As someone who also worked years of retail management I'm completely floored by how she treated me and the situation. I understand there's protocol but there's also something called manners, being polite and treating your customers with respect! When your job is customer service I would think making your customers want to leave instead of keep shopping is the worst thing you can possibly do! I ended up leaving right then, still spending $100 against my better judgement with all that happened but it would have easily been more like $200+ had I received the help I asked for instead of accusations and flat out rudeness! As a loyal customer of hobby lobby who's spent thousands of dollars for many years I'm sad to say this completely crossed a line for me.

I'm a practicing Christian, a cancer survivor and a very hard worker for the things I have. I'm honest, give back in my community and am dedicated to helping and supporting others. So to be treated like this over the way I arranged my cart is astonishing to me. I've shopped at Hobby Lobby for many years now and refer my business clients there all the time as well. Unfortunately after this horrific experience I can't continue to do so with a good conscience.

For a company that holds itself to a Christian standard I thought you'd appreciate knowing how your manager is treating a loyal customer. Absolutely unacceptable in my option, and nowhere near the Christian way of living through kindness.

During check out I mentioned to the cashier Erik the situation. Asked if there was another manager on duty as well as I was appalled by my experience with Carla. Erik was very kind and helpful stating the best way to handle it is writing a complaint so it goes to corporate. I was also informed the store was understaffed and maybe that had something to do with it... Honestly, that's even worse. Trying to give an excuse instead of admitting you were wrong and apologizing. If I were the manager in that situation I would have done everything in my power to make it right because aren't the customers suppose to be top priority?!? Bottomline without customers there is no retail business so instead of acting like helping me is an issue she could have potentially met her hourly goal just by my purchases alone.

Please feel free to reach out to me with questions or if you'd like additonal information. I appreciate your time and help with this matter. I know if one of my employees, especially a manager was treating a loyal customer this way I'd want to know right away.

[removed]
[protected]@gmail.com

• Updated by Star7 · Jul 26, 2019

I've also reached out to Hobby Lobby customer service. They responded back saying in short, "Sorry for the inconvenience. We appreciate you as a loyal customer and hope your next time shopping with us is better."

Um, really that's all you got!?! Are you kidding me?!? Considering the situation I think a better apology was in order and if they think I'm shopping there again after all this they must be crazy. So many better ways this could have gone down in my opinion and honestly this just confirmed that Hobby Lobby really doesn't care about their customers or my horrible experience. Which I hate to say because I really thought more of them until now, but unfortunately for them facts are facts and they really messed up in my eyes. Sorry Hobby Lobby but I won't be supporting you anymore. I'd rather take my hard earned money and spend it where I'm truly appreciated.