Harbor Breeze Ceiling Fanremote control stopped working!

I bought two Harbor Breeze Ceiling Fans at Lowe's last year... one for my bedroom and one for the Florida Room. I have had no problems whatsoever with the one installed in the Florida Room. However, the remote control has completely stopped working on the fan in my bedroom. I have tried re-setting it but have not had any luck. As it is now, I cannot turn anything on or off with the remote control and the bad thing is that it only came with a remote control; i.e., there is no pull string for back-up. Anybody got any suggestions on how to correct this problem? I checked the Lowe's website and a replacement remote control costs $50.98 and I only paid something like $59.99 for each ceiling fan. What's wrong with this picture? Thank you for your time and assistance, if possible.

• La
    Laura May 08, 2008

I also have several Harbor Breeze Fans that were quite pricey. I paid an electrician to put them up. The larger one in my livingroom has been a disappointment, in just a few months the light will not turn on with the remote and there is no pull string for back up. I had not realized when I bought this fan/light that it was run strictly by remote control (I wouldn't have bought it) the light bulb is the strangest looking thing. I am very discouraged. Thank-you for the above address and phone number of this company

• Ta
    Tasha May 22, 2008

Try buying a replacement kit. You can get them at Lowe's for around $25 and it comes with a new remote and fan system. It shouldn't be too hard to replace.

• Ro
    Ron Jun 17, 2008

Same issue here with a Harbor Breeze Fan and Thermostat Ceiling Fan & LIght Remote Control. My guess is the Remote Control has gone bad.

I had an electrician install my fan in Feb 2007 and he used power from a ceiling light which still works so I think it is the remote. At Lowe's this is Item # 103186. I bought the same one as a replacement for $35.97, but before I have it replaced, I will call the number on the packaging to see what they have to say
    800-527-1292.

• Sc
    Scott Jul 13, 2008

Sounds like a few of us are having the same problem...had my fan installed in a 2 sotry entry way June 2007...stopped working last week. I got the $59.99 special at Lowe's last summer, and the item number was 233576...model #TDCVIII52ABZ. I suspect it is the remote as well, ours does a funny thing...the LED on the remote doesn't illuminate when I press the MED speed button. It does illuminate for the light, Hi, Low buttons. ODD, but it seems like the remote to me (changed battery and does the same thing).

I haven't called customer service yet, does anyone have some insight for what to expect from them? Are they going to immdiately suggest I buy a [email protected] Lowe's, or they interested in helping understand/debug the problem?

• Ju
    Julie Jul 21, 2008

I'm having the same problem with my remotes. Only two years old and only used in the summers at our cottage.
    I will try and call the customer service number mentioned on this page. We'll see what happens.

• Co
    Confused Jul 26, 2008

I bought a Harbor Breeze fan today at Lowe's which didn't include the remote control. I bought an universal Harbor Breeze remote and at installation it never worked. I've changed the codes over and over and doesn't work. Any advice of what could be wrong? the conection seems to be correct since both light and fan are working. Please help me!

• 2n
    2nd Remote Aug 04, 2008

My replacement remote went out today. That's two remotes in less than a year. It can get be really annoying when the bedroom fan light won't turn off just before going to sleep. No switches or cords to turn the fan off. The replacement remotes are costing more than the fan itself.

Dorothy Hardeman Aug 08, 2008

I had a new home built in 2005 and installed 3 harbor breeze fans and now the remote control does not work on 2 of the fans...I can't turn on or off light or fan...what can u do about this...purchased at Lowes please get back with me

Andrew Aug 24, 2008

I've been having the same problem with my remote not working. I actually just checked the dipswitches in the remote against the ones in the ceiling fan, and they somehow were not the same. It seems that the 4th dipswitch may have inadvertently been altered due to the battery either being changed or just moving. I advise you all check out the settings on the actual fan to see whether or not they match up.

Twist the cap covering the wiring above the fan (make sure the power is off, just in case), and you will see a black box like thing straddled towards the top. There is a little rubber square cap guarding the dipswitches. Take that off and note the setting of the 4 switches (on/off). Compare it with the remote by taking the batter pack off and looking at the 4 switches there.

I noticed that the 4th switch on my remote was turned on when it should have been off. I changed it back, and now it works.

Hopefully this helps you all.

• Ke
    Keinia Simone Bucknor May 16, 2017

@Andrew My remote only has one switch. Also before it stopped working one of the bulbs blew out in the most fabulous pops and electricity sparking moments I've ever seen. Then even after replacing said bulb...the switch doesn't work.😞

• Sy
    Sylvia Roberts Sep 21, 2008

I have experienced the same problem with my remote.

• Li
    Linda Sep 27, 2008

I have always been experiencing the same problem with the remote control for a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan in my home office. Try to work on the computer when you can't see the keyboard, especially at night. It's very annoying! I've had the fan for over a year now, and it's been doing this on and off, almost since I got it. Just this week it quit completely. So, I started searching online for help and came accross these postings. I was about to call the 800 number listed above, when I saw the posting by Andrew. I didn't even have to look at the dipswitch on the fan. I opened the remote and flipped the 4th switch on, and wah lah! It worked! Thanks Andrew!

Donna Sep 28, 2008

I have a the same fan, actually 2 in the same room...One will not shut off. It does not respond to the remote. I have checked the dip switch, and the wall switch. The fans are soo high, we can't reach them, so I know the switch has not been changed on that... They were both working fine just a week ago. Then the one that does not shut off now, would not work at all last week. A few days a go it turned on by its self and now it won't turn off!!! This was aslo purchased at Lowes...HELP

• Ti
    Titus Oct 14, 2008

I have a Harbor Breeze Austin Series Ceiling fan. I am having problems locating the right bulbs for this fan. Can anyone help?

Don Saenz Oct 29, 2008

I may have a fix for some of you that have the same problem as I did. My remote light control started working intermittently and became progressively worse.

I took the remote apart and cleaned the six gold contacts (my remote has 6 corresponding buttons) with some alcohol and reassembled the remote.

Works great. Make sure when disassembling the remote that you find the screw hidden inside the battery compartment.

Hope this helps.

Don Saenz

• Pa
    paz salas Nov 08, 2008

I had one of these Hunter Breeze fans for two months before it stopped working all together. Since it has no option for a pull swing, I can either use it as a light or a fan.
    Hmmm? Very annoying to say the least.
    Will make me think twice before buying any appliance from Lowes again!

• He
    Helen Nov 17, 2008

Yesterday, Nov. 16, 2008, I turned my ceiling fan on due to smoke in house. I live in Los Angeles and, as you may know, we're experiencing several fires around the area. The smokey smell was in the house. Well, last night when I attempted to turn it off at approx. 10 p.m., it wouldn't go off because the pull chain doesn't pull anymore. Since I rent, I contacted the property management company about this last night and as of 1:25 p.m. today, Mon. Nov. 17, I've not heard a word from them. I'm afraid this may be a fire hazard because the fan's been up more than 15 years and the last time a part was replaced, some of the wires were very brittle. Am I worrying for nothring? Any electricians out there? HELP!!!

• Mr
    MrPosAndNeg Feb 08, 2009

I am having the same remote problem after just 11 months. I will never ever buy a Harbor breeze fan again...I have done everything to troubleshoot and fix this, but its clearly shoddy product. The remote is junk and the design of not having a back up is worse. Lowe's should stop carrying this trash. I plan to tell everyone homeowner I know about how crappy harbor breeze is and advise they spend a few extra bucks for any other brand. I pt up with the hard to find lightbulbs...but when the function of the fan and light is completely compromised after taking the time to put it up, its a total waste of money for anyone who is electrician themself. I hate to be to poor soul who paid an electrician $75 or more just to put these pieces of crap up to find they didn't last as long as the lightbulbs that go in them. Hopefully Harbor Breeze is one of those companies that goes out of business in this tough economy, they can rot for all i care. And judging by all these complaints...they are probably in trouble.

• Da
    Dave Rivera Mar 20, 2009

I am having the same problem with the remote, so I called 800-527-1292, where they suggested changing the dipswitch code on both the remote & controller up in the fan housing, and turning off the main breaker for one minute ( why?). Let's see if that works. Submitted by Reglatodo

• Vd
    V. Delgado Apr 15, 2009

My remote quit working after a little over a year. I took the cover piece off of the ceiling mount to check that the remote code switches matched. Once I took the cover piece off the remote worked. I put the cover piece back on and the remote quit again. I finally realized that the screws mounting the cover piece to the fan bracket were too tight and must have been smashing the remote sensor wire. I loosened the screws a bit, and the remote seems to be working fine. Hope this helps someone out there.
    Submitted by V. Delgado

• Ca
    Carolyn Apr 20, 2009

Lost remote for harbor breeze item number 233576. Is there a universal remote for this item number?

Carolyn

Jason Apr 26, 2009

Carolyn,

You can buy a replacement remote at Lowes for like $24. Just make sure you set the dip switches on the new remote to match the dip switches inside the fan unit...

• Ji
    Jimmy May 10, 2009

I just got to this site because my fan stopped working also. One good thing is the light can be turned on and off with the wall switch but I do not get any response with the remote. Does anyone think it is the receiver in the fan rather than the remote??? That was my first thought because I have never had a remote transmitter go bad and I have abused remotes to no end!

Jimmy

Jackie May 27, 2009

My receiver went bad (according to the tech support guy at Harbor Breeze). This is covered for the life of the product and I will be receiving a new one in about a week. Lucky for me my husband is handy and will be able to install the new one. The phone number on my manual is 1-800-444-6742. 52" Triton Ceiling Fan mod. #192909 purchaced from Lowes.

Jason May 27, 2009

I never received a response from Lytex, I went to lowes and bought the $25 receiver/remote kit.. went home and tried the new remote on the old receiver and it worked OK.. I returned the new received with the bad remote and got my money back! They didn't want to help me, so I helped myself!

Jason

• Sf
    SFD434 May 30, 2009

I am have a Harbor Breeze Fans with remotes One fan started to act a bit crazy dimming the light bring to dull I checked the dip switches and all is set up fine the light on the remote doesnt go off I then changed remotes to the other one I had set the drip switch to the fan I need a remote at a reasonablr price someone HELP!!!

• Ky
    Kyle Sutton Jul 01, 2009

Maybe this will help. I called customer service at 800-444-6742 and told them of the remote problem that I was having with BOTH Harbor Breeze fans I purchased a year ago. I was told that it was the sensor in the fan not getting the signal from the remote, and that this sensor is covered under warranty. They asked if I would like for them to ship me 2 of these sensors free of charge. Well sure . . . why don't ya do that.

They said it is a small black box that is relatively easy to replace; just a matter of dropping the fan from the ceiling into the cradle, unwiring the old, and wiring in the new. We'll see if this works.

Be sure to have the model number of your fan when you call. It's on the top of the motor housing. Get a stepstool and retrieve it from there.

I've got my fingers crossed.

• Sc
    scott48044 Jul 23, 2009

I have a Harbor Breeze celing fan in my bedroom ( this is the 2nd one ) and the light only comes on by the chain (the remote will not work ) the fan only comes on by the remote not the chain. and when you turn the light on while the fan is on the fan stops.

Any idea how to fix Iam getting tired of this fan and Unemployed I would like to throw it at the harbor breeze company window

I WILL NEVER BUY A HARBOR BREEZE FAN AGAIN

• Cj
    CJ40 Jul 24, 2009

I bought 2 of these fans - I thought the remote was in addition to the pull chain. Both remotes stopped working after a couple of months!!! Tried changing batteries -- no help. Is there a way to add a pull-chain mechanism?? I'd rather do that and throw away the remotes.

• Al
    Almad Aug 15, 2009

I bought two ceiling fans with remotes about a year and a half ago. One is Harbor Breeze and one is Hampton Bay. I had someone install them. Apparently he threw away the instructions for the remotes, if there were any. I have had problems with the remotes on both of them, and finally figured out about the dipswitch code. Both of them are working for the moment (I'm not holding my breath), but not without a lot of frustration. I will not buy anymore ceiling fans with remotes, and won't recommend them or either of these brands to anyone.

Charles in LA Oct 21, 2009

Our Harbor Breeze remote only had a few buttons working - could change the fan speed but not turn fan off, or light on/off. Yes, I changed the battery.

We have another fan with a remote, so I changed the code just to see; the other remote (a Hampton Bay) controls the fan just fine. So apparently, it's a shoddy Harbor Breeze remote, not the fixture itself.

• Ef
    efu2d Nov 01, 2009

Hello, I am having a situation with a fan, I tried to set the dipswitches and I can not find the one in the fan? I took apart the Fan, the light switch housing where I thought it was ( i have done this before on other fans ) and saw nothing in there, so I remeved the fan blades and the top housing and still saw no dipswitches there. from what I was told by the owner the remote worked and then didnt, so I was going to reprogram the remote to work on two fans..

MJ

• Jj
    jjstarr Nov 04, 2009

FYI- we were having the same problem with our harbor breeze fan remote. I called the maker which is msg a maker for lowes and they said it is our recieving and are sending new ones at no cost. the number to call is 1-800-444-6742. Hope this helps!

• Ls
    LSB Nov 06, 2009

I just took apart the remote and cleaned off the contacts and my remote is working again. :)

• Ga
    Gatorfan Nov 24, 2009

I just cleaned my contacts and mine is working again (after a year of aggravation). Thank you for posting the information!!!

• Hd
    HD_Softy Dec 23, 2009

This may sound weird but I have three Harbor Breeze fans that I installed in my home about a year ago and now two of the them don't work. I did a lot of searching on the web and found nothing but bad publicity about these fans. So I did some thinking and I came up with this: The two remotes that don't work were laying flat on the nightstands and the one that does work was standing up in a sleeve on my desk. I changed the dip switches on it to match the other fans and they worked! The problem isn't the box, its the remotes. To make a long story short, I stood up the other remotes and left them alone for a week or so and came back to check on them and to my surprise, they started working too! It sounds silly but I think these remotes need to be stored upright to keep working. Maybe something with a resistor or chip or something inside. Try it out and see if it works for you.

maddernhell1 Dec 30, 2009

my fan remote kit was not 1 year old yet remote bad i was sure it was the remote because the light on remote would not go out so i went to lowes and bought the same kit i had bought before #031594 i took the remote out tried it fan worked i switched insides of new remote to my old one to make sure the remote still looked new took it back to lowes and told them i installed the unit and it would not work i thought it was the remote so i bought a second one and only took the remote out to try it and it worked so i'm returning this one because the remote is bad they returned it no problem i can tell you that i have took items back to lowes before and they do not ask questions as long as you have the receipt but i did not want someone geting this bad unit so i told them it was bad their was 2 opened packages their when i was buying one so i bet others did the same thing but did not tell them the unit was bad i did not buy one that had been opened

(i do not feel i am cheating or steeling because this unit should last for years and it lasted for less than 1 year)

maddernhell1 Dec 30, 2009

my contacts was not dirty but i have cleaned contacts on tv remotes and cell phones to get key pads working

• Ro
    rocknroll Feb 27, 2010

The problem I have is the battery in the remote goes dead after a week. The fan is off for several days but the battery still goes dead. any ideas?

• Ha
    Harbor Breeze Apr 19, 2010

Three remotes are not working. I put new batteries and it's still not working.

• Ru
    ruthiej2 Apr 28, 2010

I have a Harbor Breeze Remote Control Kit. We have been having troubles. At first my husband thought I was hitting the buttons in my sleep because the fan / light started turning on by itself in the middle of the night. Since I was under a lot of stress at work I figured he could possibly be right. So the next night we put the remote on his bedside table instead. It still happened. Glad to know I'm not going crazy any way! Well it eventually just quit working a few weeks later. After I read all of this I took the remote apart and cleaned everything inside with alcohol on a Q-tip and guess what: It works now. Thanks for the tip!