Harbor Breeze Ceiling Fanremote control stopped working!

A

I bought two Harbor Breeze Ceiling Fans at Lowe's last year... one for my bedroom and one for the Florida Room. I have had no problems whatsoever with the one installed in the Florida Room. However, the remote control has completely stopped working on the fan in my bedroom. I have tried re-setting it but have not had any luck. As it is now, I cannot turn anything on or off with the remote control and the bad thing is that it only came with a remote control; i.e., there is no pull string for back-up. Anybody got any suggestions on how to correct this problem? I checked the Lowe's website and a replacement remote control costs $50.98 and I only paid something like $59.99 for each ceiling fan. What's wrong with this picture? Thank you for your time and assistance, if possible.

• Al
    AlexGerwer Oct 18, 2017

Krissy,

Per the attached, following through on your suggestion in dealing with Lowe's didn't take us very far. Any help that you and your colleagues can provide us would be greatly appreciated.

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 12:31 PM, wrote:

Krissy,

Thank you very much for your guidance. We will see where this takes us.

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 12:22 PM, Krissy Guess wrote:

Boxbe Krissy Guess ([email protected]) is not on your Guest List | Approve sender | Approve domain

Hi Alex,

I was forwarded below email chain this afternoon. We spoke this last Friday about this item. Carole works for Litex, and your remote control is not made by Litex Industries. From research online, we believe your fan could be below based on the photo of the remote control you sent. MSG, who handles replacement parts for Harbor Breeze products, should be able to help you once you can locate the model or item number of the fans you purchased. MSG can be reached at [protected].

Thanks,

Krissy Guess

Director of Logistics & Account Operations

[email protected]

From: Rick Johnson
    Sent: Monday, October 16, 2017 1:07 PM
    To: Krissy Guess
    Subject: FW: Missing Remote Control for Harbor Breeze Fan

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of [email protected]
    Sent: Monday, October 16, 2017 2:03 PM
    To: [email protected]
    Cc: Carole L. Howcroft; Jean C. Liu; [email protected]; [email protected]; Rick Johnson
    Subject: Re: Missing Remote Control for Harbor Breeze Fan

Carole,

Thank you very much for your email. We were able to identify "Landmark Enterprise Inc." in Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunai as the manufacturer of the fan. The model number of the fan is LP8293 (FN569DWDC). The remote that is used with these fans is made by Dawn Sun and is their model number A25-TX012LRC (as shown in the link in this email thread. That is all that we have. I hope that this will allow you to help us.

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 11:09 AM, wrote:

Yaoming,

We purchased eight fans, but are missing the remote controls for two of the fans:

Therefore, we are in need to two A25-TX012LRC remotes. Please let me know what needs to be done to accomplish this. Your help is much needed and greatly appreciated.

• Gr
    Groana Sanders Jul 08, 2017

Harbor Breeze Pawtucket The fan is beautiful, but the product is a fire hazard and a piece of crap. When running the fan on high, I thought it was emitting a funny hot smell. After 6 days my remote stopped working: I can no longer adjust the speed from high nor turn on the light. Lowe's better give me my money back for the lemon of a fan they sell. Or prepare to buy me a new house when it burns down from the hazard they promote. I'm reporting this crap to the Federal Trade Commission. My father bought a Washing Machine from Lowe's. The Washing Machine Died to Soon. Lowe's I just lost all trust in the products you promote and sell. money back or lets go to court. THANKS FOR WRITING THIS INFORMATION ON-LINE. I DIDN'T THINK A CEILING FAN WOULD BE SUCH A PROBLEM TO FIND AND BUY.

• Gr
    Groana Sanders Jul 08, 2017

@Groana Sanders How cool I reset the Remote with that Learn Button I found in the Remote. Now I can adjust the Fan speed again BUT NOW the Light only Dims and Brightens and will not go off. LOWE'S YOU SELL [censor]

• Pi
    Pierre Dumont May 18, 2017

My remote would not work either, but I finally got it to go by turning the light/fan switch off and then hitting the learn button and then turning the light/fan switch on.

Mairead Tobin Mar 14, 2017

i have two fans also, both remotes not working

• Ke
    Keith Schwacha May 18, 2017

@Mairead Tobin I hope this helps some of you with remote problems. I have a Harbor Breeze which I usually control with a wall switch, and I've just been using the light over the winter. When trying to start up the fan this spring with the remote, the red light came on but no response from the fan. But - replacing the battery did the trick. So even if you think your battery is OK it might not have enough power to do anything - just like when your TV remote batteries run low.
    Just remember that if your remote has a switch called "Learn" next to the battery compartment, you may need to push that, it will play a little "tune" and the fan will respond. Don't ask me why. I guess it is calibrating or something. And of course, as in other comments, don't mess with the dip switch if it's already working, but if you already moved it try moving it back. My fan is getting kind of old now, circa 2012 I think, and it's still hanging in there.

• Dg
    Dgayers Mar 07, 2017

After mutliple tries, it would not reset. Had the same remote issue. Called Harbor Breeze tech. He insisted my fan was too old (2012) for replacement parts and I would have to purchase a new fan. The blue lights were working on the remote. I purchased new batteries anyway. Worked first time.

Boofieie Dec 28, 2016

Thank you. This was the easiest way to fix my remote !

Boofieie Dec 28, 2016

@Boofieie Sorry, this reply was meant to be under "press the little button on the remote". That is how I fixed my remote.

• Rc
    RCH2 Sep 10, 2016

I have a harbor breeze Marrimack outdoor fan which is not responding to the remote. The light is on but the fan is off. I have replaced the remote battery to no effect. I do see that the remote blue light comes on when I press any button.

Does anyone know how to check whether the remote dip switches are set correctly? I did not change the dip switches but just want to confirm. Remote model number is L3HFAN35T

What else could I check? Any thoughts before I decide to replace the fan.

• Fa
    fanguru Aug 21, 2016

RE: Harbor Breeze Saratoga model DC motor remote fan w/light. We have four of these fans and experienced remote issues with two of them. This model has a lifetime warranty, I contacted the C.S. number on the manual, the CSR walked me through a number of possible solutions with none of them resolving the issue so she said she was shipping new a new remote under warranty. The new remote arrived (in Hawaii) in two days, I "learned" the remote to the fan and it has been working properly since. The same routine for the second malfunctioning remote. Sorry there is no manual operation for this fan, but I'm completely satisfied with its high volume air movement and the customer service response to my situation.

• Sc
    Scott Brown 1 Aug 17, 2016

If anyone was a Harbor Breeze Kingsbury with the 6 speed pad and does not have dip switches this might help. I got lucky messing around and wanted to pass it on because I couldn't find any solutions online. Turn the power off at the switch- Wait a minute- Turn the power back on and press the #2 and #5 at the same time until the light turns on and off. You should be back in business. :)

• Aa
    Aaron Bakalar Apr 04, 2017

@Scott Brown 1 This post helped, although indirectly. I have the 6-speed remote with one toggle switch (0/1) and a Learn button. The first time my remote quit on me, I discovered the Learn button and solved my problem. This last time though, nothing seemed to work. I tried the #2 + #5 simultaneous approach and it did not help. BUT!!! after trying this, I went back to the Learn button and VOILA - "back in business." Thank goodness, because the fan is only about a year old with few miles and looks very cool.

• Ve
    Very Very Unhappy customer Jul 25, 2016

I bought 2 harbor breeze ceiling fans, one for each bedroom. I have gone through a few remotes because they stop working & the fans that I bought also do not gave any pull chains. I didn't think about this when I bought them, just thought how nice the remotes would be when I was in bed & wanted to change the speed of the fan. In order to buy a new remote you have to buy the whole remote system, they do not sell just replacement remotes, guess they want to make a lot of money. If a TV remote goes bad you can buy a new remote, so why can't you just buy the remote piece for these fans?!?! I will never buy harbor breeze fans again & will tell anyone I know or see in the store not to purchase one. So disappointing. I know it is the remote because if I use the one from the other bedroom & put the number the same as the broken remote it works that fan. I tried to buy a new remote the other day, but now they changed the remotes to find the signal automatically, no changing the numbers. Well this does not work with the transmitter currently in the fan. I will be taking it back. If I'm going to have my husband pull that fan down to put in a new transmitter, I will throw that piece of crap in the trash & buy a better fan.

• Id
    idamae Jul 20, 2016

Harbor Breeze ceiling fan (model unknown):

Purchased at Lowe's in March 2010 for $99 plus tax = $108.25. First problem ever occurred a couple days ago (July 2016) with the remote control. Don't even remember ever having changed the battery before now either. The remote is different than what others have shown or reported and the YouTube video that Cathy Rice reference in March 2016 is no longer avail. The number on the back of the remote is KUJCE9805. We have no manual to reference. That being said, wish to thank everyone for interesting input and comments, some of which seemed to have helped. As in the "learn" button which we did not know existed, the wall switch issue, etc. First we changed the battery, which didn't do the trick. Now with these other suggestions it seems to be OK for now. Guess we got lucky with this one b/c it runs constantly, every hour of every day of the year and has for so long, so we're grateful. Thanks everyone!

• Ji
    Jim Christensen Jul 18, 2016

I have a Harbor Breeze Wakefield ceiling fan that works fine until I replace the bulbs after 2 days. Then I replace the bulbs with LED bulbs and now the light will not go off. The upper light will go off but not the main light that has 3 40 watt bulbs in it. Is the remote bad or what? Either way this is a crappy ceiling fan. My other fan was 20 years old and it worked perfect I just wanted something new.

• Lr
    LRisHotnAnnoyed Jul 14, 2016

My complaints are similar to the previous posts. However, I paid an electrician OVER $200 to install two Harbor Breeze fans. ONe in the kitchen and the other in the master bedroom just over a year ago. The kitchen remote stopped working about a month ago. I thought it was the battery which I replaced. The new battery worked for a few weeks and I replaced them again this week. I went to Lowe's to get a new remote which costs $25 but you have to reinstall all the wires and the cost of the electrician will be double what the fan costs! Going with the name brand (Hampton Bay) next time!!!

• Be
    Beverly Livingston Jul 09, 2016

when I also saw the posting by Andrew and then the one by Linda who also clightly copied Andrew; I too, didn't even have to look at the dipswitch on the fan. I opened the remote and flipped the 4th switch on, and wah lah! It worked! Thanks Andrew and Linda 7/2016.

• Ro
    Ron Song Destro Jun 19, 2016

Problem Solved: for me, the remote suddenly stopped working. So I finally figured it out. Turn off the wall switch (or the breaker) that powers the fan. Then turn it back on. Press the LEARN button inside the remote cover. Then hit the buttons on the remote and the fan should work again. Now I keep the fan in the on position and turn it off not by the remote but by the wall switch.

• Je
    JerryDoo Jun 06, 2016

I have several of these fans around my house... Just a thought: If the fan has worked in the past and remote stops working, try the easiest repair item first, meaning check the battery. In my older version, the remote requires a 9 volt battery. Although the little red light on the remote would light up, the fan would not turn on. I took the battery out and checked it with a multi-meter and discovered that the 9 volt battery was only putting out 4.5 volts. I replaced the battery with a new one and both fan and light would turn on again. Hope this helps.

Anna Daniel1234 Mar 04, 2016

I just discovered something myself when I located the owners manual I had a small yellow slip of paper that had instructions for the remote! It mentioned the toggle was set at 0 (as opposed to the 1) which aligned with the part in the fan{I see where others people have had to change these to re-set communication} HERE IS THE KEY TO MAKE MINE WORK-- the instructions said to turn on the light, and WITHIN 30 seconds of hearing chimes, press the "LEARN" button on the back of the remote located in the battery area! If working you will hear the beeps and the light will flash 3 times and the fan with start working!! Mine did and continues to work again!!

• Ca
    Cathy Rice Mar 03, 2016

I have two Harbor breeze ceiling fans and both of the remotes stopped working, even after replacing the batteries. The following video was very helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=057g_r8bUok. After turning the power on (we have a wall switch) and then holding in the reset button for a few seconds, it started working again! It took us a year to figure this out and we were about to hire an electrician to look into fixing them, so I am glad that I found this website and the video.

• Br
    Brian Chamberlin Feb 09, 2016

Why can't you give out a free download for smartphone when your remote stops working? It would make everyone less negative to your products.

• Re
    Reviewer89008 Jan 18, 2016

I bought two Harbor Breeze fans from Lowe's, and the remotes have stopped working. Now I have no fan nor lights in the basement den because there is no way to turn them on. The batteries have been replaced, but the remotes still do not turn fans/lights on or off. What now? I really love the way these fans look, but they are not functional! Help!!!

Christopher k c Nov 28, 2015

I bought one from Lowes "harbor breeze. It's broken twice and the remote is temperamental. If it stops working take the battery cover off and hold down the learn button till it blinks then turn the main switch off and then on again is it should work. It is very temperamental often times find it necessary to hit a given button more than once to get the desired response. But this procedure works for me everytime. I think that because you often have to hit a button several times before say the light goes on that after a bit it gets confused and needs to be reset. Bry it it works great

BonneyRabbit Nov 14, 2015

Remote doesn't work; therefore nothing works!

BonneyRabbit Nov 14, 2015

my remote doesn't work, therefore NOTHING works!

BonneyRabbit Nov 14, 2015

I have the same problem with my remote; neither the light nor fan work, no matter how I configure each, neither works. Would you please inform me how I can replace the remote? At no charge to me? I would very much appreciate it. Thanks, Bonney Greeley:118 Pullman Rd., Charleston, WV, 25312: 304/347-4159:
    [email protected]

• Al
    Alannco Nov 06, 2015

We purchased a Crosswinds II ceiling fan with remote in July 2015 and had it installed. It worked fine for about 2 months and then the light would not turn on or off! Since this is the light above the dining table, we had to move a lamp to read the newspaper, etc. We called and got another remote and paid a licensed electrician to come and fix it. He said the remote pack had failed and replaced it with the one we had.
    It worked fine until about 2 weeks ago and now we cannot turn anything on or off. The lights do not work at all and the fan is set on medium (I think) and won't turn on or off. Since this unit is hardwired to the electrical system without a switch we can't turn off the fan. We have another electrician coming today to replace the remote pack again. I talked to Lowes and had to get after them to do anything about the issues. They finally switched out the remote pack for me - they can send the whole fan back to the manufacturer without any issues - why give me a hard time to get another remote pack. If this does not fix the issues permanently, will purchase a different brand of fan and take this one back (box or not!).

• Jb
    Jb79 Oct 10, 2015

You don't need a new remote sometimes the current remote you have one of the toggle switches gets moved then the module inside the fan wipes out the connection all you have to do while your power switches are on is to reset your toggle button where the battery is on the back of the remote to the appropriate code and then hit the learn button press it in for a few seconds until your fan beeps and lights up this happened to me when my two-year-old took the remote battery lid off and played with the buttons so I just easily reset it saved me a lot of trouble dealing with the stores or trying to return or buy an expensive universal remote

• El
    Eliot Beaman Aug 03, 2015

My remote stopped working too.
    I opened the battery compartment to find a LEARN button.
    I turned on and off power to the fan then pressed the LEARN button the light flashed, then the fan was working again.
    The learn or reset button needs to be pressed within 30sec after the power to the fan comes back on.

• Cz
    czwerling Jul 21, 2015

First thing I did was spray Electronic Contact Cleaner onto the contact plate reachable through the battery compartment and it successfuly returned the remote to complete working condition. I always use the contact cleaner before anything else when a switch is involved at home or in the car.

• Ba
    Barb and Tim Matney Jul 20, 2015

I have 6 Harbor Breeze ceiling fans in my home. They are all identical with the palm leaf blades. We have an open floor plan home, so they are visible from one another. 3 days before the 4th of July one 2 of these fans fell from cathedral ceilings . One fell while we were gone and the other was only hanging by 1 screw in the plate that covers the electrical box. As soon as my husband removed the screw the fan fell from the weight of it and almost knocked him off a 12' ladder. The braces in the ceiling that holds the down rods broke. The one that fell in my kitchen damaged my Quartz countertops and busted the glass modules on my slide in down draft range.All 6 fans have been discontinued and so has the range. I have contacted Harbor breeze which sent me to Lowes Corporate which sent me to the local store which is now sending me to SRS. Pass the buck. Faulty parts are faulty parts. We don't swing on the fans, they were installed correctly, they just broke. It would have been all the same if I was having a holiday dinner for the 40 members of my family and it had fallen and injury one or several of them. Lowes don't seem to think they are responsible, but I sincerely feel that this is not the first incident they have had with this weak bracket. Of course getting them to admit that it could have possibly been a faulty part engineered by them would be impossible. I am changing my Home center to Home Depot and don't intend to buy from them personally or professionally ever again. Why do they have insurance? Pay to repair the damage, apologize for the destruction it caused to my house and keep a customer that has 2 separate accounts with them.

• Ro
    Ron E Moore Jul 08, 2015

The electrical power goes out frequently in Indianapolis and when it does my fans stop working. I have to flip the wall switch that is connected to the fan off and on hundreds of times while constantly pushing a button on the remote. Finally something happens and the fan and the light starts working again. Apparently there is a circuit board in the fan that is being affected when the power goes out, and until it resets the fan and the light won't work. Is this a common problems with these fans and is there a fix for it?

• Mc
    mcgolfer3 Jun 21, 2015

I added Harbor Breeze (universal) remotes to all my fans when I first purchased them and all have worked fine for 6 years. Recently the one fan that came with a remote (no dip switches) started having problems with the light control and the light would only come on sporadically and have a 'strobe' light blinking. I tried resetting the original remote, but the lights still did not work although the fan continued to work. I bought a new remote ($30 at Lowes) and it was very easy to program and now everything works great. I wish they would sell a replacement remote control separately without the housing. I will suggest this to the HB company. Overall, I have been very satisfied with my fans and remotes. Like anything else parts need to be replaced periodically and products usually have a guarantee or warranty for a certain period of time.

• Ba
    baskhana May 17, 2015

I have the same problem. Didn't use it much and then with the warm weather here have been trying to use. I am renting this house so can't do much. This fan has the pull toggles but they won't work either. If the weather wasn't going back and forth from hot to chilly, I would have left it on.

I can reach the damn thing using a step stool but can't figure out what to do. I took the battery out hoping it would reset to not using the remote. But it still won't turn on. After reading these postings, it seems this fan is NOT a good thing. I will remember this if I ever need to buy a fan. The Army has a motto: KISS + kiss it simple stupid

• La
    LarrySal May 16, 2015

My Harbor Breeze fan stopped working also. I assume it is the remote control or receiver, as I verified that there is no problem with the power supply. That this fan stopped working is a good thing, I suppose because about 4 months after I installed it, it began to make a clicking sound whenever it ran at sppeds other than low. I am not going to waste my time fixing this piece of scrap. Instead I will replace it with a reliable brand.

• Ca
    Cadcmmngs Apr 15, 2015

We have a brand new Harbor Breeze fan installed on our 12 foot ceiling (so it won't be easy to work on it). The remote worked once and has never worked again. The light on the remote is on when I touch a button, but nothing happens. I can control the light with a wall switch but I can't turn off the fan. Super frustrating!

• Gi
    GIJANED Apr 07, 2015

Remove the battery cover and down inside there is a small button. Hold the button until the light on the remote goes off, hold until light comes back on. Use the remote to turn light off and then on. It will then work for the fan and light. The remotes seem to lose their memory and this resets it. Good luck it worked for two of mine that went out at same time probably due to loss of power during storm.

• Do
    doityourself Dec 03, 2014

Posting by Andrew on page one 24th Aug 2008 is the solution! Thanks Andrew!

• Wa
    Wayvryder Oct 27, 2014

My remote to my Harbor Breeze fan stopped working. I pulled the batteries, cleaned the battery case contacts, opened the remote and cleaned the contact pads to the batteries inside. Put new batteries in and remote is back to working.

• Ne
    Never ever ever again Oct 26, 2014

Biggest pieces of ### ever. I want to smash the freaking remote up against the wall.

• Sp
    splask Oct 07, 2014

My light works but very dim don't know what to do please can anyone help I know bulb is good because it is working dim

• 30
    302guy Oct 03, 2014

Factory battery is cheap. Buy a good battery. Next when u open the battery compartment there us a button that says" learn". This is a reset button, press and hold for 10 seconds. Remote should start working immediately.