Menu
Gumtree
reviews & complaints

Gumtree
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

313 complaints
12 resolved 301 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Gumtree. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
F
5:07 am EST

Gumtree - events coordinator assistant

I have placed an advert on Gumtree regarding the offering of an events coordinator assistant position...
After meeting with the various applicants i had employed 2 suitable people...
It has now been a month later and iam still receiving calls from applicants on a daily basis requesting for the job position as it has been placed on Indeed (Without my consent)

Its really frustrating as i do not have the time nor the patience to say the same thing to every person that calls .."The job position has already been fulfilled"... It is also a time waster to those applicants...

I would really appreciate if the advert got removed...

I hope i can be assisted in this regard

6:24 am EST

Gumtree - can not post my add

Add Ref:[protected] dated 4.3.16.
I have tried to post an add on gumtree, but they keep on deleting it without any good reason or explanation. There is no way of contacting their support team to complain about it via email. Also, I have never received an email from them explain the reason why it keeps on happening. I believe their postal address is fake and their phone number will only charge a large amount of money, if you ring them.
Can you please look in to it. Their website is a scam as some people pay for their adds and they still get removed automatically.
You can contact me on [protected]@hotmail.com.
Resolution: I want their website to become genuine again and let people post their adds without worrying it will be removed or charged unfair amount of money, which will never be refunded as you can not contact them directly.
Thank you in advance.

5:33 pm EST

Gumtree - the worst website. totally scammers. charge you and remove your ad

I feel like I have to share with everyone my experience with this scam website.
I paid for an advert 12£ and once I finish payment and I try to check my advert, was automatic removed.
I contact them through their email address and they respond to me when I mentioned that I opened a dispute through paypal, saying to me that I have broke the rules.
How come I broke the rules since my advert goes automatic in removed section? They just have an automatic set-up to take the money from the people and ignore them total. They should be reported to have this website closed since so many people had more then 500 bad experience. Check trustpilot and sitejaber plus all review websites and see what people say about their experience with this website. Everyone had been RIP OFF by them.
I must say to you people, keep your money away from this scammers. Is the worst website I have ever use. Better use social media or other classifieds to advertise.

A
Feb 29, 2016 5:14 am EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Same happened to me few days ago, they took the payment from my debit card but my ad is deleted.
They say on their site they send an email to let people know why their ad was deleted, I got no email, just the one accepting the payment.
No contact email/phone on gumtree, no possibility to contact them at all, this site is a joke!

10:02 am EST

Gumtree - use of my mobile number to post an ad to rent out a unit.

I have been getting smses enquiring about a unit for rent which I don't own

I can't find a contact number or email for Gumtree which I could write to them to inform them and to do the needful to take the ad off and track down the advertiser.

Kindly help!

A
6:59 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Gumtree has forgotten why they were formed in the first place; to offer a service to the community. Their function for the last 7 years, in South Africa, has been to police and dictate to their clients. No wonder they keep on losing market share and will continue to do so until they don't exist anymore, with this attitude. We have 700 products controlled by...

V
9:05 am EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Gumtree - I have paid for advertisements that have not been posted and they have debited my account

I have paid for two ads in Gumtree London. One has not even been posted and in the other no messages are being sent to me.
In both cases they have debited my account
This is called stealing from people.
I have been unable to contact anybody in Gumtree.
The live chat is an automated machine that is not working
I have sent many emails and got no answer

U
Feb 10, 2015 9:27 am EST

Gumtree displayed my personal information from Google maps including my home address on ads. Im not registered on Gumtree and didnt place any ads ! Potential buyers of ad arrived at my home to look at vehicle which was advertised !

4:22 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have had 30 -40 calls and message regarding a jet ski sale on gumtree. I do not own a jet ski an have never been on to gumtree's site before. This person is using all of my details including my private number. I have tried to contact gumtree and can not get any numbers to contact them or even send a written complaint. I'm not sure what to do from here? Is the police even an option in this situation?

P
2:12 am EDT

Gumtree - Theft by deception

Gumtree australia processed payment of $20.98 from me, for additional services for a real estate ad I requested. I failed to take note of the transaction number and since they do not send email confirmation that data as far as I know is no longer available to me. Now for the sting... 24 hours later after complaining "cant find my ad" they tell me I cannot post an ad from an overseas server (I am overseas on assignment) this new information is not stated in their ad process but taking my money under false pretenses clearly is ok by them. Repeated complaints to get my money credited is met by..."thank you please provide your transaction number..."
How many others have been stung with small amounts which multiplied by 1000s gives gumtree a bonanza.
They do not have any contact information phone or address in australia only the faqs ehelp for good reason. They are counting on everyone just "going away"
Consumers beware of this company they have more in common with scam than a legitimate business.

N
9:49 am EDT

Gumtree - gumtree

It is very clear now that Gumtree is a rip off site! Clearly they are
crooks just looking to steal peoples money! I placed two paid
advertisements on there, in different categories, as I was trying to
establish which was the best category to advertise in. They took the
money for both ads, then a few days later deleted both adverts saying
that I had breached their rule that you can only have one advert per
item or service, etc., and that you can't have the same advert in more
than one category! I can understand this to an extent, especially with
free ads, to prevent people posting day after...

Apr 14, 2019 7:23 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Report them to Trading Standards everyone who was still charged must report them it’s being looked into

P
Oct 04, 2014 1:53 am EDT

I have a similar issue for which I will post a separate complaint. Gumtree should be blacklisted. They STEAL our money but because the amounts are small nothing get done except posts like this...they continue to laugh all the way to the bank as they collect from 1000s of consumers for a service which they did not provide.

J
12:52 pm EDT

Gumtree - lack of communication

Watch out - Gumtree have a policy now, where they will charge you if you sell more than 2 cars per year on thier site. The first 2 are free and then it's 15 GBP per car advert per year. The advert I placed earlier in the year was duplicated by Gumtree and I did not know about it until I went to sell my second car. I have told them I only placed one advert, but they refuse to admit there system can make an error, there words are "there is no way where an advert can be duplicated by the system", unbelievable ignorance and arrogance to simply believe they don't make mistakes. I have now asked for this to be escalated to a senior member of the customer service team, and am not holding my breathe that I will receive a response. STEER CLEAR AND DON'T USE THEM AS THEY ONLY BELIEVE ALL THEIR CUSTOMERS ARE LIARS...you have been warned...

X
Jun 03, 2016 8:37 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Hi it is long time dealing with gumtree but now it is taken
Over by eBay it has gone bad . They don't even try to resolve the problems
They don't care . Customer service is so bad
I think gumtree should be close down all the fake ads
Going on there as well as people trying to sell stolen goods
Gumtree doesn't worry till the time they are getting money out of it
I think now it is time we are fed up of gumtree and eBay and try some thing different
Then to buy from these site online and get our hard earn money taken away buy these
Looser why not google search and get the nearest shop address
And buy the things we want
As to save little amount of money on gumtree we are cheated
So join the hand and be aware
Google search for the items online and visit the store

4:49 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Saw an ad in Gumtree in regards to an Iphone 5s (located in Victoria and I live in Qld.) and agreed to pay to an account, promised to send the item with Australia Post, as soon as they know the money is transferred to their account, no contact anymore and the item never arrived. Please investigate I paid a lot of money ($550.00) for item I did not receive...

G
4:03 pm EST

Gumtree - customer service

Their customer service sucks. Try searching for how to complain on their website and see how far you get!. Their stupid autocheck routine deleted my ad for no valid reason. They admitted their mistake and reposted only for the stupid autobot to delete it again. And now they are ignoring my emails. They also promised to escalate my complaint to a manager and over four weeks on I have had no contact. They are arrogant, pig headed and have no genuine interest in resolving issues. IRRESPECTIVE OF WHETHER YOU ARE A BUYER OR SELLER, MY ADVICE IS TO TREAT THEM AS HIGH RISK AND USE CAUTION, ESPECIALLY WHERE MONEY IS CONCERNED! DON'T GIVE THEM ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO LOSE!

In the meantime I am on the lookout for viable alternatives. Let's share and see if we can give someone else a chance. Someone mentioned www.buysellanything.co.uk/‎ so I will give them a try

J
Jun 17, 2014 10:27 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I drove to Brisbane yesterday 17th june2014 and made arrangements to buy a van .. I took van for a drive and said i wanted to buy van and we shook hands and my husband and I drove home .
We were no longer home and the guy re-advertised the van for one thousand more and took more photos of van from the place I left it on footpath.
We made arrangements to pick van up on Monday 19th June
This van is from Western Australia and wanted us to just transfer into our name with out road worthy as Western Australia don't have one
He said it was his friends car and in his friends name.
My concern is he has done the wrong thing by us and he might do it to someone else

9:17 am EDT

Gumtree - paid adverts deleted

It is very clear now that Gumtree is a rip off site! Clearly they are crooks just looking to steal peoples money! I placed two paid advertisements on there, in different categories, as I was trying to establish which was the best category to advertise in. They took the money for both ads, then a few days later deleted both adverts saying that I had breached their rule that you can only have one advert per item or service, etc., and that you can't have the same advert in more than one category! I can understand this to an extent, especially with free ads, to prevent people posting day after day to stay at the top of the listings, but when you actually PAY for the service and then they don't deliver, then I call that fraud! In the searches I have carried out it is clear that they are continually doing this to people. This site needs removing from the Internet and being dealt with by the police.

May 04, 2016 4:07 pm EDT

We placed an ad to look for a new member of staff. They took £24.99 then immediately removed my ad. I had no views / responses as they removed my ad. I tried to contact them many times with no success.
The ad number was [protected]. It was placed on Edinburgh gumtree.
My email is colin@developmentdirect.co.uk
My number is [protected]

Feb 23, 2016 1:00 am EST

I am looking for a new job and I am using Gumtree to look around.

What frustrates me is that Gumtree allows multiple of the SAME ads be posted over and over and over again.

All they change is the "published in" part.

OLX does not allow duplicate adverts in any way which is convenient for the users.

7:25 am EDT

Gumtree - no contact!

Hello I would like to make a unfortunate complaint! I recently over 24 hours ago placed an advertisment with Gumtree-( whom I respect and enjoy using there site) And was told that my ad was active! So like any other customer, I waited for my ad to appear.And confirmation of my ad being active! I did not receive my confirmation email? I then contacted Gumtree and asked why? No response! I contacted them again!, no response! So I placed another ad, And once again nothing happened! Do not understand what has happened? I have sent another two emails to Gumtree, and have had nothing back! They stipulate that they will respond with in 24 hours! It has been well over that. I am upset that I have to make this complaint, But would really just like to know what is going on? and why I cant place an ad with them. Thank you for your time.

B
1:38 pm EST

Gumtree - fraud

I been posting adverts with Gumtree as a freelancer All that you can get is spammers or un payers I been trying to get recently work on programming side I got responses from fake organizations as well fake companies Gumtree is a fake company now they just dont let me to post any adverts any more I emailing them and asking them why is that but all they come up with is if they can push up my adverts even so adverts never appear on listing in gumtree I was doing last year for one company social media website I never got paid from that company they own me right now over £300.000 and I dont think I will see that money ever from them got another client for system engineering was robus based system integration full project value reached £90.000 didnt get paid eather I guess I am another angry user of that ### website Gumtree whatever you get from them is all spam you dont get anything out of the gumtree because of gumtree my business is on hold right now advice to anyone out there dont post on gumtree they all freaking wankers there find some other sites where is safer I hope gumtree get closed down for that

S
6:45 am EST

Gumtree - missed connections

I submitted a missed connection about a stranger I met who I genuinely interacted with romantically and had not seen in a long time hoping that my stranger might see the ad and get back in touch with me. Gumtree deleted my ad. They sent me an email saying that they deleted it because it contained adult content and I should read the terms of service more closely next time before I submit an ad, and I should post an ad on their affiliated adult dating community RSVP. I read carefully several times through the terms of service and it said nothing about prohibited adult content. I wrote them two complaint letters explaining that my ad concerned a specific individual I had actually met rather than a general need to meet a romantic partner; that there was nothing "adult" or even explicitly romantic about my ad, it was entirely inoffensive and suitable for any child to read; and in any case most of the submissions to missed connections pages in general and their page in particular are of a romantic nature, so that the way they treated me was unfair or a mistake. I wrote that I appreciate that the service is free but that they should not offer this service if they do not accept ads like mine. They wrote back to me to say that they are no longer accepting any content of a romantic or adult nature, regardless of whether it is a missed connection or not. But I have looked on their missed connections page since, and ads have been posted containing explicit romantic content. Much more clear than mine: to the effect "i thought you were hot", for example.

I feel very upset and angry. I feel that their staff made personal judgments about me based on the content of my ad. They know nothing about me or my life, what I have experienced in my life or who I am. They do not have degrees in psychology, they are simply monkies at typewriters. They are not more qualified to make judgments about me and the decisions I make than I am. I feel ridiculed and humiliated.

What a horrible staff. You are a bunch of jerks. Why can't people just be kind and compassionate? What harm was my ad doing? I wasn't hurting anyone. People should just leave other people alone. They have no idea what other people go through.

Jun 29, 2014 10:27 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I advertised nearly 3 years on gumtree with nearly the same ad and suddenly they claimed my ad does't ahere to gumtree rules or conditions .When I asked to be a bit more specific I received absolutely no reply ! And this does't happend only once but 4times and I did't even received a penny back from the money I paid for my ads .
I'm so angry.I also tried to ring them ...The phone rang for nearly one whole hour and no answer !
It really is digusting what they can get away with !

Jun 29, 2014 10:22 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Yes, the same thing happend to me and several other people !
They only took my money and that was is, no explanation or anythings...
I'm also very angry and fuming !

E
4:25 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I advertised one puppy for sale. My ad was removed. I was assured it would be reinstated. It was not. They have accused me of being a commercial breeder. I have since sold this ONE puppy for £550 > I paid £600 plus vet fees. Could someone get them to at least admit they were wrong and apologise. I have sold this puppy through pets4homes. I am absolutely livid.

4:23 am EDT

Gumtree - scam add

Home > melbourne city > melbourne cbd > phones > mobile phones > ad id [protected]

Below is a add by a scammer, advert doesnt high light that phone is damaged or has been opened.

Hi I have a iphone 4s 32 gb unlocked with accesories
Perfect condition has had a case and screen protector on it the whole time
Basically brand new
Not sure if it has warranty or not
Its unlocked to all networks

If interested please ring [protected]

Sep 23, 2012 4:10 am EDT

This is why I would rather create my ads and then share it to my personal social network contacts instead, as we are more likely to trust each other in our dealings. There's this website, www.iBuyWeSell.com, that lets me do this real quick.

L
2:25 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I posted an ad in Gumtree two days ago. Nobody could see it because it has spent more than 48 hours processing (once it was paid). I tried to contact with them and it´s completely impossible. I wrote 3 mails to its customer service and 10 messages from its live chat (when it worked). I never received an answer. If you can avoid Gumtree, do it.

B
2:29 pm EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Gumtree - refusal to speak or explain their decision

gumtree ban me from their site wihtout a genuine reaosn citing i continously break their rules. I somehow managed to do this overnight whilst sleeping. No explanation and no answers to what rules i have continuosly alleged to have broken. they refuse to tell me or communicate. they act unlawfully and are supposed to be providing a servcie to the community that very same community that made gumtree what it is today. their kack of respect and lack of facilities to contact them is appalling. they are running this site without any governing body or rules to adhere to. they say i broke rules but i think it is them that have broken rules and they will not allow me the opportunity of an explanation as to what rules i am supposed to have broken. they are making up rules to suit themselves. they managed to do this to me and my wifes accounts simultaneously and for the same reasons. I have placed ads on their site for a while now but all of a sudden i am breaking rules continuosly after many ads without breaking any rules at all. they are a joke outfit who are allowed to do what they want and no one will challenge them therefore i have searched many places until i found this site to raise my concerns

Feb 22, 2013 4:44 pm EST

I have seen many adverts recently on gumtree promoting their local businesses, as gumtree website have stated, you are allowed to post any advertisement as long as you do not breach the gumtree terms and conditions, so i have advertised my own business once a month indicating the services i provide in my shop nothing more and nothing less, but the gumtree have banned my account and they refused the state what the reason was, if there was anything illegal that i have done so on gumtree i wish them to point that out for me .
I dont think thats too much to ask .

Feb 22, 2013 4:36 pm EST

the exact same thing happend with me, all i did was promoting my business on gumtree few times with no intention of selling any product whatsoever, their service is absolutely crap, there was no genuine reason citing as you have mentioned to remove my add and ban me from their website, they simply want me to pay for the service that i want and theres nothing else that i can think why they would delete my add and ban me from there .

Gumtree contacts