Green Dot Grant Programbad check

S

Click on the link to see the full complaint

• Md
    MD, Maryland Jun 25, 2009

I received the same type of check and letter, but I chose to do research on line first. As soon as I typed in GreenDot Grant Program, rip-off review had postings showing immediately. We could all use extra money, but not money that we have to pay for. That defeats the purpose of it being extra. Please, everyone check things out first. I am a widowed mother of five and could use everything extra.

• Ki
    KIWI73703 Jun 15, 2009

I just received the same thing in the bank. I was very skeptical, because I never known for a grant office to give you FREE money and you have to send them commission. After discussing this with my sister she informed me that it sounded like a fraud! I was telling my husband it can't be real there are too many typos in the "business" letter. No phone number was found. I'm glad I checked this out before I took it to the bank. I will take this letter to the police station - or where do I take it. I hope they catch this Linda Spalding ~ BE CAREFUL EVERYONE!

• Cu
    curious Jun 14, 2009

IF IT HAS- the bank will handle it.

• Cu
    curious Jun 14, 2009

Ok- what I have yet to hear-
    Has anyone had the check returned by their bank as "UNPAID" or FRAUDULENT???

• shoelady2oo Jun 14, 2009

There is no real Linda Spaulding. That's a fake name the scammers use. For those who fell for it, do repay the banks. You can be charged with passing bad checks and fraud.

Why oh why would someone send you free money anyway? There is no Santa Claus!!

As PT Barnum said, there's a sucker born every minute and these scammers know it.

Ay yi yi! This is such an ollllllllllld scam.

Why didn't any of you check with the issuing bank? You would have seen the checks were stolen and forged. I'll bet the signature was scrawled too.

• Bl
    bljd26 Jun 14, 2009

I too have received one of these checks...and it is like most of you have said...typos and Usbank kind of faded...it does have 2 fax #'s on this letter attached to the check...[protected] or [protected]...I was also skeptical and am so glad that I checked this out before taking it to the bank tomorrow...I have 2 kids as well and sure could have used the money as we all could at this time however, I again am so thankful that I didn't fall for this scam...I hope this helps others as much as it did me...

• Co
    cole Jun 14, 2009

I also received a $965.21, with $19, 034.79 on the way IF I send Linda Spaulding $402.20. There is something about a fax number and a Greendot Money pak. i am supposed to go buy one from a store, load it with the $402.20, then fax her the card number or activation number. The fax number I am supposed to Fax it to is [protected] or [protected]. Maybe with these numbers the authorities can find her.

• Br
    Brenda Jun 12, 2009

I received my check today and I felt like it was to good to be true. I have been trying to find out the true nature of this check all afternoon. Thank You all, now my family will be safe from this scam. I'm going to the post office first thing in the morning.

• Te
    Teresa Kilpatrick Jun 07, 2009

I recieved a 977.00 check from the same Linda Spaulding said get a money pack send her back 4.04% which is 404.00 then fax her back the card numbers money pak numbers in other words. Then I will get the 9, 000.00 something back by airmail in 24 hours the check was written on a US Bank check The US was faded and some typos in the letter that was attached to the check.
    I looked it up on the internet and ran across the comments page here I am turning the check over to my local Police Station hopefully they will find her and put bullitins out on her for her arrest we want some justice done all of us on here and all over the world it is our information that is getting used in a lot of these scams and its not right and we all need to do something about her I will see what I can find out when I take it in I will have them look it up on the internet thanks for the info on this. Thanks Teresa Kilpatrick EVERYONE THAT GETS THIS KIND OF A CHECK PLEASE CHECK IT OUT ON THE INTERNET FIRST THERE IS NO NUMBER OR RETURN ADDRESS ON THE ENVELOPE PLEASE TURN IT OVER TO THE POLICE OR SHREIFF IT IS A FAKE A FRAUD AND A PHONY CHECK PLEASE DO NOT CASH IT YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY IT BACK AND COULD FACE CHARGES. THANKS TERESA KILPATRICK ANOTHER SMART NOT TO FALL FOR IT VICTIM OF THIS LINDA SPAULDING.

• Aw
    awyattman Jun 06, 2009

Dave M, the bank will expect you to repay that money.

If you have the money, give it to the bank, and that will probably be the end of it.

however if you don't have the money, they will probably call the police.

I'd sell whatever I could to have that money to give them when they ask for it. You don't want a criminal record at this time for fraud. You will never be able to find a decent job for the rest of your life.

• Dl
    dlove Jun 06, 2009

today i recieved the us bank check to be deposited in the amount of 975.25 but i had to pay the sender linda spaulding 4.03% 403.00 total.. i knew that this was to good to be true.. the envelope didnt have a return address and the letter didnt have a phone number. im not going to lie i thought just maybe this could be true so i got online and typed in greendot grant program.. and so here i am!!lol its not a funny situation because i am a single 31 yr old with 2 children i could have really used that money.. but i would much rather investigate then get in trouble... the way you can help is send emails with this info to all your email contact list and help the people that you no... goodluck to the people who cashed the checks and congrats on the ones who didnt!!!

• Da
    Dave M Jun 05, 2009

i got scamed... im not going to get in trouble will i?? i cashed the check and used portion of it to pay back bills??can anyone help me out on suggestion on what to do??? i thought it was lagit even more when my bank cashed it...by all means ill pay the bank back but how is this gonna hurt me??

mary Jun 04, 2009

I RECIVED A CHECK FROM THE SAME PEOPLE. ASKING ME TO DO THE SAME THINK. I KNEW FROM THE START IT WAS A FAKE. I HOPE THEY CAN GET STOP BEFORE SOME FOOL OUT THERE SENDS THEM THEIR MONEY. MARY FROM FLORIDA. THANK YOU THEY SHOULD ALL CHECK THE WEB SITE FRIST.

• Sc
    scdukeboy Jun 04, 2009

Thanks for the comments! I just recieved the same US Bank check. I knew it was to good to be true...DANG it!!!

• Je
    jenabbott Jun 04, 2009

I received a check today written on US bank. The logo is blurry or distorted looking. It is written in the amount of $977.15 and I'm asked to pay $404.00 in commission to (like everyone else) Linda Spaulding. The letter even names the grant is from one of their connections-Cornell Enterprises. If I hadn't watched a show about this type of thing with my husband a couple of months ago, having 6 kids, I would've fell for it hook, line, and sinker.

• Wo
    worried Jun 01, 2009

Julie, I totally agree with you because it is completely sad that we have people in the world who prefers to take from people, instead of getting whatever they need through hard work like you and myself...

• Ju
    Julie May 29, 2009

I also received one these checks. My Husband works with the US Postal Service and states that you all need to take your checks to your local Post Office and have them send it the Postal Inspectors. If all of us do this maybe we can catch up with Linda Spaulding.

• Ru
    runningbear May 29, 2009

I recieved a check for 975.00 and I was to send 401.00 by fax. I did this. The check said Offical Check. I did not realize this was a scam. I cash the check and I did not recieve the 9, 024.50. Everything look legal. Now I'm going to try to find Linda Spaulding. I hope and pray that it doesn't catch up with me. I need your prayers.

• Bi
    biznsgal May 28, 2009

Anyone know who to report this to? I just got one in the mail today myself.

ChadL May 28, 2009

I as well recieved a check asking for 400.00 dollars to be returned to Linda Spaulding and then my next check of 9, 025.00 would be first class air mailed to me. The spelling on this letter was atrocious. BUY was spelled as BY and everytime FROM came up in the letter it was spelled FORM. US Bank symbol was faded and skewed as well. Be aware of this scam. It could cost you big time if cashed.

• Kl
    KLaFragola May 27, 2009

I just received one for $4, 869 asking me to give Linda Spaulding $973.80. This is exceptionally suspicious to anyone. I did not apply for the grant either, and mine was written on Key Bank, not US Bank. Regardless, I don't do anything without having a phone number for the supposed company that is sending me large amounts of money. Since a contact phone number was not given, I will certainly take this to the bank and file fraud charges.

BE CAREFUL PEOPLE!!!