Global Discovery Vacations Logo

Global Discovery Vacations

Having problems with Global Discovery Vacations?

5360 College Blvd, Ste 200
SatClosed
SunClosed

Complaints & Reviews

vacation scam!

I responded to a news paper advertisement in 2012. Promising me a free cruise if I attended a brief seminar...

substandard vacation accommodations

In 2007 My husband and I purchased the Global Discovery Vacation 5 star package. It was a high pressure...

membership for travel

We were not told that we could not cancel our membership - this was in the fine print. The day we went to the...

fire sales are usually scam

Recently my wife and i attended one fo the sale presentation, during which they presented the membership at...

overpromising / lack of value

Global Discovery Vacations (GDV) is a travel company, or club, that offers a variety of services. To join...

watch out

If you are considering enrolling into Global Discovery Vacations, please reconsider. My ex-fiance enrolled and then filed bankruptcy and now somehow I am stuck with almost 3, 000 to pay. Of my monthly payment of $50.00, only $22.00 goes towards the principle balance. There is a new "finance charge" of $28.41 added each month on top of my monthly balance. The interest rate is outlandish and they will not allow me to cancel, even though I have never once used this product. I've been paying for almost three years and I cannot stand to see $50.00 go nowhere each month. It is not even paying a balance.

If anyone is interested is organizing a class action lawsuit, please email me at [protected]@yahoo.com.

• Rd
    rdeard Apr 22, 2013

I am ashamed that we also fell for GDV's line. The customer service is terrible and the vacations options they offer are terrible. Often there are additional charges to what were represented in the presentations. The properties offered are shabby and in isolated locations, meaning that you have to pay many more charges (taxis, etc.)to use them. We schmucks! -paying over $9000 for this scam, plus reservation request fees with no delivery on a decent property to book; also the freebies offered at the beginning were not free. When we registered for the airline trip, it became impossible to book (unavailable dates even though there we were months ahead with our request) and paperwork came back several times asking for additional booking fees of $50 (we paid that fee twice and still did not get our flights!) YES, IF THERE IS A CHANCE TO JOIN A CLASSACTION LAWSUIT, WE ARE READY!
    Rose
    [email protected]

incentive program

Too soon to tell if the Global Discoveries Vacations is a scam but the incentive program to get you in the door definitely is. We were told we would get 2 free airline tickets. The word "free" is relative - by the time you jump through all the hoops and correspondence necessary for limited destination and travel times it will cost you $134 dollars per ticket! We've given up on the process and have contained our loss to the first $50 hoop. I'm still hopeful that the vacation club itself is not a similar scam - time will tell. Global Discoveries should know that this gives consumers a bad first impression - I could not in good faith, ever recommend this program to family and friends bases on this bad initial experience.

scam

My husband and I went to there office to see what they had to offer and everything seemed fine at first. We are working on buying a house so we didn't want anything on our credit and they said they had a deal that would work for that. So we signed up for a 1 year trial membership and did not give our SS# because nothing would be put on our credit. The membership is $698 with monthly payments of $53. We had planned to sign for a full membership after the year was up but then I checked my husbands credit. On his credit is a personal loan from them. I called them to find out what was going on because this was not suppose to be there from what we were told. A women said she would look at everything and call me back. Today I got a call back and was told that the only way to get off his credit is to pay it off. Thats when we knew this place is nothing but scammers. They were able to put stuff on my husbands credit without a SS# and were no help with fixing the problem. I will be reporting them to the BBB and the Attorney Generals Office once I pay this crap off. Take my word on this and DONT SIGN WITH THEM. I read some bad stuff on them but did not listen to what I read and now we are paying for it.

can't get where you want or the dates

i have been a member since 2003, and have been a concienge member for quite a few years, which allowes me to book a vacation 13 months ahead, and I still cannot book the place and date i want. giving them 6 weeks leaway. It is like a fight to the death. it was ok for a while and then it started to get really bad. I sent in a request in june of 2011 for july of 2012, and then they call you with a totaly different property, so i called my agent and told her no, i did not want the property, had to leave a message, of course, so it is now october 2011 and i had not heard from her so i e-mailed her, and she just said that she never got a call so she put me somewhere in space, and silly me, i thought she knew what i wanted and she would call me and book my vacation, well after i e-mailed her she is telling me that she has nothing in either hotel for a span of availability of 6 weeks. I then try to get on the internet and i am looking for myrtle beach, and it like a maze. the information does not tell you who many bedrooms which is the most imortant. the other thing is that the property she just offered me is a MESS.going to M.B. every year we started checking out the properties so we knw. All i ever hear is that it is a popular place, well then they need to have more properties.
well i could go on forever but there is no sence.

EStout Jan 05, 2012

Hello, my name is Eric Stout. I am the Operations Manager for GCI. I would be more than happy to discuss the benefits of our travel club membership with you. Please feel free to call me on my direct line at (913) 660-7780.

properties unable

Every time we tried to book a property, it was unable. We tried for 6 months to book in Florida in 2010 and finally gave up. As far as we are concerned we wasted $1500, which we could hardly afford being retired. They wanted an additional $380+ each year just to keep membership active, which we did not pay after being very frustrated with booking properties. They indicated that they were associated with RCI, another vacation club, but we were never able to book any property with RCI either. Stay away from this company!

Ms. Cooper

disappointed & embarrassed

My husband and I have been members of Global Discovery Vacation Club for more than a year now and we still haven't paid even half of the $3700 that we signed up for. The interest rate is ridiculous and we don't even have anything to show for our frustration.

The free trip that we were given for showing up at the presentation never materialized. The resorts we wanted to visit were never available at the time we needed.

I am more than a little bit embarrassed to have been taken in this way. I should have known better and not believed 50% of what they were selling. Now we have to live with this monthly payment without any benefit to us.

Don't get suckered in to this company! It is not what it was advertised to be.

flossiehannah

Hello, my name is Eric Stout. I am the Operations Manager for Global Connections. I would be more than happy to assist you with your membership. Please call me on my direct line (913) 660-7780.

Keebler550 Aug 27, 2013

My wife and I attended a seminar this past Friday (8/23/13). We think we may have made a haste decision and now would like out of our proposed contract. I understand we have 3 business days to do so. Please advise as to how cancel before the deadline.

Keebler550 Aug 27, 2013

Thanks for the info. I believe I am still within my "3 business day" reconsideration window as stated on the back of the contract. I intend to mail a letter through ordinary US mail, have one certified, and one e-mailed. Hopefully, this cancellation attempt wil be sucessful.

EStout Aug 27, 2013

Keebler550

If you signed up on Friday then the third business day is Wednesday. If you have any questions you are more than welcome to contact us and a member services representative would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. Other than that NoThankQ is pretty much spot on. We do recommend some sort of certified mail.

Global Connections

Keebler550 Aug 27, 2013

Thanks Eric! I will take that advice and ensure the cancellation request is submitted in writing today, with one version being certified and the other e-mailed.

Can you provide the email and mailing address right now, since I am not home and would like to initiate this process as quickly as possible?

Upon receipt of my cancellation request, I will be requesting confirmation the request was received timely and the memmbership terminated effetcive immediately.

Thank you very much for responding so timely. Your customer service is greatly appreciated.

Keebler550 Aug 27, 2013

Not sure if my last post registered or not.

Thanks Eric! I will take your advise and mail one request cretifed and email the other.

Since I am not home, can you provide the email address and address so I can initiate this process ASAP.

Thanks for your asssistance (and NoThankQ).

Eric: Your quick response and customer service is really appreciated.

misrepresenters

We went to a presentation for the incentives and liked the concept, but we didn't buy. I like to investigate on my own first. Sure glad I waited. The incentives we were supposed to get were not as represented. If they lie about the small stuff, what do you think will happen after they get your money. Don't get into bed with these guys unless you like getting screwed.

• Ps
    pstepyn Sep 24, 2011

I also went to their presentation for the incentives but did not buy in.Sure am glad I didn't.Could not find any info on company before attending because you are contacted and appt. set up by a third party.After getting home with thier name I Googled them and WOW!Just as I suspected-a huge scam!Not even going to try to cash in the "free" airline tkts.Read the restrictions & "service charges" and you'll realize its another attempt to rip you off.Stay away!!!

regeit and pstepyn

Thank you for your recent posts. The promotions that you mention are provided by marketing companies. I would be happy to put you in touch with a representative that would be able to answer any questions that you have about the promotions you received for attending the presentation. Of course if you have any other questions about the about our travel membership, I would be more than happy to answer them. My phone number is (913) 660-7780.

• Tm
    tmw9073 Aug 02, 2012

Nothing but a scam. I am so disappointed with this company. I am filing a complaint with the Ohio Attorney General's office. GDV is responsible for the promotional company they hire to get people to come to their presentation. They can claim it's a third party all they want. They will have to explain it to a judge, because I'm also going to sue for my money back. The member's service is a joke, the "travel agency" is a joke, the consumer product discounts are a joke. When I called to get discounts on events in Cleveland, I first told they had NO discounts available for any of my requests. And then I was told to google for discounts. This is not what I paid for.

EStout Aug 22, 2012

Tony

I would be happy to help you with the membership. You can call me directly at (913) 660-7780.

Global Connections, Inc

terrible customer service

Have only booked one vacation but every time I call the membership hotline I get forwarded to a VM and it takes at least a day to answer any questions I might have. Plus the majority of the paperwork that they give you is chalked full of BS making it difficult to find any kind of relevant information. So it wasn't surprising that I didn't realize that you have to sign up a second time to use the concierge service until less than two weeks before my vacation. Well it apparently takes 7-10 business days to get your membership activated - fat lot of good that does me now. When I called and finally got ahold of someone I was told that it was absolutely impossible to activate membership over the phone. Apparently it is exceedingly difficult to write down my membership number, name, and phone number (that is ALL that is on the mail in card). Overall I would give the customer service department a failing grade.

EStout Sep 22, 2010

Mooklen

Please call me and I would be happy to address your concerns. I would also review the membership benefits with you so you know how to best take advantage of its benefits. My direct number is (913) 660-7780.

• Bl
    Blog Master Sep 22, 2010

If anybody needs assistance with the Global Discovery Vacations membership. please email me @ [email protected]
    Global is a great company with thousands of very satisfied users. Rated A+ by the BBB. If you have an issue with the gifts offered by promo marketing companies, please contact the marketing company that contacted you, Global does not have an internal marketing department. I can help you!!!
    Thanks and Godspeed.
    Michael C.
    www.globalreppro.com
    [email protected]

mspradling

Hello, my name is Eric Stout. I am the Operations Manager for Global Connections. I am so sorry to hear about your experience. I would be more than happy to assist you with your membership. Please call me on my direct line (913) 660-7780.

EStout Mar 01, 2012

Nhall and Lisa

Hello, my name is Eric Stout. I am the Operations Manager for Global Connections. I would be happy to help either one of you or at least point you in the right direction. Please give me a call at (913) 660-7780.

• Fo
    Footdoc111 Mar 12, 2013

My wife and I have traveled two to three times each year with Global. I have noticed the GLOBAL REPRESENTATIVES are extremely helpful. The representatives are better than when I first joined Global.

TRIPS
    Florence Italy
    Boyne Highlands Michigan two years...took grand daughters to ski school. (quality accommodations)
    Port Clinton Reef Club..very nice condo
    Napa...global found a unit for my wife and her daughter..they did not have units but provided one.
    Aruba...Our Medical resident daughter took three friends and had a glorious time.
    St Martin...great trip
    The Abacos...great trip..the condo management solved our issues quite nicely.
    Hilton Head three times
    Destin Florida

The thing you must do is request 120 days in advance. Or buy from excess inventory called expressways..
    Some expressways do not require star points...some are reduced price...

If you have a problem call Marcia in travel department...I have had nothing but good times. If there were any problems they were all resolved to my satisfaction. Steven and Michele

• Re
    Rene Gerrig Morin Feb 09, 2016

I was looking for a time share for June, to go out of state to our Son's wedding. They are not in an area where there are any timeshares...I checked several companies.
    Therefore, I went online...Just googled the town for Hotels. LESS money...anywhere for hotels...GREAT discount...I THINK NOT!
    HERE ARE EXAMPLES OF THREE HOTELS. ON THE left ARE THE PRICES I FOUND, NOT EVEN GOING THROUGH A DISCOUNT AGENCY. ON THE right, ARE GDV prices. I called and asked a travel agent @ GDV Why the prices I found were so much less expensive. Her Reply

huge scam

Global Discovery Vacations promises no less than 3 Star stays at condos globally (resort areas - not major cities) for a membership fee that is far less than buying a time share, but still thousands of dollars. We thought with a family of five that this would be a great way to travel to interesting places without having to pay resort prices. The problem is that these condos are not what they promised. We used our membership to stay at Club Cala des Palmas in Puerto Rico for our first trip. Our room was old, filthy, moldy. Everything was chipped, the grout on the tiled floors looked like they'd never been cleaned. I don't think anyone would rate it above 1 Star (the pool was okay, but not great). They claim that they will get you a better room, but judging from the age of this place - and we suspect all of their properties - we decided to cut our losses and stay at a hotel in San Juan. We left after one uncomfortable night. When I tried to terminate my membership for their failure to provide 3 Star accommodations, I was told that they won't give me my money back, but will give me my "points" back for another stay somewhere else. We were then offered our maintenance fee for free for the following year. Great. Now I can try to find another 1 - 2 star condo somewhere else. This is a scam and I hope someone organizes a class action lawsuit against GDV. We're definitely in to try and recover our membership fee.

• Ri
    Richard Wroblewski Oct 11, 2011

My wife and I are also victims of the Global Discovery Vacations scam that cost us $8, 900.00 to join in 2009. We have experienced all the complaints and disattisfaction that has been stated from others. In addtion to the travel and the other promotions that were promised to us never happened. I wrote a 3 page letter to Global, Mexican Paradise Getaways and Infinity Incentive Group and explained how disattisfied we are and request for a full refund and spoke with many representatives with no action taken. For the travel event we had to pay an additonal $350.00 for registration fees and whatever? I am in with the 3 companies at an approximate amount of $9, 250.00 and have not recevied any type of compensation or services that were promised. I would like to start a Class Action Lawsuit S.A.P. with the other unsatisfied customes!

GarfV

My name is Eric Stout. I am the Operations Manager for GCI. I would be happy to go over your travel membership with you. Please call me directly at (913) 660-7780.

Mr. Wroblewski

Thank you for your recent posts. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have about our travel membership. My phone number is (913) 660-7780. The promotions that you mentioned are provided by marketing companies. Unfortunately they are not fulfilled by GCI. If you have questions about the promotions, I would be happy to put you in touch with a representative that could answer these questions for you. Again, you are more than welcome to contact me directly so I can assist you.

fraud!

We too have been defrauded by this company-seems our salesman forgot to mention the part about the website only showing "examples" of places to go to-too bad they only show one place!! And then they want me to pay in advance for this ridiculous vacation. Plus th3e customer service dept, is very snotty and short with you when you complain.We need to stop them, I will take the advice of others and complain to the Federal Trade commission, did complain to BBB in Kanasas but that got me nowhere. Hope to see them close up shop soon and take their bait and switch sales approach to the poor house!

• Da
    david b brown Oct 13, 2011

I totally agree and am looking for a way to get out from under this contract. Up until this I was able to book my own vacations successfully and did travel quite often. With this contract and my monthly payment of $217 (of which only $117 goes toward debt and $100 goes to finance charges each month) it's hard to afford a vacation any more. Got to find a lawyer and get out of this contract. I've always trusted people and felt good about being trusted. What a sucker I was. This was the worst financal endevor that I've ever made. With the economic situation the way it is, not many of us are traveling these days. These people are making it bad for the vacationing industry. Mybe the sincere travel industry people could help us put these frauds out of business. I, for one would be glade to participate in the service that they had to offer if they did.

oster01 and Mr. Brown

• Re
    renrut1105 Jun 18, 2012

We also want out of this company...I've been told we can go "inactive, " but we want out completely!! We tried to cancel within the first couple of weeks & were told it was too late that out cancelation time was over. We finally got this paid for & thought we might actually use it, but like everyone else, they never have ANYTHING where we want to go & never at a time when we can get off work. Did you call this Eric Stout guy & if so, what is up with that? How on earth can we get this company out of business????

stay away

I guess i am one of the many who got this contract signed up with this company. I triEd to get one of their "Expressways" weeks in gatlinburg and they told me no cabins in the state of Tn available, however I googled and ther are tons of cabins available for the week i needed it. Then they quoted me a vehicle rental for $1000.00 approx and i did it on line for $848.00!!!. The certificate I got for my so called free 1/wk cruise at the very bottom said in small print it had to be redeemed in 21 days which are over already! Also they are only opened from Mon-Midday Sat only. i am very dissappointed, they said this was like a travel agency, however you have to submit the week you need by e-mail and they get back to you in 7-10 days and if they do not then you can contact them, is any travel agency so complicated to get to? i am very sorry i got in this mess, I have wasted a lot of money and they should not be able to scam more persons. I WILL NOT RECOMMEND THIS TO MY WORST ENEMIES.

EStout Jan 06, 2012

cmorejon3

misleading statements

High pressure sales tactics to purchase a new and improved kind of travel + buying club extraordinaire. Not...

unhappy with service and would like to get out of our contract

We are very un-happy with GDV and feel that everything we were told in the sales pitch was a lie. We were told that we could travel all over the world, hardly true it seems they have a few places mostly in the US and S. America. Told we could use two of our weeks if we wanted to book on short notice or during peak season, we couldn't find a place in Florida until next year no matter how many points we wanted to use. Worst of all we were told we got a discount on your membership because someone had just sold their membership back, yet after looking into the company after foolishly signing the contract we were told you could NOT sell your membership back. I have looked into the company and they do offer places to stay, however we feel that we were misled and lied to by te salesmen. The customer service has been a joke and even our "free" cruise we were promised is going to cost close to $10o. We are just very un-happy and would like to find a way to void our contract. I am preparing a letter for Tom Lyons and other execs as well as a couple of news websites. Please if anyone has had any luck getting out of wasting their $ with this company send my an e-mail @ [protected]@rocketmail.com. Thanks!

• Wi
    william oppenheim Oct 20, 2011

my wife and i are very dissatisfied with premium destinations.we tried to book a condo in the tampa area, for the week before thanksgiving, at least 3 months before. and was told nothing availabe by travel agent. after we were told that they could find us something. call kathy mccarty. she lie to us, after we informed her that we weren't happy. and that we wanted our money back.she said that her boss, candy l. barlow out of town. but as soon as candy got back, she would see what she could do. and would call me the 1st week of oct. today is oct.20th, 2011. so far no call. i called kathy tuesday, and left a message, to call me. no such luck. they are a bunch of lairs. and i will do what i have to . to get my money back.my email, is [email protected] hope to get a responce from some one.

JulianK and Mr. Oppenheim

total scam

This has be the worst experience of my life! The biggest waste of money ever. We have been members for over 3 years and was able to use one time and it was a total DUMP. Stayed 2 nights and left. Tried to use other times and a joke. No days ever available. It is a full time job dealing with these scammers.

EStout Jan 05, 2012

this might be a double post, but the first one did not go through

poor poor customer service

Please save your money and frustration. My husband and I joined Global Discovery Vacations recently. Their...