Geicoattempt to get credit card # got ss#

M

internet address: http://www.geico.com
The online forma wouldn't allow for no vehicle so I called
Online help phone # [protected]. I was told the reps were all busy and he'd take a call back number. I allowed that.
I was requesting "named nonopwners policy" according to Derrick whe he called back.
He was personable and chatty, helpful and kind.
Many other local insurance companies I'd called said they didn't issue these for OR.
Derrick, representing GEICO said he could. In our chatting and questions from him he asked for my SS#, which I normally would not give, but did in this situation.
He wanted to do a credit check and I told him I did not want a check on my card because it would affect my rate. He said he'd make a soft hit which wouldn't have any affect. I was still not alerted in the moment to the possibiliy of a scam, although he didn't follow through with that and ask for the card #.
He gave me a high quote and I said no...we ended off as he couldn't make the quote lower. But I guess he got partly what he wanted...my SS#.
Nice to feel vulnerable doing normal State required business at age 63, lone female and vulnerable. Too sad, too bad.

• Ti
    tidus78 Mar 31, 2009

[censored], Insurance always requires your social security number. And to pay for it you must provide a checking account, credit card, or debit card. Therefore, after giving you your quote, which is based on your credit history AND driving history, he asked for payment information. Since you declined to purchase, you didn't have to provide it.

Quit being so paranoid and get over it. The world isn't out to scam you.

By the way, did you have to provide your SS # to get a driver license? OH NO! The Division of Motor Vehicles will scam you too! *rolls eyes*