GC Servicesthreatening the employer

I just received a voice mail from GC Services (not knowing who they are) I returned their call only to find out they are a collection agency demanding that I give them information on either a past or present employee. I explained to the person on the phone we do not release any information without a signed release and he told me he doesn't have one and that if I do not release the information he would mark the company as non compliant and we would be held responsible for the debt for not giving him any information as to whether the person is still employed. I told him to send me a Subpeona for the information and he informed me that the information is not court mandated. He then demanded my name over and over again so I hung up on him. What gives these companies the right to threaten the employers?...

• JGraceyStinson Aug 10, 2009

They don't have the right. They just have the gaul.

They can't do anything to an employer who is following privacy laws. I worked in Human Resources, and you are in the right. Had you given the information, the employee (or former employee) could sue you.