GameStopfalse advertising

M

I had ordered the new 250GB Hard Drive for the Xbox 360 on the website with the COUPON CODE: 25OFF. The code was 25% off any order over 100$ w/ free shipping. The code was ACCEPTED & I received a confirmation e-mail about my order and when it would be delivered.

I just received an e-mail that the order was canceled. I thought it may have been a server error so I tried to re-order it from the website, but the coupon code was no longer valid. I called Customer Service and they said it was a mistake to allow the coupon code to work and that they would not honor their own code. This falls under that a common type of FRAUD known as FALSE ADVERTISING. I asked to speak to the supervisor and he was no more help than a guy selling sand in a desert.

I just finished submitting a complaint through the Better Business Bureau (BBB) in hopes of some form of resolution (honoring their code would be nice). If not, I will make it my mission to twitter/facebook/myspace this event to everyone I know about how GameStop does business. (shady like)

This is the first time that I have ever had a problem like this. I would bet that Amazon.com or Buy.com would be the first to apologize, take the hit by honoring it, and move on with life. Making me (the customer) happy and continuing to both ORDER from them; and recommending them to friends & family.

This is the LAST time I will ever deal with Gamestop at all (online or in stores). The fact that you can ALWAYS get it cheaper online at Amazon/Buy/Ebay; and you don't have to pay tax makes it superior. That and as you can see, Amazon doesn't honor their OWN CODES!...

• Th
    thel Feb 24, 2014

took me a while to get to this. It seems you were wrong in what you bought. the HD you quoted i remember back in 2010 was not over $100. infact i recall that when i examined the pricing for a new drive i only came up to [with tax and shipping] only $95.00 though i could have checked on a sale day. ether way gamestop tries their hardest to make sure their customers are treated fairly. the complaints here seem like you were not treating them fairly and were right in their response. a 25% coupon for items $100+ used on a $100- item should not have been accepted. the glitch saying it was allowed may have happend durring a sale. which do to the nature of coupons means it is useless now. to make a new one they need to generate them. but miss using them means they dont have to do that for the abuser.

• Ci
    CitrusPOP Oct 25, 2010

Most likely you somehow received a false coupon. There are many in print sadly, and that coupon alone would've cost GameStop around $40 on a product they make little money off of.

• Wh
    WhoCaresAboutYou? Jul 09, 2010

It's a trade-in deal where you get either boosted up to the point where you're saving money - ie: 2 games trade in worth $10, the promo boosts it to $20 - but once you pass that $20 threshold it doesn't work. The idea of listing all of the games that they do is because not every game is going to hit the $20 mark even when combined with another, and not everyone is going to have the 2 highest value ones.

• Gh
    G.Harrison May 28, 2010

I remember that ad. I do agree that it was worded wrong but it was the same thing as trading in your games and putting it towards something else in the store.

joeyspog Apr 03, 2010

Gamestop is always pulling crap like this. The same thing happened to me 3-4 months ago.. I called several times trying to speak with different managers; and they all told me tough ###. Their customer support on both phone & in-store is extremely piss poor..

I always vowed to never shop at GameStop after my last battle with them.. I seriously hope places like Best Buy, GameFly, wal-Mart, Target, etc push GameStop Under...

• De
    devexityspace Apr 02, 2010

Disgruntled Consumer,
    Mike

• 4a
    4adouglas Jan 11, 2010

Most recently GameStop Advertised SAVE $20.00 on anything in the entire store with the trade of a qualifying game. Valid 12/26/09 – 1/10/09. No limits no restrictions. So I took my son with a qualifying game to our local store. The trade in value of his game $28.00. When we went to check out there was no $20.00 savings. The local employee called two stores to figure out why it was not providing the $20.00 savings and could not get an answer. After about 20 minutes I agreed to follow up with the Corporate office the next business day. After calling the corporate office they informed me it was a poorly worded advertisement and what it was really suppose to say was you were guaranteed $20.00 trade in value. Well that is not what the advertisement said!! The customer service rep so all he could do was apologize and they have received several complaints on the same issue. I asked if you have received several complaints and can tell me it was worded wrong why is it still being advertised. No answer!!!