Fifth Third Bankfifth third bank complaint

I had been a customer of Fifth Third Bank for approximately 8 years. The problem started when they froze my home equity loan. I had access to $50K in cash until and was ready to make an real estate purchase. I spoke with the lender at Firth Third and they things were set but then I got a letter in the mail saying my account had been frozen. Not such a big deal because a lot of banks were doing it at that time and I could simply switch to a new bank. However, they would not refund the $65 annual fee associated with the account I had just paid on the account. They would not even pro rate it or anything.

Subsequently, I bounced a check inside an account where my home equity loan was the back up funds. Normally, if this would have happened it would have cost me $9.00 in a one time per transaction. Well I forgot that the account was closed and they ended up charging me $350+ dollars in fees. I verbally agreed to pay the two $39 charges and the two $9.00 overdraft charges and asked them to reconsider the remaining $260 in fees. I thought this was a reasonable request but the branch manager just let me know they would give me a $66 refund on the fees but that is all they could do.

I told him to keep his $66. I was going to close my account and inform as many people as I could about the situation.

If you stay with this bank or join this bank be prepared to be treated in a similar manner.

but then with Fifth Third but everyone was doing it.

• RBraddy Oct 01, 2009

GOOD POST! THE MORE WE LET PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THIS CORRUPT BANK, THE CLOSER WE CAN GET TO GETTING IT THE NATIONAL MEDIA ATTENTION IT NEEDS!
    A PERSONAL INVITE TO A GROUP I STARTED TODAY ON THIS SITE CALLED
    FIFTH THIRD- ALL U.S. CITIES. HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE!

• Je
    jeanne-laporte Feb 04, 2011

This bank totally sucks. They lie to get your business, then raise rates, renig on promises to keep home equity line open, and their $300 home re-mortgage??? What a joke! Ends up costing three times as much! All promises of saving you lots of money - ends up costing you much more with limited borowing & expensive fees. Corrupt!

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices