Complaints & Reviews

Resolved rude managers

I stayed at this establishment on 2/13/2010 to celebrate Valentines Day. With-in the rooms I had rose petals, candles and incense. There are no-smoking signs posted all around the facility and consequence information if there was smoking in the room. So by knowing this information my mindset already is who has $250 to waste so I wouldn't even take the risk.

There was apparently ashes and a cigar found in the rooms ice bucket. There were only two individuals in the room the whole night (we arrived @ midnight).

Initially I was skeptical about lighting the incense because of the smoke and because of the ashes but took a chance anyway. The next day a phone call was received stating that there was a $250 fine placed on the room because they had evidence of smoking. Neither I or my significant other smoke, so other than the ashes from the incense this left me flustered.

Being in a management position myself, I understand how some people lie and fabricate stories to get out of things but that is not nor ever has it been my style. I was not disputing the fact that they had found anything, I was just trying to get an understanding of where it came from.

I called and asked to speak to the manager. Her name is Erica and she spoke to me in the most degrating, depliciting, non-managerial form. She mocked me and made light of the situation. She kept referring to the situation and saying that I (as if she knew it was me) was smoking and she had the proof of it.

She was not receptive of me as the customer, and she was not trying to listen to what my concerns were in regards to this matter. She said that she could not take my word over her staff's and she actually laughed at me for debating the fact. She treated me like I was a liar from the start and she continued to laugh at me and talk to me in a rude manner. It was never an issue about paying the $250, if it has to be paid it has to be paid I understand that its all business.

It was just the fact that she was rude, and nasty and did not exhibit positive managerial characteristics. She has lost me as a future customer and any of my family memebers as potential customers in the near future. I also work for a profitable establishment that hold many conferences and work with many guest overseas, therefore I will not set it up for any of my clients to stay at a Marriott facility in the near future as well. I understand that we work in two totally different career fields but I would never speak to or mock any of my clients the way Erica spoke to and mocked me. With managers like this I do not reccommend anyone to stay at this facility.

• Jg
    JGrubic Jan 22, 2013

My Ford F 250 was stolen from right outside the hotel. There are seedy apartments nearby within easy walking distance from the hotel, there is no security. (Recent review by howdy 12345) claiming the parking lot is safe, cannot be more wrong, my truck was literally stolen while viewable from the front desk. They do have a video monitor of the parking lot but I was told it “froze" while my truck was being stolen. The theft happened after 6: 17 AM. I had locked the truck and set the alarm. Not much of a deterrent to the obviously seasoned thieves who broke the lock and hotwired the ignition. My family was extremely shaken by this incident. The folks at Fairfield point out that the parking is at your own risk and they take no responsibility for what happens in the parking lot. I do commend the San Antonio Police Department they recovered my vehicle that evening. Bottom line if you stay at Fairfield Inn you stay at your own risk they are not responsible for you parking in their parking lot. I shudder to think what would have happened if I were to go get my vehicle while it was in the process of being stolen. Needless to say my family will no longer stay at Fairfield Inn

• Dy
    Dynetta Robinson Feb 13, 2016

I just got off of the phone after having to call about a reservation confirmation. My confirmation umber was not forwarded to me as promised, and it was critical that I got it to my trip planner!!. Well, I called the Fairfield Inn Hotel reservation line this is the Charleston Carolina Airport Hotel. Firstly, I could not hear the clerk clearly and I politely asked her to speak up, she got annoyed, started shouting in my ear and I asked her to allow me to speak to someone else, she placed me on hold and did not return for 15 mins. I called back and asked to speak to a supervisor or to be given the corporate office or complaints line number, The phone was rudely hung up. After 1/2 an hour I called back and got the information that I needed. I will stay at this hotel only because my group is having its functions here, but I will definitely not stay there or recommend this hotel. SHE WAS NASTY!! to say the least.
    Dynetta Robinson
    Confirmation #94332979

Resolved room charges

I made reservations on Friday February 6, 2009 and left the room neat and tidy as it was just myself. Not...

Resolved I felt insulted and belittled!

I am a resident of the Beltsville/Calverton, Maryland 20705 for the past 22 years. I regularly would go over to the Ramada Inn which is located in the Calverton Shopping Center located off of Powdermill Road and Beltsville Drive.

For the past, I guess, almost 10 years now, I think, it has been changed to the Fairfield Inn. It is a nice place, and I often go there, talk with the employees I know, have coffee and watch t.v. in their lounging area. Sometimes, I get coffee or tea and take it out the door with me, when I am heading off to work or on my way home, which is usually a seven block walk. I am 54, and sometime I need a break off my legs before I go home, so when I get off the bus, I stop by the Fairfield Inn. I call it my second home. I help a lot of the desk clerks with information the guests may need about the area outside of the hotel such as stores or restaurants, or how to get to public transportation sites. I have even, twice, provided the hotel with a manual that I made up with information that they can readily use to help their guests with any information that they need. I provided maps, yellow and white page information about restaurants and stores, and directions to different locations. I did this because this is the type of person I am. No one else would have ever done this for the hotel, and that I know for sure. I am a very friendly individual and am not shy about talking to anyone. I try to be nice to people and I try not to cause trouble. Apparently now, as of January, 2007, I guess I hit the unwelcomed mat by an employee who works behind the front desks. I was off to work, and had my boss stop at the Fairfield Inn to get us some coffee before we headed out of the city. We usually do this whenever he came into Maryland and picked me up. The employees are forever changing at the Fairfield Inn, so I guess each time you deal with new staff members, you will have to accept new rules.

I don't know if the employee is a manager or not, but she approached me as I was leaving, and told me not to take anymore coffee from the hotel, that it is for their guests. I responded, nicely, ok, and left with my two cups of coffee in hand. It wasn't until I was in the car, that I started to feel bad about her approach. She is new to the Fairfield Inn, trying to gain brownie points and sticking her nose in positions that don't really concern her. They have management people for their front desk, their lounge/catering area, and cleaning areas. I know the manager of the lounge area and he has never stopped me from getting coffee before. I have never been approached in the past 22 years until now that I was not able to get coffee and sit down and watch what was on their t.v. set. They have meetings at the Fairfield Inn, and they have engagements there for church and other events all the time. The people that attend these engagements aren't paying the hotel for their use of it, yet they get coffee, tea, hot chocolate, or whatever, and no one stops them and said that these items are for the guests of the hotel. Where is my activity really different? Does she have the right to tell me that I can't have a cup of coffee there when I go there, which is usually like 3 or 4 times a week. There is not much to do in Calverton, when you are on foot, so the Fairfield Inn is a nice, quiet place, that I felt real comfortable visiting. If you have any input on this, please let me have that. Sincerely, A. C. Smith

makingithappen Oct 14, 2007

I chose neutral on this complaint, because I understand where you are coming from. I am an Operations Manager at a Marriott. I appreciate that you want to help the Front Desk Staff and the hotel in general by helping its guests. But you seem to think that you are justified then to essentially steal coffee from the hotel. You are incorrect in assuming that non-guests, such as those attending meetings, do not pay for items such as coffee. They do, usually in the form of a catering/beverage charge based on the estimated number of people attending the event.

A hotel is a business like any other business. What if someone sat in your office and gave advice to everyone who came through the door? What if that person walked through your breakroom anytime they wanted and helped themselves? Do you walk into banks and go to each candy dish, picking out your favorite selections then leave?

The lobby / breakfast room of a hotel is not a public place like a library is. And there are reasons for that. I applaud the Manager who came up to you in what sounds like a rather discreet way. She didn't make a huge deal about it and she didn't have the police escort you out, which would have been in her right to do. Technically what you are doing is trespassing.

In closing, since it does sound like you have a genuine concern for the hotel's guests experience in your town, may I suggest joining your local visitor's bureau or volunteer at one of Maryland's welcome centers.

• Ga
    Gabriel May 03, 2009

DEAR MOOCHER,
    FIRST OF ALL, YOU ARE NOT LOOKING AT THE REAL PICTURE HERE MIS THANG! YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY NOT A GUEST OF MARRIOTT LET ALONE FAIRFIELD INN. THE SIGN OUTSIDE MORE THAN LIKELY SAYS "FAIRFIELD INN" NOT "STARBUCKS" SO IF THE PLACE MADE YOU FEEL "COMFORTABLE" GOOD, BUT STILL FIND IT HARD TO UNDERSTAND HOW YOU CONFUSE THE MEANING OF COMFORATABLE WTH YOU FEELING THAT THE FAIRFIELD INN OWES YOU SOMETHING. IT WAS YOUR CHOICE TO ASSIST THE EMPLOYEES IN THE PAST AND YOU WERE NOT ASKED TO BY ANYONE. YOU ARE TOSSING YOUR FRIENDLINESS AROUND FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE AS A WAY TO MANIPULATE YOUR WAYS ANYWHERE AND EVERYWHERE YOU CAN. HINT OF ADVISE: GET A LIFE, GO TO STARBUCKS, AND QUIT BEING A MOOCH, NO ONE LIKES THEM.

• Br
    Brian Foster Sep 11, 2018

Family was displaced by fire in Nor California two days ago. Fairfield inn and suites RUDELY said no pets allowed. Sorry, I will never ever stay in another hotel operated by this chain nor will I tell anyone to stay here. Also they are charging regular room rates to EVERYONE displaced by the fire. Way to benefit from others EXTREME disadvantage

• Ro
    Robert Knight Oct 15, 2018

Stayed two nights, 10/6 & 10/7/2018 as quests of the Spokane Dog Training Club. The Club had an agreement with the Inn that the stay was to be charged to SDTC credit card.
    Returned home to find the bill charged to our personal credit card. Mistake or intentional attempt to "double dip" ?

Robert Knight

• Cy
    Cyntara Nov 06, 2018

I booked a room through priceline. I was charged through priceline for the room then received the same charge through fairfield inn for the same booking.