Express Scriptsprescription medication - mail order

B

In March of this year I was diagnosed with Adult Onset Stills Disease in which I take a once daily injection of Kineret which is a biologic medication. This disease is such that I am required to take an injection at the same time each day as to ensure that rapid return of symptoms do not manifest. For the past 2 months I have been receiving my medication directly from Kineret. Their customer service is incredible. Their process was for me to call their customer service to request a refill and I had it on my doorstep by 10am the next morning and heavily packed with ice to ensure this biologic medication remains at temperature.

This month is the first time that my insurance is requiring that I use Express Scrips mail order to fill my medication. I contacted Express Scripts 1 month ago to coordinate my prescription as to ensure that I was not to have a lapse in medication through the transition.I was told that I would be contacted to coordinate delivery.

This past Friday the first shipment was delivered and without any advance notification as I was told I should expect. For this reason I happen to be away all weekend and the medication sat in the 90 degree heat for the weekend rendering it not usable. I called first thing Monday June 19 to explain what has occurred and to request medication as I am out of my current supply after tonight, June 21.

Since Monday June 19 I have called to get a status on the expedited refill request. At this time there still is no update and they can't tell when they are able to schedule shipment. The latest customer service rep told me that I am to expect a call within 48 hours of my initial call, which has not passed and this is only to schedule a shipment. The only thing they can tell me is that the order is still residing with the pharmacy and it has not been released.

I spoke with a supervisor last night and this was of no help either. She was only able to tell me the same information as there is a bottleneck in waiting for the order to transferred from the pharmacy for processing. This apparently can't be expedited even when a patient is in a dire situation due to a communication error from Express Scripts to start.

I have asked if I would be allowed to get my medication this month, due to the issues with Express Scripts and the failure to guarantee shipment by today (I am out of medication if not shipped overnight today). I was told by the supervisor no and that in the future I needed to request my refill sooner.

It is unbelievable that the customer service is so poor and that there is no process in place to quickly rectify situations such as this. I was told on Monday that this is an expedited refill request. In the time that has passed, Express Scripts could have received an overnight shipment from Kineret and then shipped to me overnight to receive this morning. But, instead I am waiting on a phone call in which I am to expect the scheduling of shipment.

I am now waiting to see if I will get a call today regarding a status update, which if any indication of my recent experience with Express Scripts likely will not happen. In the interim if the medication does not ship TODAY, I am without medication and will be expecting rapid Still's symptoms returning.

All of this could easily have been avoided my allowing me to continue to get my medication directly from Kineret (not forcing me to use the Express Scripts pharmacy), and enjoy the tremendous customer service and trust in knowing that reliable and prompt medication would get to me when needed.