Menu
ADVERTISIMENT
Home Travel & Vacations Expedia Unable to use flight credits before the expiration time.

Expedia review: Unable to use flight credits before the expiration time.

J
Author of the complaint
12:24 pm EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My husband and I had Alaska Airlines flight credits through Expedia that were to expire December 31, 2021. We could not plan to use them until that day due to many reasons. I started a chat around 7:15pm with a virtual agent who could not help and tried to get a live agent. A live agent was not available. There were two phone numbers to call. I call the first one [protected] at 7:04pm then at 7:06pm and waited 41 minutes with no response. I tried a chat again with no success. I called the second number [protected] that gave the wait time as 8 hours. I hung up and called the first number again at 7:52pm and kept the call open for over two hours then I gave up.

Here is the chat conversation:
Hi, how can I help?
Use airline credit
I'll need a moment to find that for you.
Here are your bookings having credit.

Multi destination trip to HNL

One way trip to GTF
Sat, May 2-Sat, May 2
Confirmation: AHVBIS

Can't find your booking?
Maybe you booked with a different email address. Do you have different information you'd like to try?

Looking for upcoming bookings?
Are we there yet? Almost, here's what you have upcoming.
Show upcoming bookings

Looking for completed bookings?

New chat:
Welcome back! Looking for your recent trips? You'll find your completed bookings here.
Show completed bookings

Virtual Agent
Sorry, I'm having trouble. Let's get you to someone who can help.
I'll need a moment to find that for you.
Thanks for getting in touch! Sorry, our chat agents are currently unavailable.
You can call us locally at [protected] or +[protected] (from abroad, charges apply).
Are my still good since I cannot reach an agent?
I'll need a moment to find that for you.
Thanks for getting in touch! Sorry, our chat agents are currently unavailable.

Yesterday, January 3, 2022
Hello, Can is still use my credits from a cancelled trip in 2020?
I'll need a moment to find that for you.
I see you have this booking.

Multi destination trip to HNL
Fri, Sep 4-Sun, Sep 13
Confirmation: AWOKUZ
Virtual Agent
Let's make a change to your booking.
Virtual Agent
What do you want to change today?
Contact an agent
Virtual Agent
Hang on while I check on that.
Virtual Agent
Your estimated wait time: more than 15 minutes. If you don't want to wait around, I can text you when the next agent is available. Either way, let me know and I'll get you in line.
I'll wait here
Virtual Agent
Help is on the way! Connecting you with an agent as soon as possible.
Please keep this chat open. If you leave this page or make other selections, you could lose your place in line.
Virtual Agent
An agent is now available, please confirm you're ready to chat. Need a bit more time? We'll wait 20 minutes for your response before disconnecting.
I'm ready
Virtual Agent
Hang tight. You'll be shortly connected to an agent.
Hi, My name is Rahul. Please allow me moment whilst I review your conversation
Hi Rahul, Thank you.
(Agent)
As I can check your concern is regarding airlines credit, Correct?
(Agent)
May I have your Itinerary number on which you have credit ?
It is Alaska Airlines. [protected]
(Agent)
Alright. Please allow me couple of minutes, whilst I am pulling up your reservation details.

Please keep this chat window open so that we can stay connected.
Thank you.
(Agent)
Sorry to keep you waiting
I have checked that your credit is expired on 31stdec21 and no longer available
Oh. I'm looking at the website page that shows the credit is about to expire and I've refreshed it twice. I tried to have contact with an agent last night and after waiting on the phone for three hours I gave up. I know you all were quite busy but I hoped I could get through before midnight my time (mountain).
Life is such lately that we could not make a decision until yesterday.
(Agent)
I can completely understand that Jean but now we can't redeem it only airlines can as an exception.
I see. How would I go about contacting Alaska Airlines?
(Agent)
Yes that would be helpful
Okay. What do I do?
(Agent)
Can I help you with anything else?
Call them and ask if they can use it

In the meantime, I filed a complaint through the expedia.co.uk customer service website. I chose the wrong website for the US customer service but it still worked.

This is my message:

To Whom It May Concern,
Covid changed our lives for the foreseeable future. The decision to travel has not been an easy one. My husband and I made plans to go to Hawaii. It wasn't until this week it would be possible. I was in the queue to talk to agent December 31, 2021. I have Alaska Airlines credits to use. I called 7pm mountain time and waited hours on one phone number. I finally hung up just before midnight believing I would not be able to talk to an agent. The other phone number given said the wait was 8 hours! Of course that would have been around 4am! I realize your agents were taking care of many, many customers but Expedia should have anticipated the number of customers who would try to rebook that day with more agents.

I have been a loyal customer with Expedia for over 30 years. I have enjoyed the excellent experience using Expedia for booking from flights to car rentals to hotel reservations. I am so disappointed I cannot use my credits through Expedia! The only recourse given to me by a live agent is to contact the airlines directly. I believe this is what Expedia should do.

I and other customers are in the same situation as me. Please restore our confidence in using Expedia for our future travel needs and find a way to use the credits. I am sorry to say if I cannot be helped this will be the last time I use Expedia.

Jean Mazur

I received an email acknowledging my message yesterday, January 2, 2022. It stated they would send a reply within 24 hours. This is the email today:

Flight Assistance
Inbox

Expedia
4:59 AM (5 hours ago)
to me

www.expedia.com
Dear Jean,

Your itinerary: [protected]

We are contacting you in regards to your "Flight Booking" query.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused due to delay in responding.

The tickets are expired hence please contact the airlines directly for further assistance.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Regards
James
Expedia US Customer Support

9:23 AM (45 minutes ago)
to Expedia

James,

Expedia's response is not acceptable! This is more than an inconvenience! It's not my or your customers' fault that Expedia did not have enough agents to serve their requests on December 31st knowing there were many airline credits expiring that day and were left with no other way to contact Expedia. I know I am not the only one dissatisfied from reading about this issue on other websites.

My credits did not expire when I called and waited on the phone. A proper solution would have let those in the queue before midnight be allowed to complete their business instead of penalizing them. Treating your customers this way will lose Expedia business. You've lost me. I have spent thousands for your services, which until now, I have been happy with.

I will continue to pursue this matter with management above you.

Jean Mazur

I have attached a screenshot of the coupon page from today.

I have not contacted Alaska Airlines yet. I first wanted to work with Expedia to resolve this matter.

Thank you for your consideration and help with this matter.

Jean Fleming-Mazur
260 US Highway 89, Vaughn, MT 59487
[protected]@gmail.com

View 0 more photos
Update by Jjmzr22
Mar 07, 2022 10:51 pm EST

I got the biggest surprise with Expedia! I checked back on my credit page and lo, and behold, the Alaska airlines credit expired January 10, 2022 instead of the December 31, 2021. I started a chat with an Expedia agent and explained that I would have booked flights if I knew of the new deadline. He apologized and offered a refund! I guess I just happened to get a considerate agent. Doesn’t hurt to continue to make contact a few times. You always get someone new.

Good luck.