eBayseller not protected from scam!!

U Review updated:

I just recently started selling items on ebay and I was unexperienced when it came to a buyer being unhappy with an item and how to issue a return. On December 14, 2012, I sold a new, unopened bottle of Ralph Lauren Blue Perfume, the buyer received the item on December 17. Right away, she sent me an email saying that the item was not as descibed. I don't know how else to describe a perfume other than what it is and that it is new and has never been sprayed. I Never buy items to resell, all items are my personal items. She went on to say that she could not use it, that she did not like the scent and that it smelled old to her. I felt terrible that she did not like the perfume and refunded her immediately. She did not offer to return the perfume, so I asked her if she would return it to me if I sent her the postage. She said she would comply if more money was sent. The next day, after putting more thought into the situation, I decided to contact ebay. They advised me to NEVER give a refunded until the item was back in my hands. I was also advised to not send any money to the buyer and ask her to send the item back. I did as I was advised to, now the buyer will not respond to my emails. She has a new bottle of perfume and her $76.43 back, not to mention it cost me $9.45 in shipping to send it to her. If this is not theft, I don't know what is. Today, I spoke with ebay again, this person said that since I refunded the money before having the item returned to me, I am not covered by the buyer protection and that I should just send a postage paid sticker to the buyer to cover the return shipping. Ebay even went so far as to say that I could have possibly sold an immitation perfume and that I would need to verify the purchase. I told ebay that I did not have a receipt, if I had, I would have just returned the perfume to the store rather than trying to sell it on ebay. This buyer is a scam artist and Ebay does nothing to protects the sellers from these parasites!!

• T
      Dec 24, 2012

As a seller you have that control to issue a refund or not and eBay cannot take that money back from the buyers you do. If you ever have to get a refund for an item you have to return it order to get money back and thats with any company you buy from. It's just common practice. Why would a company pay for your mistake? Since theft has happened then you need to file a police report. eBay is the platform to help sellers run their business with these professional tools. If you automatically issue a refund then the buyer has no intensive to give back the item.

• U
      Dec 24, 2012

tasha12, this is a complaint board, if you don't have a complaint about a product, service, or business, you need to keep your mouth shut. You are a problem to everyone on this site. You have over 340 comments and they are all useless and uncalled for. I have also reported you to the website administrator in hopes that you will be suspended once again.

• S
      Feb 03, 2013

Same thing happened to me. I shipped an item and the buyer said it arrived broken. I asked them to ship it back to me and I would refund them their return shipping fee once I received the item. The buyer filed a complaint, EBay refunded the money to the buyer and I am out the item and the shipping charges.

• A
      Feb 05, 2013

Why not pay her a visit - you do have her address - and take a Basball Bat with you - just incase she want';s to play ball1