Duke Energybill highe kw usage is inaccurate

C

A little background is We live in a 1200 sq ft house with Geo -Thermal. Our normal bill usually runs around $20.00-80.00 with the highest kilowatts of 1800 in the month of February our coldest month last year. So last month when we actually had the windows open a few days, we were told we used 3600 KWH. A bill of 352.00 a month. This month they have us using 5300 kwh and I find this odd because I was in the hospital for a week because I delivered my son and my husband was with me. In addition there is 8 more days until the bill reading. Another odd thing is on the date on Sunday 1/22 my whole family was home and they have us using 36.73 kwh and the day my son was born when no one was home we used 123 kwh. I find this odd. so lets say my appliances are bad, how do they pick and choose what days they decide to run bad. especially when no one is home to use them. In addition we have one of the smart meters that duke came out and checked and said it was fine but i am seriously doubting it. this makes no sense. I have called the PUCO and Duke and I only get the run around. With this being said we do not budget for a $600 dollar utility bill and I can guarantee we are not doing anything different to use this much more kilowatts. I actually have changed all the bulbs in the house to the energy saving bulbs and time my daughters showers and have locked the furnace on 62 degrees and we rarely watch TV. I am pretty sure they will have us at 6000 KWH by the meter reading. I really feel we would need a heated pool with a jacuzzi running all the time to use this much electricity.

• Sj
    sj01 Feb 27, 2017

Christine, check your bill for the end meter reading compared to what your meter reading as of today. I bet the meter reading as of today is lower than the last reading on your bill. If this is the case have Duke come out & re-read the meter & have them adjust your bill to the correct reading. They should also credit your account. Don't let them tell you your meter must be broke. That is the standard answer from the Duke Customer Service so they can get you off the phone. Duke has done this on two occasions in the last 18 months at my residence. The last time they tried to charge me $7, 000 dollars. It took 2 months to get it straightened out. Plus, multiple hours of my time & frustration.