Having problems with Xcel Energy?

Xcel Energy reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Dec 6, 2007. The latest review billing was posted on Apr 26, 2021. The latest complaint billing was resolved on Oct 22, 2013. Xcel Energy has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 79 reviews. Xcel Energy has resolved 15 complaints.

Xcel Energy Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 895 4999 (Residential)
+1 800 481 4700 (Business)
+1 800 895 2999 (Gas Emergency Or Outage)
+1 800 895 1999 (Electric Outage)
1800 Larimer St., Ste 1500
Denver, Colorado
United States - 80202-1408

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Xcel Energy Customer Service. Initial Xcel Energy complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Xcel Energy above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Xcel Energy. Discuss the issues you have had with Xcel Energy and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Xcel Energy Complaints & Reviews

Xcel Energybilling

I am being overcharged for a two bedroom apartment by Xcel Energy. What is being reported or read by Xcel Energy is not a true reflection of the amount of bill I should be paying. For a two bedroom apartment with no high use appliances such as freeers, water heaters, air conditionser, and heaters. I do not have none of that and my bill should be $20-$30month but they are charging me $250 which is too high and is not a refection of the energy I am using.

billing

Xcel EnergyXcel’s auto payment system failures

Have been a long time customer and when Xcel offered 3rd party auto payments from our banking account, we signed up (the 3rd party was called "runner" or something similar and had a picture of a dog on the main page). In late 2020, the 3rd party app quit pulling auto payments and did not notify us so the Xcel system said we were late paying December 2020 bill. We called and paid by credit card and then set up an auto pay directly in the Xcel app (through easy pay). The Xcel app said the bank account was not valid..

We called Xcel on 2/2/2021 (talked with Tammy) and on 2/24/2022 (talked with Brittney) about their new Easy Pay system and issues with setting up auto payments. Was told that the bank info DID validate in the Easy Pay system on 2/24/2021 but received another email saying the bank account was invalid. I was then told that Xcel had implemented the new payment software and they were having issues. Brittney said she would get their IT group to check on this and IT or billing would call back by the end of the week with a resolution. Never received a call.

So the next bill was ready for payment and when I called Xcel I was told that our account was delinquent on two payments so we had to pay by credit card (with a $1.50 transaction fee) or in person every month for the next 12 months.

If Xcel implemented a new system with glitches then we should not be penalized for a year. Horrible customer service - especially since payments were made on time for many, many years.

Xcel EnergyCustomer Service

Farmers in Texas cannot wait 48-72 for a line fuse to be pulled or put back up. They will lose a crop and go bankrupt. We bend over backwards to follow your polices, such as an EIC form, which isn't required by any other electric company in the state of Texas. Every time we send one in, you find something wrong with it, cancel our service call, and don't even bother to inform anyone. You tell us to write the meter number as the address. Then, when we call back in, you tell us it has gotten denied because we didn't write driving directions instead. Which starts the 24-48 hour wait all over again. I should not have to give you directions to your own meters. You tell us to call it in as an emergency, then you say it doesn't constitute an emergency. We call one number, get told to call another number, who then proceeds to have us call the first number again. You have the strictest rules and regulations in the state, which we follow to a T, and you still refuse to cooperate in a timely manner. Horrible company to deal with. You have been reported to the BBB. This is unacceptable. I will also have my customers report you to the BBB as these problems occur in the future.

Xcel EnergyDenial of claim

On October 29, service wire from power pole to meter burned and conducted power to bare common wire. Xcel Energy account number [protected]. Order #[protected]

This occurred at our home, 3481 State Road 1490, Littlefield, Tx 79339 October 29, 2020

We simply request a reimbursement of $1560.97 for items damaged from power surge.

I have all documents related to invoices for repair.

The claim was denied by an "investigator" and we would like to appeal that determination.

• Updated by farabee · Feb 13, 2021

It's bad enough that the power surge caused damage inside our home: flames coming from surge protector, hours without power, but the lack of concern shown by Xcel is typical of these huge businesses. They forget the "little man" is their customer. We've been at this location for over 45 years. It has never been pleasant to deal with corporate Xcel! Local servicemen are jewels.

Xcel EnergyGas meter

We added a gas appliance to our home and we're instructed not to use it, by our plumber, until Xcel came out to turn up our gas, at the meter. Our plumber filed the request ticket with Xcel in November. It is now February and after multiple calls, emails and complaints Xcel has still not fulfilled the request. Each time I contact Xcel, I'm assured that they have the ticket, but given no scheduled date for service. Weeks go by and I call again to receive the same runaround. It's clear, when you answer to no one, that Xcel simply doesn't care. Raise the rates and provide as little service as possible. Public oversight is needed to keep these thieves in check.

Xcel EnergyBill

My wife recently passed. While she was here I had to run a oxygen concentrator 24/7. I also ran 3 air purifiers 24/7. I shut all of those off and a food freezer. Its only me in this house and I've shut everything down that I can and my bill went up. A service man came out and checked my meter and said it was fine. There is no way I've used more energy since my wife has passed. Something is wrong here. Every light in this house is led. I only use what I have to. I'm on social security and every penny counts. My name is Gary McBee. Address is 1638 Meeker dr. Longmont.

Xcel EnergyBilling

I'm Ángela Hartelt- my son was living with me due to covid excel was in his name. At the time of canceling his service I paid balance on the account that shown due. Then they sent another bill after I put light in my name . had Xcel light service put in my name 10/1/20 from my sons name because he moved and xcel is trying to charge me for his balance that he is moving over to his new place. I'm not paying for a bill in someone else's name plus my bill is already high due to covid
              My account 53-[protected]-6 Ángela Hartelt
              IM filing complaint with other agencies

Xcel EnergyMy bill

I have been on Xcel Energy budget plan for years and never really had a problem. Last month, I got a bill for $150 and an explanation that this is my new monthly budget amount. It was $50/month. A year ago, I had 3 kids living in my house and for the past 10 months, I only have 1 child living with me. They explained that I am using too much energy. I've looked on various sites and see many people are having the same experience. When I try to call back to get more information, I have sat on hold for 30-50 minutes and can't get anyone on the line. When I write in from their website it says I will hear from someone in 24-48 hours and never heard back! I have no idea how to contact someone there and am very frustrated that this is happening to myself and others. They have a monopoly here in my city which is why I think they are increasing their rates and telling customers it's because they are using more energy. Super frustrated!

Xcel EnergyCustomer service

I have paid my bill online for years with no problems, until this year. Every time I try to log on it says incorrect password. So hit forgot pw link for it to send me email. Sometimes I do not receive email. Times I do i hit links then Xcel site tells me the time has expired even though it was less than 5 minutes ago.I have contacted customer service more times than I can count on one hand. Its like they do not understand what I'm saying. Last two times I have sent customers service email I have not received a response back. I've ask and ask why I keep having problems logging on to pay my bill.. I've asked them to advise on what I needed to do with no response. How many more people is this happening to that does not complain? Its kinda ridiculous.

Jun 25, 2020

Xcel Energy — Moving my electric meter

I filled out a form to get my meter moved. I mailed it to an address in Eau Claire, WI. I got a call the next...

Xcel Energyelectricity bill

My bill was 4 times the amount as the previous average for the past 2 years. I complained about it and Xcel sent "Jorge", so he said that was his name.
                    He entered my residence when unnecessary the told me my water heater was electric when it is obviously only gas.
                    I asked him to leave, he proceeded to become vile and unprofessional. Xcel backed this employee.
                    Now I have contacted police for the threats by Xcel employe, and attorneys for the civil side.
                    Xcel monopolized the panhandle so they can raise rates and hold it over our head and turn off electricity when their 16-year-old meter fails.
                    SEE YOU IN COURT!

Xcel Energypower outages

I have had Xcel for years now and have had no issues until 2019. I have had the power go out 4 different times in less than 6 months. Each time it takes over an hour to restore power. My city went through a blizzard and I was lucky enough to restore power and yet when it is a perfectly clear day an outage happens. They wont tell you why, their updates are slow, and they refuse to acknowledge that this is a huge problem. It's not like I moved recently either, I've been at my apartment for three years and this just started happening.

Nov 04, 2019

Xcel Energy — extra charge for meter error/ no notice of issues

I called today to ask about my bill and why it was at $267 when it was at $30 previously they said our meter...

Xcel Energybilling/service

First off...Xcel's customer service blows.

Last month their system was 'down' but did they send out an email notifying its customers of this? No. They expect you to get that update from thin air or hope that you looked online. I found out that the system was down when they not only charged one of my bank accounts that I had previously deleted off of my account because I am in the process of closing it, they also charged the new account that I had listed on my file. They blamed this error on their system malfunctioning and being down for over a week. When I asked how I could get the duplicate payment refunded, they stated that it has been credited back to my Xcel account...cool...did they ever ask if that is how I wanted the refund to be issued? Nope.

When I told them that wouldn't work with me because I am out that money that I had not anticipated to be taken. They then told me they could issue me a check but it would be sent in mail and I would have to wait 5 business days before I got it back. I was also told I would have to dispute the charge with my bank. As much of a headache this process already was I then went ahead and waited for the check while also disputing the charge with my bank...this all took place at the beginning of October.

Now here we are at the end of October and I received a notification that my bill was only $29 which is roughly around what it should be. Today, I went to make sure that all of my previous banking information was taken off of my account so this would not happen again, only to find that now my bill is $111 which is including my previous bill that was PAID already.

I spent my breaks at work calling and got told one thing after another until I finally got a 'supervisor' who should probably not have that title considering he was the least helpful person out of everyone I talked too and the rudest. Long story short, he said that because they issued me a check and I disuputed the charge with my bank that it cancelled everything out and that I technically never paid my balance for last month...I was told directly by them to do both...and now I shouldn't have?????

I HIGHLY recommend going with an alternative energy company (PG&E is amazing) as Xcel lacks basic customer service and educated knowledge of the service and its payment system. I never once heard anyone of their employees take responsibility for the mix-up or duplicate payment which would have gone a long way in my book. Instead, I was treated like I was uneducated and talked down to. I am currently in the works with my legal team to see what else can be done since I got nowhere with Xcel themselves. If you have the option to choose which energy company to go with BY ALL MEANS RUN FROM EXCEL. They try and have you sign up for autopay and tell you that you will receive a discount but the reality is, you will get double charges and not see anything back to make up for their mistake...I was not asking for a million dollars back, I was looking for basic care in customer service.

Xcel Energygas

I had placed a request to reconnect my gas two days ago. They promised a 24 hour turn around. Of course it is now the weekend and I still have not had any luck getting my services reconnected. I have called multiple times and they have all said they'd "follow up" and that I would be serviced "as soon as possible." I even spoke with a supervisor who was unable to tell me a time frame even after being promised it would be done within 24 hours. So frustrating!

Xcel Energybilling issue.

My account # is [protected]

I have recently moved into this address and I got a bill that I did not expect. On the bill is has a former balance of $138.42 from years ago. I was asked to prove I paid it but I'm unable to do so because I have a different bank now than I did then.

I'd like to you to remove it as I have no doubt it was paid either to Xcel or the collection agency it was sent to.
                            Grant
                            [protected]
                            [protected]@hotmail.com

Xcel Energyelectric

Our power was shut off on thursday the 26th of september(we were behind but had just made a huge payment 2 weeks prior). We paid the outstanding on the 27th of september. The supervisor we asked to talk to on the 26th finally calls us on the 31st(still no power). He credited our disconnect/reconnect fee which is great but when he put the new order in it put us back at the bottom of the list cause oldest orders first. So here it is the first of october and I have spent 300 dollars alone in just the gas for a generator not to mention all the food i had to throw away and the food i had to buy from restaurants to give my kids a warm meal. How much longer will it take. If we had to wait five days for power before he put the order in how long do we have to wait now. Mind you my bill has been paid for 6 days. Funny how you guys can turn it off but cant figure out how to turn it on.

Xcel Energyelectric

We paid our power 2 days ago to have it turned on. They told us by 10pm on thursday it would be on. It's now saturday and they still haven't turned it back on. There was an excel guy here yesterday to check the gas but he said he couldn't do the electric do they needed to dispatch another. He was supposed to be here by 10pm last night. Woke up this morning with, yet again, no power. There are 4 children living in my house and we are all still sitting in the dark. No heat, no power, and it's starting to get cold. I explained this to them, but they don't seem to give a [censored]. I just want my power back on especially since I paid almost $1000 to get it turned back on, when that money could have gone to other things.

Xcel Energymeter reading/customer service

I was just sent my monthly invoice from Excel and it showed a MASSIVE increase (almost 85%) in electricity usage. I called to speak with a representative from your company and was informed that the overuse of electricity was MOST LIKELY coming from a home appliance that was, "going out." I was then instructed to do a "self-diagnostic, " on my breaker box. I followed your instructions and determined that it was NOT any appliances drawing excess electricity and called back.

Before I get to the heart of the matter I would like to pre-empt this by saying that I do NOT work for XCEL energy. I am NOT certified in electrical system diagnoses nor am I competent in discerning WHAT if ANY data can be derived from such activities. It really seems like something YOUR company can handle. Also, your customer NON-service could be much more efficiently operated by simply putting a recording up on the customer service line that just repeats the phrase, "Your problem is irrelevant! Just shut up and pay whatever the number on the bill says...we are unconcerned with your particular issue and NOTHING can be done by you to solve your issue OTHER than paying whatever we tell you..." It seems this is the only conflict resolution your people are capable of!

Now to the matter at hand. I called back a second time to relay the results of my non professional diagnostic checkup and was THEN informed that, YEP! As it turned out the ACTUAL issue was YOU folks were in error and MISREAD my meter...alledgedly, and LOOK OUT! The resolution to YOUR error is for ME to just PAY THE BILL.

I don't understand how you misreading YOUR OWN meter somehow validates an 80% INCREASE in my overall power usage...it sounds quite unbelievable...how often do you read the meters? Every Fall? As soon as I told the representative the results revealed nothing she all of a sudden comes up with the "mis-read, " portion of the deflect and deny responsibility.

I am EXTREMELY upset about this. Not only have you guys now put my holiday budget INTO FRIGGIN SHAMBLES but your incredibly coarse and cavalier attitude about my predicament is so infuriating I want to scream. My energy usage HAS NEVER reached anywhere near these levels...first you tell me its an appliance and when I say I need someone to come out and read the meter you then say OOPS! We read it wrong and you can just pay the difference over a few months. I AM NOT paying for your mistake. I DO NOT accept that you will not send someone professional out here to ascertain the issue definitively, and I DO NOT accept that your "SERVICE" personnel couldn't CARE LESS about the customer and resolving their unique issues.

I am contacting the Albuquerque Chamber of Commerce, the NM BBB, the Federal fraud hotline, and any other regulatory agency with dominion over your company and complain until SOMEBODY can accept some responsibility for this issue OTHER than the victim. You're SO lucky you don't have to COMPETE for my business...because your utility company is ran like a pyramid scheming grifter!

Sincerely upset,

Amanda Davis

Xcel Energythey turned it off paid back within an hour and they take days too turn on

This was months ago but my family has been going through alot my family had to take care of my grandma for months after my grandpa died and they turned off the power when we called explained what happened they literally had no sympathy the bill was even payed the same day it was shut off and they took 3 days to turn it on something is seriously wrong with these people they treat the customers like animals and they can't even show any decency. Then a month later they did it again without warning even though we had the bill payed but just because it wasn't payed the exact time it was shut off we even payed it before it was shut off just didnt go through yet we talked too the person that disconnected and told them we payed for it and if they'd wait to turn it back on since it gone through he just said they couldn't do anything about it and to call then left. They really need too give a week or 2 notice it's just a disgrace how they treat people. No wonder everyone hates this company too bad they're the only power company in most areas we don't have a option they're literally so rich its sick they're employees are just cruel and they only care about money and not how they get it.