Menu
American Electric Power Company [AEP]
reviews & complaints

American Electric Power Company [AEP]
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

30 complaints
2 resolved 28 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of American Electric Power Company [AEP]. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
8:34 am EDT

American Electric Power Company [AEP] - Getting electric turned back on

My electrics been off two and a half days I have cattle out in the field that have not had any water for a day and a half because my generator broke my husband is a lineman he is turning on other people's electric AEP was 1/4 of a mile from my house that they could have fixed what the problem is but because and not very many people live on that road and they just went on to the next big ticket I have called a EP four times basically they say they're sorry but there's nothing they can do even though my husband is turning on other people's electric so much for Brotherhood of Electrical Workers

P
10:26 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I am enraged! The clear cutting of decades old, healthy trees in our back yard by your forester, is an abomination and , I believe, an act of revenge to those who "dared' to complain about power outages. (Our trees were never involved in any of those outages)! Our lovely backyard retreat is now a clear cut desolate field! Like the logging industry, I feel...

View 0 more photos
H
11:11 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

There have been many companies to work with my family through COVID with my husband and I both losing out jobs at the beginning of this mess, this company is not one of them by any stretch of the means. I pray to God nobody's family ever gets treated the way we did not has to live one day like we have the last couple years. To start we have quite a high...

5:51 pm EDT

American Electric Power Company [AEP] - Electricity not being paid for by electric company reliant

I purchased solar panels. AEP installed a new meter on my home to record the amount of energy used by me and generated by my solar panels. After initially paying me for any excess energy my solar panels generated, Reliant has now notified me they will not pay me for any extra energy I produce. This is stealing my energy. I am putting my extra energy into the grid and the Electric companies are selling that energy to other customers. It is my understanding they are doing this to all solar panel owners. This is not right and needs to be fixed now. Why should I produce energy without being paid for putting it into their grid.

Desired outcome: Need the power companies to start paying for the extra energy that customers with solar panels are putting back into the grid.

C
7:12 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I had switched the electric to my name and was put on HEAP and PIPP due to losing my job and being a single mother. I did know the previous account holder who just wanted the electric out of his name because of how high the electric bill was getting and with the lack of income we were unable to pay a $625 electric bill every month with my rent being $700...

9:18 am EST

American Electric Power Company [AEP] - AEP Service

We have been waiting eight weeks for AEP to connect our power, it's been one excuse after another. They said they were 55 transformers short for Calhoun County. After electrical inspection they wanted a different meter can. then I got dropped off the schedule by accident. Then they said it would happen Friday 2/11/22, they should up and said they may have to trim some trees and left. Our office has been built and all furniture and equipment installed. The cost of down time is phenomenal, and they aren't even making an effort. AEP has a large board and many area supervisors who are completely impossible to contact. With service like this I can understand why they don't want their contact information listed.

Desired outcome: Power connect

B
8:56 am EST

American Electric Power Company [AEP] - Occupancy review

My two children, one who is sickly who needs dialysis every night for 6 hours and myself recently moved to a new address. The previous tenant who lived there before me has a very outstanding bill. I paid the deposit to have my service switched and they have yet to turn my electric on. My children and I had to stay in the cold last night because my lease is up at the other residence. I don’t think my children should have to suffer for someone else’s mistakes. My child need dialysis and I will take this as far as I need to take this if needed too. No one messes with my children’s well being. I paid my dues so why are we having to suffer for someone else’s mistakes.

Desired outcome: My electric turned on for my children’s sake

K
10:30 am EDT

American Electric Power Company [AEP] - Electric turned my new service off while I was working!

I started service with this company and on Friday morning my service was disconnected. They said it was do to not being able to reach me. They had my number wrong and I received no email or knock at door. I was told they wouldn't turn back on until investigation was done in 72hrs. My kids are with out power and I'm at risk of losing my job do that I work from home. I tried to speak with Kathy at Occupancy and my account was noted not to transfer me to her. Mrs Nutter, the Supervisor was no help but did offer to spell her last name to me and said I could put her name down when I file a lawsuit. She would not transfer or tell me how to speak to her supervisor, saying that there was no supervisors but them.. This is a terrible experience and would not use this company if I did not have to. I will file a lawsuit against this company and there employees.

Desired outcome: Someone contact me asap not Monday and turn my electric back on.

6:57 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

3 days ago a man named Albert sent them aep out to disconnecte my power! Having children living in my home some health reasons of my own plus all my food has ruined I'm not able to heat my water to bath I need to get medical help because of this rash places I've got all over me some time yesterday anyway 3 days ago I called to see why my electricity ha...

B
7:45 pm EDT

American Electric Power Company [AEP] - Electric

They are literally screwing people over! They are charging fees that, they shouldn't be! And it's almost as much as the bill! 200.00 in fees! I can barely afford to feed my daughter and this company has been a thorn in my side the last 4 years! They have no compassion, what so ever! I shouldn't be paying almost 300.00 a month for my tiny house ON EVEN billing! I keep my house set at 73! They are seriously a fraud and someone NEEDS to investigate them! Please look into this! There's a reason why they have so many bad reviews and bad ratings with the bbb, but no ones cares to do anything! I have tried reasoning with these people and my bill is almost 300.00 a month for 2, 034 kwh usage! That's not right! Please help me!

Desired outcome: Lower bill/ aep thoroughly investigated! Back pay owed to me!

M
9:09 am EDT

American Electric Power Company [AEP] - I was denied service talked to rude an demand to find the person that live here last got accused of know who it was

I was absolutely disrespected I was told I could get electric an if I didn't know or find who lived here last then no power turned on or pay there bill I have a 4 year old son that my parents was gonna let us lived in the trailer but where homeless no because I was talked to like a dog very rude was told she would hang the phone up an everything I talked to a lawyer tho I have never been talked to the way

Desired outcome: No power an 4 year old son homeless no place to live

C
3:54 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I live at 245 South Bentsen Palmdrive, Palmview Tx 78572. I am calling to make this complaint because I have been calling AEP for a month to report electrical line in my property from pole to pole close to a tree with large branches. I fear this electrical line will cause a fire or explosion if the tree or branch falls. I have reported this x3, same...

S
11:19 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have an open ticket #018718720 (which I found out is now closed) and customer service can't tell me why or what is in the ticket. To quote ' once it is closed, we can't pull it up" Ridiculous! And the previous management company had a ticket, closed. As a property manager I have working on this since 7/2020 AND the association has been working on it since...

N
12:24 am EST

American Electric Power Company [AEP] - Power Bill

I used less KWH this month than I did last month. I was charged 100.00 more. When I called AEP and asked about it. They told me that we are now in Summer rates and that why it is higher. They read my meter on March 9th 2021. How can they say from Feb 9th to March 9th is Summer rates. My bill was 738.00. We keep our thermostat between 68 and 66. I've lived in the same home for 16 years and have never had this high of a Bill. They changed my meter out 2 months ago and magically my bills have skyrocketed. AEP is a huge rip off. I will be heating mostly with propane next year. Someone needs to investigate AEP

7:42 am EST

American Electric Power Company [AEP] - High electric bill

My home electric bill went up too much. I have the best solar system that lights my yard. I do not use Christmas lights. My central heat is up to par. I have a hot water heater blanket and my thermostat is turn to 120. I use a new clothing dryer once a week for an hour. My refrigerator is new. Attic and floors insulated. I have new windows and I still cover my windows on the inside with plastic. I cook twice a day. I replaced my lighting this year in my home to led. I don't know what else I can do that I haven't done. Every time I think I have done better AEP socks me with a high electric bill. Last year I used1.927 kwk this year they said I used 2, 631. I disagree with this. Even if the bill is for 34 days.
I have five new energy savings appliances, stove, new energy saving refrigerator new energy savings washer and dryer and a small energy saving new microwave. Solar lighting outside, led lighting inside. Thank you, Elisa.

Desired outcome: To find out why the increase and for the electric company to educate me more to use less.

4:43 pm EDT

American Electric Power Company [AEP] - Product / customer service / billing

I made two payments 06/03/20 when I called she said and verify a refund and when I called back they said they applied it to the next bill, my complaint is they could call me and find out what I wanted to do, im very upset and I really to be confiscated for my lost they dont know if I was going to pay half on the next bill or not #105-131-652-32 service at 2327 argyle dr columbus oh 43219

F
3:53 am EDT

American Electric Power Company [AEP] - Service

My chief complaint is that I feel during certain times of the year, usually holiday seasons, electric bills spike to ridiculous numbers and the reason is not the weather changes. It is because there are community groups (Non-Profit) and churches that will help pay bills for people who meet qualifications (wage criteria) during that time. I know AEP in southeastern KY is taking advantage of this fact and spiking bills to extreme amounts. It is shameful and blatant abuse. The first thing they suggest is for you to contact one of these groups (i.e. LKLP). I also think my meter readings are incorrect each month and I'm going to start proving it. Not one time have I ever seen anyone come read the meter. There is no way my average bill should be over 300 for this trailer. It is theft by manipulation and preying on the poor. I cant wait until another company comes in this area because being the only provider means they can do whatever they want.

T
4:11 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I called on 5.22.19 @ 2pm CST and spoke with CSR Ryan who failed to listen effectively. I had to repeat my questions, and Ryan didn't listen well and was rambling off information not needed or requested. Ryan got upset when asked for his name. Ryan put me on hold without even acknowledging he was doing so as well as not even asking me, if I don't mind being...

L
3:54 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

This company makes it impossible for people to pay such high bills. When service is interrupted it takes 1-10 business days to restore. There is no help for consumers trying to fight the company. This is not right, someone needs to stop this. People are suffering and corporations such as aep are allowed to do whatever they want and the consumer has to accept it

12:36 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I've called and asked for a service person to come out and look at our meter. Customer service via phone call was very rude and Very Unprofessional. All I would like is for someone to come out and look at our meter and explain how AEP works in regards of obtaining information. I know many people have complained about a higher bill this winter. I want...

American Electric Power Company [AEP] contacts