American Electric Power Company [AEP] Logo

American Electric Power Company [AEP]

Having problems with American Electric Power Company [AEP]?

American Electric Power Company [AEP] Customer Service Contacts

+1 614 716 1000 (Head Office)
+1 800 277 2177 (Customer Service)
+1 800 956 4237 (Appalachian Power)
+1 800 672 2231 (AEP Ohio)
+1 877 373 4858 (AEP Texas)
+1 800 311 4634 (Indiana Michigan Power)
+1 888 216 3523 (Public Service Company of Oklahoma)
+1 800 572 1113 (Kentucky Power)
1 Riverside Plz
Columbus, Ohio
United States - 43215-2355

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with American Electric Power Company [AEP] Customer Service. Initial American Electric Power Company [AEP] complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for American Electric Power Company [AEP] above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about American Electric Power Company [AEP]. Discuss the issues you have had with American Electric Power Company [AEP] and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Complaints & Reviews

AEPProduct / customer service / billing

I made two payments 06/03/20 when I called she said and verify a refund and when I called back they said they applied it to the next bill, my complaint is they could call me and find out what I wanted to do, im very upset and I really to be confiscated for my lost they dont know if I was going to pay half on the next bill or not #[protected] service at 2327 argyle dr columbus oh 43219

American Electric Power Company [AEP]Service

My chief complaint is that I feel during certain times of the year, usually holiday seasons, electric bills spike to ridiculous numbers and the reason is not the weather changes. It is because there are community groups (Non-Profit) and churches that will help pay bills for people who meet qualifications (wage criteria) during that time. I know AEP in southeastern KY is taking advantage of this fact and spiking bills to extreme amounts. It is shameful and blatant abuse. The first thing they suggest is for you to contact one of these groups (i.e. LKLP). I also think my meter readings are incorrect each month and I'm going to start proving it. Not one time have I ever seen anyone come read the meter. There is no way my average bill should be over 300 for this trailer. It is theft by manipulation and preying on the poor. I cant wait until another company comes in this area because being the only provider means they can do whatever they want.

T
      May 22, 2019

AEP Customer Service Department — csr / supervisor in customer service department

I called on 5.22.19 @ 2pm CST and spoke with CSR Ryan who failed to listen effectively. I had to repeat my...

L

American Electric Power Company [AEP] — electric bill

This company makes it impossible for people to pay such high bills. When service is interrupted it takes 1-10...

Princeton
      E

AEP Energy — the method of determine my power usage.

I've called and asked for a service person to come out and look at our meter. Customer service via phone...

J

AEP Energy — new account startup

This company must derive pleasure from the misery of customers because I have been receiving the runaround...

AEP Energyaccounting

American Electric Power aka: AEP
      Unless you notify AEP that you are switching from there monthly budget plan to paying only the monthly actual usage amount they will automatically charge you a late payment fee.

No where could I find in the monthly billing statement that you had to notify AEP if you switch the payment plans (budget to actual usage). If you do change to actual usage and do not notify them, you will be charged this late payment fee for every month that this continues.

I called and discussed this issue with an AEP representative. They would not budge on cancelling this unfair injustice. The conversation became a little heated with no result. I requested speaking to there supervisor, but instead she said the she would. After she talked to the Supervisor, this resulted in having the late payment fees removed.

BUT the representative threatened me by saying that from now on if you do not pay any of your payments on time as scheduled they will come back and add on the original late fees they charged me from the get go
      AEP in my opinion is ripping off customers from an accounting view standpoint by not letting the customers know, that if you do change from a budget plan to an actual usage plan, you need to contact them or late fees will apply. Sad very sad!!

U

AEP Energy — Paid deposit almost a month ago was denied service at the rental property

I paid 500$ to get services from aep power company I'd rented a place paid my 500$ deposit they came shut...

A

AEP Energy, Inc — undisclosed services

when i switched electric companies from DP&L Energy to AEP Energy, i was not informed i could not sign up for...

I

AEP Energy, Inc — Early Termination Fee

Do not sign a contract with AEP Energy. They will totally mislead you with monthly savings and then hit you...

C

AEP Energy — Outrageous cancellation fee

My county (Richland) advised us to sign up for this low cost electricity. I found a green provider of...

AEP Electric&Lost& my payment

I paid my electric bill to AEP Electric and they use Western Union. This isn't the first time Western Union has done this to me, they need to be sued. I don’t know who is guilty but I simply want to get money back. Is AEP Electric lying that they didn’t get the money or western union lost it?

SAEPCFake

So, I recieved the following message in a free online email account. This could happen to you to.

I am Mr Fasi Mandisi, Director of Bid/Project Implementation South Africa 2010 FIFA world cup hosting committee, I apologized using this medium to reach you for a transaction/business of this magnitude. Be informed that I got your particulars from a member of the South Africa Export Promotion Council (SAEPC) who was at the Government delegation to your country during a trade exhibition. I have decided to seek a confidential co-operation with you in the execution of the deal described hereunder for the benefit of all parties and hope you will keep it confidential because of the nature of this transaction.

you must be aware now that my country south Africa won the bid to host the world cup by 2010, prior to this bid my committee was mandated to lobby the members of board of Federation International Football Association (FIFA) on selection of the country to host the world cup, the bidding was intensive but at the end we got the hosting right.My committee was given the sum of $29 million dollars to lobby the members of the FIFA ruling body to make sure that we win the hosting right. Considering the gain that comes with the hosting right, South Africa's economy will receive a massive direct boost from hosting the 2010 World Cup.

Financial impact report for South Africa's World Cup bid committee shows that the 2010 World Cup will pump R21.3-billion into South Africa's economy, and creating an estimated 159000 new jobs. with the help the living legend of our time 86-year-old Nobel Peace Prize winner Dr.Nelson Mandela who made an emotive case for South Africa, we got the bid without spending all the money, I and my committee members saw this as a God sent opportunity to secure our future and that of our family therefor, l was mandated by other committee members to look for a way to move the remaining money to a safe place with the help of a foreigner who we can trust and is ready to assists to move the funds considering the fact that we are still members of the bid/project committee.

we have in our possession the sum $21millon since we spent just $8million for lobbying. we are ready to give you 20% for all your assistance me and my colleague will keep 80% if you are willing, kindly reply to my letter and further directive will be given to you. Bearing in mind that confidentiality is of great essence so is time, I will await your response.

I wait in anticipation of your fullest co-operation.

Yours faithfully,

Fasi Mandisi

american electric powerRate Hikes

I have a 960 sq. ft. home that my 83 year old mother and I share. We went on the budget last Feb 2010. The budget started off @ $111.00 then 113.00 then 138.00 then $140.00 and today it went to $188.00.

HELP!

STOP AEP RATE INCREASES OR GIVE US ANOTHER OPTION! Will you fight or be drove into poverty?

Chris Kitts Brewster Start calling and emailing your representatives and your governor...we have harassed the crap out of ours. It is about time they honor their campaign promises and not allow SWVA to get left behind and crapped on. Enuff peeps harass enuff and things start happening...don't sit back and take it. Stand up and speak out!!!

Michael Colna Nearly 8000 people have signed the petition at www.wardarmstrong.com. Can you help us reach 10, 000?! Please share the petition link with your friends and family!! And stay tuned for the latest on continuing the fight to rein in Appalachian Power's rate hikes!!!

STOP AEP RATE INCREASES OR GIVE US ANOTHER OPTION! Americans have no problem paying a fair price for a good product... But for now we are stuck paying a very inflated price for a mediocre product.

Nicole Ballard I hate paying the big power bills too, but recently in Tazewell County Virginia, they had the oppotunity to have an alternative power source (wind turbines) and they shut it down because they said they want to be able o set and look at the mountain tops with trees. Dont get me wrong I like looking at them too, but i like to stay warm and have a lil bit of money to say buy food with rather than pay AEP those outrageous bills of 600 a month like some people are.

STOP AEP RATE INCREASES OR GIVE US ANOTHER OPTION! The SCC wrote me back today to inform me of why our bills are so high: 1. APCo has no obligation to its customers to accurately meter their usage. (its a guess, meaning they charge what they want.) 2. Of course...the many increases AEP filed for and the SCC found to be of just cause. 3.longer billing period 34 days ins...tead of 30 (I guess we used that extra $300 of power in those 4 days?) 4. Its cold

STOP AEP RATE INCREASES OR GIVE US ANOTHER OPTION! So they basically told on themselves for unjust billing practices. Instead of being charged fairly for the amount we use, our bills are based on guesses. So all the money we have spent on "Green" practices such as insulation, heat pumps, and leaving our thermostats at 60 degrees actually saves us nothing.

Breanne Weller Jackson AEP; What a crock...

Alice Hawkins Price AEP knows that they have us right where they want us!!They know we have no other alternative !! I am so sick of paying 4 and 5 hundred $ elec. bills no wonder noone can aford to feed there kids!!!

STOP AEP RATE INCREASES OR GIVE US ANOTHER OPTION! What do you keep your thermostat on? Ours stays at 65...

STOP AEP RATE INCREASES OR GIVE US ANOTHER OPTION! Please dont forget to sign the petition via the link on this page. The more support, the more change!

STOP AEP RATE INCREASES OR GIVE US ANOTHER OPTION! Oh how wonderful it is... to sit in the dark freezing. Wouldn't it be nice to go back to the days when we could turn our heat up a few degrees and not be charged $1000 a month?
            Barbara Childers Hunt How true!!! AEP knows they sre our only option, so they can charge whatever they want, and they pay the politicians enough so they do what AEP wants, not what the people who elected them want.

Robin Edmonds my light bills has been as high as 1800.00 for one month in the winter...usually every Jan or Feb

STOP AEP RATE INCREASES OR GIVE US ANOTHER OPTION! Oh no, another snow storm... Since these storms are obviously our fault..I guess our bills will go up another 150%

STOP AEP RATE INCREASES OR GIVE US ANOTHER OPTION! I wonder how much power AEP CEO's and SCC members use each month?
            Janie Snyder Well that sucks! So what is the answer to this problem; you know AEP will keep raising their rates?

STOP AEP RATE INCREASES OR GIVE US ANOTHER OPTION! One company running basically the whole state is a monopoly in my book...

STOP AEP RATE INCREASES OR GIVE US ANOTHER OPTION! Dont forget to sign the petition in the links section

STOP AEP RATE INCREASES OR GIVE US ANOTHER OPTION! Will we fight for our families? yes we will! these continued hikes will push many into poverty... Please stand up! Unite! Hard working families should not have to sell their home to pay for their power!

STOP AEP RATE INCREASES OR GIVE US ANOTHER OPTION! only you can bring about real change!

STOP AEP RATE INCREASES OR GIVE US ANOTHER OPTION! STAND UP VIRGINIA! let your voice be heard!

STOP AEP RATE INCREASES OR GIVE US ANOTHER OPTION! Please invite your friend to join us in this fight. Remember to call!

STOP AEP RATE INCREASES OR GIVE US ANOTHER OPTION! Just posted contact numbers for public officials under the "Discussions" tab. Please take the time to call these people! If we dont call, we can’t complain when our power bills are $2, 000.

STOP AEP RATE INCREASES OR GIVE US ANOTHER OPTION! Please take the time to sign the petition. Only you can change this unjust and unfair practice! http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/stop-aep-and-the-virginia-scc-from-destroying-american-families

STOP AEP AND THE VIRGINIA SCC FROM DESTROYING AMERICAN FAMILIES - The Petition Site
            www.thepetitionsite.com
            only we can stop them from destroying american families

STOP AEP RATE INCREASES OR GIVE US ANOTHER OPTION! Bombard you state and local representatives with phone calls, emails, and letters. Let them know we will not stand for this strong armed robbery!

STOP AEP RATE INCREASES OR GIVE US ANOTHER OPTION! Are you tired of trying to conserve energy because it seems like the less you use the more they charge?

STOP AEP RATE INCREASES OR GIVE US ANOTHER OPTION! How much did your power bill increase this month? Please suggest us to your friends!

Jean Hanna Davis Next time there's a hearing, we should show up. The hearing for this was in June.

STOP AEP RATE INCREASES OR GIVE US ANOTHER OPTION

• Bi
                BigDaddy MoBaddie Jan 29, 2015

I have lived in third world countries that had better power than I get in a suburban neighborhood near Canton. And, to add insult to injury, their rates are terrible. Yeesh!

• Aj
                ajpates Sep 29, 2010

wow thats crazy!! they are sticking it to you!!

AEPbilling

This company continues to raise prices. They will bill costomers without approval and once the raise is denied they refund the money to all the customers. This is not right, but however legal. I lived in a trailer worked as a manager and lived on my own. I could leave my heat off for 12 hours a day and still get a bill of 2-500 dollars. THis is absolutly ridiculus to raise prices like that in the economy that we are having to day. They had enough money to go around and replace all the meter boxes. I told customer services i didnt agree with the reader and wanted a second opinion, i was refused to have a second opinion. Due to not that many power resources, i have no option but to continue to pay if want electricity.

• Ge
                  george george the jungle Jan 05, 2013

keep voting for corrupt Goverment and we keep getting screwed. Obama what a joke of a president. why cant he stop big companys from screwing people. Maybe hes getting some kickback in his pocket for doing nothing. Yeah hes for the people alright. people sending us these power bills. I was just told that Appalachian power has no payment plans. lol these telemarketing csr's need to know what the company can and will do. been paying 164 for 3 years and get bill today for 569.87. wtf. alot of bs charges. keep screwing the people ought to be his saying. Im so tired of seeing these linemen standing on side of road working (AEP) 1 working 8 holding cups of coffee. guess these BS charges are for thier coffee. Ill pay your damn bill with a note inside saying FY too.gets me when someone who doesnt even make 360 dollars a week cant eat or cook food cause all his money goes for power. not food or anything else but power. if you dont cook and allways at work with nothing on at home. why the hell is bill so high. time to invest in sandbags. Our Goverment sucks along with Appalachian power. Keep voting for these dumb ### in office.

• Dh
                  dhayn Feb 28, 2011

they charge me a deposit after winter charges for the last 3 years and my electric has not been turned off. i could see if it was turned off and require one when turned back on. but this is not the case.

• Ru
                  rut May 22, 2010

SO TRUE, AND WHAT THEY ARE DOING KNOW IS CLAIMING TO PUT CONSUMERS ON A PAYMENT PLAN, AND YOU TALK WITH THESE PEOPLE FOR 2O MINUTES AND WHEN YOUR LIGHT BILL COME ITS STATES YOU OWE 385.00 OR YOUR SERVICE WILL BE CUT OFF, YOU CALL AND ASK WHAT ABOUT THE PAYMENT PLAN, THEY WILL STATE TO YOU, YOU SUPPOSE TO PAY WHATEVER AMOUNT THAT DAY YOU CALL AND THEN CALL US BACK AND CONFIRM THE PAYMENT PLAN, NONE OF THIS WAS STATED TO THE CONSUMER THE DAY OF THE FIRST CONVERSATION BUT THEY WILL HAVE IT DOCUMENTED ON THEIR COMPUTER THAT IT WAS.THIS COMPANY IS MONOPOLIZING RIGHT KNOW BECAUSE THEY KNOW WE AS CONSUMERS NEEDS LIGHTS AND ITS WRONG SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE CAN SOMEONE FIND SOMEONE WHO WE AS CONSUMERS CAN FIND AWAY TO COMPLAIN TO CONGRESS OR SOMEONE TO PUT A STOPPAGE TO THE MONOPOLIZING OF THIS ONE COMPANY

• Po
                  POWERmaker Mar 14, 2010

Here is another problem I have found. Some of the Electric companies are very biased. Business rates vary from consumer rates. I have seen people denied being allowed to have their electric turned on, because of certain people having "POWER" to authorize your electric to be turned on. One local individual, plays favorites towards electrical contractors. And if you get them mad, they won't even turn your electric on. And the PUCO boards are a scam, you have to go thru 100's of hurdles to get a meeting, and they know that.

If anyone else knows of power companies, giving preferential treatment towards "Certain" electrical contractors, and now turning peoples electric on, unless they give "Tithes" to these certain contractors, people need to post about it.