Having problems with DirecTV?

DirecTV reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Jul 20, 2006. The latest review Deceptive charges. lies was posted on Apr 16, 2021. The latest complaint installation at my home on nov. 26, 2019 was resolved on Dec 27, 2019. DirecTV has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 2002 reviews. DirecTV has resolved 536 complaints.

DirecTV Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 531 5000 (Customer Service)
2230 E Imperial Hwy
Thu8:00 AM - 12:00 AM
Fri8:00 AM - 12:00 AM
Sat8:00 AM - 12:00 AM
Sun8:00 AM - 12:00 AM

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with DirecTV Customer Service. Initial DirecTV complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for DirecTV above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about DirecTV. Discuss the issues you have had with DirecTV and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

DirecTV Complaints & Reviews

Direct TV — refused to let me speak to a supervisor

Yesterday I contacted your customer service department and spoke with a lady named Jamila I started off the...

Direct TVfraudulent billing practices

Direct TV is guilty of grand theft from what I can see. First we decided to cancel with Direct TV due to lousy programming options and the bill went up quite a bit. They informed us they would be deducting $316. out of our credit account, I froze my account at that point, then they sent us the boxes and because we upgraded in November of 09 with a receiver we "bought" at Best Buy they said that meant we had "extended" our contract for 2 years, ( ???), My husband spoke with a rep of Direct TV and he told us we had to send back all the receivers. Two regular receivers and two HI Def receivers. My husband informed him that one of the high Def receivers was purchased by us for $100. at Best Buy, he said we had to return that to them too, (HUH???)
We requested a breakdown or itemization of this $316.00 bill that we supposedly owed them, they sent us a copy of a contract with no signature by either of us on it and the only thing we saw was a $15. cancellation fee. It said nothing about a 2 yr. contract, early termination fee or anything. Do they just make these things up or what. What a bunch of crooked people running this company. Anyway, we decided to file a complaint with the Comsumer Protection people and we are definitely NOT paying these crooks another red cent.

M A Adams Jul 08, 2010

You're smart not to sign on with them. They're Robber Barrons, unscrupulous, and heartless. Further, their programming stinks. 90% of their channels are infomercials. They stink all the way around

• Ca
      caroline moore Jan 04, 2008

I have just written a complaint ,but did not date it . For those of you who will be writting a complaint please date it the day of your complaint and put the dates of your contacts ,if possible the costomer service rep. number. This will be helpful if you take them to court. I made a mistake and did not do this.Good luck to all of us who is experiencing this grave injustice from direct tv.todays date is 1/4/08 I spoke to Direct tv on this same date.

• Ca
      caroline moore Jan 04, 2008

I hav recieved a bill in error. A ticket for the NFL was ordered by who ,i don't know. Diect tv is expecting me to pay for something that i did not order. my husband has spent countless hours trying to have this corrected but to no avail. they try to make you think you are stupid. just like how they punched that NFL ticket in, they can punch it out,and make corections to our bill.to date this has not been done .what are we to do .we are under contract and it will cost us $400.00 to get out of the contract. it would be less to pay the bill. this is just not fair. how long does this go on. they can continually make mistakes and we as consumers have to payfor their errors. we need help.this must come to a stop.

Jon Cote Sep 26, 2007

I discontinued my service via telephone with DIRECT TV, 5 days later I was checking my bank statement on-line only to find out the DIRECT TV debited my bank account for $173.00 not once but TWICE for a total of $346.00. I called DIRECT TV to ask the why my bank account had been debited without my permission. I was given the run-around and asked to speak to a supervisor (which I realize is just the next closest phone clerk in the area) I was told that I would be sent a refund in 10-12 weeks. Oh, hell no, I DID NOT AUTHORIZE YOU TO DEBIT 1 PENNY. I want my account credid it TODAY. Obviously DIRECT TV does not care about the damage they have done and will not take any responsibility for their fraudulent billing practices. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY TO MY WORST ENEMY. DO NOT EVER INPUT YOUR BANK INFORMATION INTO THEIR SYSTEM. THEY WILL STEAL YOUR MONEY IN A HEARTBEAT. As it turns out I went to my bank to have an investigation which should result in my total refund... SCREW DIRECT TV.

Direct TVextended contract without my knowledge

I have been a direct tv custome for 3 years. My original contract was for two years. Last year I purchased an additional receiver on line. Yesterday I called direct tv to cancel my service due to high bill. They told me that my contract had been extended for two years becausen I activated a new receiver. The also stated that the receiver I purchased on line was actually theirs and that i'm only leasing it. Great racket huh? - - they extend my contract without giving me any notice or benefit for it. Does anyone know how I can fight this?

• Jg
        JGoss Mar 01, 2012

Same exact thing happened to me, it cost me $340 to cancel. Most unethical business I've ever delt with. STAY AWAY!!!

• Jg
        JGoss Mar 01, 2012

Same exact thing happened to me, it cost me $340 to cancel. Most unethical business I've ever felt with. STAY AWAY!!!

• Au
        Audrey Talley-Rush Jul 06, 2010

This happened to me... is tell any and everyone I can tell "STAY AWAY FROM DIRECT TV" they are not honest... these contracts should be investigated!

Direct TV — service interruptions

Since I have changed from Comcast cable TV to Direct TV (satelite), I have had many problems with the...

Direct TVthey left multiple wires exposed and just thrown over the bushes on the side of my house

I signed a contract in june 2008 for the 29.99 a month fee. my 1st bill reflected a much higher charge - i was told by customer service it would be corrected on my next bill. my next bill was still not corrected ...called customer service again and was told it would be corrected by my next bill, again, still not corrected - i was not paying the full bill each time - only what i was supposed to be paying. after 2 more incorrect bills and more phome calls, my bill was never corrected to reflect the correct amount. my service were shut off because of the overages that i was not paying - when i called customer service for the last time i was told that it could be corrected but i would still have to pay for the overages because they said i "had the services and had to pay for what was given to me" i have been told since day one that the bills would be correct - they never were and now they are trying to charge me for services i never ordered. they also took over 300.00 out of my account for the payment - i have had them reversed. i would never recommend direct tv for anyone - not worth the time or the trouble - pay a little more for the better service, in the long run you will save money and get what you pay for. by the way, when they installed the cable in my home they left multiple wires exposed and just thrown over the bushes on the side of my house - horrible job.

Direc TV / Satellite Servicecancellation fees for suspended service

I decided to rent my home out, and called Direct TV in 2009 to alert them I would no longer be requiring their services. Since I owned my equipment, and had met my contract obligations, I was told I could suspend my account for 6 months. I was also told I could do this twice a year. The purpose was it would be a simple "flip of the switch" and I would have my satellite service back - no hassle!

Suspension time was up because the tennants opted to stay longer - I decided to extend the suspension service which I was told I could do for another 6 months, via a representative by telephone. I was told, however, it would cost me 31.00 to do so. What? Really!?! Why am I paying just for the priviledge of having a suspended account, for service I am not receiving? When questioning the rep. what the 31.00 charge was for, the answer, I still don't understand. No one ever told me there would be a suspension charge, either verbally, or in writing. I don't think so. I refused to pay for anything, for any reason - I even had a credit when my account went into suspension - and asked the account and service be cancelled. I was transferred to the cancellation department, and after explaining the situation, and my frustrations, the representative was not listening to me, because she continued to pitch various services I could add to my account. Hello, I want to cancel because I do not like your customer service policies - and do not want your service. What part of that is confusing? I told the representative after cancelling, I have no intention of paying any fees of any kind, for any reason - and I would expect a refund for the credit. We shall see!

Satellite Direc TV — scam

As I've been researching TV entertainment options for my new move today, I began to see online TV as an...

SatelliteDirec TVscam its not working in usa

I am charged for above order till date its not working nor they have reply and email
          Please register case so as to save others
          [protected]@gmail.com

Dear sailesh rughani
          Satellitedirect would like to thank you for your order! The charge on your statement will be from clkbank*com. You can contact us at any time at your convenience and one of our customer support representative would get back to within 24 hours. Your support email is [protected]@satellitedirect. Tv

You can now download satellitedirect from:

Http://www.Satellitedirect. Tv/mac/win_user/download. Html
          Please find below the invoice / order details.

Order number : jcpe98lf

Registration code : 30beee8e316a56c5f24fb8930
          Item : satellitedirect

Country : us

Purchased time may 09, 2010, 15:51:33 pm

Please note: the charge on your statement will be from clkbank*com
          Sincerely,
          Satellitedirect billing department
          www.Satellitedirect. Tv

• Wo
              woody pendleton May 01, 2012

where did discovery channels go?/ can not get deadliest catch, occ or many of the programs on the channels. most are full of sales promos for pakistan or india products. please restore the right programming.

• It's HARD to find a legitimate review because this DAMNED CROOKED COMPANY HAS

PAID GOOGLE OFF TO PLACE THEIR FAVORABLE LIES ABOUT THE COMPANY
              AS
              LEGITIMATE REVIEWS WHEN THEY'RE NOT.

That AGAIN CONFIRMS to me what's been obvious for two years now. Google is crooked and and can't be trusted to return accurate results but will place responses according to who PAYS THEM.

Masao Onaga Sep 12, 2010

Yo estoy de acuerdo con la demanda porque tambien he tenido problemas para ver los canales que ellos ofresen y es mas, ni siquiera he podido ver una pelicula y para colmo mi computadora se malogro y al obtener otra, quise entrar nuevamente y no pude, hasta que le mande un e-mail a [email protected] y hasta ahora no he tenido respuesta. Mi nombre es Masao Onaga mi codigo de registro es : e686dd1f9832571ed253eb59b, y tengo la copia impresa del pago que hice con tarjeta de credito al CLKBANK* COM, y tambien hago mi queja, porque si veo que es una gran estafa, por si acaso yo marque que esta queja es util, gracias por permitir dar mi comentario, yo vivo en Japon.

Direct TVdamage claim

While installing directv, a tech broke a brand new hp touchsmart computer. I filed the claim and it was declined because the tech denied dropping the computer and I did not personally see him do it although I heard the crash. A representative from the office of the president called to say the fault did not rest with directv because it was not them but their insurance company that denied the claim. Although it was their tech installing their product that caused the damage, they say they are not liable. Is that accurate? Can you recommend a course of action?

• Ka
                kathryn parkerson Mar 10, 2013

this is kathryn parkerson and i had a man come out to my house to add more boxes to room and he made a mess and broke my x box left wire hangin and i cant open my door i trip over the wire and put alot of unnessary holes and i want a refune and i want a new x box he stayed on the phone texting compainted alot and just rude pls call me [protected]

Direct TV — fraudulent charges and unauthorized withdraws

Stay away from this fraudulent company. If any private citizen employed the same tactics as these crooks they...

Direct TVextremely frustrated, unsatisfied, upset, angry, disappointed customer

A letter I wrote to Direct TV...no response of course: I have never been as frustrated as I have been EVER than I was yesterday with your “customer service”. I understand you probably get tons of emails daily from angry customers especially if they all have to deal with what I have with only 48 hours with your company so far. First, we were scheduled for installation on Saturday the 22nd between 12-4pm. We received a confirmation call at 330 saying he would be there within half an hour and by 530 I was on hold for 45 minutes trying to find out where he was. They said he was not able to make it but NO ONE CALLED . I spent my only day off work sitting at the house not able to get anything done because I was waiting and then had a no show. Finally t hey agreed to come out Sunday morning since I refused to take another day off work and my husband is a marine recruiter with crazy hours so the weekend was the only option. They showed up around 9am…and had to return 3 times in the day, the last time around 130 pm. The installer kept forgetting pieces of equipment he needed so he couldn’t set us up, and then called later to say he installed the wrong receiver and was almost to our house so we turned around from our lunch date and came home. The cable works great we are excited to have DVR etc.

Of course…36 hours after installation I received my bill (funny your cancellation policy is 24 hours, and I don’t get my bill till after that time frame). My husband had spent about 45 minutes on the phone on May 10th around 10pm with a very nice woman who helped us pick the best program for us that would help us save money. We are a newlywed military couple living on a tight budget and what she proposed would save us about 30 dollars a month than the cable company we had been using. We were so excited! Plus you guys offered more/DVR, HD/receiver in our bedroom for still, a cheaper price. The representative broke down the costs..provided us what our first month bill would be, arranged set up, set up the referral discount through my father who raves about direct TV, etc. She was wonderful. She said she was taking care of everything and there was “nothing else we needed to do”. However she never EVER mentioned a rebate, never mentioned if we didn’t do the rebate we would be paying almost double, never mentioned we had to go online to get a rebate, said she was taking care of things which I assumed that meant this was the price that’s what I will pay. My bill clearly showed that was not the case. I called during my lunch break yesterday and after 45 minutes on hold waiting for a supervisor after your customer service agents told me there was nothing they could do this was my bill price, My lunch break ended and I tried again after work.

On my second call after 30 minutes on hold waiting for a supervisor I spoke with someone, who as a training coordinator who spends all of her day teaching people how to provide good customer service, has no business being in the customer service world. He was unbelievably unhelpful, told me it was all my fault for not reading my husband’s emails the night we set things up with the agent to see the price, told me too bad, etc. I told him we were NEVER told about the rebates and he said well I know I always check my emails for order confirmations…so if you had done that you would have seen your price and known to s submit a rebate. So it is now my responsibility to do the job of your agent and make sure I was told all of the correct information? He told me things get left out in phone calls sometimes, so I should have double checked. Should my husband have read the email sure, but should your agent have given us correct information, YES! This was not a minor detail to leave out…this was the difference between joining direct TV or not. I am now paying MORE than I was with my last company without internet access…are you joking!?!?! So after 36 hours of having direct TV I said I wanted to cancel…not forever but so we could set the rebate up correctly now that we have been informed (very rudely, but still informed) and install all over again. He told me the cancellation fee was 480 dollars which is absolutely insane in the first place…I hadn’t even been using your “services” for 48 hours…I was horrified…being on a budget means we carefully searched for a company that would save us the most money…you…if you were an honest company. I understand customer service representatives make mistakes…he kept asking me what do you want, a phone call that she has been reprimanded?? NO not at all, I want to be taken care of in spite of her mistake. Should she be fired, of course not! She made a mistake but as a manager it is their job to fix the issues that are caused. Is the customer always right, maybe not but they need to feel like it. He told me if I didn’t like his solution of submitting the rebate and waiting 8 weeks for it to come into play (meaning…I pay 2 months of an EXTREMELY high bill) then I could not submit the rebate and pay the high bill until my contract ends. Unbelievable..that is not a solution it is a “too bad…you’re out of luck” comment.

When I love a company everyone knows…when I feel like one is shady, has lied to me, treated me very poorly, and I want nothing to do with them..MORE people know. You have the potential to be a very great company and I’m sure one caller means absolutely nothing to you in the big scheme of things…but for my company it means a lot. We bend over backwards to keep our customers coming back for more, and want each individual to feel like they are the most important client. They are, if you lose one it won’t be long before others start to leave as well. I am not looking for anything great, I’m looking for the price I was promised before my first bill is due. Or I want completely out of direct TV which I know the company doesn’t want, and my husband certainly doesn’t want. I know 34 dollars on a bill isn’t too much to ask …I don’t know why I cannot get any results or any sort of empathy from a lack of instruction by a CSR. Please let me know what you can do. Again, I know you’re a very important guy, if you have read this far…thanks. Otherwise, I will continue to send my letters daily online until someone pays attention.

• Ju
                  June Jan 22, 2017

I urge all people that complaints about Direct TV and their deceptive sales practices to sell their service to people to file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. There is a page there for filing complaints against internet and TV providers.

MaD&FrUsTrAtEd! Jan 06, 2016

You dealt with WAY more than i. Like you, I sent my complaint to Direct TV, of course no response. We are All such busy hard working people, as we are the only ones that can afford these ridiculous rates. And finding time to jump through hoops is difficult. Here's my email;
                  I am SO furious!
                  9:45pm: finally sit to inquire about Internet service. Live Chat Verizon : they sorry, they don't provide services in my area. They suggested Direct TV.
                  10:00pm: live chat Direct TV. Krista says Congratulations we provide services to your address! Let me have my supervisor call you right now. I say I would prefer more info with chat (as it would require me to get up & relocate for a call). She says do I want only tv? Or tv & Internet? I say I only want Internet, is that an option? She said : Yes, can't tell you prices on chat, it will only take 3-5 mins, or is another time better? (No other time is better because busy busy schedules) ok then I agree. I relocate. I get note pad & pen.
                  10:10pm: Krista calls & transfers me to Grey. (Which, by the way, was a pleasure to get through things with Grey! Can't say enough for him! His part was the only pleasurable part of dealing with Direct TV tonight!)
                  He runs my ss# and comments that I qualify for the best deals with great credit score. Together we figured out everything I would take along with the Internet that initiated my "live chat".
                  Finally 40 mins later, set up install, verified TV plan, time to transfer to set up the Internet. After few mins, Grey comes back saying that nobody is answering so I should hang up with him and then call back in 1 min to that number and set up Internet.
                  I'm exhausted, forgot to call until after I sat back down on couch. Get back up, relocate again. Call the number he gave me. Get Cerise. Verify name. Verify address. Verify phone number. Verify - verify. She tells me to hold while she sets up a provider (at this point that 3-5 min phone call is now over an hour long! Cerise comes back on phone and tells me ... ready???? ■ "I'm Sorry, we don't have any Internet Providers that service your address" !!! ■ Over an hour!!! How ?!?!?! Krista verified service for Internet to my address ... Grey verified service for internet to my address !!! Internet was the ONLY service I wanted!!! I only agreed to TV because it was cheeper with TV & Internet than it was for internet only!! Now, after all night someone finally figures out that they cannot provide INTERNET? !?!?! Grrrr!!!

Direct TVunfair billing and poor costumer service

Do yourself a favor and do away with all cable and satellite companies period. I have had directv dis-service for the last two years against my wishes, but had been locked in by an agreement that was never explained to me by the customer disservice misrepresentative. Finally, after my two years, I discover my contract had been extended due to an exchange in my receiver. I had unknowingly been obligated to an additional six months of overcharges and shoddy reception. I have now spent a total of 19 hours arguing my bills with incompetent people that have no ability to affect the outcome anyway. So, I am revolting against cable. I refuse to pay my disconnection fee that I should not have to pay due to their inept business and service. I am not paying for services that I had not used. They conviently have no records of the calls that I had made to cancel my service and are charging me for three months of service when the box was not even turned on. And to top it all off, I had to wait a day and a half for their service techs to come in and install this stupid system, yet I am the one that must take more of my time and box up the equipment and ship it back to them, only, I am predicting, to be receiving a notice in the mail that they never received my equipment and I will charged several hundred dollars for the unreturned equipment.
                I will say, however, there was one bright spot in my dealings. I did some research and discovered the office of the president and highly recommend calling them to handle your complaints. Although my bill has not been satisfactorily decreased, ms. Helen rodriguez, did do a lot to talk to me calmly and kindly and reduce a few of these charges. Thank you ms. Rodriguez for giving me hope that someone cares in this impersonal and computerized world. But please don't make me ever have to call the automated system ever again. "yes" and "no" should not be that hard for a computer to distinguish. I spend fifteen minutes yelling at a computer before I even get to talk to a human being. No wonder all I ever want to do is yell at the first person that answers the phone.

Direct TVcancelling premium channels

My god, I cannot believe how difficult it is to cancel premium channels at Directv. I told the representative helping me that I wanted to cancel Starz/Showtime at least three times before he was willing to drop his sales pitch and honor my request. Even telling him that I am currently unemployed (which I am!) had no effect initially upon his spiel. I know that the reps are forced to shove sales down customers throats (based upon my stint at a Sprint call center) with the threat that if they don't meet a certain quota they can be fired. This is such a bad way to do business, but Directv and others go merrily along reaping their millions.

• Sp
                      Spamtastic Jun 21, 2011

Yes, DirecTV is awful when it comes to canceling a premium channel package. I called today to cancel Showtime and Starz. I really wanted to do this over their website, but DirecTV makes canceling premium channels difficult on purpose to keep people from doing so, which means you can't cancel a premium channel through their website. You can add premium channels on their website, but they've prevented people from canceling premium channels online for years.

I called their 800 number and waited on hold for over ten minutes. Without any "hold music" playing in the background, I finally realized my call had not been properly transferred by their computerized phone system, and I had to hang up and start the call over again. This time I got through to an operator in just a few seconds and told him I wanted to cancel those two premium channels. Of course the phone guy immediately asks me if I'd like to keep the channels at a slightly lower, temporary price. I specifically said "No, I only want to cancel the premium channels." He asked me if I was watching them. I said that was not the point - I couldn't afford them and wanted to cancel them. The phone guy (again) started to try and sell me another pitch as to why I should keep the channels - some BS about their exclusive Olympics coverage. I told him - now I'm getting mad - that I don't want to hear any other words coming out of his mouth except "We've canceled your premium channels." I told him I was already on hold for 10+ minutes and had to start the call over, and that I did not want to hear any more of his pitches - I said I realized he was supposed to read all those sales pitches to me, but I strictly wanted to cancel the premium channels. Finally (as I was getting louder and kept insisting that I wanted to cancel), he informed me he was canceling the premium channels in his computer, which somehow took another 45 seconds.

DirecTV makes canceling premium channels difficult on purpose. It is a disgusting tactic - to try and keep people signed up to premiums by making it difficult to cancel them - and I really don't like that DirecTV abuses their customers like this.

Direct TVruined our house while installing directv

We moved from AZ to CO - we had DirecTV in AZ (where we lived in a house), so we had a contract and had to continue with it in CO. We really couldn't afford it, so I was quite pleased when the technician came out and determined we couldn't get a signal (we're on the first floorof our apt and a large building was blocking our only clear view of whatever sky we needed to see). I asked what that meant since we had a contract, and he said he'll call them and tell them we have a line of sight issue and they'll suspend the contract. Ok great. So we go out and buy a DTV converter box and an antenna (since as I mentioned before we couldn't afford Cable/satellite service). A couple of days later my husband calls DirecTV to find out if we needed to mail the receiver boxes back, and they tell him they've changed their mind and they think they can find a signal, and they send out new technicians. These technicians show up, start drilling without my permission (thus breaking our apartment rules), run over my foot with the door, and leave without saying a word to me (while I sat in a bad neighborhood with the doors unlocked thinking the DirecTV guys were still outside working and would need to come back in). While all of this is happening, I'm on the phone with DirecTV telling them they better reimburse us for the DTV converter box and antenna we had purchased and opened (so we could not return them) which we no longer needed since we were being forced to keep our satellite service. They refused - I asked for a supervisor, they left me on hold forever only to have the supervisor also refuse. I kept asking them to explain why it wasn't their fault that their technician had told me we could not have satellite service, and now they were changing their story, and they couldn't. They just kept repeating "there's no way for us to reimburse you for something that wasn't charged to your account." Well then give me however many months free service that will add up to the amount I'm out, idiots! Once I realized that the guys had left, I called DirecTV back and they told me they'd have the technician call me.

The technician called and basically said "what do you want, we were done." I told them there were loose wires just laying on the floor in front of our fireplace, they had damaged the baseboard in the bedroom, they had put the satellite hanging over our balcony bolted in (which wasn't allowed) hanging directly in front of a stairway so people would have to duck to get up the stairs, etc. The guy hung up on me. Eventually after numerous angry calls to DirecTV, they sent a QA guy out who agreed they had done an abysmal job. He said he would send his lead technicians over to take care of it. The technicians came over and agreed that if they followed the rules of the apt complex, they would not be able to get a signal. They took everything down and sort of repaired the damage, and told us that we would be released from their contract. I questioned him saying "you're saying that just like the first technician said that, how do I know when I call they're not going to change their mind and try to send someone else out again?" He told me "I'm the manager and what I say goes, period." I got his name and personal phone number and assumed we were done with it, and for a month and a half we were. But guess what we got a month and a half later...a past due notice from DirecTV for service during the dates we had no longer had the satellite dish. We were furious and called and complained, and the initial contact told us there were no work orders in the system and there was nothing she could do - we would have to pay the bill. We demanded a supervisor and were put on hold for 20 minutes. Finally the girl came back on and said "ok, we're going to submit a waiver." Not good enough - I demanded to actually speak to the supervisor because I wanted his name and ID number since I could pretty much guarantee that two days later no one would have any knowledge of this conversation. She puts me on hold for another ten minutes before the supervisor came on.

To add insult to injury, I asked this supervisor what we should do with our receiver boxes, and he said since we had had our contract for over a year, we owned them and could do what we wanted with them - he was actually the second person to tell us this. We have very limited closet space (as in three closets in the entire apartment) and had abolutely nowhere to put them, and contemplated selling them or pitching them if they weren't worth anything since we had no space and were literally having to lay them on the floor, but knowing DirecTV we figured we'd better hang onto them just in case. Sure enough, guess what phone call I just got today...an automated message from DirecTV saying that they're mailing two boxes for us to mail the receivers back in, and if we don't mail them back they're going to charge us $470.

• Ha
                        Havluvr Jan 08, 2011

I was told the customer NEVER owns the receiver and I asked because their offer says they give you the receivers not that they lease them or loan them. They put this ridulous price on them far exceeding what the value would be. You can't believe what they say as I had them tell me all sorts of conflicting things. I hate that company.

Tem Concepts / Direc TV — dishonest unprofessional

Tem concepts is an awful company to work for. They sell directv at best buy and sam's club among other place...

Direct TV — someone elso opened an account with my last name and address

I received a letter with my name on it from direct tv about a tv service for someone else. Someone else i...

Direc TV / Satellite Tvunauthorize checking account withdrawal

I canceled my Direct TV account in September of 2009 after I lost my house, and I informed Direct TV I wouldn't be continuing with their service because the owner of the apartment building I moved to won't allow any dishes. Ten months later I recieved an e-mail stating my account was pass due and to make a payment to avoid interruption. I was surprised to find out because of a positive balanced (money they owed me!) they only suspended my account and then re-activate it WITHOUT my knowledge and have now made an unauthorized withdrawal from my checking account, Minnesota Atty. Gen. here I come and maybe a local TV news station can find more of this kind of abuse...

Direct TV — the real crime is the deposit that should be refunded is actually non-refundable

I signed up for Direct TV and agreed to a 2 year contract. Direct TV told me I needed to give them a credit...

Direct TVviolation of privacy laws

On June 1st, 2010 at approximately 4pm I called Directv to speak with a representative to inquire about the scheduled installation for the same day. I was informed by the rep that the order was canceled due to past due balance on previous account at residence in the name of David Goodwin. The rep asked if I knew David Goodwin and I said "Yes. Why?" The rep stated that He owed $354.00, and that until this is paid I (Richard Goodwin) would not be able to open New account per Directv policy. I told the rep that my brother has moved and currently still has Directv. The rep then asked me for his current phone number. I told the rep that I am not at liberty to share that information and that it should be on his account.

The rep then had the nerve to request that I pay the debt and take it up with my brother later. I immediately informed the rep that she just violated Privacy laws and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and that I was not privy to any information of any other person even if its my mother. The rep re-informed me that this is Directv's policy and there is nothing more she could do. These laws have been broken:

Fair Debt Collection Practices Act

Section 805

(b) COMMUNICATION WITH THIRD PARTIES. Except as provided in section 804, without the prior consent of the consumer given directly to the debt collector, or the express permission of a court of competent jurisdiction, or as reasonably necessary to effectuate a post judgment judicial remedy, a debt collector may not communicate, in connection with the collection of any debt, with any person other than a consumer, his attorney, a consumer reporting agency if otherwise permitted by law, the creditor, the attorney of the creditor, or the attorney of the debt collector.

Section 807

(10) The use of any false representation or deceptive means to collect or attempt to collect any debt or to obtain information concerning a consumer.

I later spoke with a Directv supervisor of the same department and informed her of what took place. The supervisor explained that there is nothing she could do and that it was the policy of Directv to share private information and that no laws were broken. And that I can take it up with legal counsel. And we will!

Direct TVcompletely mislead me

In November of 2009 I was told that I could cancel at any time. Well my satellite just went out and they told me that I would have to pay $50 to move my dish. I told them that I didn't want Direct TV anymore because they didn't put my dish in the spot from the beginning and I didn't feel I needed to pay for that.

Then I was told that I signed a 2 year commitment. I am about to tell everyone not to use Direct TV because of the customer service and that I was mislead about the 2 year commitment.

From the very beginning, I was given all of these promises and now I am finding out that all of these statements and promises are complete lies. Everyone that I know will find out how horrible Direct TV employees are. I am madder than a hornet!!!

• ScamBusters96 Jun 02, 2010

You can cancel at any time you will just incur the fee for doing so, and when they were there to install why didn't you tell them to put it elsewhere? That paper you signed when they were done? It was the contract that in addition to the terms of service (stating the 2-year agreement) also likely included a statement that says you were happy with the installation. Did you read it before signing? Maybe it includes the things you were "promised" but aren't getting...and if you can prove that maybe you will get lucky and get out of it.