Having problems with DirecTV?

DirecTV reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Jul 20, 2006. The latest review Deceptive charges. lies was posted on Apr 16, 2021. The latest complaint installation at my home on nov. 26, 2019 was resolved on Dec 27, 2019. DirecTV has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 2002 reviews. DirecTV has resolved 536 complaints.

DirecTV Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 531 5000 (Customer Service)
2230 E Imperial Hwy
Thu8:00 AM - 12:00 AM
Fri8:00 AM - 12:00 AM
Sat8:00 AM - 12:00 AM
Sun8:00 AM - 12:00 AM

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with DirecTV Customer Service. Initial DirecTV complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for DirecTV above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about DirecTV. Discuss the issues you have had with DirecTV and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

DirecTV Complaints & Reviews

DirecTV directv billing

We had moved into a new house w / an hoa. When I called direct tv about moving our service, not one person told me that I could suspend service! We needed info from direct tv to give to our hoa for them to approve the install. Direct tv didn't know what, how, or who I could get all this info from for our hoa. We spent june, july, & august 2016 w/o a tv during summer w / 4 kids! When the direct tv guy came out, he said there is no way he could install it do to our location! They cancelled our contract, but when I called & spoke to a manager. He said to me, "why didn't you suspend your service?" I asked him what that was. He said that is when we aren't using it, when you move you won't get billed for it until its installed. I asked him why not any of the 6-7 people I had talked to told me that. He said, don't worry I will take it off your bill. Now, direct tv has me in collections for a $300 & something bill for those 3 months of us not even watching it or using it! I have called several times since and they won't do anything about it. One lady even admitted to me that those charges are specifically for those months! If we had been watching tv thru direct tv and used it, I would pay for it. I just don't understand why we should pay for something we didn't use!! It's wrong! How am I supposed to get this problem fixed? Who do I talk to? Why didn't anyone explain to me what suspend service was? What kind of company does this? Can someone please help me!!

DirecTV equipment

got Directv in June 2016. in Jan. 2017 I called about faulty equipment. After verifying that it was an equipment failure, I was told about a charge for a serviceman to come out to replace faulty 6 month old equipment. Since I did not buy a service agreement, the repair/replace was at my expense. I told the rep that the equipment was only 6 months old and I would just swap out the box in the living room for the one in the guest bedroom and then just cancel my subscription when my contract is up. I never heard a word from anyone after that phone call. Be aware that Directv has no warranty on their own equipment. I will be switching to Mediacom or Dish as soon as this contract allows me to. Acct#[protected]

DirecTV satellite television service

Directv charged me $48 for not returning a defective piece of equipment which I did return. I called and provided the tracking. They promised a refund which never came. I called or spoke online with Directv five times and five times was promised the refund. I have a transcript of an online chat promising a refund by a specific date. There has been no refund. They are dishonest incompetent or probably both. I have been a customer for 15 years. If they treat long term customers this way, please be very wary of this company.

Direct TVdirect tv

We have been ATT customers for many years. Our current account number is [protected]. The service was always reliable until Direct TV was purchased and added to their line. Presently, we have the preferred service package.
        My complaint deals with the content of the Direct TV package. Not only are we paying for dozens of channels (sports and commercials) that we never watch, we also are bombarded with sales channels with such names as "Do you poop enough"!

Att is getting paid to air these adverts and then charges us again to watch them! Enough ATT. Our bill should be $162, bundled with wifi. Last month it was $189. It always includes bogus charges and fees. And when I call to try and reduce the cost, the next bill is always higher and the "credit" never shows up. I want ATT to stop counting these advert channels as part of the package line up and reduce the cost to the viewers. No more double dipping. At least Att could monitor the content of the these obnoxious commercials. We are now looking to switch to another less expensive carrier.

DirecTV customer service

The supervisor Leonard hang up the phone on me, I was a direct tv for seven years then I left them, I went back 2015 to present, I have received the worst service from any company, the employees do not care. I gave a posted dated check for my bill, never told that my services will be interrupted, was never given the choice of extended payment by employee, I called for help and said that he can not help, I ask him for his name in a nice way he then hang up the phone. It's not the first time that I received bad customer service I complained and nothing was done, I will cancel my service with them, I will not wait for my contact to be up.

Direct TV — paying a bill

On january 18 my friend patricia sanchez paid my direct tv bill off 100, she text me with the confirmation...

Direct T Vbilling - payment with confirmation number given

On February 10, 2017, my Direct TV service was interrupted. When I arrived at my office, I called Direct T V and was told in order for my service to be restored, I had to pay $221. 97. So I talked a representative and gave her the routing number from my bank and the account number. After completing the transaction, the representative gave me the a confirmation number [protected]. I made the call from my office number which is [protected], Ext 107. When I got home the night of February 10, at approximately, my service still hadn't been restored. I attempted to call Direct TV customer service and their office was closed until the next morning at 8:00 a m. So, I called direct T V office at 8:08 on the morning of February 11, and they were telling me that they hadn't received a payment from me. I can't check my bank to find out if the money was actual taken until Monday, February 13, 2017 at 9:00 a m.

Direct TV — money order

My name is Joel landreth and my acct # is12940861, I sent a 65$ money order to you on 12/16/2016 and I went...

Direct TV — installation of costco directv sign up

I signed up at Costco for Direct TV - it couldn't have been a bigger mess and I've spent countless hour...

Direct TVbilling dispute

service was canceled and I moved 12-03-2016 equiptment was returned account now closed. recived bill dated 01-30-2017 saying amount owed for billing period 01-25-2017 to 01-29-2017 $11.98 .must be error I no longer have direct tv upon calling to correct problem operator said was for pay for view ...which I never used ...I do not owe for this service please correct error in billing

• Updated by robert pugh · Feb 07, 2017

billed for service not used on closed account billing period 01-25-2017 to 01-29-2017 closed 12-04-2016...says pay per view & directtv cinema witch I never used... I do not owe this please adjust billing

• Wa
                  wanda allen Feb 07, 2017

just recieved call stating my bill was unpaid i paid bill on feb 3 for 118.89 confirmation number gaven to me [protected] attached copy of banking statement where money was taken out
                  02/03/2017

History Period

-- Today Last 7 Days Last 15 Days Last 30 Days

13.2.12

DirecTV customer service

Directv stopped working. We followed the troubleshooting guidelines and then called tech support. There was no solution and they said a tech could come in a month or so meanwhile I would have to pay the full bill. I then talked to a supervisor who said a month was "crazy" and someone would contact me the next day. Of course there was no call and someone canceled the appointment to get things fixed. Calls the next day were to no avail although they were sure to commiserate and thank me for my long loyalty.

• Updated by oudegeest · Feb 05, 2017

there is no update except that Directv lied.

Direct TVsatellite tv

DirectTV called and offered Showtime for free, my son accepted the deal. When next bill came I saw that I was billed not only for the supposed free period, but for a few weeks after. I called them and said I didn't want Showtime, and reverse the charges (which we all know are in advance). The customer rep kept trying to sell me additional stuff, upgrade equipment, etc. I finally said yes to upgrade, then she says but you need to sign a 2 year contract again. I said absolutely not. Just remove the Showtime charges. So a couple months go by and one day I have no service. I call them up, and they say pay that $31 for Showtime or no TV. I say forget you I quit. The rep says and I quote "So you say you are threatening to quit ?" And I said no I do quit. They have called everyday since, some days more than once, I have had SuddenLink for a couple weeks. I called them back once, rep told me I can't quit with a positive balance, I said ridiculous, and explained the situation, this guy at least had some understanding. He said wait till February and they will ask for their equipment back.
                  Received a bill with a $6 minimum service fee (WTF that is?) and still trying to charge rent on equipment that I am not and cannot use.
                  Also after the initial sign up period, charge for service doubled.
                  I do not intend to pay them, luckily I was smart enough not to have autopay and any payment card I used has been replaced for other reasons so they can't take my money. NEVER AGAIN, I caution everyone to stay away. I had Dish for many years, I would recommend them.

DirecTV retention department scam when trying to cancel

2-2-2017 acct. # [protected]

I just spent over an hour on the phone with the retention department to cancel my directv service. I've been a customer for 5 years.
                    He offered me a $30/month discount and then threw in another $20 dollars for an "unheard of" $50/month discount according to him. He acted like I was an idiot for not seeing the "value" in the offer. So he stated that my final cost would be $38.99/month for 12 months for their "Family" package which is 54 channels. He repeated over and again when I questioned him that my total monthly charge would be $38.99. I detected that he was leaving something out. I kept clarifying what that meant and finally discovered that the $38.99/month was the programming cost. I would still have to pay the receiver/equipment fees. So here's the breakdown: my current package is select( 145 channels) and I pay $51.99, my equipment fees are $44 and my taxes are $7.21 for a total of $103.20/month. What I finally got him to admit was that with my $50/month discount and a downgrade to a 54 channel package, I would be paying $38.99 for programming + $44 for equipment fees + taxes. So that translates to a whopping $13/month discount for downgrading to a 54 channel package. What happened to the amazing $50/month discount?The other kicker is the 12 month agreement only included the programming and I would be signing a new 24 month agreement on the equipment. What a farce. He was obviously mad that I found him out and after I firmly stated that I wanted to cancel, he said ok and the phone went dead. My account better be cancelled. I've already removed my credit card from my account so they can't charge me. What a miserable experience. I will never have directv again and I will be posting this complaint everywhere I can.

DirecTV billing department and customer representative fall short.

Word to the wise: Your a very important person when you are a 10 year customer on auto-pay @ $235/mo, but don't think you can escape their grasp if you want to disconnect !

I was very happy with the service since 2007, telling all my friends and family how wonderful DirecTV was and that they should consider switching providers. Even my neighbor switched from Time Warner after my suggestion. Come to find out later they were giving $100 credits for this same action throughout this period without notifying me of this nice little perk! When I contacted them about the sales I initiated, they said the policy was that the new customer had to give the installation representative my account number before the installation was scheduled. Too bad for me I was selling their service for free. Now for the real negative rant !

I recently had some billing issues with DirecTV. Since the AT&T purchase they decided to stop accepting the payment option through Verizon One-Bill. I found out a few months later that my bill was not being paid by Verizon, which whom I had been still paying, and was suddenly in default with late charges and fees escalating. A few phone calls later (6-7) I had the ability to speak with a 2nd tier Supervisor, Rachael (whose last name was not provided) who would not accept the idea that I wanted to part ways with DirecTV over this billing debacle. I was not going to continue a relationship with a company whose first instinct is to presume a customer is in default by their own volition. I finally coerced this supervisor to disconnect my services, as I already had a next day appointment with their competitor. Needless to say the disconnect order was not placed that evening, or the next day or even the next 2 weeks. I had all the equipment disconnected and replaced with the competitor when I get a bill from DirecTV for 3 months + service owed. I call customer service to explain their confusion, I'm told there was no disconnect order on the account and I would be responsible to pay for the next full month of service plus fees and late charges. That was the last straw, this has been going on for a month now back and forth with supervisors and billing department. They refuse to credit the overcharges or the late fees, they disconnect you during difficult phone calls, their complete disregard of professionalism and rationality. What a repulsive business model to extort customers for fraudulent billing charges. Then to top off everything the customer service representative explains to me that if I don't pay this inflated bill in full within 30 days they will just take it from my credit card on account. Unbelievable, I spend $27000.00 with this company over almost 10 years and this is the treatment I get ? Be warned, do business with a snake and you will eventually get bit, and this one is poisonous! I will post this everywhere I can, lets hope enough people see it to affect their earnings.

DirecTV unethical behavior

I moved back on july 10, 2016. Technician could not get signal at my new place. Thus voiding my contract with dtv. I chatted with the help center incident: [protected] then called in to let them know I had to cancel my service. After the 5th time dtv finally cancelled my service in december but I was billed for august - november at 166.55 a pop. So I had no service connected but I was billed every month. Finally the csr in december said I had to return my equipment and I would be refunded. I returned it. Now I am being charged for something else and my account is in collections. The technician was at my new apartment on july 15th. His name was aaron. He tried very hard to get me a signal.

Thank you for being a directv customer and taking advantage of the directv® movers deal™. Your installation is scheduled for july 15. We want you to be ready, so below are some things to keep in mind to make your install go smoothly.

I believe that once I was not able to get service my contract and service should be stopped. I emailed the help center and also called to request this.

The account is under christie mullin dtv customer for years!!!
                        Phone number on the account is under carl mullin at&t customer for years!!!

Please help because I believe I am due a substantial refund for the months I was billed when I did not have dtv at my new apartment.

DirecTV billing

Moved in with a relative who already has direct tv. Sent all equipment back. They still want early disconnect fee or to have relative upgrade. Even though I am still using direct tv. I dont get it. So then I called they say I dont owe. However direct tv sent it to collections. So I called today and after 35 minutes I talked to a supervisor and after about 5 minutes he hung up on me.

Jack Iles Jan 30, 2017

I received a call from DIRECTV today saying I was behind on my bill. I just paid it in full on 1/23/17 of $373.97. I called today and they said she couldn't find a record of this payment. I have had a lot of trouble with your billing department for the last couple of months now. I am enclosing picture of our bank statements showing just how much we have paid you since last October. As you can see we have paid over $2000.00 since then. Some is for our cell phones, some for internet and DIRECTV. My account number is [protected]. The account is under the name of Debbie Iles. Our address is 1098 Damon dr, Washington court house, Ohio, 43160. Please get this problem corrected. You can call me at [protected]. Thanks jack iles

Comments

DirectTVcon artists and customer service is horrible

I feel like this company are con artists. Their customer service is horrible!!! I called originally to set up an account. I wasn't sure which package I wanted for sure but they said I could call back and change it if I wanted to. Anyway, after a couple days I wanted the package they told me was $5 extra and when I called back they said $17 dollars extra. After asking to speak to the manager after explaining that wasn't the initial impression I got. The phone hung up and no one called me back. I spoke with this guy like 45 minutes and he even asked for a call back number.
                            I then called right back, no one had any notes and I had to speak to this lady even longer, even though I kept telling her I just went threw this and I need to speak with a manager. I also asked her name and requested the callback, should we be disconnected. Eventually after a 20 minute hold or so, a manager finally got on the phone. Initially, she said its $17 extra as well, but after a long long debate she said she found the promotion and would make the change. I feel like I had been on the phone at least a hour and a half, probably longer.
                            Few days went by but no changes. I call back again, no notes again. Talked to someone for 45 mins again. After asking to speak to a manager, I mysteriously got hung up on again. I called right back and asked to speak to a manager. I wouldn't even talk to this guy, I was seriously upset, I also asked if we got disconnected to call me back. You have to ask I suppose??? Apparently, they were all too busy but "ok, sir i'll have one call you. Assuming your phone line doesn't go down. " I feel like at this point, they know no one is calling. Guess what. No one called! I hate direct tv and their customer service!!!
                            Go to netflix because this company sucks!!! Or literally any other company in the world.
                            P. S. There is no grace period to cancel after installation so if you try to get out even if after a week its "just $20 a month" as they pit it. $20*24=$480 to get out of crappy service that goes out in the rain!!!

DirecTV I am complaining about charges that were taken out of my checking account! for services that I did not receive!

I am requesting a refund. In March of 2016 I called DirecTV customer service
                              to cancel my services! The reason for my cancellation was that! I had just lost my wife/partner, she passed away in February 21st 2016 and that, I could no longer afford the services and that I was moving! The customer service representative talked me into just, suspending my account for six mouth.
                              I requested a courtesy call or email a week before my account would be reactivating!! Only because I did not know were I would be living in six mouths. The customer service representative assured me that I would get both a phone call and E-Mail of date, of last day of suspension!! And day of reactivating my account. I did not receive a phone call, nor did I receive an E-mail from DirecTV. Had I received a courtesy call or E-mail! DirecTV would have known that I was no longer residing at the address on my account!!DirecTV reactivated my service at the address on my account in which I have not resided or lived in since March 30th 2016. In November of 2016 I received a phone call from DirecTV stating that I had a passed over due bill on my account. I told customer service that I canceled my account in March of 2016. Customer service rep, said that my account was under suspension for six mounts! I asked to speak to manager of customer service and when I did, I told customer service manager that! I was told that, I would get a courtesy phone call plus E-mail days before my account was going off suspension and date of reactivation. There for I feel that I am not responsible for the amount of the bill that is past due! For services that I did not received during the activating account, because I was no longer residing at the address on the account! There for I want a refund in the amount of $181.92 because I never received a courtesy phone call nor did I received an E-mail liked I requested!! And I was told by the customer service representative reassured I would get a courtesy phone call and E-mail days before my account is reactivated!! DirecTV withdrew $181.92 from my checking account on January 10th 2016!! So for lack of communicating with loyal customer like myself! I have never been late on any of my billing! I am strongly requesting a refund in the amount of $181.92... Sincerely; Diana Gonzales
                              P.S.
                              Please investigate in this matter!!!

• Updated by D.Gonzales · Jan 23, 2017

This is Diana Gonzales;
                                  there is a typo in my complaint!! DirecTV withdrew $181.92 on January 10th of 2017!! From my checking account and I am requesting a refund in the amount of $181.92 for services I did not received because I was no longer residing at the address on my account in which DirecTV reactivated.

DirecTV when calling in for problem, the machine does not understand nothing

Everytime that I have to call I can never get to the right person, if any, to talk too. This so called answering machine just does not have to understand a real person it keeps asking for me to repeat, or yets try something else. At which time i have to keep asking for a real person, many, many, many times before I get transferred to a real person, and most of the time the wrong one. When you have a problem, that should be enough to be send to a person that can help...

• Ju
                                    June Jan 22, 2017

I urge all people with complaints about Direct TV and their deceptive sales practices to sell their service to people to file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. There is a page there for filing complaints against internet and TV providers.

DirecTV equipment insurance and billing

We have had DirecTV since 2011-we have three issues that have not been properly addressed nor resolved.
                                  We had our service cancelled this month after speaking with a “loyalty specialist” At that point I said “cancel the receivers.”
                                  She chose to cancel everything.
                                  I have since gotten an email saying I owe $48.46
                                  At this point not only do I owe you NOTHING- you owe me money for December 2016 through the beginning of January when our services were cancelled as I could not use the TV due to receiver malfunction.
                                  The first issue is that after paying insurance every month along with my bill, when I called for receiver replacement I was told I could not receive the replacement without a new 2-year agreement. I was told this by several people including supervisors. There is nothing in my insurance agreement that says if the receiver is not working and I need a replacement or repair I must sign a new 2-year agreement.
                                  I have been unable to watch any TV in my house as the receiver is not working. I called in December 2016 and had a DirecTV technician here around December 10 2016. He said the main DVR receiver was not working. I have paid insurance to ensure that any technical issues were covered.
                                  I have had weeks of frustration with your company trying to resolve this issue and have not been able to fully watch the satellite television I am paying for due to receiver malfunction.
                                  We also had two receivers that should have been replaced in 2013 when we upgraded to HD but they were never replaced with the proper equipment- That is issue number 2.
                                  We upgraded our plan to include HD TV for all our TVs (four) in 2013- we have only had HD channels on two of the TVs in three years. When the technician came he also told me told although we pay for HD for all our TVs but we never had the proper receivers for two of the TVs. Therefore, we could not receive the HD services we have been paying for as the correct equipment was never supplied at the time we upgraded. We have already fulfilled the two-year agreement for that upgrade but did not receive the correct equipment in 2013.
                                  Again- we have not had the upgrade we have been paying for since 2013 as DirecTV never supplied the correct equipment so we could have that upgrade on all our TVs- as I was told we would have. I fulfilled my two-year agreement from 2013 through 2015. I should not have to sign a new agreement in 2017 to receive what I should have gotten in 2013.
                                  One of the supervisors I spoke with -Cameron ID #2806067 - told me "it is the customers responsibility to request new equipment when a customer does an upgrade"
                                  I was so shocked and angry I repeated what he said and asked him if he thought that was as ridiculous a statement as I thought it was- since I am not a technician how on earth would I know whether I needed new equipment with an upgrade???? He said it was "standard operating procedure" and that I could not get the two standard receivers replaced with proper equipment. He also told me I could not have the malfunctioning receiver replaced without a new two-year agreement -despite having paid insurance for over five years.
                                  As a footnote, I did speak to a customer loyalty rep named Lamanda in early January 2017. She was extremely helpful and listened and understood my issues. I spoke to her on my cell while on my way to switch to Xfinity Due to her helpfulness we aborted the switch and stayed with DirecTV. She assured me there was no new contract and no additional monthly fees. I should have known better. Shortly after, I received an email to confirm the delivery of the receivers and confirm a 12-month contract. When I called to find out what was going on I got another “loyalty representative” who was curt, rude and cancelled our services. I was angry but now I would love to thank her! I am so happy to be done with DirecTV and AT & T!
                                  A third issue is that we have had an ongoing billing issue with DirecTV. I have a copy of a chat with a customer rep in September that told me I was paid in full until my next billing cycle of October 27th 2016. Yet I am being charged late fees every month. When I spoke to a customer rep in November re: billing. I told him I have paperless billing and pay each month the bill DIRECTV emails me. He told me I ‘can’t just look at the paperless bill you have to decipher the billing from previous statements online” Seriously????? At that time, I requested a billing specialist to look into the issue but have never received any information from DirecTV that this is being addressed.
                                  After paying $10.00 insurance every month since 2011 and fulfilling another two-year agreement in 2013 when I upgraded my service, I have never received the services in full I have been paying for. I also have not been able to use my main TV for over one month due to receiver malfunction. I pay my bill every month but get late fees and I am ignored when I complain.
                                  This feels like robbery and fraudulent business practices! How can you force me to stay with you when you do not fulfill your insurance or other contracts?
                                  I hope I hear back with a resolution to these issues.
                                  Please be assured I am so incensed by these type of fraudulent tactics I will pursue this to the fullest extent allowed me by law.
                                  Darrell Rathbun