Direct Energy Services Logo

Direct Energy Services

Having problems with Direct Energy Services?

+1 855 461 1926 (Customer Service)
+1 866 348 4193 (Sign Up for Energy, Small Business)
+1 888 925 9115 (Sign Up for Energy, Large Business)
+1 888 548 7540 (Energy Customers, For Your Home)
+1 732 750 6464 (Small & Large Business, Natural Gas Triggers)
+1 713 877 3500 (Head Office)
+1 855 334 3577 (Home Services)
+1 800 830 5923 (Business Energy)
+1 800 437 7265 (Direct Energy Business)
12 Greenway Plaza, Suite 600

1 Hess Plaza, Woodbridge, NJ 07095

Support for Energy Customers
Direct Energy, PMB № 51, 7385 North State Route 3, Westerville, OH 43082

Complaints & Reviews

overdue monies owing to me

Good afternoon

Well I am very much concerned about the way both the companies mentioned above have been treating me over the last few months. Let me explain, in July 2008 Direct energy installed a central Air unit at my home & the amount of $99.76 was to be applied to my enbridge monthly bill. On November 25th 2008 I paid Direct energy in the amount of $4528.02 representing the full amount of the Central Air unit, about 2 weeks later I called to verify that this cheque had been received & no one new where the check was but to my surprise the cheque had been cashed. Apparently the cheque had been sent to the wrong department & the department of billing had not been notified. I can understand when errors occur but I can't understand that when all this was found out & I again spoke with another agent at Direct Energy ( Josee [protected] ext 261) she stated that the matter had been rectified & that she assured me that the balance of the payment would be sent to Enbridge as credits towards my home heating bill. I said fine that sounds fair to me this was back on Dec 16, 2008 & this was all suppose to be done within 7 days of that conversation. Well Well this issue was never rectified & enbridge still haven't received the balance from Direct Energy the weird thing is enbridge shows on there database that Direct energy have asked them not to send my account to the CREDIT BUREAU because they would be sending them the outstanding amount. This still hasn't been & as of November 2008 Directenergy have still been charging me for the installment payments that have been paid for since Nov.2008. Everytime I speak with either party they tell me it is not there responsibilty & to call the other company. So as of today Direct energy owe me $462.23 + 99.76 Nov. + 99.76 Dec + all the accrued interest due to their negligence of rectifying this issue in a timely fashion. There is a total of $661.75 outstanding to this day this is without interest incurred so far & many many hours on the telephone with what I would call un qualified personel to take care of this matter. Today I contacted the MINISTRY OF GOVERNMENT SERVICES CONSUMER PROTECTION PLAN at [protected] & they advised me that this matter should have been resolved a long time ago, I have been very tolerant with this situation & am willing to give these companies a final chance to prove to me that customer service is there # 1 goal & that after they are overpaid that we are not just another file on the shelf. I am expecting a reply to this matter ASAP by Email or telephone today at the latest or I will pursue this matter through the MINISTRY OF GOVERNMENT SERVICES CONSUMER PROTECTION PLAN.

Hoping for a prompt reply

Robin Gauthier

[protected] Home

a day robbed by direct energy

My water heater broke on Sunday and I called Direct Energy for a replacement. They told me the earlier...

rip off - scams

Direct Energy
A very pushy salesman from Direct Energy showed up at my door some months ago. He would not go away until I showed him my hydro bill. I actually thought he was from the hydro company soo i showed him my bill. Upon inspection of my hydro bill, he explained that i was paying way too much and not receiving certain benefits that i was entitled to. He actually had me believing that i was entitled to some form of rebate. He talked me into signing a contract "for my protection".
I later discovered that the contract i had signed was to allow this company to supply my electricity. Upon this discovery I promptly called the 800 number on the bottom of the paper. I requested that Direct Energy cancel the contract immediately. The rep was very polite on the phone and assured me that the contract would be cancelled and Direct Energy would not be my supplier. I cancelled the contract before it was even instated.
Every time I receive my hydro bill, I have the same unresolved conversation with a polite representative from Direct Energy. I am continuously told that the cancellation request has been submitted and the computer should have the issue resolved before my next billing cycle.
Surprise, eight months later and Direct Energy is still on my bill as my supplier.
Why would anyone in their right mind agree to paying more for the exact same service that they already have??????
I was taken by a fast talking, lying salesman who represented Direct Energy. Upon realizing what had happened I tried to reverse my error, dealing directly with the offending company. Every representative from Direct Energy must be given a course in lying. Dont trust them, they are far worse than any used car salesman you have ever met.
I have been advised by the Ontario Energy Board to put Direct Energy on notice, in writing. I was not even previously aware that there was such a board.
If you need help resolving your issues with Direct Energy try giving the OEB a call, perhaps they can help you also.
Down with Direct Energy !!!

• La
    Laurie Dec 12, 2008

I'm sorry - but there is no such thing as a salespersons refusing to leave .

You tell them to leave or you will call the police - slam the door in their face. If they don't leave make that call!

Its your property - no one can force you to show a bill or anything else.

scam and cheating

So these Natural Gas providing geniuses are up to no good. This is what happened a few years back:

They send a salesman over to my old address in 2005 to secure and lock my gas prices for the next five years for 'my' protection. He's wearing a direct energy uniform. And he had a badge. The salesman talked a good game and wouldn't leave until I showed him my bill. I did tell him that I was interested in what he's talking about.. who wouldn't be? Cheaper utility bills are a no brainer. So he took my name down and told me that I would get the savings anyways. So he could still 'pass on the savings without seeing my bill'. lol Seemed a little odd to me at the time.

So I moved to Brantford in 2008 and I continued my service with Direct Energy. 3 months later I got a bill for 1500$ for canceling my contract. How the hell is this possible I thought? Well according to Energy Direct the difference in the current market price of natural gas vs. the great deal that I was given in 2005 equals out to be 1500$. The reason:

For my protection they locked in my rate when natural gas prices were historically really high. That's when they had their salesman blitz all over Ontario. Great for the company. Horrible for the customers. And they sent these low lives to lie to their beloved customers in their homes. As a favor to the customer? I don't think so.. This has a lawsuit written all over it. Those arrogant lying ###s.

So I got on the phone with some more idiots and got the 1-800 number run around. A few hours later the 1500$ which had gone straight to collections (by the way) was lifted since I was still a current customer. Well wasn't that difficult for something so obvious. I was stressed out and still furious after that call.

They told me that I was charged that fee because my new phone number wasn't accessible to them. Well I am in the 411 directory. An internet rookie could easily find me. My old phone number had my new phone number recorded for 3 months by the telephone company. They didn't look too hard in my opinion. It was easier to charge me the 1500$ then to look for 1 minute on the 411 directory.

So that leaves me with 3 more years of a contract that I can't get out of with sky high gas prices. I would like to give a sarcastic thanks to Direct Energy for lying to me, sending my old bill to Collections with a 1500$ premium added, not looking for my old phone number and last but not least for locking me into an expensive gas contract for my 'own good' by a rent-a salesman. Oh yes but the 1500$ fee was waved..

I am very competitive and I hate getting screwed. This company is a scam. They will lie to your face (or over the phone). They should get sued for picking on the little guy. Thanks for reading.

• Jb
    jbm Jan 26, 2009

I was cheated also by direct energy. A direct energy agent came and invited me to join and I signed the contract. the front page clearly writes Pls. reaffirm after Nov. 2. Before Nov. 2 someone called me to reaffirm and I said Yes, thinking that I still have until Nov. 2 to cancel it. Its like any other contract or services you signed on, they gave you grace period. And when i called Nov. 3 they told me I cant anymore bec. its past 10 days, though the front page of the contract clearly says Pls reaffirm after Nov. 2. First they charged so much and they lied and cheated on me. The front page is different from what is inside the contract. Direct energy is a scam and liar

John Apr 09, 2009

Thanks for the posts. A direct energy sales man was just in my restaurant asking for my bill. In fact those were his first words, "hi, I'm Josh. I can save you money on your energy. All I need is your bill and I'll be on my way."
    I looked at him like he was crazy.
    I got his name, number, and the company he worked for and sent him on his way. Good thing I have done my research, it saved me a lot of hassle.

• Ed
    Edgar Jul 07, 2009

Last summer I had a Direct Energy canvaser come knocking on my door. He told me that if I switched to direct Energy, I would get a lower rate for gas and save money in the winter than if I stuck to Maintoba Hydro. This turned out to not be the case. I am paying a few points higher than my local energy and gas company and I am on a 5 year contract that is supposedly expensive to get out of. I called Direct Energy and they said that I shouldnt've been told that I would be paying a lower rate. Now I'm stuck in 5 year contract paying over $300 for gas a month. Who the hell can afford that on a modest income?

• Pa
    PatersonsBeef Sep 21, 2010

I'm doing a Buyer Beware article on Direct Energy and how they provide false information to their customers, and would love an interview or even just an email back regarding the subject. I'm trying to get the customers' story out there, so if you're interested please comment back and we'll exchange information.

• Sm
    S.Mck. Feb 05, 2011

My own story is similar to the ones above.

I’m very surprised that this company is still in business given their fraudulent practices and the way they treat their customers; I’m even more surprised that the fines they face from regulators are so small. They continue their practices because they can.

In the past 6 months I have steered many friends and family away from the evil that is Direct Energy. I will continue to do so until they are out of business.

incompetent customer service/technicians

My husband and I have been embroiled in a battle with Direct Energy for over a week, and I was wondering if anyone on your staff would be interested in doing some investigative journalism.

It started with our hot water tank being replaced on October 15th, which was done very quickly, but six days later the unit started to make horrible noises in our basement. We called Direct Energy right away and a technician was dispatched to fix the problem. We were told that the installers did a poor job and that the piping to our hot water tank had already cracked and that the interior insulation was soaked through because of their mistake. Since last Tuesday (October 21st) we have been without hot water and because our furnace is attached to our hot water tank, we also have been without heat. My husband took Thursday off work because he was told that the new system would be installed during the day, but the technicians did not show up until almost 9pm. When they arrived they did not have the right hot water tank.

Needless to say we have been on the phone with the very polite customer service representatives many times, but feel that since they have a monopoly that they do not care that we have not had neither heat, nor hot water since the 21st.

We were told today that new installers would be at our home by 8am, but it was not until almost 2pm when my husband phoned, that we were told that our new hot water tank was not even at their warehouse.

I think the lack of accountable and honest customer service by large companies such as Direct Energy would be a great story to cover. Not only do they hold their customers hostage since we don't have a choice as to service providers, but their lack of communication between their departments has forced us into a very cold limbo.

• Je
    JenA Oct 25, 2008

John W Nov 20, 2008

We had a hot water heater installed in August by Direct Energy and also a new furnace on October 15. The city inspector was out on November 7th, and found infractions on the venting for both. After numerous calls to Direct Energy, to find out when these issues will be resolved, we still have heard nothing from them. I guess it is easy for them to take our money, but not so easy for them to follow up on a complaint. Not even so much a complaint, as a failed code inspection. When I called the city to make sure the failure was recorded on their system they confirmed that it was. I called Direct Energy, and all I get is the call Center. They are very polite, and try to help by sending e-mails to the district office to encourage a callback, however, have still heard nothing. There is no way to get in touch with the local office, and so I feel frustrated that their follow-up is so poor.

• Ju
    Judith Bissell Jun 02, 2009

I guess I was lucky that my replacement of a Polaris water heater that handles heating my condo as well as the hot watr only took 3 days without heat & hot water to replace in the middle of winter. The new supposedly much better energy efficient model whines with a terrible noise and uses as much gas as the previous 14 year old model did! BUT the worst is that my rental bill with NO WRITTEN NOTICE contrary to the rental contract wording, went from $31, 00 a month to $53.00 the next month and then 2 months later (March) to the current double amount of $62.00 ($760.00 a year). Calls to supervisors did no good and a letter to the president, passed on to the executive offices complaint person also has achieved nothing. She said it was up to the Direct Energy installers to inform me that when you get a new rental water heater replacement, they should tell you of the increase! What a terrible company and there is no other company that handles these dual Polaris water heater rentals.

rip off

Let me sum this experience up real quick, besides the constant annoyances with Direct Energy, Enbridge decided to cut my gas off 2 months ago for not being able to pay my bill completely. My 3 and 6 year old and myself haven't had heat for 2 months, I've been carrying pots of boiling water up the stairs to the bath all day every day, wasting my life away. ANYWAY, just got my new Enbridge bill yesterday, keeping in mind that I've had NO SERVICE FOR 2 MONTHS. It looks like this:
New Gas charges : $33.45
Goods and Services Tax (GST): $19.98
New Direct Energy Essential Home Services Charges: $366.08

So that's what I get for hauling water up the stairs for 2 months straight. Now my bill is $943.15, I still have no service and It's almost November. Thanks alot you [censored] thieves.

harrassing phone call

We recently switched to a green provider after several years as a customer of Direct Energy. In that time we...

billing

I am at my wits end. I have not received a bill from Direct Energy in 4 months, I have called, I have...

service

I placed a service call to service my furnace with Direct Energy about 45 days ago, last week the service technician came and serviced my air conditioner instead! Even though it was serviced in May 2008. This shows that people at Direct Energy do not listen, they hear instead and don't hear properly.

Their service is pathetic, not only that, my dishwasher was serviced after many many calls and reminders sent to them and even then, they did not put back the other parts of the dishwasher, so now my dishwasher is sitting there to be closed properly by the technician who does not come. Never get into a contract with Direct Energy

• Sm
    smk3 Jan 18, 2010

Direct Energy is a complete scam in business. I cannot understand how they are still operating in Canada. They take some estimated payments for gas, get interest on it and then adjust your bill. They charge customers up to 500% higher prices than Enbridge per cubic meter.
    Their sales representative came to my home and introduced him as confirming my new home gas account with Enbridge. He even put “Enbridge” name on the contract. Only later I realized it was a different contract. What kind of criminal activity is that? When I call Direct Energy to cancel my contract they refused to estimate my cancellation fees.
    My advice to all people and should be distributed as wide as possible, NEVER DEAL WITH DIRECT ENERGY. THEY ARE THIEVES.

energy contract

Claimed that I agreed to a five year contract for gas and hydro charges. I agreed to look at the contract...

gas renewal contract

With the blessing of the Ontario Energy Board, Direct Energy is offering a 58% hike in my natural gas rate. I f I decline the offer without notice, Direct Energy says they will automatically renew my contract at a increase of 78%!
Some mouthpiece from OEB called to say "they" do not regulate prices and I could decline the contract and return to Enbridge gas, also at a hike in the 50% range, some deal!
The average Joe is getting taken for a huge ride with these outrageous increases. Where are the advocates for comsumer protection? Enbridge, Direct Energy, the OEB, they are all bed buddies.
You may as well add Hydro One to the mix as they are bandits cut from the same cloth.

• Io
    iouri Feb 22, 2009

Just like many people in this forum I had agreed to a 1 year contract with DE that was automatically renewed at price 44.9c per cub.m. I see a long legal battle ahead, but what can I do when I have to buy gas at this price during the winter season. I’ve found the best solution!The price of heating at 44.9 c per cub.m. is more expensive than the price of heating your house by electricity. Turn on your electrical heaters and watch how low your gas bill will become(but electricity bill will be higher). The most enjoyable thing in this solution is watching DE profit goes down.

• Ro
    Robert Meyer Jun 15, 2010

I can't assist in all cases where consumers are encountering problems with Direct Energy, but if you entered into a natural gas supply contract with Direct Energy / Enbridge Home Services in Ontario around 2002, and your contract was renewed without your consent, I've set up a free website (directenergyrefunds.blogspot.com) showing you how you can potentially claim a very large refund from Direct Energy, as I've done.

things we should know as customers before signing with direct energy for natural gas

I am a first time homebuyer. My experience with Direct Energy has tought me a valuable lesson these past weeks. I want to share what I have learned with others, especially new home buyers in the Ottawa region.

This comment contains:
- links to reliable sources
- the actual laws that protect us customers
- Direct Energy's (DE) Early Exit Fees information
- my own personnal experience and the lessons I learned.

You can never be too informed when it comes to natural gas prices and the decisions you need to make. Here is a useful link about natural gas and the services available in the Ottawa region:

Brochure from Ontario Energy Board with basic information we should have as a customer : http://www.oeb.gov.on.ca/OEB/_Documents/Consumer+Brochures/brochure_natgas_200802.pdf

DIRECT ENERGY CAME TO MY DOOR

A sales representative from Direct Energy came to my door to sign us up for our natural gas account. I remembered seeing the Direct Energy sticker on our hot water tank. I also remembered seeing the Embridge sticker on our furnace. This indicated to me that the company was trust worthy and that I needed their service to continue using my hot water tank.

The sales representative explained the protection plans for natural gas and said that I needed to contact Enbridge to make sure that my account was set up. What then is the relation between Enbridge and DE? His answer wasn't clear, but I understood that they somwhow worked together. He then took out a bill sample that had the Enbridge logo on it. I assumed that both companies worked together.

He also told me, after I asked, that they were the only company from which we could buy natural gas. There, I had it : they were my only option, their sticker was on our hot water tank. I assumed it was the right choice. It was not.

DE, NOT MY ONLY OPTION?

I called Enbridge the next day to make sure that my account had been set up. I mentionned the Direct Energy salesperson and wanted to confirm with Enbridge the relationship between them and Direct Energy. That's when I learned that I could have bought my gas from Enbridge. I felt very angry that I was lied to.

A couple of days later, a sales rep. from another energy company (I forget the name) came to my door. They were offering the same service as Direct Energy. I did not hesitate to tell him that I had signed with Direct Energy and was lied to. This guy then took out the Direct Energy booklet I had received, with the Terms and conditions, and showed me the passage about Early Exit Fees.

EARLY EXIT FEES

The Terms and Conditions state that if you terminate a contract with DE before your time is up, you will be charged 200$ a month (plus other expenses) for the duration of that period. It also states that if you move outside Ontario or to an area where Direct Energy cannot service you, that you will be charged Early Exit Fees.

I called Direct Energy this week and the calling agent told me something completely different from what I read in the Terms and Conditions. She said that if you move outside the province, you need to provide DE with proof that you are moving at least 30 days before your moving date. They will cancel your contract without charging you any fees. If you are moving into an area where natural gas is not available (no gas lines), you need to notify them at least 30 days prior to your moving date and your contract will be cancelled without fees.

The salesperson that came to my door did not go into these details, he only mentionned that if I moved in Ontario, my account would be switched to my new address, and that if I moved outside the province, my contract would be terminated. He didn't mention any early exit fees. And I did not think to ask about them either.

I still do not know if I would be charged Early Exit Fees if I decided to move to another province or to a place where there is no service. It's the call center's representative's words againt the Terms and Conditions. I think the Terms and Conditions hold up better in court... so beware.

FALSE INFORMATION : A DE PLAN THAT DOES NOT EXIST

I wanted more information. I felt lied to. I had signed a contract too fast, thinking it was my only option. I then conducted a research, comparing what Direct Energy had to offer me and what Enbridge could offer.

I was deceived once again. The sales rep. from DE had told me that they would call me back within the month to confirm which plan we wanted fo our natural gas : a fixed plan with a fixed rate or a variable plan with variable rates. When I called Direct Energy to inquire about their varable plan, I was told that no such plan existed. They had stopped offering variable plans in 2005. This took me by surprised, seeing as they had a page on variable plans on their website: http://www.directenergy.com/EN/Ontario/RES/Pages/GAS/VariableRateFAQs.aspx

First I was actually told by a call rep. at DE that the variable plan was only available through an online offer, and that it was new. I decided to call back to talk to another representative who was very helpful. She even talked to her supervisor to make sure she was giving me the right information. The variable plans only exist for electricity, not for natural gas.

To top that off, she could see the rate I was given on my contract, 43.5 cents per cubic meter. She dais that I should have been offered a rate of 36.9 cents per cubic meter, because I am a new customer.

She offered to cancel the existing contract because I had been given false information and because my rate was too high. She said that she could sign me up for the new rate, in a new contract. I said I would think about it and call them back if I was interested.

CANCELLING A CONTRACT : OUR RIGHTS AS CUSTOMERS

#1. A contract (some exceptions, see below) is not active unless you reaffirm it. A representative from the company will call you back to reaffirm. If you do not reaffirm, your contract will not be activated.

Here is the law (Ontario Energy Board Act 1998, Section 88.9):

Once you sign a contract for the purchase of natural gas or electricity, as a general rule it will not remain in effect unless you confirm that you wish to accept the contract. This process is called "contract reaffirmation", and it applies in all but a few circumstances (see "When Reaffirmation Is Not Required", below).
The rules that apply to contract reaffirmation are as follows:
1. Starting on the 10th day after you have received a written copy of the contract, the marketer or retailer is permitted to contact you to ask you to reaffirm your acceptance of the contract.
2. At that point you may choose to reaffirm your acceptance of the contract, or you may choose not to do so. If you notify the marketer or retailer that you do not wish to reaffirm the contract, you cannot be required to pay any cancellation fees or penalties.
3. If you do not reaffirm the contract by the 61st day after you received a written copy, the contract will no longer be in effect as of that date. Again, you will then have no obligations under the contract as of that date, and you cannot be required to pay any cancellation fees or penalties.
4. If you reaffirm the contract and then decide at a later date to cancel it, you may have to pay a cancellation fee. The cancellation fee or the method by which it will be calculated must be stated in your contract.
Typically, the marketer or retailer will phone you to ask you to reaffirm your acceptance of the contract. If you reaffirm by phone, the marketer or retailer must record the phone call, and the recording must be given to you if you request it. You also have the option of reaffirming or refusing to reaffirm by giving written notice to the marketer or retailer.
Always ask for a reference number when you cancel a contract on the phone.

Summary of law : http://www.oeb.gov.on.ca/OEB/For+Consumers/Your+Energy+Options/Contracts+-+Consumer+Protection+Rules
Actual law : http://www.search.e-laws.gov.on.ca/en/isysquery/db272a39-ed3a-4f60-89ec-b96d800fbcb3/3/frame/?search=browseStatutes&context=

#2. Send a registered letter or a fax to the company, stating that you want to cancel all existing contracts with them. This tip was given to me by a customer rep. at the Ontario Energy Board and by a customer rep. at Enbridge.

Here is the law (Consumer Protection Act 2002), taken from the DE Terms and conditions:

If this Agreement was entered in person at a place other than our place of business, a trade show or an exhibition, the following excerpt from the Consumer Protection Act 2002 applies: "You may cancel this agreement at any time during the period that ends 10 days after the day you received a written copy of the agreement. You do not need to give the supplier a reason for cancelling during this 10-day period."

HOW I CANCELLED MY CONTRACT (10 DAY COOLING OFF PERIOD)

I cancelled over the phone with DE, wrote down the reference number. I also filed a complaint against the sales rep. that came to my door for giving me the wrong rate and the wrong information.

I also wrote a letter, in order to make sure that my cacelation would be treated. I added the reference number to the letter as well. Isent it by fax to 2 different numbrs given to me by 2 different rep. at DE. One of the numbers was incorrect, as I received a call the next day from an individual who had received my fax at his private residence. Luckily, I could rely on the other number to be correct. I also took no chance and sent an email to cancel.[protected]@DirectEnergy.com. I got an automatic response saying that it had been received.

UNDERSTANDING YOUR ENBRIDGE BILL

THE BOTTOM LINE

We as customers need to be more informed. Please keep in mind:

Enbridge is the utility. The bring the gas to your house. You will be billed by Enbridge (or your local utility) no matter who you decide to buy gas from.

Direct Energy is a marketer. They sell you gas. Enbridge will bill you on behalf of Direct Energy for the natural gas.

Know your rights as customers. If you have signed a contract and want to get out of it, send a letter of cancellation request within your 10-day coolling off period. Do not reaffirm your contract when the marketer (DE) calls you, if you do not want to contiue with them.

I hope my experience and my little investigation helps at least one person out there. We have to be vigilant and aware of these things. We have to be responsible consumers. I think I'm one step closer to it now.

• Va
    Vahram Jul 31, 2008

I had the same situation but with Sumit Energy.

What happened is here. Sales Rep came to my house the next day of my moving in(I bought a new house). I signed it thinking it is enbridge and was wrong. this was at 27.07.2008. I actually even had not paid attention that teh sales rep put the wrong date on the form. 21.07.2008. The absurd is that my closing at that address was at 25th so there was no way for me to be at this address before 25.07.2008 and even if I was i was not LEGALLY responsible for signing for the gas for the house that is not mine yet.

Next day I faxed them cancellation. I also sent them e-mail got a automatic reply. I also sent them registered mail . The day was 28.07.2008 and even if we assume that the contract was signed at 21 I was in 10 day period.

I was shocked and in panic and after doing these I saw that in my fax and registered mail I made one mistake. When I explained them the situation I put 07.07.2008 instead of 27.07.2008. But from the whole text it is clearly understood that I meant at least date after 25.07.2008. What I wrote there is

"your sales rep put the wrong date on contract. she put 21.07.2008. This should be 07.07.2008 (here is my mistake) My closing at the address was at 25.07.2008 and so there is no way I could be at the address before 25.07.2008 and even if by some magic I was there I was not legally responsible to sign something as a owner/renter. This means contract is void"

so as I said I sent them e-mail with this, fax and registered mail at 28.07.2008. After this i spent 2 worrying days trying to contact them and ask for a reference number for my cancellation and I could not get it. Finally I decided to write a simple with no explanation of situation Notice of Cancellation where I just state that I want to cancel my agreement based on Customer Protection Act 2002. I also ask them to send me confirmation information with fax or mail within 3 business days. I again faxed them this notice and sent them registered mail.

I did this at 30.07.2008 which is 10th day if we assume that contract is signed at 21.07.2008. So I think I am clear even if we assume that this was signing date.

I printed the CanadaPost online signatures of who signed when they got the both notices. I also keep the Confirmation Reports from our facsimile machine which means the other party got it.

I also filed a complain with Canadian Council of Better Business Bureau and they proceed with my case (filed it). They also e-mailed me that everything is in good standings and let's give company 15 days to cancel the agreement and if it does not happen they ask me to contact them again. So now I am waiting.

I also wrote my local MPP about this but have not heard from him yet.

It is really hard to get any information from them by phone and so I am trying to do everything paper based.

Please write me your notes, comments and suggesstions at vahjans at yahoo dot com

&protection& plans

From my experience, I would not recommend that anybody signs up with the Direct Energy "Plumbing Protection"...

price gouging

Hello, Firstly, I would like to compliment the associate at Direct Energy for keeping her cool. Although I...

error in billings

I received my monthly bill at the end of April with charges that were not mine. i called Enbridge right away and was advised that it was not their charges, but charges from Direct Energy. I then called direct energy and they told me that the charges were from Enbridge. I called Enbridge a second time and again they tell me that the charges are from Direct Engery. They then put a note in their system that direct energy would be able to read and know that the charges were theirs. I again call Direct Energy and was told that they could not find my account in their system to look up what i was telling them. After quite some time on hold, the lady proceeds to re enter my information in her system. She then advises me that service explanation request has been put in and that someone would call me back within 2 days to let me know what the extra charges to my account are for. After a few hours, a lady calls me back apologizing about the extra charges and explains that a service call done to a house three houses beside me was billed to my address instead of their address. On top of the service repair call charge of $201.00, they decided to add on the heating protection plan of $20.99 of which i already have on my bill in my "total home protection plan". To make a longer story short, the charges have still not been reversed three months later, I've been speaking to supervisors every month when i get my bills and to this day, nothing has been resolved. I did get a new piece of information today from Dana, a supervisor who I've managed to speak with on more than one occasion and she's advised me that after investigating my situation, she's found that I've been entered in their system THREE TIMES!! She advised that each time i was told that the credits were being made, they were being made to the accounts that i apparently was not getting billed for. she assured me that everything would be fixed on my next bill (I've received three bills with the same errors) and if not, to give her a call and she's make sure to fix it.

Angry @ Direct Energy Jul 02, 2008

I agree i am totally mad at this retailer. My bills, for once i forgot to pay on time. Now its such a GRAND hassle to pay my bills. I help my uncle, who cant speak english very well to pay, first off they need voice verification that i can speak upon his behalf. My uncle could barely mutter gibberish in english and she went on for 5 minutes saying sorry i dont understand. Then i took the phone and said he cant speak english but i can speak upon his behalf. And out of the blue she says very rusely, sorry i was talking to HIM. Then i wait a bit more until she finaly understands our problem and we try to pay with our credit card. MY uncles credit card did not go through something was wrong. So i asked if i can use my credit to pay for him now. The Customer service representative whos name was Shannon says that we are not allowed to do that. Then she asked whos name the credit card is under. I said it was under my name, then she said she felt threatened and uncomfortable that theres more people there. There was only 2 of us and that did not make any sense to us. We called several more times with different service representatives but they all failed. We gave up payin g and waited another week and we got a late fee.
    In the end i found out that i could have paid it through the bank. At least they believe stranger bank tellers over the real owners.
    Dam them all.

• Je
    jessica Mar 06, 2009

I hate Direct Energy. I just called the automated system and it says I owe 626.30 for current charges. I've never had a bill much higher than 200.00, even when i ran the air conditioning nonstop. It's funny to me because I live in a two bedroom downstairs apartment and have been here foe four months and not had a problem like this period. If they don't fix my bill I'm going to sue the pants off of them.

false account

This ongoing battle since Dec/07 has to do with a "account" we have with Direct Energy. Not ever in my...

unauthorized contract renewal

Our gas contract should have ended in June 2007, but we found out it’s not that easy to end. Although we did return their "form" clearly marked "Declined" before their deadline, for some reason "they did not receive it". I had no idea they were so dishonest that I should have sent it by registered mail.

I should have known this would happen. We had been hounded for several months by calls to renew our contract, both before and after I had mailed their “declined” form back. They don’t take NO for an answer. We asked several times that they not call again, that we are not changing our decision, but they kept calling and we had to ignore the phone. When we realized the calling had stopped, we thought they had accepted our decision and were done with them.

We did not notice in July 2007, that a new rate of .439 cents (double the original rate) had come in effect. Our bills are low in the summer and, furthermore, Direct Energy had told us our contract was ending in November of 2007. And those statements are not clear. When we finally realized in March 2008 that they were still acting as our supplier and charging us double for it, we first contacted Enbridge and had their name removed. It's still too soon to be sure, but I hope we are done with them.

We are now trying to collect the overpaid difference which is a minimum of $400 in excessive gas charges to date. They gave us a claim number but nothing else was happening. Two days ago, we filed a complaint online with the Ontario Energy Board. Then Direct Energy called this morning to say they had not received the Form we had “declined” and would not refund us. I am not surprised about this.

I hope the OEB can do something about this malpractice. It's not just about the money; it's the deceptive, callous, dishonest way they operate. When a contract expires and you’ve already told them a dozen times you don’t want to renew it, it should end. Expired means it no longer exist! Period. We will never sign up with a marketer again.

• Ta
    Tamar Jun 10, 2008

We had a heating protection plan which was automatically renewed in January. I too had called them a few months before telling them to CANCEL it and not to renew it, but ofcourse this conversation conventiently was never documented on their end. I just had a new furnace and A/C installed last month and I won't be using Direct Energy since I will be using the new company I purchased these equipments from for any service repairs etc. So now I have to pay for a plan through January 2009 and yet, they won't cancel my HIP! So, I am paying for something which I will never use. Is this even legal? It's like having car insurance and selling the car and the insurance company telling you you signed a contract for one year and even if you don't drive that car any longer, they are still going to charge you for insurance through the end of the contract. That is ridiculous!!!

• Ro
    Robert Meyer Jun 15, 2010

fraud and cheating!

It was one of those 'bad luck' situations when the weather was -20 and my furnace was out for lunch...

deposit

I signed up for energy from Direct Energy when we first moved into our new house and because it was our first home we were told they needed a $200 deposit, that would be refunded after one year. It's now 14 months later and they won't refund our deposit because we haven't paid our bills on time for 12 consecutive months. Why haven't we paid our bills on time for 12 months straight? Because for two of those months they sent our bill to the wrong postal code! When the bills finally made their way to us, about 3 weeks late, we paid them right away. This has happened with a few of our bills and I think it's because all the larger companies just ask for your address and their computers automatically give them the postal code. Because we are in such a new neighborhood there have been some mistakes with postal codes, and quite a few of our bills end up at the wrong postal code.

The girl I spoke with on the phone was completely rude just saying 'Well, it's not our fault if the postal code was wrong, you must have called in and changed it, then changed it back'. Ridiculous.

billing nightmare

At the time we purchased the house in June 2006, it had a rental water heater and a rental furnace both rented from Direct Energy. Recently I had a home energy audit which resulted in us purchasing a new high efficiency furnace, new thankless water heater and A/C from a company called Enwise Power Solutions.

Prior to the purchase and installation of the new equipment I called Direct Energy to ask about the return of the rental equipment. I was told that I could return both the furnace and the water heater at any time and the charges would be removed from my bill. I called Direct Energy again, closer to the date of the installation to ask about where to return the water tank and the furnace and they gave me an address in Etobicoke, Ontario. On the day of the installation I called again to confirm where to return the equipment and was given the same address. They told me to hang on to the receipts and fax them to Enbridge to get the charges removed from my bill.

The installers returned the equipment and got a receipt for the heater but not the furnace because they were told by the Direct Energy people there that they (Direct Energy) stopped renting furnaces a while ago so they don’t have a process for returning them however, they did take the furnace anyway (but we didn’t get a receipt).

So today I called Direct Energy to follow up and find out how to get the two rental charges off my bill and to my surprise they are telling me that I have to pay the full cost of the rental furnace because the old owners had a contract that I inherited through the purchase of the home which says that I have to rent it for 15 years!!!!!!

They are telling me that the contract for the rental would have been included in the documents for the purchase of the home and that my lawyer would have told me all about it and would have ensured that I was aware of the contract. I am 100% sure that I did not have any such conversation with my laywer about an obligation to pay for this furnace for 15 years (I don’t even know when this 15 years would have started) and I know that he would have told me if he was aware. I don’t have a copy of the contract and I have NO INTENTION of paying for a furnace that I no longer have in my home when I was told from the beginning that I could return it.

I am extremely frustrated and worried that it's going to take an enormous effort to rectify this situation. The buy out price is over $2000 and I don't even have the furnace anymore. I told the Direct Energy Rep (who says he's a manager but sounded like a goofy teenager) that I never signed a contract and have never seen a contract and he just kept saying there is nothing he can do and that I will have to pay. They lied to me several times, don't EVER deal with these scammers!!!!!

• Al
    Alan of Toronto Jul 28, 2009

Direct Energy does not know the meaning of customer service or what the word care means. My naive wife just started renting a water heater from them. The first installation had a leak. The second service technicians came and fixed the first problem but gave me two more problems near the water heater. They gave me two leaks - one on the elbow of the 1/2" copper pipe and the other at the shut off valve. The third one says we have to pay for their mistakes. What a concept eh? Don't waste your time with these incompetent people. Your plumber can probably do a better job the first time. In fact, I just replaced the shut off valve myself without a drip. I can't wait until they kick the bucket.

Do not wish to be a Direct Energy client whatsoever!!!

• Ri
    Rimvydzis Nov 18, 2010

Hello,

I having with Direct Energy and Enbridge already 4 months problems. At the beginning I saw that on my bill came $200 extra to pay for water tank rental ( which has to be only $14.49) So I called them, they said it's mistake sorry about that, we will fix. Second month same think plus double charge for rental instead of : $14.49 now $28.98. Called again, again said sorry its mistake. Third month they removed $200, and put another $203.58. Called again, same thing, you have in a system mistake, we will fix. Fourth month came back $203.58 plus double charge of water tank: $28.98. I called them, they said we understand we will fix in 1 or 2 bills. So how long that game has to be played???? What to do with these people? Trying to get lawyer for small claim courts. Any other thoughts?
    Aurora, ON

• El
    Ellen Meyer Jun 23, 2015

We had a rental furnace installed in March 1997, through Consumers Gas, now Direct Energy. I desperately need to know if I'm entitled to some sort of rebate, as I've been paying a monthly charge long past the 15 year term. My calls to Direct Energy have been fruitless; they claim that they're entitled to keep billing me forever, and now I find myself possibly needing a new furnace. If you could advise me, I'd be most grateful.
    Richmond Hill, ON

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices