Direct Energy Services Logo

Direct Energy Services

Having problems with Direct Energy Services?

Direct Energy Services reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Dec 11, 2006. The latest review Billing Issue with overcharging was posted on Jun 7, 2021. The latest complaint door to door salesman was resolved on Nov 13, 2014. Direct Energy Services has an average consumer rating of 3 stars from 128 reviews. Direct Energy Services has resolved 61 complaints.

Direct Energy Services Customer Service Contacts

+1 855 461 1926 (Customer Service)
+1 866 348 4193 (Sign Up for Energy, Small Business)
+1 888 925 9115 (Sign Up for Energy, Large Business)
+1 888 548 7540 (Energy Customers, For Your Home)
+1 732 750 6464 (Small & Large Business, Natural Gas Triggers)
+1 713 877 3500 (Head Office)
+1 855 334 3577 (Home Services)
+1 800 830 5923 (Business Energy)
+1 800 437 7265 (Direct Energy Business)
12 Greenway Plaza, Suite 600

Direct Energy Business
1 Hess Plaza, Woodbridge, NJ 07095

Support for Energy Customers
Direct Energy, PMB № 51, 7385 North State Route 3, Westerville, OH 43082

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Direct Energy Services Customer Service. Initial Direct Energy Services complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Direct Energy Services above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Direct Energy Services. Discuss the issues you have had with Direct Energy Services and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Direct Energy Services Complaints & Reviews, Page 6

Direct Energysubstandard work goes unresolved

We live in a house that was built circa 1920 and have been systematically renovating. The first part was a total tear down and rebuild of a kitchen addition completed in early 2004. A year later we began to address other structural and infrastructure issues prior to tackling cosmetic upgrades. We invited Direct Energy to submit a bid for replacing our roof, gutters, and soffits. When the salesman, John Bailey, came to inspect the scope of the project and give us a bid, we told him we were also putting siding on the new addition and replacing siding on the original house. He told us they could provide a quote on that work also. We signed contracts for all of this work to be done. There were specific guidelines requested, such as how the window trim would be done.

The crew that did the roofing seemed professional, but when I was concerned that I didn't see any ice shield. The workers pretended they could not speak English (I had heard the foreman talking to John in English). Anyway, I was assured by John that the job had been done to spec. The shingles seemed to wave along the edge and he said the floor of the roof had some warping. Don't know why that was not addressed initially before the shingles were applied. And the old shingles did not wave along the edge. In addition the shingles began lifting later and he sent someone to address that problem.

Another subcontractor did the siding. The windows were not framed as requested. I complained, and all that was done was John took photos. He did get the contractor to remove soffit material he attempted to complete the job with rather than open another box of the siding material. The siding guys removed the old siding material and did not protect it overnight when they left. A rain/wind storm drove water into the house and was dripping from the light fixtures of the new addition. A late night call did summon them out to tarp the area they had not protected.

We also had contracted with Direct Energy at the same time to have insulation put into the walls and attic. We now thought we have a home that is secure from the elements. WRONG. We have lived in this house over twenty years and now for the first time we have ice dams every winter. This only started happening after the "improvements." We have called every year, and nothing gets resolved. Last year an "expert" was sent to evaluate the problem. He stood on the sidewalk and concluded we needed to purchase additional service of heaters in our gutters to the tune of approximately another $1000. He came to that conclusion by contrasting our house with another nearby similar house that also had ice dams. That house we already know is in desperate need of a new roof and gutters.

This past week the ice dams were worse than ever with huge ice cycles draping down like stalactites. No other house in the neighbourhood had these except for the same house that had been noted before that still needs a new roof and gutters. We also for two years straight have now had water dripping into the house from a window frame when the ice dams form.

We have spent a lot of money with Direct Energy, including a new Trane central air conditioner (the ONLY thing that has not had a problem). I cannot proceed with interior work until these issues are resolved.

• My
      my 2 cents Jan 28, 2010

I have been in home improvement industry for a long time and not saying that they did or did not do a good job but Ice damming is a very difficult thing to fix. It is some thing that you have to do one thing at a time until the problem goes away. The problem with old houses is there isn't enough if any sofit intake which makes the attic warm in the winter and cause a lot of problems. Also a house built in the 20s was not energy efficient and when we start tightening up the house this also creates problems. I don't know this guy or you but usually to fix the ice damming problems in a old house takes a lot of work and money and people don't want to spend the money do do the whole job. Old houses don't have vapour barriers in the walls or attic and more times than not don't have enough wall or attic insulation, and need a lot of air sealing work as well. The use of spray foam in the attic and walls is a great way to solve a lot of problems but is very expensive. Well thats my 2 cent!!!

Have a good day

Direct Energyfailure to cancel protection plan

I had my post winter maintenance last may, crack in the heat exchanger.OK, so i bought new furnace from them, heating maintenance was to be removed then and there, oops!! I guess they forgot, called 3 times throughout the year to re- cancel maintenance, but the last time they finally told me i missed the cut off time to cancel.Ya know sometimes i wonder if my old furnace was really screwed or they just needed to make a sale, who knows.Our government really needs to keep an eye on these guys, I have a few more complaints but I am too mad to sit here any longer...just thought i would throw this in, I`m sure there is many many more out there alot worse.YIP theys is crooks, yes they is :)

• Mu
        Muhammad R. Dec 16, 2012

$13.99 plus taxes15% ($2.10) = $16.09
        I have Heating Protection Plans with annual maintenance for only $13.99/month.
        I am not sure why Direct Energy is charging me $21.99 per month from the last two months.
        I cancelled my Plan and restored it on the same day but I have been charged adjustment charges $164.89 regardless I restored it on the same day.
        I talked to Direct Energy billing department to waive off these adjustment charges as I had retored it on the same day and I have confirmation number for both cancellation and restoration but the rep on a phone was reluctanct to waive off these charges.
        I requested for a call back to discuss it with the customer service depatment and now I am waiting for a call back in thiis regard. I am not sure why got penalized if I have restored the same plan on the same day.
        Is there someone who can help me what is the existing rule about restoration of the plan on a same day of cancellation and to waive off the adjustment charges? Thanks

• Mu
        Muhammad R. Dec 16, 2012

$13.99 plus taxes15% ($2.10) = $16.09
        I have Heating Protection Plans with annual maintenance for only $13.99/month.
        I am not sure why Direct Energy is charging me $21.99 per month.
        I requested for a call back to discuss it with the customer service depatment and now I am waiting for a call back in thiis regard. I am not sure why penalized if I have restored the same plan on the same day. Is there any one who can tell me what is the existing rule? Thanks

• Al
        Alves A Jan 03, 2012

I also have a complaint regarding the "Heating Protection Plan".

Back in November of 2011 (just about month an a half ago) my old furnace stopped working.

I found out that the issue was most likely the thermocouple, so I called Direct Energy to have it replaced.

I was told that I had 2 options. One option was to enrol in the "Heating Protection Plan" before placing the service call in which case I would be charged a nominal fee regardless of what needed to be fixed (as long as it was below $500.00).

The second option was to just place the service call (without enrolling in the program) in which case I would have to pay for the full cost of the repair.

Because the furnace was over 20 years old, I agreed to enrol in the plan.

However, when the technician showed up and repaired the furnace, he told me that the plan was only good for low cost repairs. He said that if the furnace broke down again and it needed a major part replaced, the technician would most likely recommend that the furnace be replaced due to being over 20 years old and would not repair it.

This meant that being enrolled in the "Heating Protection Plan" in my case didn't benefit me that much.

Because of this and the rebates the Canadian Government is offering at the moment, I decided to have the furnace replaced.

The new furnace is covered by a 10 year parts and labour warranty, so now I don't really need the "Heating Protection Plan".

I called today to cancel the coverage, but to my surprise was told that the plan is a one year contract and if I cancel before the year is over, I will have to pay for the remaining of the year (in my case 11 months).

I explained that I was not told about any contracts (at least I don't recall being told) and because the technician actually charged me as if I was not enrolled in the contract (he told me that I had to call to get the charge corrected) I would like it cancelled without any penalties.

I was told that I should have received a package in the mail explaining the details of the plan (I don't think I got it because I don't remember seeing it) and that I had 10 days to cancel the contract if I didn't want it.

Anyway, I understand that a contract is a contract, but because I was not told about it when I enrolled and because I don't really need the coverage now that I have a new furnace (with 10 years parts and labour warranty) I was hoping that Direct Energy would agree to cancel it without charging a penalty.

But they refused. They said that all they could do was to refund the difference between what I was charged by the technician and the flat fee that I should've been charged under the plan.

However, the difference is only about $13.00. The service plan is costing me $21.99 per month, so the refund is minimal in comparison to the cost of the plan.

I don't think that posting here is going to make any difference, but I just want to make my experience known, so others will be aware of what they are getting into when joining a plan offered by Direct Energy.

Tony

• Th
        thatwhineyguy Aug 25, 2009

Exact same thing happened to me.

Got the plan and they harrassed me for months to get the annual service check done - they cam in to clean the furnace and shut it down in February!
        Then bought a new furnace and tried to cancel the plan - they didn't cancel it and when I called again they said that I had to wait 6 months cuz "I" missed the window to cancel.
        Also they never made it clear I couldn't cancel at anytime - assuming of course I hadn't had the maintenance done!

I'm done dealing with them - even want to get my Hot Water Heater replaced - that's a huge cash cow for them - I know - I used to deal with them for advertising!

Direct Energy — devil service

I live in the suburbs of Dallas, TX and Direct energy (after many attempts to resolved my billing issue...

Direct Energyoverdue monies owing to me

Good afternoon

Well I am very much concerned about the way both the companies mentioned above have been treating me over the last few months. Let me explain, in July 2008 Direct energy installed a central Air unit at my home & the amount of $99.76 was to be applied to my enbridge monthly bill. On November 25th 2008 I paid Direct energy in the amount of $4528.02 representing the full amount of the Central Air unit, about 2 weeks later I called to verify that this cheque had been received & no one new where the check was but to my surprise the cheque had been cashed. Apparently the cheque had been sent to the wrong department & the department of billing had not been notified. I can understand when errors occur but I can't understand that when all this was found out & I again spoke with another agent at Direct Energy ( Josee [protected] ext 261) she stated that the matter had been rectified & that she assured me that the balance of the payment would be sent to Enbridge as credits towards my home heating bill. I said fine that sounds fair to me this was back on Dec 16, 2008 & this was all suppose to be done within 7 days of that conversation. Well Well this issue was never rectified & enbridge still haven't received the balance from Direct Energy the weird thing is enbridge shows on there database that Direct energy have asked them not to send my account to the CREDIT BUREAU because they would be sending them the outstanding amount. This still hasn't been & as of November 2008 Directenergy have still been charging me for the installment payments that have been paid for since Nov.2008. Everytime I speak with either party they tell me it is not there responsibilty & to call the other company. So as of today Direct energy owe me $462.23 + 99.76 Nov. + 99.76 Dec + all the accrued interest due to their negligence of rectifying this issue in a timely fashion. There is a total of $661.75 outstanding to this day this is without interest incurred so far & many many hours on the telephone with what I would call un qualified personel to take care of this matter. Today I contacted the MINISTRY OF GOVERNMENT SERVICES CONSUMER PROTECTION PLAN at [protected] & they advised me that this matter should have been resolved a long time ago, I have been very tolerant with this situation & am willing to give these companies a final chance to prove to me that customer service is there # 1 goal & that after they are overpaid that we are not just another file on the shelf. I am expecting a reply to this matter ASAP by Email or telephone today at the latest or I will pursue this matter through the MINISTRY OF GOVERNMENT SERVICES CONSUMER PROTECTION PLAN.

Hoping for a prompt reply

Robin Gauthier

[protected] Home

Direct Energy — a day robbed by direct energy

My water heater broke on Sunday and I called Direct Energy for a replacement. They told me the earlier...

Toronto

Direct Energyrip off - scams

Direct Energy
        A very pushy salesman from Direct Energy showed up at my door some months ago. He would not go away until I showed him my hydro bill. I actually thought he was from the hydro company soo i showed him my bill. Upon inspection of my hydro bill, he explained that i was paying way too much and not receiving certain benefits that i was entitled to. He actually had me believing that i was entitled to some form of rebate. He talked me into signing a contract "for my protection".
        I later discovered that the contract i had signed was to allow this company to supply my electricity. Upon this discovery I promptly called the 800 number on the bottom of the paper. I requested that Direct Energy cancel the contract immediately. The rep was very polite on the phone and assured me that the contract would be cancelled and Direct Energy would not be my supplier. I cancelled the contract before it was even instated.
        Every time I receive my hydro bill, I have the same unresolved conversation with a polite representative from Direct Energy. I am continuously told that the cancellation request has been submitted and the computer should have the issue resolved before my next billing cycle.
        Surprise, eight months later and Direct Energy is still on my bill as my supplier.
        Why would anyone in their right mind agree to paying more for the exact same service that they already have??????
        I was taken by a fast talking, lying salesman who represented Direct Energy. Upon realizing what had happened I tried to reverse my error, dealing directly with the offending company. Every representative from Direct Energy must be given a course in lying. Dont trust them, they are far worse than any used car salesman you have ever met.
        I have been advised by the Ontario Energy Board to put Direct Energy on notice, in writing. I was not even previously aware that there was such a board.
        If you need help resolving your issues with Direct Energy try giving the OEB a call, perhaps they can help you also.
        Down with Direct Energy !!!

• La
            Laurie Dec 12, 2008

I'm sorry - but there is no such thing as a salespersons refusing to leave .

You tell them to leave or you will call the police - slam the door in their face. If they don't leave make that call!

Its your property - no one can force you to show a bill or anything else.

Direct Energyscam and cheating

So these Natural Gas providing geniuses are up to no good. This is what happened a few years back:

They send a salesman over to my old address in 2005 to secure and lock my gas prices for the next five years for 'my' protection. He's wearing a direct energy uniform. And he had a badge. The salesman talked a good game and wouldn't leave until I showed him my bill. I did tell him that I was interested in what he's talking about.. who wouldn't be? Cheaper utility bills are a no brainer. So he took my name down and told me that I would get the savings anyways. So he could still 'pass on the savings without seeing my bill'. lol Seemed a little odd to me at the time.

So I moved to Brantford in 2008 and I continued my service with Direct Energy. 3 months later I got a bill for 1500$ for canceling my contract. How the hell is this possible I thought? Well according to Energy Direct the difference in the current market price of natural gas vs. the great deal that I was given in 2005 equals out to be 1500$. The reason:

For my protection they locked in my rate when natural gas prices were historically really high. That's when they had their salesman blitz all over Ontario. Great for the company. Horrible for the customers. And they sent these low lives to lie to their beloved customers in their homes. As a favor to the customer? I don't think so.. This has a lawsuit written all over it. Those arrogant lying ###s.

So I got on the phone with some more idiots and got the 1-800 number run around. A few hours later the 1500$ which had gone straight to collections (by the way) was lifted since I was still a current customer. Well wasn't that difficult for something so obvious. I was stressed out and still furious after that call.

They told me that I was charged that fee because my new phone number wasn't accessible to them. Well I am in the 411 directory. An internet rookie could easily find me. My old phone number had my new phone number recorded for 3 months by the telephone company. They didn't look too hard in my opinion. It was easier to charge me the 1500$ then to look for 1 minute on the 411 directory.

So that leaves me with 3 more years of a contract that I can't get out of with sky high gas prices. I would like to give a sarcastic thanks to Direct Energy for lying to me, sending my old bill to Collections with a 1500$ premium added, not looking for my old phone number and last but not least for locking me into an expensive gas contract for my 'own good' by a rent-a salesman. Oh yes but the 1500$ fee was waved..

I am very competitive and I hate getting screwed. This company is a scam. They will lie to your face (or over the phone). They should get sued for picking on the little guy. Thanks for reading.

• Sm
              S.Mck. Feb 05, 2011

My own story is similar to the ones above.

I’m very surprised that this company is still in business given their fraudulent practices and the way they treat their customers; I’m even more surprised that the fines they face from regulators are so small. They continue their practices because they can.

In the past 6 months I have steered many friends and family away from the evil that is Direct Energy. I will continue to do so until they are out of business.

• Pa
              PatersonsBeef Sep 21, 2010

I'm doing a Buyer Beware article on Direct Energy and how they provide false information to their customers, and would love an interview or even just an email back regarding the subject. I'm trying to get the customers' story out there, so if you're interested please comment back and we'll exchange information.

• Ed
              Edgar Jul 07, 2009

Last summer I had a Direct Energy canvaser come knocking on my door. He told me that if I switched to direct Energy, I would get a lower rate for gas and save money in the winter than if I stuck to Maintoba Hydro. This turned out to not be the case. I am paying a few points higher than my local energy and gas company and I am on a 5 year contract that is supposedly expensive to get out of. I called Direct Energy and they said that I shouldnt've been told that I would be paying a lower rate. Now I'm stuck in 5 year contract paying over $300 for gas a month. Who the hell can afford that on a modest income?

John Apr 09, 2009

Thanks for the posts. A direct energy sales man was just in my restaurant asking for my bill. In fact those were his first words, "hi, I'm Josh. I can save you money on your energy. All I need is your bill and I'll be on my way."
              I looked at him like he was crazy.
              I got his name, number, and the company he worked for and sent him on his way. Good thing I have done my research, it saved me a lot of hassle.

• Jb
              jbm Jan 26, 2009

I was cheated also by direct energy. A direct energy agent came and invited me to join and I signed the contract. the front page clearly writes Pls. reaffirm after Nov. 2. Before Nov. 2 someone called me to reaffirm and I said Yes, thinking that I still have until Nov. 2 to cancel it. Its like any other contract or services you signed on, they gave you grace period. And when i called Nov. 3 they told me I cant anymore bec. its past 10 days, though the front page of the contract clearly says Pls reaffirm after Nov. 2. First they charged so much and they lied and cheated on me. The front page is different from what is inside the contract. Direct energy is a scam and liar

Direct Energyincompetent customer service/technicians

My husband and I have been embroiled in a battle with Direct Energy for over a week, and I was wondering if anyone on your staff would be interested in doing some investigative journalism.

It started with our hot water tank being replaced on October 15th, which was done very quickly, but six days later the unit started to make horrible noises in our basement. We called Direct Energy right away and a technician was dispatched to fix the problem. We were told that the installers did a poor job and that the piping to our hot water tank had already cracked and that the interior insulation was soaked through because of their mistake. Since last Tuesday (October 21st) we have been without hot water and because our furnace is attached to our hot water tank, we also have been without heat. My husband took Thursday off work because he was told that the new system would be installed during the day, but the technicians did not show up until almost 9pm. When they arrived they did not have the right hot water tank.

Needless to say we have been on the phone with the very polite customer service representatives many times, but feel that since they have a monopoly that they do not care that we have not had neither heat, nor hot water since the 21st.

We were told today that new installers would be at our home by 8am, but it was not until almost 2pm when my husband phoned, that we were told that our new hot water tank was not even at their warehouse.

I think the lack of accountable and honest customer service by large companies such as Direct Energy would be a great story to cover. Not only do they hold their customers hostage since we don't have a choice as to service providers, but their lack of communication between their departments has forced us into a very cold limbo.

• Ju
                Judith Bissell Jun 02, 2009

I guess I was lucky that my replacement of a Polaris water heater that handles heating my condo as well as the hot watr only took 3 days without heat & hot water to replace in the middle of winter. The new supposedly much better energy efficient model whines with a terrible noise and uses as much gas as the previous 14 year old model did! BUT the worst is that my rental bill with NO WRITTEN NOTICE contrary to the rental contract wording, went from $31, 00 a month to $53.00 the next month and then 2 months later (March) to the current double amount of $62.00 ($760.00 a year). Calls to supervisors did no good and a letter to the president, passed on to the executive offices complaint person also has achieved nothing. She said it was up to the Direct Energy installers to inform me that when you get a new rental water heater replacement, they should tell you of the increase! What a terrible company and there is no other company that handles these dual Polaris water heater rentals.

John W Nov 20, 2008

We had a hot water heater installed in August by Direct Energy and also a new furnace on October 15. The city inspector was out on November 7th, and found infractions on the venting for both. After numerous calls to Direct Energy, to find out when these issues will be resolved, we still have heard nothing from them. I guess it is easy for them to take our money, but not so easy for them to follow up on a complaint. Not even so much a complaint, as a failed code inspection. When I called the city to make sure the failure was recorded on their system they confirmed that it was. I called Direct Energy, and all I get is the call Center. They are very polite, and try to help by sending e-mails to the district office to encourage a callback, however, have still heard nothing. There is no way to get in touch with the local office, and so I feel frustrated that their follow-up is so poor.

• Je
                JenA Oct 25, 2008

Direct Energyrip off

Let me sum this experience up real quick, besides the constant annoyances with Direct Energy, Enbridge decided to cut my gas off 2 months ago for not being able to pay my bill completely. My 3 and 6 year old and myself haven't had heat for 2 months, I've been carrying pots of boiling water up the stairs to the bath all day every day, wasting my life away. ANYWAY, just got my new Enbridge bill yesterday, keeping in mind that I've had NO SERVICE FOR 2 MONTHS. It looks like this:
              New Gas charges : $33.45
              Goods and Services Tax (GST): $19.98
              New Direct Energy Essential Home Services Charges: $366.08

So that's what I get for hauling water up the stairs for 2 months straight. Now my bill is $943.15, I still have no service and It's almost November. Thanks alot you f****** thieves.

Direct Energy — harrassing phone call

We recently switched to a green provider after several years as a customer of Direct Energy. In that time we...

Direct Energy — billing

I am at my wits end. I have not received a bill from Direct Energy in 4 months, I have called, I have...

Direct Energyservice

I placed a service call to service my furnace with Direct Energy about 45 days ago, last week the service technician came and serviced my air conditioner instead! Even though it was serviced in May 2008. This shows that people at Direct Energy do not listen, they hear instead and don't hear properly.

Their service is pathetic, not only that, my dishwasher was serviced after many many calls and reminders sent to them and even then, they did not put back the other parts of the dishwasher, so now my dishwasher is sitting there to be closed properly by the technician who does not come. Never get into a contract with Direct Energy

• Sm
                    smk3 Jan 18, 2010

Direct Energy is a complete scam in business. I cannot understand how they are still operating in Canada. They take some estimated payments for gas, get interest on it and then adjust your bill. They charge customers up to 500% higher prices than Enbridge per cubic meter.
                    Their sales representative came to my home and introduced him as confirming my new home gas account with Enbridge. He even put “Enbridge” name on the contract. Only later I realized it was a different contract. What kind of criminal activity is that? When I call Direct Energy to cancel my contract they refused to estimate my cancellation fees.
                    My advice to all people and should be distributed as wide as possible, NEVER DEAL WITH DIRECT ENERGY. THEY ARE THIEVES.

Direct Energy — energy contract

Claimed that I agreed to a five year contract for gas and hydro charges. I agreed to look at the contract...

Direct Energygas renewal contract

With the blessing of the Ontario Energy Board, Direct Energy is offering a 58% hike in my natural gas rate. I f I decline the offer without notice, Direct Energy says they will automatically renew my contract at a increase of 78%!
                  Some mouthpiece from OEB called to say "they" do not regulate prices and I could decline the contract and return to Enbridge gas, also at a hike in the 50% range, some deal!
                  The average Joe is getting taken for a huge ride with these outrageous increases. Where are the advocates for comsumer protection? Enbridge, Direct Energy, the OEB, they are all bed buddies.
                  You may as well add Hydro One to the mix as they are bandits cut from the same cloth.

• Ro
                      Robert Meyer Jun 15, 2010

I can't assist in all cases where consumers are encountering problems with Direct Energy, but if you entered into a natural gas supply contract with Direct Energy / Enbridge Home Services in Ontario around 2002, and your contract was renewed without your consent, I've set up a free website (directenergyrefunds.blogspot.com) showing you how you can potentially claim a very large refund from Direct Energy, as I've done.

• Io
                      iouri Feb 22, 2009

Just like many people in this forum I had agreed to a 1 year contract with DE that was automatically renewed at price 44.9c per cub.m. I see a long legal battle ahead, but what can I do when I have to buy gas at this price during the winter season. I’ve found the best solution!The price of heating at 44.9 c per cub.m. is more expensive than the price of heating your house by electricity. Turn on your electrical heaters and watch how low your gas bill will become(but electricity bill will be higher). The most enjoyable thing in this solution is watching DE profit goes down.

Direct Energy — things we should know as customers before signing with direct energy for natural gas

I am a first time homebuyer. My experience with Direct Energy has tought me a valuable lesson these past...

Direct Energy — &protection& plans

From my experience, I would not recommend that anybody signs up with the Direct Energy "Plumbing Protection"...

Toronto

Direct Energy — price gouging

Hello, Firstly, I would like to compliment the associate at Direct Energy for keeping her cool. Although I...

Pickering

Direct Energyerror in billings

I received my monthly bill at the end of April with charges that were not mine. i called Enbridge right away and was advised that it was not their charges, but charges from Direct Energy. I then called direct energy and they told me that the charges were from Enbridge. I called Enbridge a second time and again they tell me that the charges are from Direct Engery. They then put a note in their system that direct energy would be able to read and know that the charges were theirs. I again call Direct Energy and was told that they could not find my account in their system to look up what i was telling them. After quite some time on hold, the lady proceeds to re enter my information in her system. She then advises me that service explanation request has been put in and that someone would call me back within 2 days to let me know what the extra charges to my account are for. After a few hours, a lady calls me back apologizing about the extra charges and explains that a service call done to a house three houses beside me was billed to my address instead of their address. On top of the service repair call charge of $201.00, they decided to add on the heating protection plan of $20.99 of which i already have on my bill in my "total home protection plan". To make a longer story short, the charges have still not been reversed three months later, I've been speaking to supervisors every month when i get my bills and to this day, nothing has been resolved. I did get a new piece of information today from Dana, a supervisor who I've managed to speak with on more than one occasion and she's advised me that after investigating my situation, she's found that I've been entered in their system THREE TIMES!! She advised that each time i was told that the credits were being made, they were being made to the accounts that i apparently was not getting billed for. she assured me that everything would be fixed on my next bill (I've received three bills with the same errors) and if not, to give her a call and she's make sure to fix it.

• Je
                        jessica Mar 06, 2009

I hate Direct Energy. I just called the automated system and it says I owe 626.30 for current charges. I've never had a bill much higher than 200.00, even when i ran the air conditioning nonstop. It's funny to me because I live in a two bedroom downstairs apartment and have been here foe four months and not had a problem like this period. If they don't fix my bill I'm going to sue the pants off of them.

Angry @ Direct Energy Jul 02, 2008

I agree i am totally mad at this retailer. My bills, for once i forgot to pay on time. Now its such a GRAND hassle to pay my bills. I help my uncle, who cant speak english very well to pay, first off they need voice verification that i can speak upon his behalf. My uncle could barely mutter gibberish in english and she went on for 5 minutes saying sorry i dont understand. Then i took the phone and said he cant speak english but i can speak upon his behalf. And out of the blue she says very rusely, sorry i was talking to HIM. Then i wait a bit more until she finaly understands our problem and we try to pay with our credit card. MY uncles credit card did not go through something was wrong. So i asked if i can use my credit to pay for him now. The Customer service representative whos name was Shannon says that we are not allowed to do that. Then she asked whos name the credit card is under. I said it was under my name, then she said she felt threatened and uncomfortable that theres more people there. There was only 2 of us and that did not make any sense to us. We called several more times with different service representatives but they all failed. We gave up payin g and waited another week and we got a late fee.
                        In the end i found out that i could have paid it through the bank. At least they believe stranger bank tellers over the real owners.
                        Dam them all.

Direct Energy — false account

This ongoing battle since Dec/07 has to do with a "account" we have with Direct Energy. Not ever in my...

Direct Energyunauthorized contract renewal

Our gas contract should have ended in June 2007, but we found out it’s not that easy to end. Although we did return their "form" clearly marked "Declined" before their deadline, for some reason "they did not receive it". I had no idea they were so dishonest that I should have sent it by registered mail.

I should have known this would happen. We had been hounded for several months by calls to renew our contract, both before and after I had mailed their “declined” form back. They don’t take NO for an answer. We asked several times that they not call again, that we are not changing our decision, but they kept calling and we had to ignore the phone. When we realized the calling had stopped, we thought they had accepted our decision and were done with them.

We did not notice in July 2007, that a new rate of .439 cents (double the original rate) had come in effect. Our bills are low in the summer and, furthermore, Direct Energy had told us our contract was ending in November of 2007. And those statements are not clear. When we finally realized in March 2008 that they were still acting as our supplier and charging us double for it, we first contacted Enbridge and had their name removed. It's still too soon to be sure, but I hope we are done with them.

We are now trying to collect the overpaid difference which is a minimum of $400 in excessive gas charges to date. They gave us a claim number but nothing else was happening. Two days ago, we filed a complaint online with the Ontario Energy Board. Then Direct Energy called this morning to say they had not received the Form we had “declined” and would not refund us. I am not surprised about this.

I hope the OEB can do something about this malpractice. It's not just about the money; it's the deceptive, callous, dishonest way they operate. When a contract expires and you’ve already told them a dozen times you don’t want to renew it, it should end. Expired means it no longer exist! Period. We will never sign up with a marketer again.

• Ro
                          Robert Meyer Jun 15, 2010

• Ta
                          Tamar Jun 10, 2008

We had a heating protection plan which was automatically renewed in January. I too had called them a few months before telling them to CANCEL it and not to renew it, but ofcourse this conversation conventiently was never documented on their end. I just had a new furnace and A/C installed last month and I won't be using Direct Energy since I will be using the new company I purchased these equipments from for any service repairs etc. So now I have to pay for a plan through January 2009 and yet, they won't cancel my HIP! So, I am paying for something which I will never use. Is this even legal? It's like having car insurance and selling the car and the insurance company telling you you signed a contract for one year and even if you don't drive that car any longer, they are still going to charge you for insurance through the end of the contract. That is ridiculous!!!