DeVry University Logo

DeVry University

Having problems with DeVry University?

Highland Landmark V, 3005 Highland Parkway

Nashville Campus
3343 Perimeter Hill Dr. Nashville, TN 37211

Complaints & Reviews

Devry University — unethical business practices

Today I withdrew from DeVry University Online classes. I'm sad to have had to do that because I had...

Devry University — awful place

I attended Devry for a single semester. I realized in the second week when the bills started to arrive that...

Devry University — don't believe the hype!

I attended DeVry University from July 2006 to October 2008 and recieved my degree in Business Administration...

Devry University — fraud and scam

I am a DeVry graduate (2003) who possess a bachelor of science degree in telecommunications management. For...

Devry And Chamberlain — same school, same complaints

Devry ownes Chamberlain School of Nursing. I wish I'd known what I know today, which is that they are...

Devry University Onlinerip off

I was researching online education options in the hotel management field when devry's ads popped up. I asked for additional info. And shortly after that starting receiving emails from a tracy blake, student advisor I guess.

I was advised that the only way to truly get a cost estimate for my chosen degree was to follow her recommended steps. First, I had to get a financial aide pin from the website she told me to visit and then I had to submit an application fee, at the cost of $50.00.

I was told this fee was refundable if I chose not to submit my application for enrollment to their school. I guess she forgot to state the 3 days allowable period that was later mentioned to me by their admission's guy who handles the refunds.

Needless to say, I chose not to attend their online university and requested a refund, in an email, stating such. And of course this guy refused on the basis of their 3 day policy.

What a rip off!!!

• Fl
      FloridaMom1026 Mar 10, 2009

If anyone tells you that you need to pay to fill out the FAFSA, it is a scam. The FAFSA is a federal form that does not cost anything to fill out or submit. Get an attorney

• Ladydiana Jul 11, 2009

The $50.00 fee was for enrollment for the school not FAFSA. I go to DeVry, and I paid the $50.00 but it was for the enollment fee for the school not FAFSA.

• Pi
      PieceMaker Oct 28, 2009

Any school you apply to that doesn't have open enrollment, meaning, doesn't accept anyone under the sun, to their University, has an application fee. You cannot find out any Financial Aid information for any school without having an application on file for them. That the law, to protect you, so that everyone isn't accessing your financial information. You were not scammed, you were uneducated.

Devry Universityfraud and cheating

DeVry University is not a school it is a scam. They lure you in with the prospect of ane easy and faster route to a college degree that will improve your earning potential. That's the bait and it's a trap.

You won't get ahead. You'll end up with at best a useless education and a worthless degree and oh yeah plenty of debt. and if you don't pay them Uncle Sam does through the guaranteed student loan program. Your credits won't transfer to a real school. Some have compared the post Devry experience to buying a new car - only you don't get the car only the payments.

• Ri
        Rick Mar 17, 2009

I had a problem with them offering a class for $275 as a special price because I am in Iraq. I accepted their offer and took the class, and all was good for awhile. A year later I found a derogatory mark on my credit report from DeVry, saying I owed them $875. I figured it was a mistake and I called their Student Accounts. I sent them all my paperwork showing that the class was offered to me for $275 they said that their department which sets prices for Armed Forces wouldn't accept the discount they gave me, and that I was therefore responsible for the balance. ?? When I spoke to the manager of the Accounts Escalation she emailed me with the following: "you should discuss this price with your Academic Advisor, I can't help you".
        I am now trying to find a lawyer to sue DeVry. I regret the day that I got mixed up with them.

Janet Perkinson Aug 11, 2010

A Bad Job!

Janet Perkinson Aug 11, 2010

A real bad job.

• Su
        Sued Devry!!! Oct 11, 2010

Devry University is being investigated for fraud. DO NOT GO TO THIS SCHOOL. Watch the video...

• Ar
        Army Vet84 Oct 28, 2013

Do not go to this school .. I have spent three years of my life pursuing an associates of applied science in Network Systems Administration .. The first time I went to the school I was told that the school will help me get a job and that it will not take that long ..

Well, it's been a year SINCE I GRADUATED AND HAVE HAD SO MUCH TROUBLE AND COMPLICATIONS FINDING A JOB IN THE FIELD THAT I OBTAINED MY DEGREE. Everytime they tell me that I do not have the experience and that it would help if I go for the bachelor's ..
        Hello, if the companies and/or corporations are not willing to offer me an opportunity when I have an associates and no experience, then what makes it believable that they will give me an opportunity when I have a bachelor's because I will still have no experience in the field ...

Devry University Onlineterrible experience

Before enrolling I was very concerned about my aid covering every expense. I was told it would cover my costs and after five weeks of begging for them to help me and explain the process to me. I found myself struggling with a bill and I have no idea what I am even paying for. I also was told they would block my classes if I did not call them. Why bother to call because they do not care about my finances. I live on a very tight budget of $792 a month and there is no way I cannot afford their expenses. I expressed my concerns way before I decided to enroll.

Now I am in a huge bind. I have my rent, food, utilities, and medical expenses and have no means to pay them. They received three loans and that was not enough according to them. They worked hard to mislead me and now they do not care about my concerns. I have begged for weeks for help but there is no help. They also threatened to stop my classes if I did not call them. I paid dearly for these classes and they have been paid all but the balance I owe them. I have never paid any expense at any other school and now they charged me for god knows what.

I could not even get them to explain to me what I was paying for and how much.

It is not a good school and they do not care about the students.

They are interested in enrollment and nothing else.

• Re
          Redbirdwarrior Jul 30, 2009

2 things bother me here, Janice.

The finance people called you and told you to call them back so they could help you and you assumed that they were not going to help so you simply didn't call?

Secondly, If DeVry was interested in only enrollement, why not waive the 50 dollar application fee that other online schools (Phoenix, Everest, Kaplan) do? If they are just looking for fresh bodies and signatures, why did they risk you not having 50 dollars?

You are the reason that America is in debt. It isn't that you don't care, its that you would rather spend your energy complaining than paying your debts.

You dont deserve to have a degree.

• Ec
          echamber Sep 09, 2010

all of these online schools are jokes for people that don't know the difference between a college and a pile of [censor]. America is a [censor] place to live because we don't have free education. If the costs of universities were waved and everyone that wanted a degree could get one then the work force would be so much smarter and more effective at their jobs. The single bill that created the US government the greatest revenue in the last hundred years was the G.I. bill that promised free college tuition for those who served in the military. After thirty years of that bill being in place, America had so many more educated professionals than it did before it was passed that it would have been impossible to be a world superpower without it.
          Don't blame the redheaded step children of this dilemma like Devry and ITT, their terrible but America made it so that there had to be terrible schools like them because the costs of institutions have risen dramatically.

Evan

Devry University — overcharging

It is easy to sue any business in California in small claims court and you can do it yourself. No attorney...

Devry University — fraud/financial aid

I requested information about starting a business program at Devry University, got a call back from one of...

Ct Corporation Dba Devry University — exhorbitant tuition fees and dishonest billing

I attended Devry University here in San Diego for a single semester in March of 2008. I was originally quoted...

Devry University Orlando, Fl Campus — scam and rip off!

I agree. DeVry in Colorado is the same with unqualified instructors. DeVry University is not a school it is a...

Devry Universityfinancial

I am currently enrolled in DeVry, I am an A student. DeVry has put my loan on hold and refused to disburse it while charging me interest, I have called 6 times, never got an honest answer emailed more times than I can count.
        I finally called Wachovia, who is handling my student loan, they stated DeVry has done that to scores of students whose loans they are handling, it's away of DeVry conning more money out of their students.
        Wachovia in the mean time is trying to sort this out. I have made a complaint to my state Attorney General, the Federal Trade Comission, and the BBB. I urge everyone who has a problem to do the same, it is only by joint action that we can get something done.

• Om
            omillbro Dec 31, 2008

Congratulation, you found out a little about what DeVry is up to before getting in too deep. Me I am a 1975 graduate of DeVry Phoenix, who decided in March 2008, to go back to DeVry as an online student to pursue my BS in Technical Management. What a terrible decision this has turned out to be, every 8-weeks, it has been one-problem after another with this school, ranging from simple incompetence, on the part of school personnel, to the school just not having the best interest of the student as their focus. As an example of their attitude I you’re your attention to DeVry's last caper, were they sent me a refund, and then six weeks later they ask for it back after I have spent it. Another example would be every term since I have back at DeVry; their Finance department has repackaged my student loan at wrong level credits, which I am allowed to take. This repackaging has taken place every term despite the fact that every term I have gotten on the phone with them to straighten out this problem. Regarding the former aforementioned problem, the solution offered by DeVry was to get me take additional loans. DeVry's solution to my latter problem has been to pass the buck internally. In addition their Academic Advising team has been very non-responsive and unhelpful. Their Career Services apparatus has been useless to me as and Alumni, despite what they advertise.

These types’ things make it very hard for student to focus just on doing well in school. It also points out the poor management at DeVry and greed being their primary motivator, not outstanding customer service. If I were you I would count my blessings and get out now before you get in to deep, like I have. Just cut you loss in time and money and move on.

• Re
            regdev61 Jan 02, 2009

DeVry trains representatives to give students what DeVry has instead of what the students want. I wonder how many thousands of students made an initial investment thinking they were getting what they wanted until they realized they were sitting in the classroom for something totally different. For example, a BS degree in nursing is not the same thing as a BS degree in health care management. Can you imagine how many MILLIONS OF dollars DeVry would have to re-imburse if they were sued? No wonder my ADA would insist that I should cut the presentations and the interviews short; but I refused to do that because the students needs to know what program I am talking about. In the meantime, I have been trying to recruit an attorney to sue DeVry University but they did so many things to me that I need an attorney that has plenty of time to handle my case. I ended up filing a complaing with the Human Rights Commissions in Oklahoma City. If you know of anyone that can handle my case please send me an email at [protected]@yahoo.com In the meantime, I contacted the media and they took my information but they said it would take time. By the way, I am willing to take a polygraph for everything that I stated on my complaint with the Human Right Commissions. At DeVry, I was ridiculed, humilliated, and discriminated against.

• Ca
            Caldreaming Jan 17, 2009

I agree, Devry is nothing more than a paper mill. Their degree might help you get a promotion at your current job but it is not going to help you when you go out into the open job market and try to compete against candidates with real degrees. I took my local Devry school to small claims court and won a $6500. judgment which I am still trying to collect but they continue to hold my college transcript hostage for the single semester and math course which I completed. Not only that but my new school says that their math course will not meet my requirement for college Algebra so I have to repeat the course! But I cannot get another penny of student financing or grant money (despite the fact that I qualify for $4500./semester in grant money), simply because Devry won't provide my transcript. They continue to fight and so will I. I have no doubt I will be victorious in the end. It is easy to file a small claims case in California at your local court house and the you don't have to hire an attorney to do it (no attorneys allowed in small claims court) you can do it all yourself. Devry's real business name is CT Corporation dba Devry University if anyone wants to look up their license information to file in small claims court. The small claims court judges are always on the side of the little guy.

• Sh
            Shoogie Apr 21, 2009

My daughter drove up there the other day to see what they had to offer in graphic web design. They sat her down and made her feel like she is "just the student" they want at Devry! - a real swanky sales approach. Then they told her the degree would cost around $60, 000!!! This "school" is a joke and anyone who gets a good job after graduation is only getting one from someone not familiar with DeVry and probably on their own merits having little to do with the actual degree. My daugher then called around to companies to see if they would hire someone from DeVry. All said no way.

Sad Student Jun 29, 2009

Devry is ripping off their students by charging them for services they don't need. They refuse to do an audit of my account after I asked. I ran out of money for school and had to start getting private loans. Devry went up in there price every semester it seem like was the cost was more and more. The first private loan I did the Financial Advisor only did the loan for the amount I needed at the time and the amount I need to finish, which after speaking to another advisor was the wrong thing to do. I had only 9 classes left to finish and could not b/c I ran out of money and could not get approved for the private loans anymore alone. I was advised that I would need a co-signer after I purchased my home, they wouldn’t approve me for the private loans anymore. The Advisor did not do her job correctly and now I have all the debt and no degree. My complaints is that 1 Devry is to high and 2nd they don't care about the students getting there education just them getting paid. I should have written when my friend did after she found out they were charging her for room and board when they don't even have housing on campus in Houston, TX.

• Db
            dbacks9 Sep 17, 2009

Anyone know how I can fight devry? I applied for a stafford loan and when I decided not to go back to devry I all of a sudden started getting statemnts saying I had to pay back my 1 semester tuition in full of in payments.

• Tb
            T Burkey Jul 04, 2012

I would like to be involved in this class action suit against DeVry. I am also being ripped off of my school loans and being charged me for room and board, while I am an online student. I have four classes left before I get my degree in HIT. I spent the last three years watching them take more money out of me that I was supposed to use for my education, and some one messed up and sent a budget form stating what they are spending it on. I have contacted the Dept of education, and intend on either getting every penny back in my pocket or paid back to my loans. I had to drop a class within the first week because the professor was an A ~ HOLE and I wanted out of there before I knew I would get a bad grade. I asked to be switched. Well they charged me for that whole class twice.I also changed my major in the middle of the year from ECT to HIT and Although I didn't take the whole ECT course, they charged me for the whole course. Now I have no funding to get a bachelors if I wanted to. I would like some more info on how to get these guys. I know they owe me thousands.You can e mail me @ [protected]@yahoo.com.

• Tb
            T Burkey Jul 05, 2012

waht a winey ballbaggy

• Jr
            J.RoseIlano Jul 24, 2012

I completely agree with everyone on this .. Devry has conned me and I have never ever seen a dime of my financial and loans that Devry said i had to make. I saw one, check for school and after that, I never saw another again. I called and called and made complaints about this and they called me a liar and said that "supposedly" I had received it. First of all, they didn't have my right address down and second, they said that once they mail it, they cant reimbursed me for the missing loan. Also, since Ive already lost my money, few months later .. the Financial department sent me documents that they need to update my student account .. so, of course .. i said okay. fax them to me, which they did .. no biggie right? here's the problem ... for months, literally for months, i was in a "fax/document war" with the STUPID FINANCIAL DEPARTMENT OF ###ING DEVRY. I kept sending them my documents and they kept telling me that they didn't receive it and prolonged it for so long. i was giving this heads up of "them needing my documents" in march and i had to get it in before June 20 2010, so that i could start the summer session. so, i said okay .. i kid you not, as June 20th passed by, they said they still didn't have it ... it was until late 2010 or the beginning of 2011, the Financial Department sent me an apology email, stating they they had my documents all along .. by that time, i had already giving up on Devry all together. I learned my lesson. Devry cant be trusted

• Jr
            J.RoseIlano Jul 24, 2012

you can email me at: [protected]@gmail.com

Devrycomplaints

i've just cancelled my enrollment with devry after seeing this site and reading the horror everyone has gone through. knowing now that these people will stop at nothing to ruin the lives of innocent and trusting people, I am worried because they have my bank card information from when I paid the application fee of $50. I also signed a promissory note with sallie mae and provided a co-signer as well. this morning I went into my fafsa and took their school code off, hopefully the damage has not been done.

I hadn't even registered for classes yet and all the bogus crap had already started. I was given 2 different quotes on cost of tuition and when I questioned it I was given the runaround, admissions telling me there must have been a glitch in the system and to clarify with financial aid. when I did call fin. aid, they gave me yet a 3 third quote, this being the highest of all 3 quotes. right then and there, I made it clear that I don't intend to finish with the admissions process and I will not attend devry. she then told me to inform the admissions dept. of cancelling enrollment. I did and of course she didn't pick up so I left a voice message. when I signed the notice of cancellation and sent it back, I also sent an email with the same message, also that I cancelled before the 5 business days was up so I was entitled to a refund. I did that as a backup in case I needed something in writing. I was really surprised she emailed me back later that evening, and of course no apology on giving me the wrong info. on tuition, not even a word. she did mention that it will take 6 weeks for them to process my refund of the app. fee, so we'll see if I get it back. I just hope that this is the last of devry that I will have to deal with.

Devry University — how devry victimizes students

It's a shame you don't have negative stars. I took a single class from Devry years ago, which I paid for at...

Devry University — scam and rip off!

I was just finishing my 6th semester a DeVry, and getting ready to schedule for my 7th, when I was told one...