DeVry University Logo

DeVry University

Having problems with DeVry University?

Highland Landmark V, 3005 Highland Parkway

Nashville Campus
3343 Perimeter Hill Dr. Nashville, TN 37211

Complaints & Reviews

unethical business practices

Today I withdrew from DeVry University Online classes. I'm sad to have had to do that because I had great hopes for my education, but a series of issues arose that convinced me DeVry is not as concerned about their students' education as they are about their cash flow.

The first issue concerns their transfer scholarship. I began talking to DeVry in earnest Dec '08 and was told I was eligible for the scholarship ; the requirements are 1 year since graduation and 3.20 or higher GPA. I graduated in June '08 with a 3.92 GPA. I started classes in March '09, and by May I still hadn't heard if I was going to get the scholarship even though I had asked about it every few weeks since January. Each time I was told no word yet. I began to suspect the scholarship was merely a carrot on a stick and they were running out the clock until I was no longer eligible for it, and I told them that's what I had begun to think.

A short time later one of the academic advisors called and told me I had been awarded the scholarship. Then he informed me I would need to take some placement exams for math by the end of the semester. These were 3 remedial math courses that began with an introduction to fractions up through graphing quadratic equations. Nothing had been said about placement exams for math classes until that day, just one breath away from congratulating me on my scholarship. I had been given full credit for the algebra and physics classes I had taken previously, so I was a little surprised to hear I would need to be tested on addition and subtraction of fractions.

I asked why I needed to take the tests, and the advisor said it was because my upcoming computer programming courses required a lot of math. I checked the text books and discovered that wasn't true - there's no real math requirement for learning C++ or Java. Later, when I told him this, he suddenly changed the reason and said it was because some of my credits didn't transfer. His explanation was that the screen I was looking at didn't show the same information as the screen he was looking at, although we were looking at the same screen. If I didn't take the placement exams within two weeks all 3 classes would be required. If I scored high enough I wouldn't need to take that particular class, and I would be allowed to retake the test one time if I failed an exam.

When the results came back he told me I had scored so low I would have to take all 3 classes. I wasn't allowed to know the test score, or which problems were missed. Now anyone who has bought a car from a shady dealer will instantly recognize this trick: they'll tell the customer they'll agree to throw in a free high-powered stereo if he'll buy the car, then they'll jack up the interest rate on the loan a few points.

I told my advisor I thought this was what they were doing and would retake the test, only this time I would be recording every question and answer by screen capture. The next results showed I needed to take only the last class. I didn't contest this because it seemed like a good idea for a review anyway, as I had missed 3 questions.

The next issue was my instructor in Comp 122. He was AWOL most of the course in the discussion area until students began pleading with him to answer their questions. And if you asked him a question he would never answer it directly - he'd give you an answer that has nothing to do with the question. For example: I asked about question 3 in Chapter 6, and he responded with the answer to question 1 in Chapter 5, with no explanation. There didn't seem to be any connection between the two questions, and when I realized the problem it had nothing to do with the procedure I was using - I had made a syntax error.

The third issue is what I consider the most egregious, and ultimately the one that convinced me DeVry has little concern for the education of their students as opposed to their great concern for a steady cash flow from student loans. Two computer programming classes, Comp 122 and Comp 220, use the same book: C++ Programming - From Problem Analysis to Programming Design, 4th edition, by D.S. Malik. At the end of each chapter are several pages of exercises, including programming exercises that require the student to put to practice the programming principles taught in that chapter. The book instructs students to ask their instructor for the source code solutions to the problems if they wish to use it. I asked for the code from the instructor in Comp 122 and was given a list of answers to true/false, fill in the blank, and multiple choice questions that are already given in the back of the book. After repeated requests, the instructor eventually posted a few solutions in the discussion are.

At the beginning of Comp 220 I emailed the new instructor and again asked for the source code. Here's the text of the actual email:

"Hello Mr. ******, nice to see you have practical experience using programming in real world applications. I'm continuing from Comp 122 and would like to know your position on use of the programming exercises at the end of each chapter. The previous instructor would not release the code, but later after discussions with the staff of DVUO he began to post some in the discussion areas. I hope you recognize the value of using programming exercises such as the ones in the back of the chapters, whether they're the exact problems or equivalent problems generated from scratch. I would like access to some of the code whether they're from the book or another source to practice using the theory taught in the class. I will, of course, respect and abide by your decision, but I'd like to know in advance so I can make arrangements if necessary to ensure I'm understanding the material sufficiently to work any of the problems in the programming exercises."

His reply: "Its (sic) a great idea to work through the exercises at the end of (a) chapter. I'll be posting the exercise solutions for the chapters we will be studying in the next day or two. Good to hear from you...Let me know if you have any other questions!"

What he posted was another set of answers to true/false, fill in the blank, multiple choice questions whose answers are already in the back of the book. Notice I asked for source code and he replied with answers that we already have to true/false, fill in the blank, and multiple choice questions. Could it be that an instructor in a computer programming class doesn't know the difference between source code and answers to true/false questions?

After several exchanges back and forth pretending he didn't know what I was asking for, he admitted the following:

"I was in on the conversation about this last term and it came down to a question of copyright infringement. The acceptable use policy for the instructor materials prohibits electronically posting of answer keys to a publicly accessible location; which make sense because the book company does not want the answers freely given out because it spoils the value of the book for instructors that assign and grade exercises from the book. In the case of DeVry, they decided that we could post the answer keys, in part, because we are not 'publicly accessible.'

I have no problem providing the solutions...the best way to learn this material is to study and copy programs that work...

I've checked out the webpage for our book and they do have a link for instructor materials but I need to call and create an account. Its (sic) a tad late so I'll call in the morning.

I'll keep you posted..."

So he had been in the meeting the previous session where, according to him, the publisher decided DeVry could post the source code, and then he states he supports letting students use the source code- even though he'd been refusing to provide it for 6 weeks, and then only after repeated requests on my part to have access to it. And according to the book, the source code is on the Teaching Tools CD-ROM that the instructor has.

August 19th I complained to a faculty staff member about the situation who then researched this issue and was told yesterday or today the following by a member of the online training faculty office:

"Programming exercise solutions and source code are only for the instructors, not for the students. We are not able to distribute any instructor information to the students. DeVry is not the only institution that uses this text, and we would be compromising the use of any quizzes or exams if we were to give this information out. "

Here's the gist of this whole sordid mess: the solutions to the programming exercises that the publisher says are available to the students through the instructor are off limits to DeVry students because DeVry says they're only for instructors' use. The stated reason is that students might send the source code to students of other schools that use the programming examples for homework (DeVry does not use the programming examples for homework or tests). So DeVry is more worried about other schools' homework than they are about their own students (who are paying $550/credit hr, over $60, 000 for a bachelor degree), even though there's nothing preventing students in other schools giving out the very same source code.

I don't believe that explanation. It makes more sense that they don't want students doing too well because then the number of students having to repeat a class would drop off, and so would their income from student loans.
If you want to go to the website for the book I'm talking about and see the notice to students to get the source code from the instructor, go here:

To be fair, most of the people I have come into contact with at DeVry are conscientious, considerate, friendly and professional. I don't have a problem with the people, it's the culture and/or the business ethic that allows a company such as DeVry to put revenue above all else. I'm not going to suggest you do or do not hire DeVry to educate you, but if you do there are some things you should be aware of.

When I withdrew today I had a 4.0 GPA, so my dissatisfaction is not because of grades - it's because I could not justify putting all the time and money ahead of me into an organization that refuses to give their students basic tools that the author of the book has spent considerable time creating. And because they refuse to be forthcoming and honest until forced to do so. Every time I was on the phone about that source code issue it made me feel like I would feel if I was on a sidewalk standing still as a pickpocket went through my pants.

I can be reached at phillip.[protected]@yahoo.com

unethical business practices

• Su
    Sued Devry!!! Oct 11, 2010

Devry University is being investigated for fraud. DO NOT GO TO THIS SCHOOL. Watch the video...

• Ho
    Holly142 Jan 07, 2012

By all means, get some legal advice with this cheeseball university! I also attended DeVry & with similar reasons as yours, intend to sue for fraud.

• As
    Ashamed of DeVry Apr 20, 2012

What a sad situation. DeVry charges $80+ for "course materials fees" which are really e-books that you could get for a fraction of the price that they charge. As you noted, you pay twice for the book because it used in two classes. Many students are very angry that they are required to pay for ebooks at devry, especially since the format is glitchy...Are they still using the Follett "MyScribe" reader or have they finally contracted with Adobe which is the standard of the industry... and much more secure than the easily hacked MyScribe... That thing froze more often than not, usually during those open book tests...

awful place

I attended Devry for a single semester. I realized in the second week when the bills started to arrive that...

don't believe the hype!

I attended DeVry University from July 2006 to October 2008 and recieved my degree in Business Administration...

Resolved fraud and scam

I am a DeVry graduate (2003) who possess a bachelor of science degree in telecommunications management. For...

Resolved same school, same complaints

Devry ownes Chamberlain School of Nursing. I wish I'd known what I know today, which is that they are...

Resolved rip off

I was researching online education options in the hotel management field when devry's ads popped up. I asked for additional info. And shortly after that starting receiving emails from a tracy blake, student advisor I guess.

I was advised that the only way to truly get a cost estimate for my chosen degree was to follow her recommended steps. First, I had to get a financial aide pin from the website she told me to visit and then I had to submit an application fee, at the cost of $50.00.

I was told this fee was refundable if I chose not to submit my application for enrollment to their school. I guess she forgot to state the 3 days allowable period that was later mentioned to me by their admission's guy who handles the refunds.

Needless to say, I chose not to attend their online university and requested a refund, in an email, stating such. And of course this guy refused on the basis of their 3 day policy.

What a rip off!!!

• Fl
    FloridaMom1026 Mar 10, 2009

If anyone tells you that you need to pay to fill out the FAFSA, it is a scam. The FAFSA is a federal form that does not cost anything to fill out or submit. Get an attorney

• Ladydiana Jul 11, 2009

The $50.00 fee was for enrollment for the school not FAFSA. I go to DeVry, and I paid the $50.00 but it was for the enollment fee for the school not FAFSA.

• Pi
    PieceMaker Oct 28, 2009

Any school you apply to that doesn't have open enrollment, meaning, doesn't accept anyone under the sun, to their University, has an application fee. You cannot find out any Financial Aid information for any school without having an application on file for them. That the law, to protect you, so that everyone isn't accessing your financial information. You were not scammed, you were uneducated.

Resolved fraud and cheating

DeVry University is not a school it is a scam. They lure you in with the prospect of ane easy and faster route to a college degree that will improve your earning potential. That's the bait and it's a trap.

You won't get ahead. You'll end up with at best a useless education and a worthless degree and oh yeah plenty of debt. and if you don't pay them Uncle Sam does through the guaranteed student loan program. Your credits won't transfer to a real school. Some have compared the post Devry experience to buying a new car - only you don't get the car only the payments.

• Ri
    Rick Mar 17, 2009

I had a problem with them offering a class for $275 as a special price because I am in Iraq. I accepted their offer and took the class, and all was good for awhile. A year later I found a derogatory mark on my credit report from DeVry, saying I owed them $875. I figured it was a mistake and I called their Student Accounts. I sent them all my paperwork showing that the class was offered to me for $275 they said that their department which sets prices for Armed Forces wouldn't accept the discount they gave me, and that I was therefore responsible for the balance. ?? When I spoke to the manager of the Accounts Escalation she emailed me with the following: "you should discuss this price with your Academic Advisor, I can't help you".
    I am now trying to find a lawyer to sue DeVry. I regret the day that I got mixed up with them.

Janet Perkinson Aug 11, 2010

A Bad Job!

Janet Perkinson Aug 11, 2010

A real bad job.

• Su
    Sued Devry!!! Oct 11, 2010

• Ar
    Army Vet84 Oct 28, 2013

Do not go to this school .. I have spent three years of my life pursuing an associates of applied science in Network Systems Administration .. The first time I went to the school I was told that the school will help me get a job and that it will not take that long ..

Well, it's been a year SINCE I GRADUATED AND HAVE HAD SO MUCH TROUBLE AND COMPLICATIONS FINDING A JOB IN THE FIELD THAT I OBTAINED MY DEGREE. Everytime they tell me that I do not have the experience and that it would help if I go for the bachelor's ..
    Hello, if the companies and/or corporations are not willing to offer me an opportunity when I have an associates and no experience, then what makes it believable that they will give me an opportunity when I have a bachelor's because I will still have no experience in the field ...

Resolved terrible experience

Before enrolling I was very concerned about my aid covering every expense. I was told it would cover my costs and after five weeks of begging for them to help me and explain the process to me. I found myself struggling with a bill and I have no idea what I am even paying for. I also was told they would block my classes if I did not call them. Why bother to call because they do not care about my finances. I live on a very tight budget of $792 a month and there is no way I cannot afford their expenses. I expressed my concerns way before I decided to enroll.

Now I am in a huge bind. I have my rent, food, utilities, and medical expenses and have no means to pay them. They received three loans and that was not enough according to them. They worked hard to mislead me and now they do not care about my concerns. I have begged for weeks for help but there is no help. They also threatened to stop my classes if I did not call them. I paid dearly for these classes and they have been paid all but the balance I owe them. I have never paid any expense at any other school and now they charged me for god knows what.

I could not even get them to explain to me what I was paying for and how much.

It is not a good school and they do not care about the students.

They are interested in enrollment and nothing else.

• Re
    Redbirdwarrior Jul 30, 2009

2 things bother me here, Janice.

The finance people called you and told you to call them back so they could help you and you assumed that they were not going to help so you simply didn't call?

Secondly, If DeVry was interested in only enrollement, why not waive the 50 dollar application fee that other online schools (Phoenix, Everest, Kaplan) do? If they are just looking for fresh bodies and signatures, why did they risk you not having 50 dollars?

You are the reason that America is in debt. It isn't that you don't care, its that you would rather spend your energy complaining than paying your debts.

You dont deserve to have a degree.

• Ec
    echamber Sep 09, 2010

all of these online schools are jokes for people that don't know the difference between a college and a pile of [censor]. America is a [censor] place to live because we don't have free education. If the costs of universities were waved and everyone that wanted a degree could get one then the work force would be so much smarter and more effective at their jobs. The single bill that created the US government the greatest revenue in the last hundred years was the G.I. bill that promised free college tuition for those who served in the military. After thirty years of that bill being in place, America had so many more educated professionals than it did before it was passed that it would have been impossible to be a world superpower without it.
    Don't blame the redheaded step children of this dilemma like Devry and ITT, their terrible but America made it so that there had to be terrible schools like them because the costs of institutions have risen dramatically.

Evan

Resolved overcharging

It is easy to sue any business in California in small claims court and you can do it yourself. No attorney...

Resolved fraud/financial aid

I requested information about starting a business program at Devry University, got a call back from one of...

Resolved exhorbitant tuition fees and dishonest billing

I attended Devry University here in San Diego for a single semester in March of 2008. I was originally quoted...

Resolved scam and rip off!

I agree. DeVry in Colorado is the same with unqualified instructors. DeVry University is not a school it is a...

financial

I am currently enrolled in DeVry, I am an A student. DeVry has put my loan on hold and refused to disburse it while charging me interest, I have called 6 times, never got an honest answer emailed more times than I can count.
I finally called Wachovia, who is handling my student loan, they stated DeVry has done that to scores of students whose loans they are handling, it's away of DeVry conning more money out of their students.
Wachovia in the mean time is trying to sort this out. I have made a complaint to my state Attorney General, the Federal Trade Comission, and the BBB. I urge everyone who has a problem to do the same, it is only by joint action that we can get something done.

• Om
    omillbro Dec 31, 2008

Congratulation, you found out a little about what DeVry is up to before getting in too deep. Me I am a 1975 graduate of DeVry Phoenix, who decided in March 2008, to go back to DeVry as an online student to pursue my BS in Technical Management. What a terrible decision this has turned out to be, every 8-weeks, it has been one-problem after another with this school, ranging from simple incompetence, on the part of school personnel, to the school just not having the best interest of the student as their focus. As an example of their attitude I you’re your attention to DeVry's last caper, were they sent me a refund, and then six weeks later they ask for it back after I have spent it. Another example would be every term since I have back at DeVry; their Finance department has repackaged my student loan at wrong level credits, which I am allowed to take. This repackaging has taken place every term despite the fact that every term I have gotten on the phone with them to straighten out this problem. Regarding the former aforementioned problem, the solution offered by DeVry was to get me take additional loans. DeVry's solution to my latter problem has been to pass the buck internally. In addition their Academic Advising team has been very non-responsive and unhelpful. Their Career Services apparatus has been useless to me as and Alumni, despite what they advertise.

These types’ things make it very hard for student to focus just on doing well in school. It also points out the poor management at DeVry and greed being their primary motivator, not outstanding customer service. If I were you I would count my blessings and get out now before you get in to deep, like I have. Just cut you loss in time and money and move on.

• Re
    regdev61 Jan 02, 2009

DeVry trains representatives to give students what DeVry has instead of what the students want. I wonder how many thousands of students made an initial investment thinking they were getting what they wanted until they realized they were sitting in the classroom for something totally different. For example, a BS degree in nursing is not the same thing as a BS degree in health care management. Can you imagine how many MILLIONS OF dollars DeVry would have to re-imburse if they were sued? No wonder my ADA would insist that I should cut the presentations and the interviews short; but I refused to do that because the students needs to know what program I am talking about. In the meantime, I have been trying to recruit an attorney to sue DeVry University but they did so many things to me that I need an attorney that has plenty of time to handle my case. I ended up filing a complaing with the Human Rights Commissions in Oklahoma City. If you know of anyone that can handle my case please send me an email at [email protected] In the meantime, I contacted the media and they took my information but they said it would take time. By the way, I am willing to take a polygraph for everything that I stated on my complaint with the Human Right Commissions. At DeVry, I was ridiculed, humilliated, and discriminated against.

• Ca
    Caldreaming Jan 17, 2009

I agree, Devry is nothing more than a paper mill. Their degree might help you get a promotion at your current job but it is not going to help you when you go out into the open job market and try to compete against candidates with real degrees. I took my local Devry school to small claims court and won a $6500. judgment which I am still trying to collect but they continue to hold my college transcript hostage for the single semester and math course which I completed. Not only that but my new school says that their math course will not meet my requirement for college Algebra so I have to repeat the course! But I cannot get another penny of student financing or grant money (despite the fact that I qualify for $4500./semester in grant money), simply because Devry won't provide my transcript. They continue to fight and so will I. I have no doubt I will be victorious in the end. It is easy to file a small claims case in California at your local court house and the you don't have to hire an attorney to do it (no attorneys allowed in small claims court) you can do it all yourself. Devry's real business name is CT Corporation dba Devry University if anyone wants to look up their license information to file in small claims court. The small claims court judges are always on the side of the little guy.

• Sh
    Shoogie Apr 21, 2009

My daughter drove up there the other day to see what they had to offer in graphic web design. They sat her down and made her feel like she is "just the student" they want at Devry! - a real swanky sales approach. Then they told her the degree would cost around $60, 000!!! This "school" is a joke and anyone who gets a good job after graduation is only getting one from someone not familiar with DeVry and probably on their own merits having little to do with the actual degree. My daugher then called around to companies to see if they would hire someone from DeVry. All said no way.

Sad Student Jun 29, 2009

Devry is ripping off their students by charging them for services they don't need. They refuse to do an audit of my account after I asked. I ran out of money for school and had to start getting private loans. Devry went up in there price every semester it seem like was the cost was more and more. The first private loan I did the Financial Advisor only did the loan for the amount I needed at the time and the amount I need to finish, which after speaking to another advisor was the wrong thing to do. I had only 9 classes left to finish and could not b/c I ran out of money and could not get approved for the private loans anymore alone. I was advised that I would need a co-signer after I purchased my home, they wouldn’t approve me for the private loans anymore. The Advisor did not do her job correctly and now I have all the debt and no degree. My complaints is that 1 Devry is to high and 2nd they don't care about the students getting there education just them getting paid. I should have written when my friend did after she found out they were charging her for room and board when they don't even have housing on campus in Houston, TX.

• Db
    dbacks9 Sep 17, 2009

Anyone know how I can fight devry? I applied for a stafford loan and when I decided not to go back to devry I all of a sudden started getting statemnts saying I had to pay back my 1 semester tuition in full of in payments.

• Tb
    T Burkey Jul 04, 2012

I would like to be involved in this class action suit against DeVry. I am also being ripped off of my school loans and being charged me for room and board, while I am an online student. I have four classes left before I get my degree in HIT. I spent the last three years watching them take more money out of me that I was supposed to use for my education, and some one messed up and sent a budget form stating what they are spending it on. I have contacted the Dept of education, and intend on either getting every penny back in my pocket or paid back to my loans. I had to drop a class within the first week because the professor was an A ~ HOLE and I wanted out of there before I knew I would get a bad grade. I asked to be switched. Well they charged me for that whole class twice.I also changed my major in the middle of the year from ECT to HIT and Although I didn't take the whole ECT course, they charged me for the whole course. Now I have no funding to get a bachelors if I wanted to. I would like some more info on how to get these guys. I know they owe me thousands.You can e mail me @ [email protected]

• Tb
    T Burkey Jul 05, 2012

waht a winey ballbaggy

• Jr
    J.RoseIlano Jul 24, 2012

I completely agree with everyone on this .. Devry has conned me and I have never ever seen a dime of my financial and loans that Devry said i had to make. I saw one, check for school and after that, I never saw another again. I called and called and made complaints about this and they called me a liar and said that "supposedly" I had received it. First of all, they didn't have my right address down and second, they said that once they mail it, they cant reimbursed me for the missing loan. Also, since Ive already lost my money, few months later .. the Financial department sent me documents that they need to update my student account .. so, of course .. i said okay. fax them to me, which they did .. no biggie right? here's the problem ... for months, literally for months, i was in a "fax/document war" with the STUPID FINANCIAL DEPARTMENT OF ###ING DEVRY. I kept sending them my documents and they kept telling me that they didn't receive it and prolonged it for so long. i was giving this heads up of "them needing my documents" in march and i had to get it in before June 20 2010, so that i could start the summer session. so, i said okay .. i kid you not, as June 20th passed by, they said they still didn't have it ... it was until late 2010 or the beginning of 2011, the Financial Department sent me an apology email, stating they they had my documents all along .. by that time, i had already giving up on Devry all together. I learned my lesson. Devry cant be trusted

• Jr
    J.RoseIlano Jul 24, 2012

you can email me at: [email protected]

complaints

i've just cancelled my enrollment with devry after seeing this site and reading the horror everyone has gone through. knowing now that these people will stop at nothing to ruin the lives of innocent and trusting people, I am worried because they have my bank card information from when I paid the application fee of $50. I also signed a promissory note with sallie mae and provided a co-signer as well. this morning I went into my fafsa and took their school code off, hopefully the damage has not been done.

I hadn't even registered for classes yet and all the bogus crap had already started. I was given 2 different quotes on cost of tuition and when I questioned it I was given the runaround, admissions telling me there must have been a glitch in the system and to clarify with financial aid. when I did call fin. aid, they gave me yet a 3 third quote, this being the highest of all 3 quotes. right then and there, I made it clear that I don't intend to finish with the admissions process and I will not attend devry. she then told me to inform the admissions dept. of cancelling enrollment. I did and of course she didn't pick up so I left a voice message. when I signed the notice of cancellation and sent it back, I also sent an email with the same message, also that I cancelled before the 5 business days was up so I was entitled to a refund. I did that as a backup in case I needed something in writing. I was really surprised she emailed me back later that evening, and of course no apology on giving me the wrong info. on tuition, not even a word. she did mention that it will take 6 weeks for them to process my refund of the app. fee, so we'll see if I get it back. I just hope that this is the last of devry that I will have to deal with.

how devry victimizes students

It's a shame you don't have negative stars. I took a single class from Devry years ago, which I paid for at...

Resolved scam and rip off!

I was just finishing my 6th semester a DeVry, and getting ready to schedule for my 7th, when I was told one...