DeVry University Logo

DeVry University

Having problems with DeVry University?

Highland Landmark V, 3005 Highland Parkway
Downers Grove, Illinois
United States - 60515-5683
Locations

Arlington Campus
2450 Crystal Dr., Arlington, VA 22202

Nashville Campus
3343 Perimeter Hill Dr. Nashville, TN 37211

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with DeVry University.

Complaints & Reviews

Devry University — horrible employee's

After my first semester, still new to this whole university life style. I was doing great. I managed to keep...

Devry University — unfair financial aid handling practices

Date of Problem Occurrence: 2/18/2012 DeVry University granted me a loan of $7, 000 that is for unsubsidized...

Devry/keller — education deception

Devry University — class action

I sent many complaints to DeVry and to various legal agencies. I spoke to an attorney last Friday and...

Devry University, Pomona, CAunethical, deceitful costly tactics

Statement of facts:

On or about june, 2005, my son, upon high school graduation, was presented with a meager ($100.00) scholarship from the business department to attend devry university, pomona, california site.

Upon being tested and accepted to the university, we attended an open house, at which time, I believe, we completed the application process. All applicants were directed to the financial office where each family met with a financial counselor. It was at this time that we met with a financial counselor that I was advised that no student could attend this university without signing a federal student loan application. I informed my student and the counselor that I could not do that, as there was no way I could afford a loan. Our family was embroiled in a vicious domestic-violence divorce /child custody proceeding at the time and we were struggling to find a place to live at the time. It was my greatest desire for my son to attend the school of his choice for higher learning, and upon hearing this news we were both very concerned and upset.

The counselor then informed me that, while all students (Or their parents) were required to sign this loan application, that “no action would be taken unless it became necessary for tuition purposes” and that I would be “contacted for a meeting with the financial aid department before any loan application would be submitted.” the counselor also told me that this would not be a loan that I would ever have to pay back, so my concerns regarding a loan payback commitment were unfounded and if I did not sign the form, my son would not be permitted to attend devry university.

At this time, note that all of my children and myself were under the care of psychologists for domestic violence issues, and i, personally, was taking medication under the care of a psychiatrist for depression and post-traumatic stress syndrome. I was in no condition to enter into such a legal and binding contract, and only signed the loan document under extreme duress, under the pretense that it would not be submitted to any loan, bank, or financial agency of any kind, without first being notified for my personal authorization. This document was signed under great emotional duress.

During the course of my son’s attendance at devry, we moved several times as our lives had been threatened and I separated from my employment, as my former spouse was also employed by the same agency and in the same vicinity and my vehicle was being sabotaged in addition to the fact that I was receiving death threats.

As far as I can recall, I paid for my student’s supplies out of my personal bank account. My son was promised a personal lap-top computer as part of a normal process in attending devry (I did not own a computer at the time and it would have been necessary for my student to have one to complete his school work). My son informed me that after several weeks and conferring with other students, some who were in their 3rd and 4th years at the university, everyone was promised one, but no one he came into contact with had ever received one.

With our personal dilemma of homelessness, my son decided not to continue attending devry as it was very stressful to find and pay for transportation and school supplies while we were struggling to meet basic standard needs such as daily food and shelter. It was also very difficult to complete homework assignments, as he would have to go to someone else’s house to use their computer.

At some point after this, our financial circumstances forced me into bankruptcy. While in the bankruptcy process, I received a few letters from various agencies offering to take on my “student loan” at a discounted rate. I was also receiving various offers from the same types of companies, offering car loans and various other financial assistance. I attributed them to the bankruptcy filing and disregarded them, as I knew I did not have a student loan or a car loan and I knew very well that I could not, in good conscience, take

Out any type of loan knowing that I had no means with which to make any type of re-payment. I could not even pay my attorney, so he was taking all of my child support payments and I was not receiving any assistance of any kind.

A few years back, I received notice of a federal student loan default, which was very confusing to me. I contacted the company and they informed me that the loan was for my son’s attendance at devry university in pomona. I immediately contacted devry university.

Devry university refused to speak with me because my son was now an adult. I indicated that this was regarding a financial matter, and since he was a minor when he enrolled, and I was the person financially responsible for his attendance there, that I should be entitled to his financial records. Employees in the finance department at devry advised me to call back after a certain time, which I did. When I did call back, I was informed that no one could assist me in obtaining any financial accounting of my son’s records. I asked when a manager was going to be available and again, they told me to call back later, any future calls I made that day were immediately disconnected when I told them who I was and that I was still trying to find a financial accounting of my son’s records.

Following our phone call fiasco, it became clear to me that a personal appearance was necessary. My son and I went to devry’s financial office early the next morning. There were only two students (One male, one female) visible working in the office when we arrived, and I advised the young female of my situation, which was:

1) I was advised by devry’s financial counselor that no loan document would be processed without first consulting with me and obtaining my permission to submit the loan application to a financial agency;

2) I had paid for items with personal checks;

3) my student was promised, among other things, a personal lap-top computer;

4) unbeknownst to me, the loan application had been processed without me being contacted and without my permission;

5) the loan was now in default and I needed a financial accounting of how much money was attributed to my student during his attendance at devry, were we charged for a personal lap top computer, and if so, who received the computer and who received the benefits of monies sent to the school for my son.

The girl became very concerned and walked through a door into the back portion of the office, where I overheard muffled conversation between her and an obviously older male. She returned to the counter and stated that she could not release the information to me because of student privacy issues. I informed her that my student was there, ready to give his permission for me to obtain copies of all of his academic records from devry, including, and especially, his financial records. Once again, she retreated to the back office and I could hear an agitated older male voice giving her instruction. She came back to the counter and informed us that only she and another student were in the office at the time and the department manager was not going to return to the office for another half hour or so and that I should leave and come back later in the afternoon. I advised the girl that we had driven quite a way to come to resolve the matter and we would be happy to wait.

After approximately fifteen minutes, an older male came out of the back office, looked at us, and called the girl into his office. She again came out and said it would be best if we left our phone number and we would receive a phone call when someone could assist us. I informed her that the previous day I had made several phone calls requesting the information and after being hung up on several times, there was no other way to resolve this issue other than in person. She returned to the office, had another muted conversation, and returned to the counter area of the office, where she ignored us.

From that point on, we had waited for an additional 47 minutes when the man called the girl back into his office. She came out with keys and a large male student (Not the older man who had been speaking to her) and informed us that there had been an emergency and their office needed to close immediately. (Please note it had been very quiet in the office the entire time we were there and no other people had come into the office.) it was early afternoon (About 2:00pm) by this time. I told them I would be happy to wait, but was informed I would absolutely have to leave their office. I did not want to make a scene (I was not being disrespectful, I was only seeking records that were rightfully ours – we were both in a very depressed state and were not capable of “fighting, ” arguing, or becoming violent). My son and I waited outside the door of the financial office for another two hours or so until a security guard came to lock doors because classes were out for the day and all offices were closing (It was about 4:30 when we had to leave because the building was being locked up).

My emotional state at that point (Combined with the personal homeless/basic needs issues) was one of despair and great disappointment in the university, which had been portrayed as such an upstanding establishment. I left empty handed, and reported back to the financial agency that devry was unable to confirm that my student had ever received any financial assistance and as I was unaware the loan had been processed and with my present hardships, I was not able to assist them. I did not have the means to do so, but neither did I have proof that my student ever benefitted from the alleged loan.

In 2008, I received another notice and my son was on the phone with me while we talked to a female manager in the finance department. After three phone conversations with her, she relented and stated she would release my son’s records if he signed a release form. Of course, he consented, and she faxed the form, my student filled it out and returned it. We called her to confirm receipt, and she assured us she had received it and that she would fax the documents to us that afternoon. We never heard from them again and I did not have the emotional or physical wherewithal to continue requesting information from an agency which absolutely did not, for some reason, want us to see my son’s financial records.

I have not had any type of “normal” job where I received any type of “steady” paycheck since 2005, until I was offered my previous position and hired in december 2011. Now that I have been hired, I am getting harassed by phone calls from progressive financial services for my “defaulted” student loan, that no one can prove to me was ever utilized to benefit my student. As far as I know, devry took it upon themselves to submit the loan application without my permission and utilized the funds inappropriately. No one has yet disclosed to me the amount that was submitted to devry, where it was applied, or who benefited from it; and, since devry still refuses to release any records of any kind to me or to my student, I must question the validity of this loan.

Therefore, I respectfully state that:

Inasmuch as I was forced to sign the document under great emotional duress and threat by devry’s financial counselor that my student would not be permitted to attend without this document being signed as a “security” only; and,

Inasmuch as I pleaded with devry’s financial counselor that I could not sign this form as I had no means of repayment; and,

Inasmuch as I was emotionally incapacitated and under the care of mental health professionals at the time; and,

Inasmuch as devry’s financial counselor assured me this document would not be submitted to any loan, bank, or financial agency without first consulting with me and obtaining my authorization and permission; and,

Inasmuch as devry’s financial counselor assured me this document was only to assure my student enrollment at devry and it was not a loan I would ever have to repay; and

Inasmuch as under the circumstances, benefits of this loan were obtained by devry under false pretenses as stated above; and,

Inasmuch as devry refuses to provide or permit access to any financial records pertaining to this loan, or an accounting thereof,

I hereby contest the fact that I am being required to pay any amount as a repayment of, or payment to retrieve, the loan from default status.

Ashamed of DeVry Aug 17, 2012

You were eloquent in your description. Sadly, this sort of story is commonplace now. I do hope that you can find a local attorney: California State Law is more strict and that may assist you. Interestingly, no longer will Devry receive California Grants: They were disallowed due to high default rates on loans.

Devry University Pomona, CA — unethical, deceptive costly tactics

Statement of facts: On or about june, 2005, my student, upon high school graduation was presented with a...

Devry Universityblood from turnip

My partner and I lost our jobs. We tried to make arrangements with Devry University to pay my debt, but they refused to work with me. They wanted the full amount on the exact day it was due. I couldn't always do this, but I did the best I could. On June 27, 2012 I received the rudest phone call from some female demanding payment right then and there. I tried to explain that I had previously made arrangements to make my full and final payment to them the next day which was a payday for me. I told her I had an e-mail from Devry confirming this arrangement. Essentially she repeatedly called me a liar, so I hung up on her because she would not hear me. The payment was made as arranged, in FULL, on June 28, 2012. Today, July 5, 2012, I received a letter that I have been reported to the credit bureaus for non-payment (just as that female promised). This is a lie. I now will have to fight with the credit bureaus about this. Be warned. Devry makes no allowances for life's uncertainties and will make your life miserable until you give them what they think they should get, irregardless. Thank you

Angry at Devry Aug 12, 2012

I would like to look into a class-action lawsuit against devry and their unethical, deceptive financial practices. My son was a minor when he first went to devry (I refuse to capitalize their name) and it has been a financial nightmare. We (both my son and I) have been trying to get from them a financial accounting of his time there SINCE 2008 and we are continually being ignored. There must be a way to STOP THESE PRACTICES or at least make them VERY PUBLIC. If anyone is serious or would like to participate in a class action lawsuit to recover funds from this school, please contact me at [protected]@yahoo.com

RonMilco Nov 24, 2012

I agree 110 per cent. There financial aid department are the most deceptive, misinformation, liars, They advised me to take 2 courses, in an 8 week section, finanical aid said that I would receive a $3000.00 disbursement. Well it never came. My life took a nose dive. Its sad because I only had 3 more courses to complete my MBA.
        I'm suing Devry(Keller) in small claims court for the full amount, 10k.
        I can use anyones advise on how to win.
        Please contact me at [protected]@yahoo.com

Devry Universitydeception

When I was unemployed in 2007, Know one would hire me because I didn't have a College Degree. However, I saw an on-line add about Devry University. I answered some questions because I wanted more information concerning the "Career Assistance". I got calls from them everyday concerning enrollment. Since I was depressed and vulnerable, because I couldn't find a job. I went in to the location in Gwinnett GA. since they called me everyday. They immediately gave me he FASTA application to fill out. Well to make a long story short. I ended up attending Devry, but I was unable to graduate because I ran out of financial ad. Now, I can not pay back my student loans because they were like vultures, they took all of my student loans. They never informed me that it is going to cost 75K to attend Devry and you have 50K on your student loans to attend, so you will have to come out of pocket 25K. They lied to me. All they were interested in was cashing in on my student loans. They told me how to lie on the FASTA application so I could get the PELL grant, but I could not lie. Plus, I never received the Career Assistance promised on the web-site advertisement, Help, I can not pay my student loan, they were vultures concerning my student loans.

• Vi
          Vickye Poindexter-Wilsn Apr 25, 2013

My list of complaints against DeVry/Keller is long but undistinguished. First and foremost is the fact that while at DeVry University, I was told by DeVry representatives, I could transfer my credits to anywhere in the world. This proved not to be true as I recently found out. This explains why my Deans and Admissions personnel at DeVry key-holed me into enrolling at Keller University after my graduation. I was not made aware that DeVry had the incorrect accreditation for my success.
          Moreover, during my scholastic career at DeVry, I followed the syllabus and purchased a textbook that was outdated. Upon commencing the class, I became aware of DeVry’s oversight and brought it to their attention. I asked for my near three hundred dollars in refund, since the mistake was DeVry’s and was told in no uncertain terms “no way.”
          Upon commencing my Bachelor’s program at DeVry, no one in admissions made me aware I did not have enough money disbursed to even enter the program. Shortly thereafter, I became painfully aware of this fact through research that I would now owe approximately five thousand dollars to continue. I had to beg, borrow but not steal the money to continue. My inclination was to drop out, but I had already gone too far. Additionally, DeVry always played the shell-game with my refunds. My communiques would say one amount and when my remaining funds hit my accounts, I would always receive a drastically decreased amount.
          Recently, I spoke with two Human Resources Managers and asked them to review my resume. These folks slapped me in the face with a dose of reality. They told me my problem was not my resume, but in fact it was that I attended DeVry and Keller. Their words to me were that “DeVry/Keller puts out quantity but not quality.” Human Resources Mangers place DeVry and Keller at the bottom of the pile and sometimes never look at the submissions. Please contact me about the class action suit, I am $75.000 debt, with addition $14.000 have money I wasted at Keller, as well this has to stop.

Devry Universityrip off

Told I could pay by the class and did so. Now that I am down to one class have to pay for a full year's tuition. Told would have one math class before I could take statistics - now it is 5 classes and i've already paid 19000+ now another 7800, to get degree. Run from this place it is a rip off and misrepresented itself to get the money started then you are hooked and get nothing if you don't continue to pay! They should teach a class in fraud-they would be excellent at it.

• De
            DeVry University Jun 18, 2012

Hi Debbie,

We're sorry that you feel this way. Can we help with this issue? E-mail us at [protected]@DeVry.edu if you would like to talk.

For more than 80 years, DeVry University has been providing quality career-oriented higher education. DeVry University has been institutionally accredited by The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (www.ncahlc.org) since 1981, the same regional agency that accredits the University of Michigan, Purdue University, Notre Dame, the United States Air Force Academy, and many other top universities.

Since 1975, over 250, 000 undergraduate students system-wide have graduated from DeVry University. In fact, each year thousands of our graduates find themselves right where they want to be – employed in their field of study. We are so proud of our respectable track record that we make the most current graduate employment rates by degree program available for the public to compare to other institutions: http://www.devry.edu/career-services/employment-statistics.jsp

Graduates of DeVry University are able to achieve their educational and career goals through associate, bachelor’s and master’s degree programs and specializations covering 34 different career fields. Additionally, DeVry University’s Keller Graduate School of Management offers graduate programs in 16 distinct areas of concentration.

We encourage prospective students to research the full and complete facts about the schools they are considering. With more than 95 locations in metro areas across the United States and Canada, and through an unparalleled flexible offering of year-round day, night, weekend and online coursework, we will continue to stand behind DeVry University’s mission to foster student learning through high-quality, career-oriented education integrating technology, science, business and the arts.

Best Regards,

DeVry University
            www.DeVry.edu

Devry Miramar Campuswrongful charge

I withdraw from the course and didnt even take the course online and they charge me over 500 dollars for a course I didn't even take and I trying to go back to school but I need my transcript from Devry and they will not release it because of non payment of a course I didn't even take!! So I can go nowhere else cause they wanna get paid for unused course! Total Ripoff!!

• SKOR May 09, 2012

Did you withdrawal from the course before the cut-off date?

Devry Universityeducation scam

DeVry’s motto > You can tailor your DeVry University experience to meet the demands of your schedule. Your education is an investment. We help you prepare for the real challenges you'll face in the workplace by bringing the real world into the classroom. Enjoy the confidence that comes from earning your degree from a reputable university that's respected by top employers. That means at DeVry University, you'll earn more than a degree. You'll receive a career education that can lead to career success.
            > The only thing you have to remember is that your success is not happening in this lifetime but you will have the burden of government loan debts forever for investing your education in DeVry. The fat cats have to get rich off all the ignorant students who don’t know any better.

• Jr
                jrwe Mar 31, 2012

I sued and they tried to settle. I am trying to upload a copy of the settlement. This school is a fraud and they have been exposed. There is a class action being started send your information to make sure you have evidence of what you were told like emails. Go to help.devry.edu to print them/.

Here is a copy of the settlement documents, .

SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT AND GENERAL RELEASE

This Settlement Agreement and Release (the “Agreement”) is entered into between DeVry University, Inc". (“DeVry”), and Plaintiff

Incorporation of Recitals, . The recitals set forth in the Background section above are incorporated in the body of this Agreement as if fully set forth herein:.

2, . Monetary Consideration|. Upon the later of (a) receipt of this Agreement signed by all parties and (b) notice that Plaintiff has dismissed the Complaint with prejudice, DeVry shall forgive the outstanding balance on Plaintiff's account with DeVry and shall not seek payment of the outstanding balance on this account from Ellis; provided that if Plaintiff ever re-enrolls at DeVry or another institution owned or operated by DeVry Inc., the balance on his account resulting from Plaintiff's attendance at DeVry at any time prior to his execution of this Agreement shall become immediately due and payable.

4. No Admission of Liability. The execution of this Agreement shall not be deemed or construed as an admission of liability by DeVry, and DeVry expressly denies liability of any nature whatsoever arising from or related to the subject of the Agreement.

5. Confidentiality; Public Statements. The parties agree that both the existence of the Agreement and the terms contained in this Agreement are confidential and shall not be disclosed to any third parties, except that the parties may disclose the foregoing (a) to the extent required by legal process, court order, or applicable law, rule or regulation, (b) to their respective attorneys, accountants, auditors or financial advisors, and boards of directors, and to governmental bodies to the extent necessary to comply with any applicable tax or financial reporting laws, rules or regulations, and (c) in the event of a breach to allow the non-breaching party to enforce his, her, or its rights under the Agreement in the courts in the Chicago metropolitan area. In the event of any inquiries by any third party concerning the status or resolution of the Complaint, no information shall be disclosed other than that such matters have been “resolved.”

6. Non-Disparagement. Plaintiff agrees to refrain from any communications with third parties, written or oral, that could reasonably be considered to constitute disparagement of DeVry.

7. Non-Cooperation and Non-Solicitation. Plaintiff agrees that he will not assist any attorneys or their clients in the presentation or prosecution of any disputes, differences, grievances, claims, charges, or complaints by any third party against DeVry, unless compelled by lawful subpoena or court order. Plaintiff further agrees that he will not solicit or encourage any third party to present or prosecute any disputes, differences, grievances, claims, charges, or complaints against DeVry.

8. Understanding of the Parties. (a) This Agreement constitutes the entire understanding between the parties and supercedes all prior agreements, agreements in principle, and written or oral communications with respect to the resolution of the Complaint. (b) This Agreement may not be modified, amended or terminated, except by a written agreement which is signed by each of the parties hereto. (c) Each party represents and warrants (i) that he or it has had the opportunity to obtain independent advice from counsel of its choosing in negotiations for and the execution of the Agreement, (ii) that he or it has read the Agreement or have had the same read to them by his or its counsel, and (iii) that he or it is fully aware of its contents and legal effect.

9. Authority. Each person executing this Agreement represents and warrants that such person is lawfully authorized and empowered to execute the same as an individual or on behalf of the entity on whose behalf such person is signing, and that upon such execution this Agreement will be binding on such entity without any further approval, ratification, or other action.

10. Binding on Successors and Assigns. Neither this Agreement nor any interest hereunder may be assigned by any party without the prior written consent of all other parties to this Agreement. This Agreement shall be binding upon the parties and their respective successors, permitted assigns, heirs, and executors notwithstanding any reorganization, merger, or consolidation of any party hereto.

11. Severability. The parties agree that, if any term or provision of this Agreement is found to be invalid or unenforceable for any reason, then the invalid or unenforceable term or provision shall be severed so as to make the Agreement enforceable to the fullest extent permissible under applicable law.

12. Further Assurances. The parties agree to execute any additional documents to do all other acts reasonably required to effect the intent and purposes of this Agreement. 13. Applicable Law. This Agreement shall be governed and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Illinois, irrespective of its conflict of law rules.

14. Headings. The paragraph headings contained herein are for convenience only and are not intended to add or subtract from the text hereof.

15. No Third Party Beneficiaries. Nothing contained herein is intended to confer any rights on any person or entity other than the parties hereto. No third party beneficiary rights shall be conferred on any party by virtue of this Agreement or any term or provision hereof.

16. Counterparts. This Agreement may be executed in more than one counterpart, each of which shall be deemed to be an original and all of which, taken together, shall constitute one agreement binding on all parties.

17. Court Jurisdiction. The parties agree that in the event of a breach of this Agreement, the party seeking enforcement shall be entitled to specific performance in a court in the metropolitan area of Chicago, Illinois and the prevailing party shall be entitled to an award of its costs and attorney fees in connection with such application. The parties submit to the jurisdiction of the courts in the metropolitan area of Chicago, Illinois, to resolve any disputes arising from, or relating to, this Agreement.

18. Agreement as Evidence. Nothing in this Agreement shall prohibit a party from offering the Agreement as evidence in a legal, administrative, or quasi-judicial proceeding involving a claim released herein.

19. This Agreement shall be construed as a whole and not for or against any party.

If to DeVry, to:

AGREED AND ACCEPTED.

Dated:

DEVRY UNIVERSITY, INC.

Anonymous1962 Apr 11, 2012

I need to know how we join this class action lawsuit. Please provide me with information. Maybe if enough of us join this that has rightful cause, we can get this University out of it's arrogance and quit ripping off people that pay a lot of money to attend this worthless college.

MARUKKA Apr 16, 2012

Greetings to DeVry - Each of us was in your life for a reason. You may not have known the reason at the time but sometimes when people sacrifice something so precious, as a university education; not everyone is willing to lose it to a bunch of thieves at DeVry. There are no random acts and we are all connected. You can no more separate one life from another than you can separate a breeze from the wind.

New rules and regulations are now sending a clear message to All For-Profit educational institutions that their students' outcomes matter. The Federal government will continue cracking down on all for-profit education businesses that have stolen so many students' university education while their executives kept getting richer. The Time Is Now – For All To Take A Stand to Protect Our Rights as Students in obtaining a Creditable University Education.

Devry Inc - Ross University School Of Veterinary Medicine — wrongfully dismissed, filed a lawsuit

I was wrongfully dismissed from Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine (a subsidiary of DeVry Inc.) I...

Devry Universitymisrepresentation

They misrepresent their engineering technology degrees (Cet, eet, bmet, ect.) as real engineering degrees. These degrees are not real engineering degrees and will not get you real engineering jobs. Engineering tech degrees are best suited for those who can not complete an actual engineering degree. If you want to be an engineer stay far away from devry, you are only going to waste money and time like I did.

How to they misrepresent their program? They advertise as an engineering program, their admissions advisers (Recruiters) outright lie about the degree and they claim that they are accredited by abet just like uiuc, uc berkeley and mit. While they are abet accredited they are not accredited for engineering, they are accredited for engineering technology which is a different field (Abet outright says that it is a different field).

Devry Universitydissatisfied

DeVry is manipulating students in my opinion. They have no job leads, scholarships, or grants. First of all, they will let anyone into the school as long as your FAFSA allows you to pay them or borrow at high interest rates. The admissions representatives may attempt to obtain several pieces of information right up front that have nothing to do with your success as a hard working student.

First of all, DeVry doesn't care if you are a good student with high test scores or a good GPA. Admissions wants your social security number and FAFSA so that they can start a borrowing process that will haunt you with debt. They get points for selling you a product which may have no positive outcome. You will be in debt if you take out a loan to pay DeVry's increasing tuition fees. Nothing is owed to you from them and they will not give you anything unless you pay them.

DeVry preys on desperate individuals who are seeking a job in this time of career uncertainty. DeVry will use the control of getting you a job to force you into debt. I worked for the school and I know that they think the students are a joke. I would not recommend that any intelligent person to this school. We live in a good Country where Congress is working to reduce this kind of behavior at for-profit schools because it hurts Americans.

Devry Keller — ripoff

Trusting in false advertising, I became a student at DeVry's Keller graduate school of management. Thi...

Devryfraudulent or incompetent

While I was enlisted in the US Army, I tried to continue my higher education in my off-duty hours by using the military tuition assistance program (TA) to attend college classes. During a part of my enlistment, regular class attendance was virtually impossible due to long and irregular work hours, so I enrolled in DeVry University’s online courses. This decision turned out to be a horrible mistake on my part. DeVry was nothing but a disruption to my education, financial health, and career. Working with the DeVry staff was a 9-month nightmare that I would not care to repeat.

I used the military tuition assistance program to pay for a portion of my tuition for DeVry. I processed the tuition assistance paperwork as required by the military education center, they paid the army’s portion of the tuition as promised, and I paid the rest out of pocket. However, DeVry repeatedly billed me for the ENTIRE tuition bill – including the portion ALREADY PAID by the US Army. Attempts to contact DeVry’s finance staff were exceedingly frustrating. They were rarely responsive, and when they replied they simply stonewalled the problem while late fees were piled on to my balance.

For a while I incorrectly suspected that the military TA program had made some administrative errors which prevented payment, so I contacted my military education center’s finance specialist – the person in charge of handling TA payments to various colleges. That finance specialist showed me clear proof that the electronic fund transfers from the military to DeVry had taken place in a timely and accurate manner. She also contacted DeVry’s finance staff herself in order to straighten out the matter. She called DeVry and left multiple messages, but DeVry was even less responsive to her than they were to me; the matter remained unresolved and the bills and late fees continued.

After about 9 months, I got fed up with DeVry. I stopped taking classes; I warned DeVry that unless they resolve my billing issue, I was going to take legal action against them for defrauding me and for defrauding the US Army. This finally got their attention. By some “miraculous coincidence”, they almost immediately “found” the electronic trace numbers for the aforementioned TA fund transfers and settled the payment issue with me.

Regardless of whether this turn of events was the result of deliberate deception or gross incompetence on the part of DeVry, it turned out to be an incredibly disruptive influence on my education, military career, and personal finances. I made a wasteful mistake by attending uninspiring and mediocre online classes from an overpriced "college" such as DeVry. I should have wised up when I noticed their over-the-top sales pitches (i.e. exaggerated job placement & salary claims, & even a self-comparison to Harvard & Yale). Luckily, their attempt to cheat me (and cheat the US military) forced me to recognize DeVry for the money-grubbing degree mill they are. I completed my undergraduate studies at a real college following the end of my military enlistment. I hope other military service members and veterans will not make the same mistake I did by attending DeVry or other institutions like it. There is good reason that for-profit "colleges" carry with them the stigma of being greedy degree mills, so stay away from them and enroll in a REAL school!

Devry Universitycriminals

I too was suckered into DeVry. There is this woman Beverly Smith that manipulated me into thinking that DeVry is the choice because of their reputation. Now I think back about it, what was this reputation? All I heard was reputation, I thought about it. That’s all it is, just the word reputation; they have no reputation! First and foremost, the double charged me on my application fee. They promise me that I will not be paying any money out of my pocket until I graduate. Before the first half of the semester was over, I was told I have to pay over $300 or else I cannot continue. Longer story below, shorter version here; I now have money owe to the financial aid and paying for something I cannot use! I have earned my A++, but I am not allowed to get it through DeVry because of their structure. So an education institute that is here for us, to help and make our country stronger, they rather just go piss in the wind. No wonder this country is failing, have an education system like this that allows any person that has a social security number attend. I am sorry, I am paying over $7k semester and paying out of pocket expense for books and software and only use 25% of material, and on top of that OPEN BOOK TEST??

FYI, supposedly I did a feat where it is a rare occasion. I did 3 math levels within 7 weeks and having a 98%. From math 032, 092, and 114. I was told that this was an accomplishment that never anyone wants to do. I am told this by people from DeVry, but never got recognition for it, in fact I got criticized for it, as I was expecting a prize or something. Their attitudes suck and they don’t care about you, they just care about getting federal grants and money from you so they can earn their money, unethically. Here is a school that teaches you ethics, and their ethics is like our government; “Do what I say, not what I do!”

My bad experience was choosing and going to DeVry. Talking to these people, I get better results from my dog! I ask a question, and no one is competent enough to actually have an answer, let alone trying to find that answer. What they do when they don't know they answer, they just make up stuff! Craig Jacobs is the president of DeVry Phoenix campus and as well as Martin Florez. These incompetent people are playing devils advocate in treating me like I am a criminal. I had complaints, issues, concern, etc... and none of them were ever met. So what they do is incriminate me. They take all these e-mails I sent to people that were NOT doing their job and decided to take the portion of the e-mail of me stating FACTS against them. They took it as a threat and snowball it into an unfair and unjust reasoning. They decided to WITHDRAW me from my classes. YES, WITHDRAW! I was 7 weeks into the 8 week semester and lost out of my time and credit earn because of what? I fought my way to have myself heard and all they do is incriminate me, TOOK everything I have said against me so I can no longer go to their school. Now for the reality of the situation of how surreal, to unreal it is! I had a hearing where I can be heard. Well no one wanted to listen to me, because of how I was represented by Martin Florez, the DEAN. The outcome was that I was suspended indefinitely, but was considered for re-instatement. So for me to re-instated, I am told I have to take anger management and sexual harassment classes/sessions. So I inquired about it, where do I take these courses, how long do I have to take them, do you know how much, etc... A normal question for someone that has brains and wants to understand what it is that is going on. I am told by the PRESIDENT, that for legal reasons he cannot say anything. So they can give out reprimand, but they cannot elaborate on it?

Well I didn’t like what I had to hear, especially how I have been treated. Inquired to the HQ of DeVry in Illinois and tried contacting the CEO, Daniel Hamburger. For someone that has a vision, he lacks integrity of following up with his word. Anyway, there is a woman (Kelly Wasilevich) that contacts me and says she is going to be doing an investigation of behalf of what I was complaining. After a few weeks go by, she responds to me saying the investigation is complete. Ok, I am curious about something, when were you going to ask me questions? The whole point of an investigation is to find the truth, not reevaluate how the hearing went and saying everything is in order. Of course the paperwork is in order, I am talking about what it is they are writing down is incriminating and they don’t care how I should take these classes. Kelly proceeds to tell me that I can take it on campus, this classes/session from the first hearing that the PRESIDENT said he cannot elaborate because of legal reasons and here I am told they had these classes on their campus the WHOLE TIME! Well I guess that entered me into a second hearing, but this second hearing was worse than the second one. Martin Florez over talk me on whatever I say. I speak, and then he would “clarify” to the panel in his words. I kept telling him to STOP doing that, and says no. What he doesn’t realize what it is he is doing, he is justify himself to like the good guy from this situation and me looking like the bad guy. It is all on tape!

To me that says a lot more about this school, than it does about me. The whole time I wanted to better myself, and I thought I would choose DeVry, but I never knew that an institute with this much reputation would do something like, let alone GET AWAY WITH IT! THEY ARE CRIMINALS! I am still in process of contacting Daniel Hamburger, leaving him voicemails.

Ashamed of DeVry Jan 20, 2012

Your frustration is painful to witness. I am aware of many such complaints and sadly, they don't get too far. DeVry's legal staff is likely to squelch your angst with a little payoff if your attorney demands it. They will give you a couple grand to hide the sins. You will need to sign a waiver and non-disclosure statement. This is how they avoid notice by the accreditation groups. If they can bribe - no, I meant to say, if they can "resolve" - your issue with no acknowledgement of guilt, then the conspiracy -- oops, I meant to say "issue" is put to bed. As I mentioned, I feel your frustration... and I did not sign any silencing agreement but was offered one.

When we get a law that requires the arbitration and non-disclosure payoffs (oops... "agreements") to be TRANSPARENT and PUBLIC domain, then we will have a different ethical climate at the for-profit educators. Write your representatives in Congress and the Department of Education as well as your State Representatives. Something must be done to contain this. Thanks.

Ashamed of DeVry Apr 20, 2012

Please read: www.stopdevry.net
                        Please get an attorney.
                        Do not ask for re-admittance. Do not speak to anyone at DeVry without attorney.

Devry Universitybeware of devry thieves!

All students beware of devry thieves

“devry inc. A world leader in providing educational services.” the biggest lie among for-profit schools. Devry might be a world leader profiting off student scholarships and grants but they don’t deliver the education necessary for graduates to get a decent job afterward. Paper mill degrees are on the rise during the recession with for-profit universities like devry making empty promises and robbing students of a valuable university education.

stewartb Sep 15, 2011

DeVry is just a Scam School . Shame that they can regard themselves as higher education facility when they are only a business seeking profits off unwary students. BLOOD MONEY. Don't know how they can sleep at night knowing how they scam students to get their scholarships and federal aid money. Where are the regulators protecting students & our investments? Devry needs a shake down & internal audit of how they misappropriate grants & scholarship money:.

Brick and mortar traditional non profit schools are the best choice where the primary concern is education not the for profit con job DeVry thrives on!. DeVry is a business institution so don’t fall for the hype from their savoir-faire employees;. Their associates are well-paid to mislead consumers to sign their contract, . Hook, line and sinker is what they say?. DeVry’s primary interest is profit and not quality education?. If you want a quality education, look elsewhere

stewartb Sep 15, 2011

heath2011 DeVry went DOWN-UNDER since 2005, bro. Wake up from your slumber. Your brother should be glad he got a job with the crap paper (aka degree) they're handing out these days. Might be that your brother is working for Devry since that's abot the only place hiring with their name attached on the resume.

stewartb Sep 17, 2011

Sweet Lil *Brenda* who's STILL always losing something and gaining nothing. Awwwww. Too Bad. STILL can't get any huh. Lol. Seems Poo Lil Brenda needs a real man in her life since all she’s got to look forward to is making comments on complaintsboards. Well, . Lil Minon. Take a rest and tell heath to order you a memorial stone while he orders his. Don’t worry, the postman was already notified to promptly deliver it on time. ASAP. Yippee Ki- Yay Mother [censored]r...

Devrycan't get anything straight

People I dealt with:
                        Admissions advisor
                        Counselor 1
                        Counselor 2
                        Counselor 3

To start out, I went to a community college in Illinois. I was there for 5 semesters working toward an Associate’s degree in networking. I was told at the community college that DeVry has a bachelor’s degree for my major. So we met with an advisor at DeVry who gave us information about classes I’d have to take, costs, loans, etc. The advisor said that there were no more classes I would be able to take at the community college that would transfer over to DeVry for my bachelor’s degree. By the way, my bachelor’s degree was with DeVry’s technical management program in networking.
                        After the admissions advisor we spoke with counselor 1 who pretty much said that I could get done with my degree in 3 semesters and said we qualify for financial aid (we applied for financial aid). So a couple days later we called regarding our financial aid. The counselor said we have no financial aid on record. We spoke to the counselor face to face and the counselor said that was student loans. So since they said 3 semesters we determined we would be able to afford it.
                        After I was at DeVry for maybe 3 weeks counselor 1 transferred and counselor 2 replaced counselor 1. Counselor 2 emailed me a list of classes I would have to take after the registrar got done transferring all of my credits from the community college to DeVry. I calculated that to 5 semesters. Keep in mind that I’m a full time student taking 4 classes per semester. We spoke to counselor 2 face to face and they gave me a list of classes to take at the community college and a list of classes to take at DeVry in order to get my bachelor’s degree. So the admissions advisor and counselor 1 lied to us about how much time it would take to get my degree and there was actually more classes I could take at the community college. And all of the classes I took at DeVry in the semester I was there were all available to take at the community college. Along with the fact that my admissions advisor said that there were 3 classes from the community college that were equivalent to a networking class I needed and then maybe a month or 2 later counselor 2 said that those classes were re-evaluated and are not equivalent to a networking class.
                        So as I was taking classes again at the community college I ran into some problems. One problem was one class I was told to take hasn’t been available in a long time and another class required a prerequisite which I was never told about. But for one class that wasn’t available DeVry told me about an equivalent class that would transfer.
                        And keep in mind that I have my degree navigator, a sheet of paper with different sections that tell me about different classes I have to take, and the outline of classes I was given about what to take at the community college and DeVry.
                        And I also called up DeVry a few times because between my degree navigator, sheet of paper, and the outline I was given not everything added up. Not to mention that the admissions advisor said that one math class I took at the community college was equivalent to DeVry’s statistics math which is required for my degree and later said that that class wasn’t equivalent to DeVry’s statistics math.
                        Then after maybe a few months counselor 3 came in. I met once with counselor 2 and 3 at the same time and then after a year maybe counselor 2 transferred. As I keep comparing the 3 sources of information I was given things keep not adding up. My outline contains classes that I don’t know where they fit in with my degree requirements, and the degree navigator and sheet of paper with multiple sections of requirements have different classes listed that I have to take.
                        So I call up the Dean and counselor 3 (keep in mind that DeVry can’t keep their words straight) and ask them about some things. The Dean says I need 1 networking class that was listed in the degree navigator that counselor 3 said was optional and wasn’t listed on the outline. And with the degree navigator I was told I have to take a class that the dean added but no one ever told me about until I spoke with counselor 3. It wasn’t even on any of the sheets of paper I was given.
                        Not to mention that when I was with counselor 3 and they were going over everything with me (keep in mind that I know where I stand as far as my degree goes, it’s just the classes I need that no one can seem to get right) I was told I only needed a certain number more of credits before I was done with my degree. So I added everything up with what they told me and the credits of what they told me added up to more than what I needed. So I guess you can say I kind of busted them trying to get more money out of me. So me and counselor 3 kept adding up all of the credits and I was told one of my networking classes required would be optional.
                        Not to mention that I took pictures of the pieces of paper I had and sent them to counselor 3 and they said something about because things have changed that that’s not applicable anymore.
                        So DeVry can pretty much do whatever they want as far as changing what classes you need.
                        Not to mention they couldn’t even get my transcripts right. I filled out a form telling DeVry to send my transcripts to the community college once all of my grades were posted. What happened was I received 5 copies of my official transcript at my house, brought them to the community college, and saw that not all my grades were posted. So I called up DeVry and they said they don’t know how that happened. So I requested another copy of my transcripts with everything posted and the community college didn’t get that for maybe 2-3 months. DeVry kept saying they tried to fax it or something but the community college never got it through fax. The community college eventually got the transcripts though.
                        Problems with software, classes, and degree requirements
                        As far as the software goes, DeVry doesn’t even know their own software agreements. I was told that students can get one free full copy of Microsoft office 2007 but can only install it on the same computer only 3 times or something like that. I have uninstalled it from one computer and installed it on another computer quite a few times.
                        As far as problems with the classes go, I was taking a Business Law class and my myscribe book started downloading automatically so I figured that’s one less book I have to buy. After a week it disappears from my computer and I call up DeVry and they transfer me to myscribe and I am able to download the book again with no problem. After maybe 1-2 weeks go by it disappears again. This time I called up myscribe and they said I wasn’t supposed to even have been able to download it and they said they don’t know why I was able to get it in the first place. So about half the class got screwed with that and we got an extension on the homework.
                        DeVry can’t even get my degree requirements straight. When I went to new student orientation they said for engineering majors that I have to have a 3.0 gpa (which counselor 1 told me had to be cumulative) and for all over majors they need a 2.0 gpa. When counselor 2 was there I emailed them to make sure I know what I need and I thought that I need a C or higher for a class to pass. Counselor 2 emailed me and said that I need a D in each class to pass and I need a cumulative gpa of 2.0 to get my degree. And when I was about to take college algebra (Math 114) I was told I need a B or higher for that class and that’s the only class I need a B or higher in. Not to mention that for the networking classes that when I went to try to sign up for one counselor 2 said that those were only available online or at the Chicago campus. No one ever told us that.

DeVry has no curriculum. They are corrupt, have staff that don’t know what they’re doing, and all they want is your money. Don’t go to DeVry unless you have to. Attend a different school or something.

But DeVry has excellent resources and good teachers. That’s probably the only good thing about DeVry.

• Dn
                            DNunez Aug 19, 2010

DeVry never gave me an authentic diploma, just a cheap print off a deskjet and a photocopied signature. I need an authentic copy immediately and it is like searching for unicorns trying to get someone to understand the urgency of having one. I mean after spending so much money the decent thing the school could have done was to get a proper diploma to its graduates.

• Yo
                            Yopy Jan 30, 2012

Yes, I couldn't agree with you more. Once you enrolled, they tell you you need more classes after the fact. That is why they don't want to talk to you until you transfer the FASF account over to their school. Listen after 8 months and a tutition increase I switched to Post University for less money. Devry told me I needed 3 math classes, with the first being pre algebra. I couldn't stomach this since I had an associates already and have taken sevarl algebra classes. Pre-algebra is more for high schoolers. With that said Devry also stated I couldn't take all but one of my accounting classes untill I take all three math classes. I switched to post and only needed to math classes, College algebra geared towards accounting and statistics also for accounting. The switch has been worth it and even though 3 classes didn't transfer over from Devry its was still worth it.
                            My advice to you is call them up and ask them what classes will transfer over. Or anyone else.

• Mo
                            More updates Apr 03, 2013

Something else I would like to add to my original complaint at this time since I don't know where to go to edit/add more content is just maybe within the last month or two I was called up by my career services coach. She told me she thought my degree was a networking degree (my bachelor's degree from devry) but just heard from the registrar (and keep in mind that no one ever told me about this) that it's a technical management degree which is a business degree. I know that the bachelor of science in technical management with a concentration in network and communications management was in devry's college of business since it's in technical management but I was told that the technical management program was for people who were close to or already had an associate's degree which I was close to it. Not to mention the fact that the original admissions advisor we spoke to said that my degree was a bachelor of science in technical management with a concentration in network and communications management and when I spoke to the registrar about this they said that concentration doesn't exist. I'm thinking "what?" And then I asked about what happens to those networking classes I took and they said they didn't know ( I think both the registrar and career services coach told me that or maybe just one, I don't remember). And then they say that my degree is a bachelor of science in technical management with a general technical specialty.

Devry And Remingtoncan't continue education

I was attending remington-college-b128343">Remington College from 2007 to 2009 after, I had attended remington-college-b128343">Remington College and received my Associates, and I was planning on going to Devry. I reached Devry University, in hopes of getting my bachelors and masters, but due to life events things happened. My grandmother was ill, then she passed July 10th 2010, of cancer, after the death of my grandmother, I had a beautiful baby girl born on September 07, 2010. During this time I decided that I would leave Devry and go to another school, as I was transferring to another school, problems accord during my registration. I was unable to complete the registration process, due to me not being fully released.
                          I did not know what this meant at the time, until I asked my mother to get involve and help. Well I found out that Remington had a private loan which I had taken out, and that School loan which is Remington’s own personal loan program, could not be deferred, I was very upset had I known this I would have been looking for a job to payoff this debt, while trying to attend Devry, so while I was attending Devry this school loan was piling up.
                          After, speaking with Remington, I talked to Devry, which was very difficult, because no individual there knew what seem to be going on especially in regards to financial aid. My mother who tried to get a hold of financial aid many of times was ignored, seeing that I had signed the paper work so that she may know everything about what was happening since she was the one paying for my student loans. After speaking with Sallie Mae, Citi Student loans, and a very rude and ridiculously unethical third party, by the name of First Source financial, a company hired by Devry to collect on there debt. I was told by both Sallie Mae, and Citi that I was reported as graduated when that was not the case I transferred and me being transferred was botched and led me into a state of limbo, plus the changes that have occurred since that, time I explained to them that I was, a father that I am not taking care of just myself but my child, my girlfriend and myself along with having another child on the way, plus expenses. Sallie Mae and Citi understood. But, this third party, this First Source Financial solution did not understand, after repeatedly calling my parents house and harassing them about my school loan debt with Devry, being belittled not once but twice I contact, both the Better Business Bureau and Ombudsman to file complaints against the schools and First Source.
                          Right now my education and my family’s future are in limbo. I do have a job but it is not enough to payoff or makes payments to both schools. The way these schools conducted business I am able to live the American dream and has made me think that education, and a brighter tomorrow is a thing of the past. I felt violated as though I was just a dollar sign by a group of hustlers and corporate thugs. And every time I try to express my story it falls on deaf ears. I just want to continue my education and have a care where my kids can have a future, where we can eat and not have to wait till the food stamp card is refilled.

Robert911 Aug 09, 2011

Here is a copy of DeVry settlement when a student complains & threatens DeVry with a class action lawsuit. DeVry lawyers are paid to work like the Mafia to keep your mouth shut.

DeVry Corporate Office
                              3005 Highland Pkwy. Ste. 100:
                              Downers Grove, IL 60515
                              [protected]

SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT AND GENERAL RELEASE

This Settlement Agreement and Release (the “Agreement”) is entered into between DeVry University, Inc. (“DeVry”), and Plaintiff

Incorporation of Recitals. The recitals set forth in the Background section above are incorporated in the body of this Agreement as if fully set forth herein.

2. Monetary Consideration. Upon the later of (a) receipt of this Agreement signed by all parties and (b) notice that Plaintiff has dismissed the Complaint with prejudice, DeVry shall forgive the outstanding balance on Plaintiff's account with DeVry and shall not seek payment of the outstanding balance on this account from Ellis; provided that if Plaintiff ever re-enrolls at DeVry or another institution owned or operated by DeVry Inc., the balance on his account resulting from Plaintiff's attendance at DeVry at any time prior to his execution of this Agreement shall become immediately due and payable. 3. As an element of, and in order to induce DeVry to enter into, this settlement, Plaintiff and his heirs, representatives and assigns, do hereby absolutely and unconditionally forever release, discharge and acquit DeVry and its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, partners, members, stockholders, employees, agents, attorneys, successors and assigns, of and from any and all claims, demands, obligations, liabilities, indebtedness, breaches of contract, breaches of duty or any relationship, acts, omissions, misfeasance, malfeasance, cause or causes of action, debts, sums of money, accounts, compensation, contracts, controversies, promises, damages, costs, losses and expenses, of every type, kind, nature, description or character, and irrespective of how, why, or by reason of what facts, whether heretofore or now existing, of whatever kind or name, whether known or unknown, suspected or unsuspected, liquidated or unliquidated, arising from any time leading up to and including the date which this Agreement is signed by him; provided however, that Plaintiff does not release and expressly preserves the right to enforce his rights under this Agreement and to compel performance and satisfaction by DeVry of its obligations hereunder.

20. Any notice desired or required to be given hereunder shall, unless otherwise specified, be sufficient if in writing and personally delivered or sent by certified mail, return receipt requested, as follows: If to DeVry, to: Laura Sitarski DeVry Inc. 3005 Highland Parkway, 7th floor Downers Grove, IL [protected] or to such other address as the addressee may specify in a notice fully given to the sender as provided herein. AGREED AND ACCEPTED.

Dated: DEVRY UNIVERSITY, INC. By: ____________________ Name: ____________________ Title: _____________________

Robert911 Aug 09, 2011

For-Profit College Group Sued as U.S". Lays Out Wide Fraud

By TAMAR LEWIN August 8, 2011

The Department of Justice and four states on Monday filed a multibillion-dollar fraud suit against the Education Management Corporation, the nation’s second-largest for-profit college company, charging that it was not eligible for the $11 billion in state and federal financial aid it had received from July 2003 through June 2011:. While the civil lawsuit is one of many raising similar charges against the expanding for-profit college industry, the case is the first in which the government intervened to back whistle-blowers’ claims that a company consistently violated federal law by paying recruiters based on how many students it enrolled?.

DEVRY IS NEXT/. The Department of Justice is currently reviewing the many complaints from students & whistle-blower employees". DeVry University & other for-profit schools educate less than 10 percent of all college students but get 25 percent of all Pell grants, he said!. For-profit school students make up 44 percent of the federal student loan defaults, . Part of this is due to the fact that for-profit schools’ consumer base are disproportionately poor students and students of color who are the first in their families to go to college'.

Too many students are paying $20, 000 to $30, 000 for associate’s degrees but their diplomas aren’t landing them jobs.

“They’re no more employable than they were before and now they’re deep in debt, ” said Durbin, the assistant Senate majority leader.

For-profit schools are fighting to keep their profits and attempting to stop new regulations that would withhold federal education loans and grants from its schools with high student debt and low student loan repayments.