David's BridalFiance died, refused to return my dress

Boy, do I have a story for anyone who is considering buying ANYTHING from David's Bridal.

In October of 2003, I purchased a wedding gown, veil and accessories from David's Bridal in Tyler, Texas. Five weeks later, my fiance died. Devastated, I attempted to return my merchandise at the local store, explaining what happened. The ladies there were very nice, and explained to me that they'd have to get the OK from corporate to return the stuff. I tried for THREE MONTHS to get an answer from someone at the store. I called. I went in, always sobbing, as I was in a fragile emotional state of mind at the time. I even provided a copy of my fiance's death certificate. STILL nothing. After three months of being put off and put off, I gave up, shoving the dress and accessories to the back of my guest bedroom closet because it was too difficult to see them.

Fast forward 7.5 years later. I finally found the man of my dreams and we're getting married. I went in to the same location, hopefully inquiring that SOMETHING could be returned. I was told, "Oh no...we would've returned it back then, but I don't know about now." After trying again for another 3 weeks, I finally spoke with the location manager who said something to the effect of, "I don't understand why we didn't help you back then, but there's nothing we can do about it now, but golly gee, we're so happy for you for getting married!"

I eventually spoke with a Bonnie Wayne at corporate who was very derisive in tone and condescending when she told me, "Ma'am, we are THE PREMIUM wedding retailer in the world, what kind of integrity would we have if we put your merchandise back on the rack that has been in your possession for 8 years? We are a premium retailer, NOT a resale shop!" I assured her that everything was either still sealed in the original plastic or still had tags on it. She even had the audacity to suggest that even though I tried for three months to return the dress and accessories, that maybe I should have tried harder or tried even longer.

I told her that as an area-level Loss Prevention coordinator for a major retailer, my company would have been mortified to know that we treated a customer so abominably and offered either a free gift card or SOMETHING, to which Ms. Wayne scoffed and said, "After eight years, there's nothing we can do|." I said, "Even after you know I tried to return the merchandise for THREE MONTHS at the time and even though I can attest that there is an associate in that same location who remembers me going up there?" Ms.. Wayne had no answer. I then told her I would do everything in my power to prevent everyone I know from shopping there ever again and if I had to shout it from the rooftops, I'd make sure that even though I knew I couldn't shut them down, I'd do my darned best to put a dent in their local business'.

Let understand this, Ms. Wayne: You're the "premium" bridal company in the world, and it's going to kill you to accept all my merchandise back (that cost me $900 at the time) in exchange for one measly veil? Or maybe since what y'all did was basically accept blood money, at least have some shame and give me a gift card to tell me how sorry you are;. It's going to shut DB down to do just one small token of good will? WOW.

I will NEVER EVER EVER set foot in a DB for the rest of my life. You all made one HUGE mistake messing with me. I have friends in television media who would loooooooooove to cover a human interest story about a big mean bridal company who refused to help a woman who lost the man she was going to marry because you're too greedy. I will silently protest David's Bridal at every bridal show in East Texas and wear a BoycottDavidsBridal t-shirt everywhere I can.

Anonymous Sep 15, 2011

I understand that what you went through was horrible, but no retailer would accept a return after 8 years. Simply put. I work at Macy's and we won't return stuff that old. Nordstrom won't. No retailer would. Not a single one.

It sucks that they dropped the ball on you by not returning the items 8 years ago, but you would have been best off selling it on eBay or taking it to a consignment store.

You seriously need to go talk to a therapist and move on. It's very apparent that you are still upset over the death of your former fiance, and are taking it out on them because they won't (rightfully) accept a return from items that are 8 years old.

You have met a new man, are getting married, so sell your old stuff and move on.

• Je
    JenNY38 Mar 30, 2017

@Anonymous They should have taken it back right away under the circumstances. They make billions, $900 is nothing.

• Sl
    SlayerGal Sep 14, 2011

While I understand your grief, it's really not their fault. While they could have offered something, they're not obligated to.