Dairy Queenunethical behavior - romney wv, dq - 450 west main st.

S Nov 07, 2019 Review updated:

It's recently come to my attention by way of social media that a disabled Vet was asked to leave the Romney DQ because he had his "service dog" with him, who was wearing a "service vest" at the time. According to the post made, this happened on Monday 11/4/2019 at approximately 11:00 am. The Veteran pointed out to the employee (who was suspected to possibly be the owner/manager), Federal Law allows him to have his service animal with him. It was at this time the Vet was told "that was not the policy of his restaurant" and he was forced to leave.

Romney isn't just home to many U.S. Veterans, my husband being one himself, but it's also home of the W.V. Deaf & Blind School. There are many disabled people in our community, including my own son, who also has a service dog due to a duel diagnosis of (non-verbal) Down Syndrome & Autism. As a member of the Romney community I'm absolutely appalled by the shameful and ignorant behavior of this employee, especially if it's the owner/manager. Someone in a position of authority should know better than to treat a customer in such a way. If this is how our U.S. Veterans are treated, I can only imagine how one of the disabled civilians would be treated if they were to enter with a service animal.

I'm not sure how this can be made right, but I will tell you by reading both the comments on the original post and on the Romney DQ FB page, this has reached across many states and people are infuriated that someone who put their life on the line for our country would be treated in such a way. I do hope this will raise awareness and be remedied as in our small community this message is spreading fast not just thru social media but also by word-of-mouth.

Thank you for your time. I realize Romney DQ does not represent all Dairy Queens. We love family time at Dairy Queen but until this has been addressed I'm sad to say we won't be taking our son to Romney DQ for his ice-cream.

• K
      Nov 07, 2019

this incident isn't from Nov 4, 2019, it's from 2015, and I am sure has already been dealt with. Let's not bury this Dairy Queen for something that happened 4 years ago.