Costco WholesaleVerbal attack about having a service animal

B Feb 05, 2018

February 4, 2018 As I entered the Costco on 300 W. 1818 S. in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah the employee at the front entrance, who makes sure that everyone is a member stopped me and wanted confirmation that my dog was an actual service dog. Even though my dog is in training and was wearing a vest that says service dog in training he would not let me enter the facility until I answered his question. When I explained to him that in the state of Utah you cannot ask that question he began to argue with me that he could legally ask the question. Because he would not stop I asked for a manager. While I waited for the manager the employee continued his verbal assault. I told him to stop and that we had nothing more to say to each other. He continued. Once the manager arrived again the employee continued to argue. Instead of myself and the manger being able to have a conversation the employee aggressively would not stop arguing. The manager did nothing to diffuse the situation and tell the employee to stop talking and go back to his job. I ended up having to just leave because I was unable to even speak. My husband returned to get the name of the employee and he refused to give his name and said that I was not harassed. This is the second time that I have been stopped at this Costco. The first incident was resolved this one was not.

• Fi
    Firewife77 Feb 07, 2018

I'm sorry you felt harassed; however, I have no problem with you being asked about your dog. Unfortunately because pet owners now can claim their pet is a service or comfort animal without proof, it is hurting the legitimate service animals. My friend who trains service animals is also outraged over dogs being taken everywhere and misuse of claims of being a service animal. I was at a Costco in California the other day and a dog was clearly not a service dog by the actions of the owner. Children were allowed to pet the dog and the owner tied it up in the meat section while he was shopping. I asked my friend about that and she said absolutely the dog should never be petted by strangers. So I think all owners should have some type of proof. Again, it's so easy to go online and buy a vest or paperwork. I really don't know what the answer is except my asthma and allergy to dogs & cats isn't taken into consideration.