Costco / Kirklandharmfull food product

B Review updated:

After seeing over 50 recent complaints about costco here at CB, I see that I am not the only long term, soon-to-be-ex-Customer who costco tramples on. I have been an executive member since 1996. Years ago, costco actually CARED about the Customers who keep them open. That is obviously over for good! The warehouse in Jacksonville, FL has management who are astounding rude.

This year, I bought several bags of the kirkland fruit and nut mix, which has increased in price over 30% in the past 2 years. I would eat this once in awhile. Oddly, on some days this year, I would be stricken with stomach cramps and severe diarrhea, and have to hit the bathroom 10-12 times per day. I could not figure out why I was getting an intermittent diarrhea problem all year. So I started keeping a "food diary."

One day after eating this trail mix, I had the severe runs and cramps again. I looked at my diary and saw that I had eaten the trail mix the night before. I waited a week, and ate it again. You guessed it! I had severe cramps and diarrhea all the next day with over 11 trips to the bathroom. I looked at the ingredients and saw that costco puts sulfur dioxide in their dry fruits as a preservative. Here is what the noted Cleveland Clinic says about that:

>>>"Many dried fruits, unless they are organic, are preserved with sulfites or sulfur dioxide, a gas that prevents discoloration and growth of mold and other microorganisms. Yet sulfur dioxide may cause diarrhea and respiratory symptoms, such as wheezing, difficulty breathing and asthma, in sulfite sensitive people, according to the Cleveland Clinic."<<< Read more: http://www.livestrong[dot]com/article/331212-what-fruits-cause-diarrhea/#ixzz1Qt5XUwSE

So today, I returned the open bags I had to the jerks at costco. I told them of the severe cramps and diarrhea problem the kirkland mix had caused me on over 8 occasions this year. They then refused to refund a bag of the "DIARRHEA mix" because it expired 6 weeks ago. I explained I only come to the store every few months, as I live over 50 miles away, one -way. I explained that the bag was NOT expired the last time I had been to costco. I also said because of other negative experiences with the so-called Customer service desk at the Jacksonville store, I only spend a fourth of what I used to spend at costco now.

Only when I demanded to see a manager, did I get my $12.00 back for the Kirkland "DIARRHEA Mix." I had to ask for an apology. This embarrassing ordeal lasted for 15 minutes. I should have just contacted a personal injury lawyer for having over 8 episodes of severe cramps and diarrhea this year.

Bottom line, I am DONE with costco! Their prices save very you very little. I spend over $100 + $150 in gas just to drive there and back 6 times a year = total annual cost of $250.00. I can get better deals on food at Publix or winn dixie. Other stuff, I get get online. Between their high prices and obvious COMPANY-WIDE SHI**Y "SERVICE, " they have pissed me off for the last time!

costco - C-Y-A!!!

BTW - costco trolls who obviously post responses here - go eat some kirkland DIARRHEA mix, will ya?

harmfull food product

• Cu
    Curr Nov 14, 2015

You tried to return something expired. Sure, it made you sick. But you mostly sound like an ### hole. "I had to ask for an apology"? You don't deserve one. I found this because a trail mix there was making me sick. But I'd never be so low as to act like you.

• Ge
    Genavie Blumenthal Apr 26, 2016

I just bought this trail mix Saturday and my stomach is messed up! I have missed work because of this! The trail mix sucks!

• Dn
    D Nikirk Nov 12, 2017

I too have had a bad experience from the Kirkland Trail mix. Cramps, puking and an overall feel of malaise. Missed a day in my life because of this product.

• Bo
    Boca Bruce Dec 14, 2017

Last night, after eating some Kirkland trail mix, which was fresh and newly opened, I experienced one of the worst nights of my life! I had severe stomach cramps and nausea, for over 4 hours. I vomited so severly that I lost my voice! Finally, I was able to bring up some nuts from the mix, which was the cause of my distress. The discomfort from this food product was about the same level as a kidney stone attack ( of which I’ve had a few). Was it listeria or another infection, or bad nuts? Never agan!!!

• Dp
    DP15 Jan 19, 2020

Just bought this kirkland trail mix at costco bellingham, wa and yesterday same thing, bad stomach cramps and runs, thought it was something else so I eat more today and my stomach hurts so bad I can't stand it.