Winco / dogs in store that are not service dogs

1 1500 SW OakHillsboro, OR, United States Review updated:

I have gone to management now three out of the four times someone has had a dog in the store. This last time it happened I talked to Jason on Dec 27th 2010 and he said the store manager says to let it go as when they confront people about the dogs they get all irate and start yelling and the management wants to avoid that. The incident before they ask the man about his dog and he admitted it was only a comfort dog and even then they said no more. Doesn't matter that its a law. He (Jason) told me the store manager says not to even ask if its a service dog' " Just let it go" were his exact words. I have shopped in Winco for years and have spent a lot of money ( more than the average family) and sad to say I won't be shopping here anymore.

Comments

• Lh
      4th of Jun, 2012

Dear Shopper,

It is my understanding that once an employee asks a customer, if their dog is a service animal, and the customer says "YES." The employee has to be satisfied with that information. They are not allowed to ask a customer to prove anything regarding a "service dog".
    The only thing I know for sure, is that dogs are not suppose to sit on or inside Winco shopping carts. This is the only time management an step in and intervene. But Management have to sometimes pick their battles. The thing is that everyone has rules to follow. And there is a fine line between people rights and what is policy or law. There are always going to be those who'll try to bend the rules or do it their way. I don't think you should let this determine where you shop.

• Ia
      12th of Jul, 2017

@L. Hailey that's true in 48 states. there are 2 that allow businesses to demand the service animal's papers, though for the life of me i can't remember which 2.
    i believe, but i could be wrong, that one of the two was either virginia or west virginia