Whirlpool / fire hazrad on refrigerator

1 MI, United States

Whirlpool refrigerator "Relay" caused fire: Hundreds of reports (see http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/whirlpool_refrigerators.html) have brought this issue and why we have to tolerate this for so long?

Refrigerator caught fire. Smoke alarm set off. Had I not been home damage would have probably been out of control. I traced smoke to bottom of refrigerator and pulled unit out from wall and pulled cord, cutting power off to unit. Whirlpool called and they said unit out of warranty. Repair people stated the control to activate compressor burned and this was not the first one they had seen. They replaced unit with a older style and billed me. Whirlpool has recalled it's other brands for this problem but refused to do anything about it's Whirlpool brand. Same problem. I have retained failed part. Photo and copy of invoice sent to WhirlpooI and nothing heard back from them. I should be reimbursed for this failure and food loss and cleanup required. I think it's about time Whirlpool stepped up and recalled these units and repaired all of them.