Wells Fargo / froze my bank account

United States Review updated:

Wells Fargo Bank froze my bank account today because they wanted my husband to verify his social security card at the Social security Administration. They didn’t even have enough respect for us to phone us and tell us they were having a problem verifying his number. Which we found very disturbing because we added him to my bank account a over a year ago and with his social and there was no problem. Then we opened a saving account together a year later and no problem. My husband wanted to build his credit and decided to get a secured credit card last week which he was approved for. if you know anything about secured credit cards we have to give them our money to open a credit on the credit card and then pay them interested on our own money to use. Anyways he was approved card was mailed out and then today we went to buy a car and found that our bank account was frozen. When I called the bank 1800 number they were unfriendly and rude and told me in a few words that pretty much my husband and I could have a fake ss card and committed fraud. I explained we just showed his ss card and his id(i.e. passport) to get his secured card just last week. Wells Fargo said it doesn’t matter we had to see the SS office. So we don’t have a single penny to our names because all of our saving and checking is frozen. So we don’t have a car and we have to take a taxi down to the office but we don’t have any money. Finally we found a way to get some money and by that time the social office was closed. Also the taxi will end up being 70 both ways to get the form they need to verify the ssn. Also the social office will need to just see his id to verify the name, which the bank could have just done but refused when we went to the BRANCH!!! It gets better not only did they freeze all our accounts, but they cancelled both our debit cards, so we will need new ones once they unfreeze the accounts. So Wells Fargo will send us new cards then and we will just have to wait but not under the loss prevention department at Wells Fargo gets the paperwork from the social office, and releases our funds. My account has things that are bouncing i.e. school payments and the bank already said they wont refund the fees and such. So my question is this...if this was done to protect my Husband and I and it turns out my Husband is who he says he is, then why are we responsible for the fees incurred because the bank thinks he’s not, and why do you have to pay for a taxi to the ss office to prove you are who you say you are. This all could have been avoided if Wells Fargo would have made a courtesy call to me so we could have handled the situation before it ruined our day and will continue to ruin everything until it is resolved. I would like to add that I don’t see why not being able to verify my husbands ssn would be reason enough to freeze an account of less than 2000.00 its not like they had loaned us that money we gave them the money. Then they took it from us like we had done something wrong with our own money. They froze our bank account our hard earned money because they couldn’t verify my husband ssn, and treated like criminals and guilty until proven innocent. It truly has ruined my faith in whatever the Banks had left to offer. When this is all resolved I'm going to pull all my money out of this HELL of a bank and keep it under the mattress guess its safer there!!! JK but I will bank with someone who cares about us as people not just money.

Comments

• Mi
      23rd of Nov, 2010

They did the exact same thing to me. My accounts were frozen and they wanted me to go down to social security to verify the number is mine. I said how in the hell are they going to know who I am down there any more than you do. This must be their new scam or game leaving people broke to fend for themselves, real nice !!

• He
      22nd of Apr, 2011

Wells Fargo froze all of my accounts because I deposited a check for a large amount, and they called the school (it's a financial aid check) to verify the amount. They claim they were told by a receptionist at the school that it was a fraud check. Turns out the school records all the conversations´╗┐ and that never happened. The school verified the check and the money was taken out of the account and cleared. The school cannot issue me a new check, because the money has already cleared. Wells Fargo is illegally holding my assets in a freeze to collect interest. I think. I can't even get that much information on them. I'm filing a lawsuit because today I got in a car accident in a rental car and I have to pay for it out of pocket because I was not able to purchase insurance due to my accounts being frozen.

• Lo
      3rd of Jun, 2016
    Wells Fargo - Bank account
    Wells Fargo
    wellsfargo.com

I had recently lost my job, because of this I ended up having the use Wells Fargo's Direct Deposit Advance to cover some bills. I honestly was ashamed of this. My paycheck from my new position was deposited on Friday and they took the whole thing to cover the advance! I advanced $400.00, my paycheck was $700.00. How does that work!?

Then, because they took my whole check and drew my account negative to cover it I've been getting harassing calls from them concerning my -34.00 account. This morning, at work I told the lady it would be paid in full and then closed as of January 2nd, 2009 and to please note that on my account and stop calling me. She told me that she needed to call me weekly to make sure I followed through. It's christmas time, I have gifts I need to by with that money.

I also have a Wells Fargo Secured Credit Card with a small limit that was linked as overdraft protection. When They overdrafted my account, they pulled money from my already almost maxed credit card and put it over limit and then charged me fees because they put it over limit. So Now, I owe them 34.00 dollars for a Checking account, and 36 dollars for my credit card.

On top of that I had a savings account with them that was closed in November of 2007 when I moved out of the Wells Fargo Area. I just recently recieved a letter (November 2008) from Wells fargo bank concerning this closed account. Confused because the letter didn't say much I called the 1-800 phone number and talked to a repsentative. She then told me that this account was "charged Off" with a balance of -107.00 and that I needed to pay!

I informed her that I had closed that account with a zero balance in November of 2007 and if the account did have a balance on it, with it didn't, why was I hearing about this now. She told me that I needed to provide proof that the account was closed. I told her that I shouldn't have to provide proof and I didn't understand where this random letter was coming from.

Then just today, I got a letter in the mail from Wells Fargo, along with my Statement saying they are financial sound.

Yeah, right.

• Da
      3rd of Jun, 2016

We are casting a documentary about unfair bank policies. Looking for stories with complaints about banks. If you are cast we will pay you. If interested contact [protected]@sbcglobal.net for more information. Casting needs to be concluded by May 1st, 2009.