Walmart / wrongful termination
Doug Jones started working for Sam's Club, part of the Wal-Mart Corporation, on January 15, 1990. At this time, Sam's Club had just opened its first store a mere seven years before Doug's start date. Doug enjoyed working at the fast growing store, so much so that he continued to work for them for 21 years. Doug worked happily and diligently with no problems from management, until November 15, 2011, one month before the Vietnam veteran was eligible for retirement.
On this day in November 2011, Doug was just about to clock out of his position as a full-time electronics associate, when a long time, regular customer came in. Fully aware of Walmart Corporation’s stringent rules on overtime, Doug called for backup to replace him several times, but received none. Doug acted reasonably and in alignment with the Company procedures and business interests, and continued to provide a "customer-first" approach by helping the customer for 9.5 minutes. Little did he know at the time that these 9.5 minutes- on top of a 21 year loyalty at the company- would be his last.
Doug Jones is a war veteran, father, grandfather, a faithful employee, and an active member of his Neighborhood Association. For working 9.5 minutes overtime assisting a customer, he was wrongfully terminated and still to this day, four years later, has not received his severance benefits from Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart is a $145 BILLION industry, and yet still has not been able to part with the severance benefits that Doug rightfully deserves. The 9.5 minutes of overtime would amount to $4.18 additional to Doug's paycheck...surely this is not why they terminated him and refuse to speak with him on the phone?
It makes you wonder: if this was done to Doug, how many other long-term employees have been heartlessly dismissed just before their retirement?
Please share this story and let the world know how Sam’s Club treats its devoted employees.
If anyone has any advice or legal consult to provide to help Doug’s case, please call [protected].
More Walmart Complaints & Reviews
- Walmart / Money Card - money card from nightmare. 
- Walmart / 1000 Dollar Gift Card - gift card 
- Walmart - walmart site to store misleading on actual delivery time 
- Walmart Extended Warranty Center - failure to fulfill obligation of agreement 
- Walmart / Picture Me Portrait Studio - poor customer service! 
- Walmart Stores - Maple nut goodies candy 
- Walmart Stores - better homes & gardens solar bird bath
- Walmart Stores - walmart.com customer service
- Walmart Stores - black and decker drill driver bdcde120c 
- Walmart Stores - product caused me to break up with girlfriend.