Walmart Money Card / will not activate card, make me wait 7-10 days for a refund

walmart money card
I bought a Walmart Money Card from walmart in Foothill Ranch CA. This is a pre-paid credit card. I paid 6 dollars for the activation fee and loaded 200 dollars onto the pre-paid card. I needed this pre-paid card to pay a bill online. When I attempted to activate the card online, I was given an 800 number to call, to complete the activation. Of course the office for the 800 number was closed so I waited untill the next day and gave them a call. They informed me that they cannot activate my card because I have "negative activity" on another pre-paid card. This was news to me because I don't have any other pre-paid credit cards. They could not provide me with any information regarding this "negative activity" not the company name or the card name, nothing. So They must process a refund for me. I say ok, I'll just go back to walmart and get a refund, but they said I could not do that. The only thing they said they can do is send me a check for the refund which of course will take 7-10 business days. Or I could get it expedited to me, but of course I would have to pay 20 dollars for this. I find this whole situation ridiculous. I have no other pre-paid accounts so it is impossible for me to have negative activity on one. So because of their computer mistake and their unwillingness to rectify it, I am out 200 dollars untill they decide to mail it to me. I cant afford to lose 200 dollars for a day, let alone 7-10 days. I wrote this complaint so that people will see it and stay away from the WALMART MONEYCARD. thank you.

A  12th of Jul, 2009 by
I had the same problem with Wal-mart money card as well. I put $70.00 0 on the card to pay a bill and went home to activate the card. The rude and self-righteous customer service rep (name Dianne- Badge # 0558) told me that I had two Wal-mart Money Cards already that had amounts that I owed monthly fees on. I told her that the first card I reported lost, I therefore, I requested that it be closed way back then and the second one I closed due to unauthorized purchase from a merchant ( I know I called about this one as well because I got a recording on my phone from Wa-lmart about the complaint that I also added as my reason for why I was closing it). She told me that they did not close is but kept it open (despite my request to close both). She stated that before they could activate the new card I purchase and have money the money on it, I would have to pay the fees on both old cards that they kept open totaling around $19.00 in monthly fees. She would not let me speak to a supervisor and cut off my conversation with her by putting me on hold- a long hold at that.

I wanted to dispute this with her further, but they were holding my money on the new card as ransom until I paid the monthly fees on the two other cards that I had closed out and not used in months.

I asked her would I be getting a confirmation that the accounts were closed and she stated no. So this leaves the door open for it to happen to me again

This really irritates me that they could possibly get away with this !!!

N  30th of Aug, 2009 by
### man.
I purchased one of the cards and now I'm waiting and waiting for the money to hit. This is $110 on this card. I have bills to pay and I do NOT want to be held ransom like these other posts. I'm BRAND NEW to this. So why stick it to me? How money hungry can one company be? If I had the info to file those complaints, i would. If you read this and have that information on how to, please give it to me? I'm sick of this.
A  11th of Sep, 2009 by
I had samething happen to me for $745.00, so I could lose my car, and have no groceries until the get the money to me
A  12th of Sep, 2009 by
As for filling a complaint regarding WalMart's money card, I filed with the better business bureau (BBB). I was refunded the fees that were applied to the cards I closed.

The company that the BBB addressed this complaint to was:
GE Money Bank
PO Box 29102
Shawnee Mission, KS 66201

Walmart complaints go to GE Money Bank. The matter was resolved within a 2 week period.

You can file the complaint online by going to BBB.org. The website will give directions on what to do.

Hope this helps
N  26th of Nov, 2009 by
Go to getmygreen.com and call their 1-888 number. They can fix your issue. I lost my reciept with the activation number and spent 45 minutes on the phone trying to talk to someone at walmartmoneycard.com and got nowhere. I called the number at getmygreen.com and had my card activated in 5 minutes!!! Walmart cards SUCK, but if you have this issue, this is how you can fix it.
A  1st of Dec, 2011 by
I have also had a terrible experience with the Walmart Money Card. And I will never ever do business with this company EVER in my entire life. Their customer service agaents are incompetent of doing thier job right. And they treated me like a theif although I was only trying to obtain a refund on a purchase I got online. I was excited intiallly when I got this Walmart Money Card, but for 3 weks I been currently trying to get my money back from Walmart Money Card, but they are making me send numerous fax of the invoices of my online purchases, so that they can remove a security block from my Walmart Money Card. And after sending 3 differnt set of fax of this information the requested they still haven't help my get MY OWN MONEY BACK. This is not a company that I would recommend to anyone. Any by the way...I still trying to get my money back curently..
D  19th of Jun, 2012 by
Walmart money card 1-877-937-4098 I called and tried to activate this card, negligence on your staffs behalf, by inputing the wrong information, caused the card to "lockout "as inactive. there4 prohibiting me or the representive to further activate the card now!!! Now I have to wait 7 business day for "them " to make interest off the 100.00 I paid them, they refused to activate the card because they could not find my address. Reps names: leanne, alane, Alfred, and Justin; all was patronizing me!! And refused to give me my 100.00 activated on the temporary debit card. My number is 832-713-0081 my name: Shaun rice, its not far the companies my interest in there bank off me on a 14 day turn around, 7 days to send refund, 7 day to clear my bank. And I loose time, an money in the delay process for "Walmart Money cards" gain . I am left in disparage as to the service I received from this company.
N  22nd of Jul, 2012 by
N  7th of Sep, 2015 by
I have similar situation as many of these complaints. I put $170 on a card and they could not activate my card and after soany run around I told them just to send the refund check. Anyone who was sent a refund check how long did it actually take?

Walmart Stores Logo Walmart Stores