Wal-mart/rca / won't refund/exchange

1 Albemarle, NC, United States

I bought an rca dvd home theater system model # rtd325w (On the box) within 22 hours of purchase I try to return/exchange the merchandise as it won't work. I carry the receipt (Which also showed that I purchased a one year extended warranty) to the customer service desk. After waiting an hour an assistant manager (Chris sanders) shows up and tells me that because the serial number on the box and the serial number on the equipment don't match he won't do anything for me. How was I to know that the serial numbers weren't going to match in a sealed box? I didn't even think to check when I got home, however he told me that even if I had tried to return it that same day he wouldn't have done anything for me because the box was open. How was I to check that the serial numbers matched if I couldn't open the box? I couldn't get in touch with the store manager or the district manager as of course today is sunday. Now what do I do about getting my monies back or getting the product exchanged? I've worked several dozen years in retail and never treated the customer like I was treated... And still no satisfaction. Was going to purchase over $150.00 worth of other merchandise I needed but I took my money and went to k-mart instead.