Wal - Mart Pharmacy / incorrect prescription filled

1 Lithonia, GA, United States Review updated:

Saturday, September 25, 2010, I had a prescription (Glipizide ER XL 5mg TAB) filled at your pharmacy. However, I discovered that the Glipizide that I was given on Saturday was not the medicine I had been taking. Upon my discovery, I returned to the pharmacy with what I thought was the wrong medicine. At this time, I was told that the Glipizide that I was given on Saturday was the correct medicine. However, the Glipizide that I had been taking for 5 months was not the Glipizide that I was given on Saturday, September 25, 2010. For 5 months I was given the wrong medicine. Because the numbers corresponded, I was told that I had the correct medicine. This is not true. An error of this magnitude is inconceivable. A mistake as serious as this should not be overlooked. Mistakes like this should not happen. Also on Monday, September 27, 2010, I once again returned to the pharmacy to speak with the manager. Ms. Wollanso Boschulte was no help. Her attitude was as if this mistake did not happen. Ms. Boschulte acted as if I did not know what I was talking about. Ms. Boschulte told me that when I left the store that would be the end of the situation because I did not have any more of the pills remaining. But for 5 months I was taking a Glipizide that did not resemble the medicine I was given on Saturday. In all the years that I have had prescriptions filled, I have never been given the wrong medicine. This incident should be thoroughly investigated. This is just unforgivable. I can no longer trust Wal-Mart Pharmacy to safely fill my prescriptions.

Comments

• Du
      29th of Sep, 2010

one way to be sure who is right/wrong is to look up the pill information

seems as though either you were given a generic or for five months have been taking the wrong medication, or vis versa. However, I would not allow any wal-mart store manager to talk down to me. CALL CORPORATE ASAP! And threaten a law suit. This is against the law.

• Mu
      18th of Dec, 2010

Glipizide 5mg xl or er tablets are available from more than one manufacturer. Glucotrol xl 5mg tabs are also the same drug. Judging from the manager's reaction, I would say that it is likely that they gave you the same drug in a different brand. Each brand has its own unique imprint so if you got a different brand, it would not be identical to your previous tablet. Although the law does not requirethis, as a courtesy, the pharmacist or technician should inform the patient when a different brand is used. Usually they will attach a sticker to the bottle which says something like "medicine may have different shape or color- new brand in use". I must admit that at my pharmacy, patients aren't always informed of brand changes. Some drugs such as lisinopril, simvastatin, and metotoprolol come in many brands, shapes, and sizes. We switch brands pretty often and usually get a few calls per week from concerned patients. If this was the case in your situation, the pharmacist should have taken the time to explain it to you.