Wachovia Bank / counterfeit checks
I am a sales associate at a sewing machine business and recently had a gentleman come into the store looking at machines. His home address was about 100 miles away and I know there are several sewing machine dealers located between our 2 locations. First red flag -
Long story short
He chose a sewing/embroidery machine for his daughter valued at 2800. He immediately pulled out a checkbook to make his purchase. I noticed immediately that the pre-printed address on the check was all in lower case letters. No capitalization of proper nouns! I found this very unusual.
Then I noticed when checking his license (which ended up not really being a license) that his last name was spelled differently by one letter. He didn't seem to be aware of this. Anyway, Wachovia Bank was listed on the check with the phone number 1-800-wachovia. So I called, and 3 times I was shifted to an automated system. I couldn't get any help from any live person. And it was awkward because the customer was standing across the counter from me the whole time. If this was a scam he really played it cool.
I ended up calling another store employee because I wanted the customer to be aware that I had someone else on the phone... I told him that it was our policy not to take any out of town checks without at least 2 forms of ID, which he didn't have. I told him I would hold the machine for him and he said he'd return in a few days. Obviously, he never returned.
I think Wachovia should be aware of this and yet when I called a 4th time after he left, and insisted on speaking to a real person, she didn't seem at all concerned and wasn't really interested.
More Wachovia Bank Complaints & Reviews
- Wells Fargo Mortgage - loan refinance 
- Wells Fargo Dealer Services - late payments / repo 
- Wells Fargo Home Mortgage - loss mitigation department 
- Wells Fargo Home Mortgage - beware of this company! 
- Wells Fargo Auto Finance - wells fargo auto finance ripoff hurting millions of common americans! 
- Wells Fargo - customer service / payment to account
- Wells Fargo - funds transfer to wells fargo - client fraud
- Wells Fargo - foreign currency; poor telephonic customer service from an assistant branch manager
- Wells Fargo - heloc and mortgage fraud
- Wells Fargo - reordering checks