Vonage / Sent to collections for money I did not owe

1 Murrysville, PA, United States Review updated:

I signed up with Vonage in able to work from home and dial accross the country for a lesser price...3 months later my company closed so I no longer needed the service as we only use cellular and have no need for a home phone. I was given the run-around and had 39.99 a month taken out of my account for 6 months!! They would put me on hold for HOURS and then tell me they were unable to cancel...transfer me...put my on hold...it was endless...AND I was told initially that the service would be 9.99/month as oppossed to the 39.99 a month they were charging. When I FINALLY cancelled the account I asked if there was ANYTHING else due $...and I was told that as long as I returned my router I had no more money due. I returned the router and thought I was done with Vonage until I received a COLLECTIONS LETTER (6 months later) in the amount of $109. I was told by the collections company that they received numerous complaints while attempting to collect on Vonage accounts. I explained that not only did I specifically ASK the Vonage rep if anything was owed...but I never receive anything from Vonage saying that I owed $109 and that the first I had heard of it was AFTER THEY FORWARDED ME TO COLLECTIONS!!! Eventually I simply paid the $109 that I DID NOT owe b/c I didn't want a negative item on my credit. How convenient for VONAGE to receive free money not owed to them from NUMEROUS individuals simply b/c they hold a negative credit item over their head if they don't pay money they don't owe!!! I've reported them and hope to hear more soon. TOTAL SCAM...TOTAL FRAUD...UNETHICAL COMPANY that will eventually be figured out and no longer exist.

Comments

• Al
      13th of Mar, 2009

I have to agree strongly with your post, Vonage is like the Mafia/Adolf Hilter of the phone companies, I had a similar experience with them, only when I signed up they allowed you to do it over the web and nowhere was there a clause that stated that early cancellation would result in a penalty, I owned the equipment and what I saw when signning up was pay month to month and no contracts. When I cancelled, they immediately went to try and charge on my credit card on file, lucky for me that I had cancelled it a month prior. I ultimately after being bullied by them with their extorsion e mails agreed to pay their 42.00 cancellation extortion payment.
    I will NEVER use Vonage again, instead I actually found a better solution that hopefully will put vonage to and early demise, this compant is called Ooma www.ooma.com, It can be pricey to lay out the money at first for their unit and setup, but their is no monthly charge and only 99.00 a year if you purchase the premier service, and the clarity and customer service runs circles around vonage tenfold. Give them a try, I did and love the fact that I am contributing to vonage and at&t's demise.