Vonage / Totally inappropriate service for DSL

Vonage wasted days of my time installing their VOIP equipment and calling them trying to get my local telephone number switched to their service, only to find that the service is totally inappropriate for DSL and would have cost me more to use that just keeping the telephone plan I already have with my local telephone carrier.

I spoke at length with Vonage prior to ordering their service (perhaps the service rep didn¹t understand what I was asking as she spoke with an Indian accent). I was assured I could disconnect my local phone service and rely on the VOIP with my DSL connection. The truth is that you cannot disconnect from your local phone company if you have DSL as your DSL uses the phone lines and will no longer work without local telephone service. After a morning of waiting on various phone systems, I determined that the local carrier (in this case Qwest) would give me a dedicated ³dry loop² DSL connection (no telephone service included) at the cost of about $10 more than I already pay for basic telephone service. BOTTOM LINE--I would end up paying $10 more for the same services (local and long distance) I already have, but would no longer be able to receive and send faxes or have a direct connection to 911 emergency line. Instead of paying 2 companies I would be paying three companies.

If consumers already have cable internet, then Vonage might save them money, or if you use a lot of services like call waiting, forwarding etc., or require a second phone line (#) there may be an advantage to Vonage service. But my reading of the information on their website and the information I was given on the telephone would cause me to suspect that many people sign up for Vonage service without fully understanding how it works.

Though I imagine that the information on the Vonage website falls within the letter of the law, I found their presentation of how their service works and the cost savings to be very misleading. Nowhere did I find information that cost of having a dedicated telephone line for DSL service could exceed any cost savings that their service represents.

I am just now in the process of unhooking and repacking all their equipment and sending it back, so hopefully I will not have a problem in retrieving charges Vonage made to my credit card.

Pe

Comments

16th of Jul, 2007

Good luck trying to get your money back from Vonage. I have been in a battle for months with them over a disconnect charge which was their fault. I tried to cancel my service with Vonage, for similar reasons, but my new phone company could not get my number back from Vonage. After many hundreds of hours of phone calls, my phone company still couldn't get my number. Their customer service reps all have a different answer for everything and when you complain, their billing department has a pat answer, with a copy of their cancellation policy. I have disputed the cancellation charge and have filed a complaint with the GA Public Service Commission. I hope others have more luck.

• Jk
      18th of Mar, 2008

I think if you should research products before you purchase them; in this case, it wasn't vonage's fault to tell you that the prices may vary if you have DSL. In fact, you should have recognized that fact yourself. Clearly, if vonage runs on the internet, and DSL runs though the phone line, you should have pieced together the fact that you would still need a telephone line to use the internet, which is necessary for vonage.

• Ft
      27th of Aug, 2010

sucks to be you

• Ae
      20th of Aug, 2018
    Vonage - no gift that was promised, no one responds to my emails
    Philadelphia
    Pennsylvania

was promised a $100 gift card at the time of sign up. its been 4 months and have followed up to everyone that I can reach to. No responses to my emails of complaints that i raise. Even when I have requested for cancellation the service hasn't been cancelled and I am being billed for it still. Horrible service, almost looks like a scam to me.

• Ke
      27th of Oct, 2018
    Vonage - Sales
    Scottsdale
    Arizona

Desiree Casillas out of the Paradise Valley office try's to use sexuality to sell products. If she continues she will find herself in big trouble. It's simply unethical and wrong to seeks a personal relationship with clients and then once your signed up she turns evil. Anything for money nowadays

• Re
      13th of Nov, 2018
    Vonage - refused to refund a credit in my account
    vonage.com

I had a credit for international calls in my account. I closed out my account and paid off the balance with my credit card. When I asked about the credit and getting a refund the agent said that the credit was cancelled. A credit cannot be cancelled!!! I goes in someone's pocket!!! Stay away from VONAGE.!!!